• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Popular streamers implicated in charity scams (Asmongold, OTK, xQc, Ludwig, Hasan and more)

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.jacobwolf.report/p/char...s-off-twitchs-mostwatched-fundraising-streams

Five of Twitch’s most-watched men are sitting in front of a long, white table inside the living room of an Austin, Texas, home. Over the next eight and a half hours, Asmongold, Mizkif, Esfand, Nmp and Rich Campbell will unbox some of the rarest Pokémon cards in the world, worth thousands of dollars.

By the end of the eight and a half hours, the five men raised more than $600,000 for Games for Love, a Washington state-based charity focused on video game distraction therapy for terminally ill children. Before 2020, the charity had never raised more than $50,000 in a single year, according to tax records. But then, when those five members of OTK led more than 37 influencers who ran campaigns for it throughout the next two years, it raised nearly $2 million in donations.

Yet, according to public records, almost half of that money never went to charity.

Behind the scenes, an Atlanta-based marketing company called Softgiving played middleman between the charity and a who’s who of Twitch and YouTube—the likes of OTK, Ludwig Ahgren, aDrive, JustaMinx and other influencers both big and small. And Games for Love wasn’t the only beneficiary.

In 2020 and 2021, Softgiving and those influencers raised a total of $6.2 million in donations, according to publicly available tax records. Yet $2.6 million of that—roughly 42 percent—went to Softgiving to cover its commission and expenses, including influencer fees, those public records show.

In the course of this investigation, The Jacob Wolf Report conducted more than a dozen interviews with influencers, their agents and managers, non-profit industry leaders, academics, attorneys, accountants, competing brand marketing agencies and the charities themselves, many of whom spoke on the record. We also examined more than 250 pages of documents, including public tax returns, partnership contracts, correspondence and web archives for many streams that occurred over that two-year period.

Softgiving compensated itself with roughly $2.6 million of the donations—or approximately 42 percent of the money raised—according to public tax records. The company declined to comment on how much of that went to its bottom line, versus how much of it went to the influencers when asked.

YxCrKqN.png

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
“Somebody makes an allegation against me and now somehow I have to respond to it? No!”

Sure, it’s your prerogative, but if it’s not true, say that it’s not true. Start there.

Charity drives raise a lot of money because they’re intended to go to a good cause, not your checking account.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I only know these names through my time in Classic WoW, but I'm almost certain that Tipsout helps run OTK and was a known grifter. Not only committed actual fraud with a past business but, much more seriously, pretended to be a vanilla WoW lover and didn't have a clue what he was talking about. Don't quote me on any of this, I probably made it all up.

Crazy thing, pretty sure all charity’s take money. Never heard of this softgiving charity before. There a charity the place I work for donate too and the employees do. Every year they show how much they made and what they did in the community. Also, they do show how much they kept to pay some of the employees. Which is almost always half a million to pay for the employees. But that if it true. Who know if they truly are.

So are this blaming the streamers? Or the charity company softgiving?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Most charities use middlemen nowadays. They are predatory, belligerent, and annoying and take big percentages of the money given. The charities known this, but they get more money even after paying the middlemen so they keep with them. Sad state of affairs but it is what it is.

Example but I saw a documentary that was more in depth, I'll see if I can find it.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Not really shocking, a lot of streamers are not really nice people. It took me a long time to find my group of streamers i watch.

Having said that, i'd be surprised if Asmongold is knowingly involved in this. The guy doesnt really seem to care that much about money, and lives like a slob really.

Many of these so called ‘charities‘ are scams. With some of them, only a fraction of every dollar actually makes it to the cause. So sad.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Not really shocking, a lot of streamers are not really nice people. It took me a long time to find my group of streamers i watch.

Having said that, i'd be surprised if Asmongold is knowingly involved in this. The guy doesnt really seem to care that much about money, and lives like a slob really.
Had an older neighbor in Indiana who lived in a dump and it was pretty disgusting in his house

Am very good friends with his son who approached me about possibly buying his dads place when he passed so Kim and I went to kind of look at the house which needed a match set to it

The son always said his dad worked hard his entire life and had a lot of old German money (which is very common in my area as many are descendants from Germany who fled during WW2 and many were wealthy then)

When it came time for his will reading he left his entire fortune of around 9 million dollars to the local Monks and nothing to his son

Never underestimate how much people value money no matter how they live

None of this is shocking in the least.
Its sad how many people scam charities

My wife and I love to help/donate to humane societies and one we worked with for years their director was recently fired for skimming money from the society for personal use for family vacations

Stuart360

Had an older neighbor in Indiana who lived in a dump and it was pretty disgusting in his house

Am very good friends with his son who approached me about possibly buying his dads place when he passed so Kim and I went to kind of look at the house which needed a match set to it

The son always said his dad worked hard his entire life and had a lot of old German money (which is very common in my area as many are descendants from Germany who fled during WW2 and many were wealthy then)

When it came time for his will reading he left his entire fortune of around 9 million dollars to the local Monks and nothing to his son

Never underestimate how much people value money no matter how they live
Yeah thats fair, and i have heard similar stories myself.
I still would be surprised if Asmongold was KNOWINGLY involved in this though.

Life Diff

Neo Member
Literally in the article breaking down they were paid for hosting the events 😅. Hell even the charity organiser published cherry picked stats showing 18% going to streamers.

Yet still get people shouting witch hunt in here. Tiktok really has rotted people's brains. Articles not that long.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Yeah but let's not let that get in the way of a good witch hunt
yeah, where did labeling this a scam come from anyway? I checked the article & they don’t label this that, the only time it’s used is someone else accused specifically Piker of scamming

honestly even if you donate directly (like I raise money for my local Children’s Hospital most years) that doesn’t mean even the causes themselves don’t use the money for things like administrative costs

I'm not sure how the streamers are really implicated here, going by what's in the OP. It sounds like the middleman company got half the money or so, but not that the money necessarily went to the streamers.
yeah, where did labeling this a scam come from anyway? I checked the article & they don’t label this that, the only time it’s used is someone else accused specifically Piker of scamming

honestly even if you donate directly (like I raise money for my local Children’s Hospital most years) that doesn’t mean even the causes themselves don’t use the money for things like administrative costs

This is why I usually wait and see most of the time about 'breaking news' or regarding people digging up stuff on social media, just in case the opposite proves to be true. I did the same with The Completionist until all of the facts were finally laid out.

On a side note I still don't know how that Mizkif guy's career isn't over. Actual SA coverup and blatant proof of racism, yet somehow he was never banned on Twitch(and laughed off both on his first stream back), and OTK not only protected him under their wing but also put him back into the forefront as one of their frontrunners and show hosts. All of it swept under the rug like he was some old beloved hollywood star.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Most charities are scams.....or at least a big chunk never goes to the actual charity (like the case above).
Just from a common sense level, I've never understood people who buy into this stuff. "Let us take large amounts of free money and hold it for 10 seconds so we can then give all of it to someone else. Trust me, I got this." Like ... just donate to the end goal yourself.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Correct me if I'm wrong, but how this works is that the charity itself decides to partner with Softgiving, and which point it consents to paying Softgiving (as a middleman) to organize the campaign. They are doing this because if they use Softgiving's services they would be able to raise more money overall than if they were to try to do it all by themselves, since they don't have the infrastructure or the staffing to organize an event at that level.

Before 2020, the charity had never raised more than $50,000 in a single year, according to tax records. But then, when those five members of OTK led more than 37 influencers who ran campaigns for it throughout the next two years, it raised nearly $2 million in donations.

They must be aware that while overall money raised increases, the "efficiency" of it decreases due to the increased overhead of this kind of an event. Does Games for Love prefer $1 million compared to $50,000? Probably. Are they okay with the fact that so much money went to administration/organizational costs? I assume so. Is that at normal amount of overhead for an event of this size? I don't know. Are the participating streamers in the wrong for participating in this? Also unclear.

Ultimately the crux of the matter is this, as far as I can tell. On its own, a small charity can only do so much to do event planning and marketing for itself. They could hire outside services to do more marketing and event planning for them to increase their donations, but at the cost of more administration costs. What's better, a charity that raises $50,000 where 10% go to administrative costs ( therefore $45,000 goes directly to the charity cause) or a charity that raises $2 million where 50% goes to administrative costs (therefore $1 million goes directly to the charity cause)? For this thought experiment, we are dealing with mutually exclusive scenarios, but that leads us to then ask ourselves - in reality is this actually a mutually exclusive situation?

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm not sure how the streamers are really implicated here, going by what's in the OP. It sounds like the middleman company got half the money or so, but not that the money necessarily went to the streamers.
The main question I have is whether any went back to the streamers in the form of "influencer fees" and, if so, how much?

acm2000

You think the streamers didn't know about the fees they would get before hand? A charity stream is meant to be for the charity not bank rolling yourself.

Barakov

Gold Member
Not surprising. Mizkif is the biggest out of the lot. He's probably the biggest sociopath there. Then again most of these big time streamers are sociopaths on some level.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Asmon is like whiskey. Take a couple of shots and you feel good about everything, but after about half a bottle you're best for some water. Also, under no circumstances should you ingest lethal amounts of either and then assume that anything that comes out the mouth that isn't vomit is a good, sound idea.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
For the naysayers and people who seems to genuinely don't understand the problem. Please take a look at a french initiative:
It exist since 2016. It once had the world record for donations on Twitch. And they don't need the help of a "middlemen" that will take half the money and maybe give some of it back to the influencers. Closer to the US you have Games done quick. Because some initiatives are shady don't mean that all are. But remember that the good ones worked for it. I don't know about this story. But I can see this being a real shitshow, and it need to be explained by all people concerned.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but how this works is that the charity itself decides to partner with Softgiving, and which point it consents to paying Softgiving (as a middleman) to organize the campaign. They are doing this because if they use Softgiving's services they would be able to raise more money overall than if they were to try to do it all by themselves, since they don't have the infrastructure or the staffing to organize an event at that level.

They must be aware that while overall money raised increases, the "efficiency" of it decreases due to the increased overhead of this kind of an event. Does Games for Love prefer $1 million compared to $50,000? Probably. Are they okay with the fact that so much money went to administration/organizational costs? I assume so. Is that at normal amount of overhead for an event of this size? I don't know. Are the participating streamers in the wrong for participating in this? Also unclear.

Ultimately the crux of the matter is this, as far as I can tell. On its own, a small charity can only do so much to do event planning and marketing for itself. They could hire outside services to do more marketing and event planning for them to increase their donations, but at the cost of more administration costs. What's better, a charity that raises $50,000 where 10% go to administrative costs ( therefore $45,000 goes directly to the charity cause) or a charity that raises $2 million where 50% goes to administrative costs (therefore $1 million goes directly to the charity cause)? For this thought experiment, we are dealing with mutually exclusive scenarios, but that leads us to then ask ourselves - in reality is this actually a mutually exclusive situation?
These streamers are already famous and connected to a large audience, and therefore don’t need a middleman organization to accomplish similar fundraising outcomes. I’ve seen smaller streamers raise seven figures solo for charity with sufficient effort. Their reward was a substantial increase in audience and good will which netted them plenty on its own.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Asmon has stated on record multiple times he’s not a good person and would scam his viewers if he could.

To be somehow shocked by this makes YOU the idiot. Mizkif already has had multiple sexual and racism allegations proven true. Rich no longer streams due to how he sexually assaulted a woman.

The list goes on and on. These guys are all in a little club of known pieces of shit, and when any are caught they quickly throw that person out of the club. No honor among thieves. They’ll find one who is holding the most guilty receipts , claim they were behind it all, and throw them out to the streets.

Pop

I don't like Asmon, don't watch him. Don't care for him

However wheres the proof that this is on OTK as an organization? I'm sure Asmon personally didn't handle that money. I have to agree with Asmon here, anyone can make up allegations. Show proof

Sentenza

I'm not really into the inner works of how these "charity funds" usually work, but I thought that "Only a percentage of the money actually goes to the charity" was actually the standard in these cases, rather than the exception.

And I'll tell you more: of the 50+% that went to the charity, you will probably have to subtract another sizable chuck that gets "lost in the cracks" (i.e. "We have to pay the salaries of the people running the charity institution etc") as money transition from one hand to the other.
In the end it's a story as old as charity itself that the "final beneficiary" (i.e. hospitalized children, rescued animals, whatever) gets only a small percentage of the total.

Last edited:

Arsic

I don't like Asmon, don't watch him. Don't care for him

However wheres the proof that this is on OTK as an organization? I'm sure Asmon personally didn't handle that money. I have to agree with Asmon here, anyone can make up allegations. Show proof

Pretty sure when someone throws allegations out at you that you did something shitty, the first thing you’d do as an innocent person is dismantle with proof said allegations.

When you’re guilty? You plead the fifth. Lie. Ignore the problem to see if it goes away. Plus lots more.

I’d be more shocked if it isn’t revealed they didn’t get the majority of that $2.6M as “streamer fees.”

No money should have gone to them. Not unless they are disclosing that up front. At that point it isn’t a charity fundraiser but a grift to skim off the top to fill your own pockets under the guise of doing good.

Sentenza

Pretty sure when someone throws allegations out at you that you did something shitty, the first thing you’d do as an innocent person is dismantle with proof said allegations.
Chances are the man himself has absolutely no clue of what happened to the money.
He participated to a charity event, he got his fee and he forgot about it leaving the rest to accountants and other middlemen.

Same goes for the others, generally speaking.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Source: https://www.jacobwolf.report/p/char...s-off-twitchs-mostwatched-fundraising-streams

Five of Twitch’s most-watched men are sitting in front of a long, white table inside the living room of an Austin, Texas, home. Over the next eight and a half hours, Asmongold, Mizkif, Esfand, Nmp and Rich Campbell will unbox some of the rarest Pokémon cards in the world, worth thousands of dollars.

By the end of the eight and a half hours, the five men raised more than $600,000 for Games for Love, a Washington state-based charity focused on video game distraction therapy for terminally ill children. Before 2020, the charity had never raised more than $50,000 in a single year, according to tax records. But then, when those five members of OTK led more than 37 influencers who ran campaigns for it throughout the next two years, it raised nearly $2 million in donations.

Yet, according to public records, almost half of that money never went to charity.

Behind the scenes, an Atlanta-based marketing company called Softgiving played middleman between the charity and a who’s who of Twitch and YouTube—the likes of OTK, Ludwig Ahgren, aDrive, JustaMinx and other influencers both big and small. And Games for Love wasn’t the only beneficiary.

In 2020 and 2021, Softgiving and those influencers raised a total of $6.2 million in donations, according to publicly available tax records. Yet $2.6 million of that—roughly 42 percent—went to Softgiving to cover its commission and expenses, including influencer fees, those public records show.

In the course of this investigation, The Jacob Wolf Report conducted more than a dozen interviews with influencers, their agents and managers, non-profit industry leaders, academics, attorneys, accountants, competing brand marketing agencies and the charities themselves, many of whom spoke on the record. We also examined more than 250 pages of documents, including public tax returns, partnership contracts, correspondence and web archives for many streams that occurred over that two-year period.

Softgiving compensated itself with roughly $2.6 million of the donations—or approximately 42 percent of the money raised—according to public tax records. The company declined to comment on how much of that went to its bottom line, versus how much of it went to the influencers when asked.

YxCrKqN.png

Any program that is charity = scam.

Arsic

Chances are the man himself has absolutely no clue of what happened to the money.
He participated to a charity event, he got his fee and he forgot about it leaving the rest to accountants and other middlemen.

Same goes for the others, generally speaking.

None of these guys should have got a fee lol.

Sentenza

None of these guys should have got a fee lol.
But that's just your opinion.
And I'm not saying it's a wrong one, just not how it works.
Getting their "contribution fee" is the norm and renouncing it the exception.

It's one of the reasons I never liked organized charities.
Just ot be clear... Do you guys think that it's particularly different when it's a televised event?

Last edited:

Arsic

But that's just your opinion.
And I'm not saying it's a wrong one, just not how it works.
Getting their "contribution fee" is the norm and renouncing it the exception.

It's one of the reasons I never liked organized charities.
Just ot be clear... Do you guys think that it's particularly different when it's a televised event?

I’m of the impression full disclosure up front avoids any of this.

“Doing a charity event. Just know I get to keep 2-3% depending on how much we raise as part of my fee.”

Then if they want to be charitable take their fee earned and donate it right back into the charity… you know to be charitable.

If $2.6M got racked up I don’t think that agency took the majority. I bet the third party got $500K, and the other $2.1 was distributed to the streamers. So if each streamer potentially made $100-300K that’s fucked.

I’d do “charity” streams all the time then. I’m curious how the one DrLupo does regularly for kids with cancer pans out. Does he take big bucks too?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
We had similar discussions in that other charity scam guy who never donated a dime in there 10 years. At least this issue has around half or so of proceeds donated.

That's why always be weary about donating. Especially to social media or gofundme pages etc... If you're going to donate, donate to a charity that puts a huge ratio of dollars to the cause. And is a bonafide registered charity. There's websites that track that. Or find a local charity and donate an afternoon of your time on a weekend. Would you donate to a guy knocking on your front door? Probably not. So why donate to a bunch of grifters on the net?

To be fair, charities need money to pay staff and admin costs. You cant expect any or all to be run 100% based on volunteer work. But for something like digital donations, you'd think practically all of it goes to the charity as there's no building, gear, execs etc.... to pay off. Maybe take some money to cover an accountant to help with paperwork and in this case if some company was needed for digital campaigns they need to get paid too. But $2.6M seem oddly fishy. But hey, as the OP text says part of of it went to covering influencer fees. So in reality they are taking a cut of it but not telling you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom