• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Popular Mechanics) The New Xbox One Is Awesome

• Thread starter Deleted member 8095
  • Start date

MormaPope

Banned
I went to Google and picked the first pro Xbox One article I found that also brought up some concerns and didn't seem too over the top positive. I should have picked a better one due to the stupid inaccuracies like CoD being an exclusive and what not. I made the thread because I was simply curious to see what the reaction to a pro-XB1 article would be. Here are the results:

-I was called a fan boy
-article author was called a shill/money hats
-MS Paid Popular Mechanics
-Popular Mechanics is always pro MS
-LOL Popular Mechanics doesn't know anything
-Uniformed (which is somewhat true)
-CoD dog jaw gif
-Author is skewed in the favor of XB1
-"smoke and mirrors"

I am not any more pro-MS than I am pro-Sony or Nintendo. I already have a WiiU and E3 will probably decide if I get the PS4/XB1 or both. As a fan of all the big consoles it's becoming incredibly frustrating to be a part of this community when you can't even say you like something without being called a fanboy. Come on GAF, we're better than this!

So you wanted to change the social landscape of a forum by choosing an inaccurate and hyperbolic article? Or you thought choosing a pro Xbox One article would be proof for some sort of thought experiment?

No matter what this all seems really not thought out or intricate.

Almost everything was faked though...the voice commands weren't real time, the footage wasn't live...

Oh I know everything was faked, but that's to be expected for something like this. Live demos are prone to failure because of the setting even though they work great in a normal environment. We've seen it too many times. You probably don't realize how often these things are faked. Even live gameplay demos are faked. I don't doubt what Microsoft showed us will work the way it says it does. It still is a league ahead of TVii. TVii doesn't even work for me because I have a receiver.

FroJay

Banned
Popular Mechanics is owned by the Hearst Corporation. No matter what the MSM does gamers will continue to see through the crap they are presenting.

Hearst is one of the largest diversified communications companies in the world. Its major interests include 15 daily and 36 weekly newspapers and more than 300 magazines worldwide, including Harper's Bazaar, Cosmopolitan, Esquire, Elle, and O, The Oprah Magazine; 29 television stations through Hearst Television, Inc., which reach a combined 18% of U.S. viewers; ownership in leading cable networks, including A+E Networks, and ESPN Inc.; as well as business publishing, digital distribution, television production, newspaper features distribution, and real estate ventures.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
GAF is going to have to get over the fact that this thing is going to be enormously popular in the United States and probably Canada. The writing is on the wall. A lot of people love Live and if they get a PS4 it will be secondary to their Xbox One. The rest of the world is another story altogether. I think you'll see Japan shun it even worse than the 360 and Europe will heavily favor the PS4. But the Xbox One will be huge in North America. That's not to say that Sony won't gain back market share in the U.S. (I think it will), but NA is Xbox land.

360: Early launch advantage. Xbone: Same time.
360:Huge price advantage Xbone:Likely no advantage. Possibly more expensive.

youarealreadydead.gif

I went to Google and picked the first pro Xbox One article I found that also brought up some concerns and didn't seem too over the top positive.
I'm not sure what exactly you're expecting or why you felt the need for some sort of "balancing" article or thread. People are simply discussing things they think will affect them, or the industry upon which this forum is focused on.

The positive parts of the XB1, for a lot of people here, are either superfluous or uninteresting. Snap Mode, Skype, OneGuide and the new Kinect, are interesting and useful to varying degrees to different people. If you wanted to make a thread to discuss any of these features, there isn't anything really stopping you - with or without a positive article behind you - although you may simply find a general lack of interest, as noted above.

Meanwhile, there are legitimate concerns to be discussed around:
  • privacy with an always-on camera and microphone
  • the ability to trade in used games in stores
  • the ability to engage in private sale of used games
  • the ability to lend games
  • the ability to give away used games
  • the ability to play single-player games in the absence of the internet
And Microsoft's PR merry-go-round has not served to allay any concerns. So there's a lot of threads and news around these topics.

While I think comments about being PR shills are unwarranted, I don't know why you'd expect an article that focuses on how great the features that people may not care about are, while only briefly commenting on the many concerns, would be met with a warm reception. Particularly when the part of the article actually about the thing this forum is focused on: video games, is largely inaccurate.

Hatten

I haven't read PM in over 10 years because of articles like these

The magazine long ago devolved into a mere brochure for companies to advertise their new crap. The descriptions of everything from tools to HT equipment became the kind of dribble you usually see in the back of the box, not what you would expect from "journalism"

neptunes

360: Early launch advantage. Xbone: Same time.
360:Huge price advantage Xbone:Likely no advantage. Possibly more expensive.

youarealreadydead.gif
is that why people still subscribe to Live?

Come on, you have to admit that MS made some inroads pertaining to Marketshsre in the west. The one year head start and price Advantage don't mean much if consumers aren't interested. period.

See WiiU

madmackem

Fucking hell did he even watch it, don mattrick did none of that, cod ghost and fifa arnt exclusives, is this man paid for this kind of article, was it researched by a 12 year old ms fanboi.

Alchemy

It took a while during the presentation to get to gaming, but a demo of upcoming EA Sports titles was jaw-dropping.

Popular Mechanics confirmed for paid articles. Not only did it look terrible, but it wasn't even real time. What a load of garbage.

Cynar

GAF is going to have to get over the fact that this thing is going to be enormously popular in the United States and probably Canada. The writing is on the wall. A lot of people love Live and if they get a PS4 it will be secondary to their Xbox One. The rest of the world is another story altogether. I think you'll see Japan shun it even worse than the 360 and Europe will heavily favor the PS4. But the Xbox One will be huge in North America. That's not to say that Sony won't gain back market share in the U.S. (I think it will), but NA is Xbox land.
Ignoring the huge issue with used games(which is a massive deal breaker), in Canada bandwidth caps will be an issue. I see this also slowing adoption of this console.

madmackem

Come on, you have to admit that MS made some inroads pertaining to Marketshsre in the west. The one year head start and price Advantage don't mean much if consumers aren't interested. period.

See WiiU

360 was the only hd next gen console in town for a year to a year plus, are you saying a large part of those inroads werent down to that?.

synce

It wouldn't surprise me if the average person won't know about X1's restrictions until it's in their living room

GQman2121

Banned
Well, if EA Sports and COD are exclusive, they could probably require a blood/urine sample combo to the turn fucking thing on and still sell a 100 million units.

:|

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
It wouldn't surprise me if the average person won't know about X1's restrictions until it's in their living room

Depends on what the restrictions are when they are finalized.

Eusis

Come on, you have to admit that MS made some inroads pertaining to Marketshsre in the west. The one year head start and price Advantage won't do much if consumers aren't interested period.
I think in general success amongst the platform holders has to do with what the others seriously screw up or screw up ENOUGH: Genesis got ahead of the Super Nintendo by a year and hit an audience Nintendo was more or less disregarding until going full crazy in 1994, Sony offered a very impressive machine that, while pricier than older consoles, was not exorbitantly so unlike the Saturn and offered a lot of bang for your buck with games far larger in scope than seen before (on consoles before attachments), Dreamcast was too weak to go on and had the dual albatrosses of the Saturn failure and easy piracy dragging it down while the PS2 had a similar bang as the PS1 BUT NOW WITH DVD PLAYING... and with the 360 you had a similar effect as the PS1: noticeable boost with a reasonable price rise (or you could've bought the Core for some reason), ahead of the PS3/Wii just as PS1 was ahead of N64 and PS2 ahead of GC/Xbox, AND similar to the Saturn Sony went and launched at way too high of a cost for it's time.

Hmmm, we really will see more with E3, the year lead for Wii U looks more Dreamcast than Playstation 1/2, worse probably though I guess the right software could flip that around, and we don't really know the exact dates or pricing on either X1 or PS4. It could well end up it's almost exactly even in the end by releasing at the same time and being similarly powered/priced, but we'll see.
Depends on what the restrictions are when they are finalized.
And it's possible people accidentally stumble on them, at which point it depends on their reaction: do they just accept it, do they dump it back at the store (return or trade-in) and wash their hands of consoles, or do they research, see the PS4 or at least the Wii U doesn't have those restrictions, and gets that instead?

In addition to EA Sports franchises, demos today included a preview of the next Forza racing game and a sneak peek of Call of Duty Ghosts (now with a playable special forces dog), which will all launch exclusively on the Xbox One.

This writer just ruined MS's E3 surprises!!!

neptunes

360 was the only hd next gen console in town for a year to a year plus, are you saying a large part of those inroads werent down to that?.
The main reason the 360 sold well in North Ameroca and continues to do so is because they've made some smart and aggressive marketing decisions over the past 8 years,

A lot of gamers didn't know what live was before the 360, or were even exposed to what social gaming MP gaming. MS had 8 years to establish Live as a brand, it would be foolish to think that it might not have some kind of draw.

Partnering with PC developers and publishers years ago really paid off, their focus may have shifted in the past year or so, but that's understandable for any HW vendor.

See WiiU

Live is and remains their huge key advantage. Not because it's actually a much better service then PSN, but at this point it's the Facebook VS Google Plus thing.

You go where your friends are, that makes it very hard to de-throne the current king.

Of course, Microsoft doesn't have backwards compatibility and is basically forcing a fresh start. Combine that with a totally botched announcement and massive negative feedback and maybe those loyal consumers will talk to each other about how terrible you are and jump ship together. Lord knows you've given them a golden opportunity.

Social media might be the most powerful new system for creating monopolistic business models. If so Microsoft has made a truly amazing mistake here, one for the record books.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
In sure MS is banking on them not caring about always online.

Used games? There's no way they couldn't have seen the backlash coming, yet, somehow they didn't. Truly a disaster. I think always online is getting most of the press but the used games thing will be the dealbreaker for more should they find out.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Did you read the OP, or even the article within the minute after it was posted? They bring up legitimate issues, also consider the audience they write it for before you expect them to make a checklist like GAF has for the X1's myriad of issues.

But I guess even suggesting any positives about the X1 is too much for folks.

The article is semi-truthful, and it doesn't even mention the privacy malice, it is also obvious the 'journalist' went out of his way to talk about games as he does not know what an exclusive is.

Because of the semi-truthful nature of the article, and popular mechanics going out of their way to mention the console, I would assume the journalist had been paid-off.

I also posted on the article before I posted here in that minute. BTB.

I couldn't mention this as well if I wanted to be first post.

The article makes it seem like the only big concern is the price, and it feels forced, of course this machine is going to be sub 500 dollars, I laughed. This is PR bro, in another form.
When the people who read this article see the price is under 500 at launch, they will think of it as a deal, he has already implanted the seeds in their heads.

What is so awesome about it? It didn't even mention the specs, and compare them to the competition. Critical thinkers can spot the intestacies, can you?

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
And it's possible people accidentally stumble on them, at which point it depends on their reaction: do they just accept it, do they dump it back at the store (return or trade-in) and wash their hands of consoles, or do they research, see the PS4 or at least the Wii U doesn't have those restrictions, and gets that instead?

Too many what ifs. Depends on how extent of restriction I think. I mean, if it's you can't play games at all without Internet even though you have a disc and you don't find that out until you don't have Internet(outage, moved, can't afford, etc.) I think a lot of people would ditch the console.

What are the privacy issues people are bringing up? The patents and rumors? None of that has been confirmed at this time, has it? If some of it does come true, god have mercy on MS if the Kinect is streaming video of kids(minors) to... wherever.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Magazines are dying and their readership is older than fox news viewers.

And that's the demographic this article targets, just like the Huffington Post, daddies, and grandaddies.

You figured it out, kudos.

Pops doesn't know the innards, the malice of surveillance, or how to explain the cloud, he will obviously think this is a good deal.

What this article has done is convince pops the X1 is going to be a good machine if it is under 5oo dollars. Which it is, as confirmed by a few retailers in the uk.

Eusis

Live is and remains their huge key advantage. Not because it's actually a much better service then PSN, but at this point it's the Facebook VS Google Plus thing.

You go where your friends are, that makes it very hard to de-throne the current king.

Of course, Microsoft doesn't have backwards compatibility and is basically forcing a fresh start. Combine that with a totally botched announcement and massive negative feedback and maybe those loyal consumers will talk to each other about how terrible you are and jump ship together. Lord knows you've given them a golden opportunity.

Social media might be the most powerful new system for creating monopolistic business models. If so Microsoft has made a truly amazing mistake here, one for the record books.
Well, I think for video games it's weaker because 1. it's not a primary way to be connected, 2. you probably don't have your family there (though I wouldn't want my family on my Facebook personally anyway) and 3. the 100 limit CAN keep one from being too deeply invested anyway. They're both set to raise the cap next gen I believe, at this point it may be more critical and I wouldn't be surprised if the one who gets a stronger foothold next time keeps it.
Too many what ifs. Depends on how extent of restriction I think. I mean, if it's you can't play games at all without Internet even though you have a disc and you don't find that out until you don't have Internet(outage, moved, can't afford, etc.) I think a lot of people would ditch the console.
I was mainly thinking the sharing thing. To be honest I actually sort of wonder how many would up and return it just by not figuring out how to set up the internet or the cable box connectivity, though I guess if the former were a serious concern tablets wouldn't have taken off.

Kusagari

Regardless of whether he was paid or not this is a horribly written article.

Doesn't even get the name of the guy demoing right, gushes over EA CG which barely looked better than current consoles and couldn't take 5 seconds to see that it not playing 360 games is already confirmed.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
They wont, most ppl love stuff updating itself so they dont have to

Now the used games part that is going to be amusing when they first find out.

Depends on what gets finalized in regard to used games.

I was mainly thinking the sharing thing. To be honest I actually sort of wonder how many would up and return it just by not figuring out how to set up the internet or the cable box connectivity, though I guess if the former were a serious concern tablets wouldn't have taken off.

I don't think set up will be much of an issue. Most of the people buying this system will have been raised with similar technology their entire lives. The kids will probably be better at setting it up than the parents that buy it for them.

madmackem

Well, if EA Sports and COD are exclusive, they could probably require a blood/urine sample combo to the turn fucking thing on and still sell a 100 million units.

:|

They arnt at all, xbox gets the maps first as per the deal they have and they get an exclusive MODE for fifa ultimate team on xbox. Nothing more. I guess this writer is a newbie to games press conferences as you need to watch the way they say things all the time because they use words to make things sound better than they are.

Krilekk

Banned
Paid-off, or uninformed journalism?
You be the judge.

I was quite pleased with the reveal. Then I came to GAF and after reading the biggest shitstorm ever I was convinced the system is bad. Some days later I realized GAF is wrong and simply back to f*** everyone but Sony mode.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I was quite pleased with the reveal. Then I came to GAF and after reading the biggest shitstorm ever I was convinced the system is bad. Some days later I realized GAF is wrong and simply back to f*** everyone but Sony mode.

I definitely don't think the reveal is quite as bad as GAF and some other tech sites would have you believe, but there are still definitely some very valid concerns being discussed around here.

GHG

So the jaw dropping things showed were the multiplatform games that will likely look/run better on the ps4? The irony.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

lol at least present the GAF hivemind accurately. Its fuck everyone including Sony. Or did you miss the people who are just waiting for Sony to reveal their drm and anti used games shit at E3 after being suspiciously quiet about it at their press event?

SMT

I'm thinking of the implications of a hacked camera, if me or a loved one is being watched, if ever I walk around naked in my home, will the hacker send a picture of my sexy physique to my workplace? Will people see the scars of my past, will I bear it all, will I be humiliated for not having the body of Adonis?

Microsoft comes off as spiteful ''we had to shutdown 10 internal studios because of used games so here, as a means to make more money, we will implement used game fees'' okay, screw the consumer, they were never important.

Here's the truth: not all games can move millions like Halo. Don't cry.

Then they have the gall to attack the consumer, and accuse them of negativity. They are clearly off the rails.

My wallet says no, but my heart says fuck no.

Copenap

Regardless of whether he was paid or not this is a horribly written article.

Doesn't even get the name of the guy demoing right, gushes over EA CG which barely looked better than current consoles and couldn't take 5 seconds to see that it not playing 360 games is already confirmed.
Came in to pretty much post this except that I can't even say the ea demo looked even a little bit better, it just looked super awkward and without real gameplay any game footage is wothless to me anyways.

Raide

Microsoft marketing = winner.

People thinking CoD is an exclusive to the Xbox must make Microsoft very, very happy.

At this point is pretty much is in the eyes of CoD gamers. Throw in the Exclusive DLC and they already know which version they will buy. Any of the weird DRM and online stuff is not an issue since they will be online always and never trade the game in. :D

Top Bottom