• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Popular Japanese Retailer to stop selling Xbox Series Consoles

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
An announcement on a site of a popular Japanese retailer is to stop selling Xbox Series Consoles.

Comment also says only 1700 software sales have been on Series Consoles since launch.

Seems there is a huge supply issue in Japan at the moment.

Not to start consoles wars please, but do you think this will be a huge hit to MS's plans to hit the Japanese market a bit harder this gen?

Definitely will be a big hit. Not just because of actual revenue and sales but also because of the mindshare that Xbox will lose by not being "present" in one of the biggest stores. That presence could have also helped with sales if a potential on-the-fence customer was looking to buy a next-gen console and couldn't find a PS5.

Xbox can still penetrate the market with Gamepass, xCloud, and software sales on PC, but the impact won't be the same, and this will undo a lot of their efforts trying to penetrate the Japanese market. I think it'll also negatively affect any potential Japanese acquisitions in the future, if there was any plan to do so.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Xbox needs Asian Games, but to get the asian games they need to be present in asian areas. Unfortunately not many people want a Xbox, because Playstation already has everything they need...
Therefore no/less asian games.. it is a devil cycle they cannot break out at the moment...
Maybe they really need a brand like Sega to push in asian areas, but when is the next Wednesday?
I've heard there is one on the 6th, but I can't reveal my sources. 👀

Lognor

Banned
Xbox needs Asian Games, but to get the asian games they need to be present in asian areas. Unfortunately not many people want a Xbox, because Playstation already has everything they need...
Therefore no/less asian games.. it is a devil cycle they cannot break out at the moment...
Maybe they really need a brand like Sega to push in asian areas, but when is the next Wednesday?
But people aren't really buying PS in Japan either. They're buying the Switch. And the Switch is getting more and more of those games that Japanese gamers want. I don't know how Sony turns things around there. But yeah, Xbox has always been dead in Japan.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
This is still bad, very very bad. Can’t believe what I’m reading tbh.
It’s not bad. Xbox has never had much following in Japan and have managed to be successful without. Let’s be honest, even Sony doesn’t care much anymore about Japan. It’s just not that important.

What is important is that Xbox can continue to get Japanese games on their platform. I think this is the only reason Xbox exists in Japan at all.

I mean...yes the Series consoles is a bit of a comeback story for MS. But still far from their first 2 consoles.

They have 2 models with 2 different entry prices, 2 different pieces of hardware. Both of them together are selling 12 or 13 times less than PS5, which according to GAF, is a huge flop.

Most stores probably make no money out of this...Wasn't Series S being discounted in some chains in Japan? Or am I confusing with a different country?
Come on we all know this is bull. In usa, they literally cannot made enough series x to fill the market.

Banned
the Series S sells way more than the X in Japan, and that is really bad for retailers of course... so I get it

wow, so much bullshit in one comment. holy shit this forum is full of delusional people.
the Series consoles are about 2million behind the PS5, and most of that is an issue of actually delivering enough systems because the X is always sold out
Again...this topic is about Japan.
Talking about Japanese hardware sales.

About those 2M behind the PS5 worldwide...source?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It’s not bad. Xbox has never had much following in Japan and have managed to be successful without. Let’s be honest, even Sony doesn’t care much anymore about Japan. It’s just not that important.

What is important is that Xbox can continue to get Japanese games on their platform. I think this is the only reason Xbox exists in Japan at all.
It's a market MS had no chance. And Sony ditching it shows the 100 million people in Japan arent worth chasing after.

Their gaming tastes are so different than the rest of the world where they have pretty similar tastes, its not worth putting too much energy and money into heavy Japanese centric games unless it's something that can be popular everywhere. FF has global appeal. Resident Evil has global appeal. Street Fighter does too. Monster Hunter and Pokemon are big sellers everywhere.

But look at the Japanese game charts and there's so many weird franchises most people have never heard of before. Those kinds of games can work there and Nintendo with portable Switch.

Not sure why gaming tastes are so different. Japan seems to be it's own thing of gaming tastes and genres they like. But just about every other country or regions seem to have much broader and similar tastes in games. Ya, I know Europe is heavier into racing and FIFA and USA/Canada is heavy in NA pro sports leagues, but most other games seem similar in likeability. It doesnt matter if a franchise is made in Japan, US or Europe. If it's good it can sell. Japanese gamers do their own thing.

Last edited:

cireza

People who are already fan of Japanese games either have Switch or PS5 or even both, you don't really got to Xbox if you are fan of those games.
I just bought Melty Blood Type Lumina on Xbox. This narrative has been tiresome for way too long, we should let it get some rest, and let people who own Xboxes enjoy Japanese games without feeling the need to constantly diminish what they can have by conveying these lies. People who spend their time saying this don't even play on Xbox to begin with.

Thanks in advance from the Xbox community.

Yes 100%.

They initially failed, exited the market in order to reassess their approach and then relaunched successfully.

It's a story that Xbox could learn from.

That's pretty interesting.

I know it's off topic but what made Ikea successful in Japan?

yazenov

It makes sense business wise. Retailers get most of their profit from software sales, not hardware sales. So its waste precious retail space to store a console that is not selling well, both in terms of hardware and software.

Its better to push the other 2 consoles since they aren't pushing their consumers towards a rental service that only benefits Microsoft.
Microsoft put the nail in their own coffin in retail when they introduced and pushed Gamepass.

I think many parts of Asia and Europe will follow Japan and stop selling Xbox when they can sell Playstations and Nintendo hardware to benefit from software sales. I mean, look at the UK boxed charts for proof of abysmal boxed Xbox software sales.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
Pretty sure everyone is aware that XBoxnsells like shit in Japan. No surprise there. Frankly, XBox should remove the hardware from the market entirely.

Its also no surprise that Japan is becoming an increasingly mobile driven market. Switch is crazy popular there for this reason (amongst others).

Microsoftnhas been making a huge digital push in Japan. Believe they said growth was something like 300% this year in Japan for GamePass. Hmmmm....why are so many Japanese games appearing in GamePass (even in the US)?

Show me the stats on GamePass in Japan. Don't need hardware for that.....mobile phones. Thats the story for Microsoft and the current measure (not consoles sales) of their Japanese success/failure.

nikolino840

People who are already fan of Japanese games either have Switch or PS5 or even both, you don't really got to Xbox if you are fan of those games.
Sony seems more focused on non jap. games like tlou or uncharted...they make marvel games ..what's more american then marvel heroes? So is not for japan games imho .. because there was nothing japanese in the last sony's show...

GHG

Gold Member
Aside from Apple gear, I think Japan in general is opposed to foreign branded hard goods. Not sure why, but it seems they really favour Japan brands. Maybe it's a quality perception. Maybe foreign goods have shitty distribution and Japanese brands have everything locked up.

But when it comes to more culture related stuff like fashion and shoes, I think Japanese people love US and European gear.

Japan are not "opposed" to foreign branded anything. What they are opposed to is foreign brands and goods that are not well adapted to their culture and standards.

Crazy. I know nothing about Japan unless It’s it’s about cars. Sold in the USA. I’ll have to pay more attention.

That's pretty interesting.

I know it's off topic but what made Ikea successful in Japan?

A brief summary:

And a more extensive read on the subject if you have time:

Fake

Sony seems more focused on non jap. games like tlou or uncharted...they make marvel games ..what's more american then marvel heroes? So is not for japan games imho .. because there was nothing japanese in the last sony's show...

You're talking about first party. Third party still support Playstation, indies to japanese games.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Unfortunately that is true, Sony also is going for same route as well, there still third part Japanese games willing releasing games for PS4/5 like Relayer

GhostOfTsu

Banned
The AAA industry is death in Japan.

If MS buys Sega, all the smaller Japanese franchises (Atlus etc) will die with them without Nintendo and PS support. Japanese just don't care for Xbox and never will.

The timing is also weird just after TGS with the big announcement of the Japanese dub for Starfield and more coming.

Last edited:
Japan are not "opposed" to foreign branded anything. What they are opposed to is foreign brands and goods that are not well adapted to their culture and standards.

A brief summary:

And a more extensive read on the subject if you have time:

Thanks for that. Very interesting how Ikea failed because they tried to apply their western model to Japan. Japanese households are very different than your typical American/European home where space really isn't an issue there. Not to mention having a huge store would make the customers feel uncomfortable due to them living in tight spaces.

Lots of interesting information in both articles.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Possibly.

But it sure seems other countries and regions in the world are more willing to adapt to other brands. As long as it's a decent product at a decent price, it can be a winner. And for gaming, the rest of the world seems open to all kinds of games, game franchises and genres no matter where it's made. Japan not so much.

Skimming your article, there are some nuances that make sense for logistical reasons. Trying to sell a Japanese homeowner a king sized bed with matching giant night stand, dresser, and armoire isn't going to fly. Just like selling a giant US pick up truck with the steering wheel on the other side of it wont either.

Many of the issues seem to be more of an attitude/expectations issue vs. solely product issues.

For example the part where it said Japanese people like to buy stuff and put as little effort into building it, which Ikea is all about for half their stuff. Other people in other countries have no issue with this from the start.

Last edited:

Belthazar

Those software numbers are so abysmal that one has to think that a big chunk of those 92k reported were bought to be resold out of Japan. I mean, I know gamepass is a thing, but still...

BlackTron

It does raise an interesting question. If retailers only want to stock hardware if it leads to physical software sales then what happens to video game consoles when physical game sales decline to the point where none of the consoles are profitable for retailers? Physical game sales just keep declining and people are being nudged toward digital.

That's why you can already buy online game codes at retail. Retailers do not want to get stuck only selling the unprofitable hardware. If the industry gave them no way to sell software at all they would pull the plug in a second.

This is EXACTLY why I said many times Microsoft just needs to leave the Japanese market alone. Give it up guys!!! Just focus on the actual markets that want your product. The extremely low software sales also do not surprise me either for the obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Saber

And what that has to do with he said?
If people like japanese games they will likely to get a PS4/PS5 or Switch because there they can find japanese titles, the fact that Sony isn't making japanese games has nothing to do with it.
Also, Project EVE is a thing.

ReBurn

Gold Member
That's why you can already buy online game codes at retail. Retailers do not want to get stuck only selling the unprofitable hardware. If the industry gave them no way to sell software at all they would pull the plug in a second.
You can't buy PlayStation game codes at retailers, though. Sony shut that down years ago.

Kenpachii

I doubt anybody needs physical game stores these days.

nikolino840

If people like japanese games they will likely to get a PS4/PS5 or Switch because there they can find japanese titles, the fact that Sony isn't making japanese games has nothing to do with it.
Because as I said with the example of the last sony show (the similar e3 that should show the future of sony games) I did not see anything that could have created a crowd of Japanese invading the stores, they also skipped the tgs

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Few details are being missed here.

1: With "Xbox Series" they mean Xbox products in general. Xbox "Series" X|S is not written in katakana in Japan. It's simply written "Series" in romanji.
2: there is a line that clearly clarifies that some newer products will continue to be sold.

Considering that they're also discontinuing the PSP, PS2, PS1, GBA, and Gamecube, it's likely that they're stopping the sale of most older consoles, and that includes 90% of what they offered for Xbox. Point 2 means that they're likely continuing to sell Series X and S, because they're the only "newer products" in that mix.

Incidentally, contrary to what was mentioned in the OP; there's no notice at all on Geo's website. This is a physical sign in a store.

So, this is likely nothing.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
True but Sony entirely lost its first party Japanese games solely focusing on western games, these days I have to rely on it third party to give Japanese games in Playstation. Nintendo in other hand delivers on both first and third party Japanese games.

Cool, Xbox has put solid focus on Japan etc. How about just as much investment elsewhere, they've chased Japan for years with little return? e.g. Australia or South America etc. I'm curious what the sales numbers in Australia are across the S/X hardware combined. I want more Aussies to play with. I'll throw in a combo Kiwis as well give they have a new Azure DC opening up this year too. We have a solid development scene, would be great to have such a push into Aus as they do with places like Japan. Given the close cultural alignments one would think business wise places less far removed from NA culture would be more primary targets of concern.

Bodomism

Banned
Hasn't PS5 sold faster than PS4. I might be wrong be there was a thread recently about this.
This isn't about hardware sales issue but it's all about software sales where those retailers get most of their sales profit from. I doesn't surprise me if PlayStation consoles software space get their size reduced to give more room to Nintendo Switch software in those stores.

In Gibson Tweet since the released of PlayStation 5

Nintendo Switch software sold around 20.4 million copies
PlayStation 5 software sold around 500K copies
XSX/S software sold around 1.7K copies

This is what it looks like for top 50 best selling games in 2021 currently.

Famitsu Top 50 2021
  1. [NSW] Monster Hunter Rise (Capcom) - 2.326.057
  2. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu (Konami) – 1.141.691
  3. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury - 890.581
  4. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure – 756.127
  5. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 606.064
  6. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 509.755
  7. [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft) – 501.934
  8. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 418.058
  9. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield + Expansion Pass (Pokemon Co.) - 314.640
  10. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics - 284.453
  11. [NSW] Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town (Marvelous) – 281.140
  12. [NSW] New Pokemon Snap (Pokemon Co.) - 276.800
  13. [NSW] Super Mario Party - 265.205
  14. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD - 263.674
  15. [NSW] Splatoon 2 - 260.424
  16. [NSW] Miitopia - 248.003
  17. [NSW] Game Builder Garage - 239.178
  18. [NSW] Monster Hunter Stories 2 (Capcom) - 227.554
  19. [PS4] Tales of Arise (Bandai Namco) - 199.668
  20. [NSW] Baseball Spirits 2021 (Konami) - 193.921
  21. [PS4] Resident Evil Village (Capcom) - 191.983
  22. [NSW] Crayon Shin-Chan (Neos) - 183.733
  23. [NSW] Mario Golf: Super Rush - 182.579
  24. [PS4] NieR Replicant (Square Enix) - 158.265
  25. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 149.822
  26. [NSW] Bravely Default II (Square Enix) – 136.091
  27. [NSW] Rune Factory 5 (Marvelous) - 127.968
  28. [NSW] Yu-Gi-Oh! Rush Duel (Konami) - 127.221
  29. [NSW] WarioWare: Get It Together! - 126.317
  30. [NSW] Fitness Boxing 2 (Imagineer) - 115.375
  31. [NSW] New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 114.445
  32. [PS4] Lost Judgement (Sega) – 111.852 NEW
  33. [NSW] Dragon Quest XI S (Square Enix) - 107.807
  34. [NSW] Super Mario 3D All-Stars - 104.782
  35. [NSW] Pikmin 3 Deluxe - 103.273
  36. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 - 97.715
  37. [NSW] Tsukihime (Aniplex) - 85.439
  38. [NSW] Human Fall Flat (Teyon Japan) - 85.310
  39. [PS4] Tsukihime (Aniplex) - 80.042
  40. [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey - 74.949
  41. [NSW] Little Nightmares II (Bandai Namco) - 72.796
  42. [PS4] Samurai Warriors 5 (Koei Tecmo) - 72.727
  43. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! (Bandai Namco) - 70.964
  44. [NSW] Fishing Spirits (Bandai Namco) - 68.180
  45. [PS5] Resident Evil Village (Capcom) - 67.000
  46. [NSW] Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (Marvelous) - 65.620
  47. [NSW] Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (Koei Tecmo) - 62.119
  48. [NSW] Samurai Warriors 5 (Koei Tecmo) - 61.350
  49. [PS5] Tales of Arise (Bandai Namco) - 60.106
  50. [NSW] Minecraft Dungeons (Microsoft) - 59.256
TOTAL: 13.330.013
NSW TOTAL: 12.388.370 (93%)
PS4 TOTAL: 814.537 (6.1%)
PS5 TOTAL: 127.106 (0.9%)

Last edited:

Mr Moose

This isn't about hardware sales issue about it's all about software sales where those retailers get most of their sales profit from. I doesn't surprise me if PlayStation consoles software space get their size reduced to give more room to Nintendo Switch software in those stores.

In Gibson Tweet since the released of PlayStation 5

Nintendo Switch software sold around 20.4 million copies
PlayStation 5 software sold around 500K copies
XSX/S software sold around 17K copies

This is what it looks like for top 50 best selling games in 2021(8th August)

Top 50 YTD 2021

1. [NSW] Monster Hunter Rise (Capcom) - 2.303.192
  2. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu (Konami) – 1.067.953
  3. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury - 836.565
  4. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure – 647.226
  5. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 500.882
  6. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 466.442
  7. [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft) – 398.986
  8. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 354.399
  9. [NSW] Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town (Marvelous) – 281.140
  10. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield + Expansion Pass (Pokemon Co.) - 266.708
  11. [NSW] New Pokemon Snap (Pokemon Co.) - 265.980
  12. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics - 243.347
  13. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD - 234.224
  14. [NSW] Splatoon 2 - 227.512
  15. [NSW] Super Mario Party - 222.336
  16. [NSW] Miitopia - 217.957
  17. [NSW] Monster Hunter Stories 2 (Capcom) - 205.463
  18. [NSW] Game Builder Garage - 200.100
  19. [PS4] Resident Evil Village (Capcom) - 191.983
  20. [NSW] Mario Golf: Super Rush - 161.785
  21. [NSW] Baseball Spirits 2021 (Konami) - 159.492
  22. [PS4] NieR Replicant (Square Enix) - 158.265
  23. [NSW] Crayon Shin-Chan (Neos) - 156.274
  24. [NSW] Bravely Default II (Square Enix) – 136.091
  25. [NSW] Rune Factory 5 (Marvelous) - 127.968
  26. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 123.975
  27. [NSW] Super Mario 3D All-Stars - 104.782
  28. [NSW] Pikmin 3 Deluxe - 103.273
  29. [NSW] Fitness Boxing 2 (Imagineer) - 91.326
  30. [NSW] Dragon Quest XI S (Square Enix) - 89.135
  31. [NSW] Human Fall Flat (Teyon Japan) - 81.457
  32. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 - 81.165
  33. [NSW] New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 80.508
  34. [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey - 74.949
  35. [NSW] Little Nightmares II (Bandai Namco) - 72.796
  36. [PS4] Samurai Warriors 5 (Koei Tecmo) - 72.727
  37. [NSW] Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (Marvelous) - 65.620
  38. [NSW] Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (Koei Tecmo) - 62.119
  39. [NSW] Samurai Warriors 5 (Koei Tecmo) - 61.350
  40. [NSW] Fishing Spirits (Bandai Namco) - 60.360
  41. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! (Bandai Namco) - 59.165
  42. [PS5] Resident Evil Village (Capcom) - 53.953
  43. [NSW] Luigi's Mansion 3 - 45.207
  44. [NSW] Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training - 38.944
  45. [NSW] Minecraft Dungeons (Microsoft) - 38.147
  46. [NSW] Kirby Star Allies - 37.954
  47. [NSW] Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 (Sega) - 36.105
  48. [NSW] Family Trainer (Bandai Namco) - 35.273
  49. [NSW] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Sega) - 34.615
  50. [PS4] Scarlet Nexus (Bandai Namco) - 31.665

NSW - 45
PS4 - 4
PS5 - 1

Platforms market share

TOTAL NSW: 11.160.247 (95.7%)
TOTAL PS4: 449.640 (3.9%)
TOTAL PS5: 53.953(0.5)
TOTAL: 11.668.840

ryqBECv.png
Do you mean 1700, not 17,000?

Kenpachii

So he excludes digital sales, which are the main sales of those other consoles most likely. Pointless list.

Last edited:

Saber

You do understand that Japan and Korea aren't the same country, right? 🤔

Yeah I do...my bad.

True but Sony entirely lost its first party Japanese games solely focusing on western games, these days I have to rely on it third party to give Japanese games in Playstation. Nintendo in other hand delivers on both first and third party Japanese games.

It's sad they are quitting really, totally agree. Still...people find japanese tittles on both, even though stupid Sony is having a preconception on making japanese games.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
They're selling a device they're not making enough money from because it's not selling the physical software they're supposed to make money from.

Of course they don't want it.

Top Bottom