• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Popular streamers implicated in charity scams (Asmongold, OTK, xQc, Ludwig, Hasan and more)

Gojiira

Oh look Twitch ‘content creators’ who are cunts,act like cunts…Big fucking surprise…I hate all these fucking people, you know which Youtubers/Twitch streamers actually ‘CREATE’ content? People like Miscast,or Boylei Hobby Time,CTG, building dioramas and models etc, you know for the LOVE of the hobby not low effort cash grabs propped up by mentally ill dents and whales…Ugh shame DSP couldnt be implicated here too as well…

Wildebeest

Oh look Twitch ‘content creators’ who are cunts,act like cunts…Big fucking surprise…I hate all these fucking people, you know which Youtubers/Twitch streamers actually ‘CREATE’ content? People like Miscast,or Boylei Hobby Time,CTG, building dioramas and models etc, you know for the LOVE of the hobby not low effort cash grabs propped up by mentally ill dents and whales…Ugh shame DSP couldnt be implicated here too as well…
These streamers don't fool me. They might look like cunts, act like cunts, talk like cunts, but underneath it all I know that despite all superficial appearances they really are cunts.

SHA

Not really shocking, a lot of streamers are not really nice people. It took me a long time to find my group of streamers i watch.

Having said that, i'd be surprised if Asmongold is knowingly involved in this. The guy doesnt really seem to care that much about money, and lives like a slob really.
Even youtubers, I saw how different they behave in front of camera and with visitors, they tend to be worse than the average person morally, you could tell the camera is their escape generally speaking, even the comment section on these videos you notice no one reacting to the streamer strange behavior, like he's in total control with what you see he's doing versus what he wanted you to see from him.

Last edited:
I normally quite like asmond but he just showed his entire ass with that response and attitude.
I'm curious as to the context of the clip.

From the clip alone it's hard to tell if he even knows the context of the "allegation" mentioned. He (and other streamers) get accused of stuff all the time and he's saying I don't need to respond to it.

Without seeing the clip in context it's not possible to know and we all know people will clip something out of context to try to make someone look bad.

That said, if he did know the context of the question/allegation then yeah, that's a pretty shitty response on it.

SHA

When youtubers personalities become stereotype, I think this is the end of the platform, seriously.

MiguelItUp

I have a hard time trusting charities enough as is, and I always do my own research and read the print thoroughly. I'd rather just cut out the middle man and donate directly in any situation. It may not be a part of some gigantic sum of money, which is a shame, sure. But at least it's going directly to the source. I just don't trust any of these narcissistic sociopathic streamers at all.

bender

What time is it?
“Somebody makes an allegation against me and now somehow I have to respond to it? No!”

Sure, it’s your prerogative, but if it’s not true, say that it’s not true. Start there.

Charity drives raise a lot of money because they’re intended to go to a good cause, not your checking account.

How can these streamers be in front of an audience so much and be so bad at this? Dude also makes enough money that he could just write a check equivalent to all he earned and donate it to a charity with a statement saying, "after investigating Softgiving, I wasn't happy with how donations were used and...yadda, yadda".

Codes 208

When youtubers personalities become stereotype, I think this is the end of the platform, seriously.
Unrelated (sorta), but i gotta say i got a lot of enjoyment out of when dream got himself a new asshole torn by the VA of fucking GUMBALL of all people after the recent allegations of him being true to the path of a “minecraft content creator”*

*being a pedo

Last edited:

DrFigs

The charity has to be paid too. it needs to pay staff, probably needs money for financing things like advertisement/reachout, an endowment, etc. it's not that crazy.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So am I reading this wrong but is the core issue here not Softgivings? Like we know how much softgivings essentially took away, and that some of it was streamer fees. But like what if said streamer fees where room, flight and catering?

It sounds like the charity contracted out to marketing and the marketers went out to streamers and asked them to raise money for charity in the same way charities pay to have people out on the street holding a tin. Could they have waved that fee? Absolutely, would many of them have even been involved without the incentive of being paid, I highly doubt it.

Sadly 40% of funds not making it to the people who need it is pretty normal in large scale charity, many people are in it for the money at least here in the UK.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
These streamers are already famous and connected to a large audience, and therefore don’t need a middleman organization to accomplish similar fundraising outcomes. I’ve seen smaller streamers raise seven figures solo for charity with sufficient effort. Their reward was a substantial increase in audience and good will which netted them plenty on its own.

True, they don't. But I'm not sure if it's really fair to get on the streamers' case as part of a "scam" if the charity itself is the one that hired the middleman in order to organize everything on the charity's behalf. Then the criticism would lead to - "I prefer it when a charity raises money in a way where a larger percentage of the proceeds go directly to fund the mission".

Reallink

Somewhere between half and a majority of donations to 99% of charity's goes to paying 6 figure salaries to their bureaucratic "employees" who don't actually do anything, and consultant/marketing firms. They're all scams.

Last edited:

Quantum253

Just like the completionist, and his family charity. This isn't anything new. Most charities work in this middleman manner. Where more than half of the donations go to the operation of the charity and the "awareness" it creates. You are not paying to help anyone or anything. You are donating to a company and public facing influencers to create awareness.
Don't donate to something you don't know where the money is going to. And yes, it does take a special shitty person to use dieing kids to make money

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The charity has to be paid too. it needs to pay staff, probably needs money for financing things like advertisement/reachout, an endowment, etc. it's not that crazy.
Just like the completionist, and his family charity. This isn't anything new. Most charities work in this middleman manner. Where more than half of the donations go to the operation of the charity and the "awareness" it creates. You are not paying to help anyone or anything. You are donating to a company and public facing influencers to create awareness.
Don't donate to something you don't know where the money is going to. And yes, it does take a special shitty person to use dieing kids to make money
Exactly.

The problem is people are ignorant that charities are still run like a business. It just comes down to if it's the traditional one with big operations, offices, TV and mail ads, etc.... Or if it's a YT or Gofundme kind of raising money which should be 10x more streamlined as it's a digital play.

Never the less, people get fooled into thinking that charities are all run with volunteers making $0 and that 100% of the funds get donated to a hospital. As if charities are all run by onslaughts of teenage or college volunteers or the stereotypical social worker flying to Africa to help locals for free. Look up any of the big charities and their public books can show the CEO makes millions. And all the VPs, lawyers, accountants and head office staff make salaries like any other company. They arent doing it for free. It makes sense because anything needs money to keep it going. But it comes down to how much of a ratio it is between funds directly used to support the cause and how is needed for staff overhead, building costs and marketing campaigns.

If there's one thing about charities they do well is portray a message of needing financial help (sales) without a corporate face. Thats easy to do since the face isn't even the product, service or hired actor or employee trying to drive sales. The face is the oppressed or poor person who needs money. I'd bet nobody even knows any big wig names or CEOs from any charity. That makes it easy to forget about the money money money needed to pay for operations like any other business out there whether they are selling blueberry muffins or air conditioners.

Last edited:

Power Pro

Sorry that this is not quite on topic...but why the hell do people watch that Asmongold guy? he's not funny, he's not charismatic, he looks like a bum, he lives like a slob, and from what i see, it seems like all he does is talk over other people's videos in the most uninteresting way possible.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
True, they don't. But I'm not sure if it's really fair to get on the streamers' case as part of a "scam" if the charity itself is the one that hired the middleman in order to organize everything on the charity's behalf. Then the criticism would lead to - "I prefer it when a charity raises money in a way where a larger percentage of the proceeds go directly to fund the mission".

That’s fair. The dynamic of who hired who and how this deal came about matters. It’s one thing if they had no part in the manner of which it was set up by the charity but it’s another if they opted for this in order to fill their already full wallets.

Doom85

Maybe, we will see. It’s best not to draw conclusions and let things play out.

That’s fair. I don’t follow anyone here but Tectone and Emiru who I believe(?) are still members of OTK but I only follow their solo content. I’m hoping they have nothing to do with this shit but I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Sorry that this is not quite on topic...but why the hell do people watch that Asmongold guy? …..he lives like a slob

Okay, I might be wrong (and I never finished watching the whole video), but wasn’t that “house tour” not his actual home he lives in? Like, it’s his childhood home he still owns, I’m not sure if he frequently sleeps/works there if at all. Granted, he should hire someone to clean it and clear out all that junk and such, but still, unless there’s been a video showing his own main house, I don’t think we can judge how he personally lives. Mind you, I’m not a fan of him either, but I’m not for judging the guy unfairly.

I do love that part of the video where he opens the oven and finds old food he just forgot about in there and IIRC both Tectone and Emiru simultaneously turn to the camera with a “WTF?!” look.

showernota

That’s fair. I don’t follow anyone here but Tectone and Emiru who I believe(?) are still members of OTK but I only follow their solo content. I’m hoping they have nothing to do with this shit but I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Okay, I might be wrong (and I never finished watching the whole video), but wasn’t that “house tour” not his actual home he lives in? Like, it’s his childhood home he still owns, I’m not sure if he frequently sleeps/works there if at all. Granted, he should hire someone to clean it and clear out all that junk and such, but still, unless there’s been a video showing his own main house, I don’t think we can judge how he personally lives. Mind you, I’m not a fan of him either, but I’m not for judging the guy unfairly.

I do love that part of the video where he opens the oven and finds old food he just forgot about in there and IIRC both Tectone and Emiru simultaneously turn to the camera with a “WTF?!” look.

It was his mom's house before she passed away year before last, I'm pretty sure it's always been that way as he was growing up

MiguelItUp

Anime localizer drama forces his hand.

This is really messed up too. Apparently she started getting doxxed and death threated because of some line of dialogue from some anime from 2017? People are putting a blame on her when they don't realize that anime, especially ADR scripting, writing, translations, etc. go through multiple people. It doesn't all just fall on one person. I almost feel like this was brought up to shift focus from the other stuff.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

I’ve got bad news for you pal… that’s his house now. His mom passed but that’s where he lives.

He is a degenerate through and through.

As someone who watched him for a long while before noping out he is clearly undiagnosed with lots of mental depression and likely worse. He lives in filth, refuses to eat remotely healthy, and has no hygiene. He has a few teeth left due to dentists removing the rotten ones.

This is a guy who drinks only soda day in day out and refuses to eat any greens or fruits. It’s all just fast food, and trash steaks he cooks at home. Everyday.

He has a clip where he states he’s happy with how he lives because he could opt to go in the other room and cut his own throat but decides not to…. His words not mine.

No one in his circle is getting him the help he legit needs, and it’s laughed off.

I have 0 pity for him. He has all the money in the world to better himself and those around him but opts to remain a degenerate. His mom passing pushed him into a further spiral of depression and more of not taking care of himself in the slightest.

His mom died in a pretty fucked way too but draws you a picture. I recall him saying she was having trouble breathing , was using an oxygen tank and refused to go to the hospital, and lit a cigarette causing a massive fire and giving herself severe burns. You need to put into perspective he’s been raised on this life style of don’t go to doctors, ignore your body , and making dumb decisions.

This is not a man to idolize or cheer on. It’s all sad and pathetic.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
If it's for charity nobody should bank any money, no one. As that's the whole point. Doing a stream for how long hours doesn't really incur any costs that I see.

CARE is also a racket that I don't see has anything to do with an earthquake in Turkey or what will it actually do for it, their intentions lie elsewhere. so it's BS right there regardless of who pocketed the money.

It's why I never give to charity, they are all rackets, even if they want to be good, most today have way too many on the payroll and calling themselves non-profits. They don't make a profit, they just pay their inflated salaries in full.

Scotty W

Gold Member
Am I the only one who didn’t see an issue with this? When I give money to Walmart, I have no interest in what they do with my money. I give money to Twitch streamers because it feels good to give them money. I got my end of the bargain. What, are we gonna start policing what everyone does with all money now? That’s authoritarian! Tell me you are fascist without telling me you are fascist. In any case, capitalism doesn’t provide enough rewards in order to create joy. When I watch streamers unwrapping cards, I feel like I’m flying. I have really severe social anxiety and given that economic times are so tough right now, I am prolly gonna get evicted lol, I need streamers to get me through the day. And you know what? Fuck you! You are just some loser on a forum, and you think Asmongold can’t just do what he does? Fuck y’all!

STARSBarry

Gold Member
This is really messed up too. Apparently she started getting doxxed and death threated because of some line of dialogue from some anime from 2017? People are putting a blame on her when they don't realize that anime, especially ADR scripting, writing, translations, etc. go through multiple people. It doesn't all just fall on one person. I almost feel like this was brought up to shift focus from the other stuff.

I'm pretty sure the fact that she keeps working on projects that always end up with some..
Interesting changes to scenes while also consistantly telling everyone on twitter that questions the... intresting choices that their right wing bigots and incels certainly helped in reducing the flow since 2017. She's a prime example of why I think many companies are moving to AI, because if the translators are going to change the context, what benefit are they?

And even when out of work consistantly defends every massive change to a character other translators make as long as its "progressive"

Not saying death threats are warranted but if you consistantly put yourself in the public eye you always get them... her entire career appears to be doing a bad job, saying that she did that on purpose to piss off the alt-right and antagonising people when it's pointed out even if its not her stuff.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I'm pretty sure the fact that she keeps working on projects that always end up with some..
Interesting changes to scenes while also consistantly telling everyone on twitter that questions the... intresting choices that their right wing bigots and incels certainly helped in reducing the flow since 2017. She's a prime example of why I think many companies are moving to AI, because if the translators are going to change the context, what benefit are they?

She worked on 13 sentinels by the way

LgMJAEn.jpg

And even when out of work consistantly defends every massive change to a character translators make as long as its "progressive"

Not saying death threats are warranted but if you consistantly put yourself in the public eye you always yet them... her entire career appears to be doing a bad job and antagonising people when it's pointed out even if its not her stuff.
Apparently she's been doxxed and harassed for quite sometime, so I wouldn't be surprised if enough if enough, you know? Twitter just being Twitter unfortunately. But that's the thing, writers can write whatever they want. It still has to go through a process of review, editing, finalizing, etc. Changes can be made where they feel is necessary, warranted, etc. Same goes with translations. It's not like one person just does whatever they want and it's finalized, it doesn't work that way. If anyone is at "fault" it's not on a single person, it's on the studio(s).

Last edited:
Source: https://www.jacobwolf.report/p/char...s-off-twitchs-mostwatched-fundraising-streams

Five of Twitch’s most-watched men are sitting in front of a long, white table inside the living room of an Austin, Texas, home. Over the next eight and a half hours, Asmongold, Mizkif, Esfand, Nmp and Rich Campbell will unbox some of the rarest Pokémon cards in the world, worth thousands of dollars.

By the end of the eight and a half hours, the five men raised more than $600,000 for Games for Love, a Washington state-based charity focused on video game distraction therapy for terminally ill children. Before 2020, the charity had never raised more than $50,000 in a single year, according to tax records. But then, when those five members of OTK led more than 37 influencers who ran campaigns for it throughout the next two years, it raised nearly $2 million in donations.

Yet, according to public records, almost half of that money never went to charity.

Behind the scenes, an Atlanta-based marketing company called Softgiving played middleman between the charity and a who’s who of Twitch and YouTube—the likes of OTK, Ludwig Ahgren, aDrive, JustaMinx and other influencers both big and small. And Games for Love wasn’t the only beneficiary.

In 2020 and 2021, Softgiving and those influencers raised a total of $6.2 million in donations, according to publicly available tax records. Yet $2.6 million of that—roughly 42 percent—went to Softgiving to cover its commission and expenses, including influencer fees, those public records show.

In the course of this investigation, The Jacob Wolf Report conducted more than a dozen interviews with influencers, their agents and managers, non-profit industry leaders, academics, attorneys, accountants, competing brand marketing agencies and the charities themselves, many of whom spoke on the record. We also examined more than 250 pages of documents, including public tax returns, partnership contracts, correspondence and web archives for many streams that occurred over that two-year period.

Softgiving compensated itself with roughly $2.6 million of the donations—or approximately 42 percent of the money raised—according to public tax records. The company declined to comment on how much of that went to its bottom line, versus how much of it went to the influencers when asked.

YxCrKqN.png

I hope Ludwig gets shot dead deplorable piece shit stain infesting this planet

Not really shocking, a lot of streamers are not really nice people. It took me a long time to find my group of streamers i watch.

Having said that, i'd be surprised if Asmongold is knowingly involved in this. The guy doesnt really seem to care that much about money, and lives like a slob really.
I would be surprised too. I like some of his content and agree he doesn’t seem to care too much about material possessions. However, I don’t think he can use ignorance as an excuse. His dad worked for the IRS and Asmon himself has a business degree (possibly with an emphasis in accounting), so he should have known to his due diligence. I’d like to see these streamers cut ties with charities that use middlemen and make a donation to offset the fees that were taken.

Had an older neighbor in Indiana who lived in a dump and it was pretty disgusting in his house

Am very good friends with his son who approached me about possibly buying his dads place when he passed so Kim and I went to kind of look at the house which needed a match set to it

The son always said his dad worked hard his entire life and had a lot of old German money (which is very common in my area as many are descendants from Germany who fled during WW2 and many were wealthy then)

When it came time for his will reading he left his entire fortune of around 9 million dollars to the local Monks and nothing to his son

Never underestimate how much people value money no matter how they live

Its sad how many people scam charities

My wife and I love to help/donate to humane societies and one we worked with for years their director was recently fired for skimming money from the society for personal use for family vacations
So dad sounds like an asshole, this is why people hate boomers

Sakura

You think the streamers didn't know about the fees they would get before hand? A charity stream is meant to be for the charity not bank rolling yourself.
I don't really agree with this, and it feels like a lot of people are making a lot of assumptions.
In fundraisers like this, never does 100% of the money go to charity. It's just the way it works when you are paying salaries for everyone, the expenses of running the charity, etc. 50% getting donated isn't really that uncommon.
When someone is in Walmart selling Krispy Kreme doughnuts for charity, a good chunk of that money just goes to paying Krispy Kreme for their doughnuts. Does that mean it is a scam and Krispy Kreme is bad because they get kickbacks from the charity?

If a charity, or middleman in this case, can pay influential people to help raise money, resulting in ultimately even more money raised for the charity than other wise, is that a scam? Is that a bad thing?
You could argue that the streamers should be doing it for free because they are already rich or whatever, but it's hardly a scam, people weren't "tricked" out of their money because if they thought that 100% of their money would be donated then that is kind of on them because that's not how these things work.
Asmongold himself has said numerous times if you want to donate to a charity, always do it directly to the charity so the most money gets there.

Furthermore, we have no idea what the fee breakdown is (assuming there hasn't been an update while I was sleeping). Maybe it is a flat fee for each streamer for participating. Maybe it was a percentage of the total donations. Maybe some streamers got paid and some didn't. Maybe it is just the fees involved in working with twitch, the marketing, etc.

People are making a lot of assumptions without any evidence of actual wrongdoing. As far as I am aware, the only thing we know is that the middle man kept 42% of the money.

She has said she is responsible for that dialogue before, and she has bragged about making changes like that. Not that I think people should go at her directly for it or anything, if you don't like it, voice your complaints and then vote with your wallet imo.

Doom85

I’ve got bad news for you pal… that’s his house now. His mom passed but that’s where he lives.

He is a degenerate through and through.

As someone who watched him for a long while before noping out he is clearly undiagnosed with lots of mental depression and likely worse. He lives in filth, refuses to eat remotely healthy, and has no hygiene. He has a few teeth left due to dentists removing the rotten ones.

This is a guy who drinks only soda day in day out and refuses to eat any greens or fruits. It’s all just fast food, and trash steaks he cooks at home. Everyday.

He has a clip where he states he’s happy with how he lives because he could opt to go in the other room and cut his own throat but decides not to…. His words not mine.

No one in his circle is getting him the help he legit needs, and it’s laughed off.

I have 0 pity for him. He has all the money in the world to better himself and those around him but opts to remain a degenerate. His mom passing pushed him into a further spiral of depression and more of not taking care of himself in the slightest.

His mom died in a pretty fucked way too but draws you a picture. I recall him saying she was having trouble breathing , was using an oxygen tank and refused to go to the hospital, and lit a cigarette causing a massive fire and giving herself severe burns. You need to put into perspective he’s been raised on this life style of don’t go to doctors, ignore your body , and making dumb decisions.

This is not a man to idolize or cheer on. It’s all sad and pathetic.

Season 3 Reaction GIF by Ash vs Evil Dead

Holy shit, that’s a lot to take in.

Obviously if he was knowingly involved in using a charity raise to profit majorly from it, fuck him, but if he hasn’t harmed anyone else but himself with his lifestyle and such, hopefully one day he can get his shit together. Like I said, I’m not a fan, never found him entertaining, but I had no ill will towards him up to this point. Just have to wait and see what the full details and verdict turn out to be regarding this charity ordeal.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Apparently she's been doxxed and harassed for quite sometime, so I wouldn't be surprised if enough if enough, you know? Twitter just being Twitter unfortunately.

I just switch off at this point, one of the key things in every employment iv ever worked is, don't link your job to your social media. Yet everytime someone does it ends the same way. Just don't, it's so simple. Walk away it's fucking twitter.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

sadly isn’t a charity giving more than half the money it raises to the causes actually rare?

Brb "With your kind donation, 1% will go to local charities"

The world is fucked, but it doesn't help when you have people who are already well off financially skimming money off the top. As if what they have isn't enough (yes I know enough is never enough for some people).

MiguelItUp

She has said she is responsible for that dialogue before, and she has bragged about making changes like that. Not that I think people should go at her directly for it or anything, if you don't like it, voice your complaints and then vote with your wallet imo.
I'm sure it's probably because she's tired of dealing with all the nonsense. I wouldn't blame her personally. Exactly!
I just switch off at this point, one of the key things in every employment iv ever worked is, don't link your job to your social media. Yet everytime someone does it ends the same way. Just don't, it's so simple. Walk away it's fucking twitter.
Best thing to do dude. I think it's just harder for some when it connects to your job in various ways. Twitter is just such a mess, lol.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Makes sense, but a lot of people dont have common sense and there's this urge in modern day for some to meld their home life and career into one giant social media profile.

I have a FB acct for fam, friends, close coworkers and the usual holidays pics and personal fun pics. I have a Linkedin for my career, connections, resume etc.... They dont mix. And because my FB is private, and Linkedin is full of professionals talking business, jobs and corporate brown nosing kinds of posts, it's pretty hard to get life ruining drama from either profile.

Twitter, YT, Twitch etc... are big free for alls of stupidity where host and commenters have no filters, bitching and moaning about personal lives, work and bosses, doxxing, people getting depressed and going ape shit on how being popular, cancel culture and shaming, etc...

Although I got to admit, it's entertaining stuff for a lot of us standing on the sidelines watching their idiocy.

-Zelda-

Banned
NEVER donate money to a YouTuber, no matter how much you like their content or how good they seem to be.
This is why we need adblockers back because frankly as much as I like Youtubers, I don't trust any of them. Yes, I appreciate the irony of me making a topic on off topic about youtube videos you may be watching lately on that forum section here.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Not surprised most (if not all) of the names accused are shit streamers and/or react channels.

Last edited:
Top Bottom