• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Popular Mechanics) The New Xbox One Is Awesome

• Thread starter Deleted member 8095
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Glenn Derene seems to be pretty impressed with the console. They do raise some issues about price, used game restrictions and backwards compatibility but it seems to be a fair article.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...box-one-is-awesome-but-at-what-price-15498762

Redmond, Wash.—At Microsoft's Xbox Campus today, the company gave a first look at its next-generation console, the Xbox One, which is coming out later this year (obviously in time for Christmas). Microsoft clearly noticed the drubbing Sony got a few months ago when that company unveiled the PlayStation 4 without showing off any hardware and learned a lesson. Xbox hardware was definitely shown today: a rectangular vented box with glossy black panels accompanied by a new Kinect that will come standard with the console, and a controller that looks very much like the existing one.

Many of the capabilities of the new Xbox were leaked ahead of time, including the eight-core X86 processor, Blu-ray drive, and new HD Kinect. But it's far more convincing to see it all work in a demo. On stage, Microsoft president of interactive entertainment Don Matrick booted up the Xbox One with an "Xbox On" command. The interface uses the familiar Microsoft Live Tiles, but now integrates a Trending category that combines items that are popular with your friends with those favored by the Xbox community at large. With a command of "Xbox Watch Live TV," Matrick called up "The Price Is Right," then switched to an interactive, voice-controlled TV programming guide called OneGuide that puts every cable box to shame.

This is a new strategy for Microsoft, which for years has been trying to work with cable companies to integrate a tuner into the Xbox. Now the company has obviously abandoned that strategy in favor of an HDMI passthrough with an informational overlay similar to Google TV—though it's worth mentioning that, at first glance, the Xbox UI seems far superior to Google's. That probably means the Xbox One will have no access to your cable box DVR. But the 500 GB on board might allow Xbox to act as its own DVR, a possibility that would undoubtedly unleash an army of lawyers.

Xbox One allows instant switching between games, music, movies, and TV. It even plays live TV within a live tile on the home screen. It also has a Snap Mode similar to Windows 8 that can display additional content next to TV programming. For instance, Xbox has worked out deals with both ESPN and the NFL that will integrate extra angles, real-time commentary, and updates of personalized content such as fantasy leagues while you watch the game. This content can also be pushed to second screens through Microsoft's Smart Glass software that already exists for tablets and smartphones.

Snap Mode also can support Xbox One's integrated Skype client, which works with the new 1080p camera in Kinect. Prepare for a new era of divided attention spans as video calls can coexist on your TV screen as you switch back and forth between TV and games. The Kinect accessory has advanced significantly, hardware-wise. Its camera array can handle 1080p at 30 fps and has active infrared sensing and time-of-flight measurement for individual photons. The company claims that the camera tech is sensitive enough to measure a player's heartbeat, which, when you get past the visceral creepiness of the idea, could be enormously useful for exercise games.

It took a while during the presentation to get to gaming, but a demo of upcoming EA Sports titles was jaw-dropping. Both EA and Call of Duty developers Infinity Ward have created new game engines that produce super high-fidelity rendering of human movement as well as textures that dwarf the capabilities of the current generation of consoles. In addition to EA Sports franchises, demos today included a preview of the next Forza racing game and a sneak peek of Call of Duty Ghosts (now with a playable special forces dog), which will all launch exclusively on the Xbox One.

And that's not the only exclusive content. Microsoft also announced that Xbox will be a platform for original TV content. Xbox Entertainment Studios is teaming up with Steven Spielberg to create a live action series based on the popular Halo franchise.

The crowd here was definitely impressed, but there are still are plenty of unanswered questions and a few caveats that could dull the anticipation for the new console. The biggest question is price. If Microsoft can't bring this thing in at under $500, it will be a tough sell as a mass-market consumer device. Also, what about the content that will be allowed to play on the device? Early word had it that the system won't allow play of used games, which are a big market on existing consoles, allowing people to snatch up older games at a discount. Also, from what we can tell, the new console won't play any games designed for the current Xbox, which will severely limit the available content at launch. Finally, it's about time that Microsoft stopped charging for Xbox Live Gold subscriptions, which put much of the online service's best functionality behind a paywall. The company gave no indication that was going to change.

If Microsoft nails the pricing on Xbox One, they've got a hit on their hands. At least it seems that way from here.

Read more: The New Xbox One Is Awesome—But at What Price? - Popular Mechanics
Follow us: @PopMech on Twitter | popularmechanics on Facebook
Visit us at PopularMechanics.com

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Paid-off, or uninformed journalism?
You be the judge.

Servbot24

Banned
He was impressed by the EA sports games. Fair or not, I'm guessing most of GAF has much higher expectations than that ugly CG demo.

Also, I am not prepared for a new era of divided attention spans. Not at all.

Don Matrick booted up the Xbox One with an "Xbox On" command. The interface uses the familiar Microsoft Live Tiles, but now integrates a Trending category that combines items that are popular with your friends with those favored by the Xbox community at large. With a command of "Xbox Watch Live TV," Matrick called up "The Price Is Right," then switched to an interactive, voice-controlled TV programming guide called OneGuide that puts every cable box to shame.
Ehm, as far as I remember it was Yusuf Mehdi who did that.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
They were totally wrong about colonies on the moon by 1980 in their June 1959 issue.

Don't believe them.

Paches

In addition to EA Sports franchises, demos today included a preview of the next Forza racing game and a sneak peek of Call of Duty Ghosts (now with a playable special forces dog), which will all launch exclusively on the Xbox One.

Huh?

a demo of upcoming EA Sports titles was jaw-dropping
DtkdMMO.gif

Meelow

Banned
All the things you can say about Xbox One, you got to admit Kinect 2 is an impressive piece of technology for what it can do.

How impressed you are with Xbox One is entirely dependent on how much you're interested in non gaming functions on your consoles. He addressed the obvious issues GAF has but doesn't care, which is ultimately the entire target of Xbox One. It's a system trying to leverage additional functionality to get in to the living room.

For me there's nothing good at the conference. But if you genuinely like the idea of the tv stuff it's not "paid off" to write positively about it.

Wow, I don't know what to think about these (maybe highlight in the OP?):

*Don Matrick booted up the Xbox One with an "Xbox On" command. The interface uses the familiar Microsoft Live Tiles, but now integrates a Trending category that combines items that are popular with your friends with those favored by the Xbox community at large. With a command of "Xbox Watch Live TV," Matrick called up "The Price Is Right," then switched to an interactive, voice-controlled TV programming guide called OneGuide that puts every cable box to shame.

**In addition to EA Sports franchises, demos today included a preview of the next Forza racing game and a sneak peek of Call of Duty Ghosts (now with a playable special forces dog), which will all launch exclusively on the Xbox One.

Zukuu

Banned
It's pretty obvious that this is HEAVILY skewed in favor of the x-bone. It doesn't even try to reason the bad sites and makes up wrong info (like cod exclusivity).
Either pretty uninformed or flat out paid-off.

GAF is going to have to get over the fact that this thing is going to be enormously popular in the United States and probably Canada. The writing is on the wall. A lot of people love Live and if they get a PS4 it will be secondary to their Xbox One. The rest of the world is another story altogether. I think you'll see Japan shun it even worse than the 360 and Europe will heavily favor the PS4. But the Xbox One will be huge in North America. That's not to say that Sony won't gain back market share in the U.S. (I think it will), but NA is Xbox land.

In addition to EA Sports franchises, demos today included a preview of the next Forza racing game and a sneak peek of Call of Duty Ghosts (now with a playable special forces dog), which will all launch exclusively on the Xbox One.

Call of Duty Ghosts is only on Xbone now? I thought it was coming out on PC/360/PS3/PS4?

Also I thought the EA Sports thing was pre-rendered or was that incorrect?

Eusis

Glancing at it, particularly the bit about the used games at the end, I think this is the view most non-gamers would have: device seems neat, but won't care much if it's too expensive and can acknowledge some aspects can undermine it... but doesn't actually seem to care all that much about those aspects.

EDIT: And reading it more, I really do think he tried harder than some of them and is doing his best at being even handed. I'd worry more if GameSpot wrote something like this, how would they screw up on something like whether or not it has CoD:Ghosts as an exclusive?

raven777

are these 2 parts accurate? playable as in I get to control as the dog?

Meelow

Banned
Call of Duty Ghosts is only on Xbone now? I thought it was coming out on PC/360/PS3/PS4?

Also I thought the EA Sports thing was pre-rendered or was that incorrect?

Call of Duty Ghosts is coming to PC/360/One/PS3/PS4 and probably Wii U.

And EA confirmed it was pre-rendered.

This site just got the info wrong.

Awesome?

Mandatory online checks, mandatory kinect, no upgradeable hardware, indies gotta find publishers, mandatory hard drive installation, paid online play, kinect watching me, primary casual focus, used game fees and it won't allow use of xbox 360 headsets.

Awesome!

VanWinkle

So EA Sports games and Call of Duty Ghosts are all Xbox One exclusives, eh? There aren't enough eyes to roll on how uniformed these people are.

Eusis

Actually, there's one observation in there I hadn't seriously thought about before:
This is a new strategy for Microsoft, which for years has been trying to work with cable companies to integrate a tuner into the Xbox. Now the company has obviously abandoned that strategy in favor of an HDMI passthrough with an informational overlay similar to Google TV—though it's worth mentioning that, at first glance, the Xbox UI seems far superior to Google's.
Were they really trying to do this? This might say a lot about the pass through set up, and how it may be less that they think this is the future and more an attempt to salvage their original goal they can't reach anymore.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Paid-off, or uninformed journalism?
You be the judge.
Did you read the OP, or even the article within the minute after it was posted? They bring up legitimate issues, also consider the audience they write it for before you expect them to make a checklist like GAF has for the X1's myriad of issues.

But I guess even suggesting any positives about the X1 is too much for folks.

Hex

Banned
It is a person's opinion piece and his lack of experience in the gaming department seems glaring.

Wow, I don't know what to think about these (maybe highlight in the OP?):

*Don Matrick booted up the Xbox One with an "Xbox On" command. The interface uses the familiar Microsoft Live Tiles, but now integrates a Trending category that combines items that are popular with your friends with those favored by the Xbox community at large. With a command of "Xbox Watch Live TV," Matrick called up "The Price Is Right," then switched to an interactive, voice-controlled TV programming guide called OneGuide that puts every cable box to shame.

**In addition to EA Sports franchises, demos today included a preview of the next Forza racing game and a sneak peek of Call of Duty Ghosts (now with a playable special forces dog), which will all launch exclusively on the Xbox One.

It took a while during the presentation to get to gaming, but a demo of upcoming EA Sports titles was jaw-dropping. Both EA and Call of Duty developers Infinity Ward have created new game engines that produce super high-fidelity rendering of human movement as well as textures that dwarf the capabilities of the current generation of consoles. In addition to EA Sports franchises, demos today included a preview of the next Forza racing game and a sneak peek of Call of Duty Ghosts (now with a playable special forces dog), which will all launch exclusively on the Xbox One.

Such BS.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Glancing at it, particularly the bit about the used games at the end, I think this is the view most non-gamers would have: device seems neat, but won't care much if it's too expensive and can acknowledge some aspects can undermine it... but doesn't actually seem to care all that much about those aspects.
Popular Mechanics is a gadgets magazine, and the X1 probably seems like a pretty neat gadget to them.

Paches

Actually, there's one observation in there I hadn't seriously thought about before:

Were they really trying to do this? This might say a lot about the pass through set up, and how it may be less that they think this is the future and more an attempt to salvage their original goal they can't reach anymore.

Cable companies are notoriously difficult to work with. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a compromise on their end where they figured they were too far down that path to give up on the TV idea.

I subscribe to Popular Mechanics magazine and I wouldn't put much credence into what they say. They've always been very xbox biased and nearly everything they write about games is nothing more then PR spin. They praised the first kinect for revolutionizing gaming...

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Op I get it, you want to do your part.
You have been putting in the OT and burning that oil scouring for any and all that look favorably on the Xbox One

I'm sorry but this is an asinine accusation.

Zukuu

Banned
GAF is going to have to get over the fact that this thing is going to be enormously popular in the United States and probably Canada. The writing is on the wall. A lot of people love Live and if they get a PS4 it will be secondary to their Xbox One. The rest of the world is another story altogether. I think you'll see Japan shun it even worse than the 360 and Europe will heavily favor the PS4. But the Xbox One will be huge in North America. That's not to say that Sony won't gain back market share in the U.S. (I think it will), but NA is Xbox land.
It's still a very niche product as it doesn't offer anything NEW, just different. It's not like a SD => HD upgrade or anything, you just get a different controle... for <500 bucks. I don't think even america has a popular market for that.
Combined with the ability to sell games and media hub, it might get sales, but strictly for the TV watcher, they seem to reach as core audience, it really doesn't offer all that much in the end.

How does he know? Has he played it? Used it himself?

There are no caveats that say "assuming Microsoft hits it's targets before launch", etc.

Article should be "The new Xbox One looks awesome" at it's most fair.

Xbox One allows instant switching between games, music, movies, and TV
This was not seen in action which makes the rest of the thing pretty questionable.

Although link baiting and articles like this are the norm in most of journalism so I guess it's par for the course.

Still annoying and stupid, though.

artist

Banned
Call of Duty was exclusive? Nope
Don Mattrick was using Kinect? Nope

Poorly written piece, surprising that it made into the magazine.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Why are Americans supposed to care? Without access to the DVR or On Demand content from cable providers the Xbox One is incapable of providing an adequate alternative to the cable boxes that already inhabit many homes.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Why are Americans supposed to care? Without access to the DVR or On Demand content from cable providers the Xbox One is incapable of providing an adequate alternative to the cable boxes that already inhabit many homes.
You also still need a cable box to plug into your Xbox One, so you can't forgo it entirely.

It can do On Demand. The provider just needs to provide an app. I use the Xfinity app and can access On Demand on my 360 today.

It's still a very niche product as it doesn't offer anything NEW, just different. It's not like a SD => HD upgrade or anything, you just get a different controle... for <500 bucks. I don't think even america has a popular market for that.
Combined with the ability to sell games and media hub, it might get sales, but strictly for the TV watcher, they seem to reach as core audience, it really doesn't offer all that much in the end.

The Xbox brand is very strong in the U.S. due to Madden, Call of Duty, Gears, and Halo. That won't change this generation. Despite the fact that the PS4 might have superior version of TWO of those titles. It's very weird. It seems like that 25 years olds+ greatly prefer Sony. Those people grew up with PS2s and PSXs. But the 18 to college age crowd loves the Xbox.

Top Bottom