• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portable Games of Fall/Winter 2006 (Or: why everyone will be even poorer)

Ponn

Banned
Don't be afraid to pick up Marvel Ultimate Alliance on PSP. Xmen Legends 2 was **** awesome on the PSP and was a fine choice against the console counterparts.

That said, i'm broke this fall and winter. So so broke. I'm actually making a list up of every game I want that is coming up. Putting them in order of absolute must buys/preorder (like FFXII, FFIII, Phoenix Wright, Castlevania, etc) and those that could possible wait (Rogue Galaxy, Capcom Puzzle World, Ghosts and Goblins). The ones on my "can possibly wait" list i'm sticking up on my Amazon.com wish list which I give to my friends and relatives that ask what I want for christmas or my birthday. I will find a way to own them all, I swear it.

Blablurn

932978_20060509_screen003.jpg
> all

Emotions

Few more GBA games:

Scurge: Hive
scurge-hive-20050513045930164.jpg
scurge-hive-20050609073211541.jpg

Juka and the Monophonic Menace
juka-and-the-monophonic-menace-20050623051248213.jpg
juka-and-the-monophonic-menace-20050810095011049.jpg

Pirate Battle
pirate-battle-200405070814424.jpg
pirate-battle-200405070814034.jpg

Naruto: Ninja Council 2
naruto-saikyou-ninja-daikesshuu-2-20040702084815189.jpg
naruto-saikyou-ninja-daikesshuu-2-20040702084816111.jpg

Battle B-Daman Out this month...
battle-b-daman-20060410053826534.jpg
battle-b-daman-20060410053811941.jpg

Honorable Mentions:
Battle B-Daman 2 Sept 19th
Sonic The Hedgehog Genesis

No media for these 2 so far...

Danj

Greenpanda said:
Super Robot Wars: Original Generation 1 & 2 (2 separate releases) - 06/30/06 and fall 2006
gba_taisen_03_qthigh_thumb.jpg

582946_73978_front.jpg

This actually got pushed back to August 8th. Here's some more images:

582946_20060510_screen001.jpg

582946_20060510_screen002.jpg

582946_20060510_screen010.jpg

And it actually has its own game page on Atlus' website now.

Emotions

jj984jj said:
Konductra is a summer game, same with HM.

I know,but since Greenpanda listed stuff that's coming out during the summer for the GBA, i figured i might as well list some interesting DS stuff coming out the same period.

AniHawk

There's seriously too much good shit on the DS this fall. I mean, I could have just a DS and be perfectly satisfied with all those games. Then I have to take into account the Wii launch, TP, Okami, Disgaea 2, VP 2, Yakuza, FFXII, Super Paper Mario and other shit from this gen, and my brain explodes.

I really hope some of this stuff gets delayed. If not, it's the best holiday season EVER. EVER

Emotions

sp0rsk said:
woah there are some cool lookin games in that last post.

what is drawn to life?

Drawn to Life takes players to the next level of interaction and creativity on the Nintendo DS. Your exact drawings populate the game, and no tedious animating or image manipulation is necessary. In other words, your drawing comes to life!

•Rebuild a small village with your stylus, drawing the planets, animals, sun, moon, stars and much more! Watch as your creations interact in the streets with the town population!

• Jump, crawl, charge and battle your way through dark forests, windy meadows, busy cities and tropical islands.

• Drawn to Life provides a powerful, yet easy-to-use paint set, including a 25 color swatch palette, eraser, three brush sizes and flood fill. Not an artist? Tracing templates are available to guide users to create works of art.

Link:
http://www.5thcell.com/

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Emotions said:
I know,but since Greenpanda listed stuff that's coming out during the summer for the GBA, i figured i might as well list some interesting DS stuff coming out the same period.
The only GBA games he listed coming out during the summer were the two that had sequels coming out in the fall (and he listed them together).

jj984jj

reminder said:
Wait... the PSP Bomberman is online too? :eek:
Edit: NVM. It seems Bomberman PSP is some budget game from SCEI/Hudson for the PSP and now Konami is bringing it over. No online.

Beezy

Owning a DS is a gift and a curse. I'm just gonna pick up all the games that I know will be hard to find two months later. Nintendo actually restocks their games, so I don't have to worry about finding them later on.

Cheebs

Beezy said:
Owning a DS is a gift and a curse. I'm just gonna pick up all the games that I know will be hard to find two months later. Nintendo actually restocks their games, so I don't have to worry about finding them later on.
Their less popular ones become hard to find in stores. Meteos comes to mind.

Danj

Fried Newt said:
And the winner in the category of Best Font Design By a Three-Year-Old is...

What's wrong with it? As long as it's readable on a GBA or DS screen, I don't see what the problem is?

Games that won't make it till next year
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Final Fantasy 3/6 (GBA)
- Pheonix Wright: Justice for All (DS)
- Kirby: Squek Squad (DS)
- Tales of the Tempest (DS)
- Diddy Kong Racing (DS)
- Wario the Thief (DS)
- Pokemon Diamond and Pearl (DS)
- Tingle RPG (DS)
- Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (DS)
- ASH (DS)
- Meteos: Disney Edition (DS) - Not sure about this.
- Hot Pxl (PSP)
- Every Extra Extend (PSP)
- Killzone: Liberation (PSP)
- Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP)
- Socom: Fireteam Bravo 2 (PSP) - This is one I'm not really sure about.

If you look at the line-up right there, we have a good enough line-up to last most of next year. The DS's line-up next year is already looking damn fine. The PSP also definitely has a few titles that are very promising.

Symytry

Beezy said:

I agree comletely and I plan to do the same thing. The only publisher to really worry about is Atlus. They make like 10k copies of just about everything. You either pre-order or you never see it. Ever.

That said, this holiday season is a killer again, and just like every other year I've narrowed my purchases down to just a few titles. The rest will have to wait for next years' spring/summer drought if they are still around. And if not...oh well. The only one I currently have pre-ordered is Contact, but I'm going to have to add some other Atlus titles to that list...

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I had a post where I'd found most of the blown up screens in their native resolution...and then firefox crashed so **** it. Some of them look better than they seem in this thread anyway.

And is Scurge GBA still coming? I figured it was just a DS version now.

jj984jj

Eric_S said:
mua14fa.jpg

Is this really a PSP shot (+omghueg amounts of AA), and not a console shot?

Very nice if it is.
Not sure, I took it from Matix's thread.

jjasper

I think Sony coming out with the PSP was the best thing to happen to portable gaming, it's like it woke a sleeping giant. The DS line up with fall is one of the best I have ever seen, and the PSP is doing well on its own too. I last time I really owned a portable system was the original GB, now I own DS lite and PSP it is crazy. I play portables more than anything anymore, and I do it at home.

This thread needs more Killzone, and Powerstone collection!

Cheebs

jjasper said:
IPowerstone collection!
You haven't read much about this game I am assuming then if you think it should be on the list. The ports apparently are done very badly and it is near unplayable.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Stopsign said:
Games that won't make it till next year
- Diddy Kong Racing (DS)
- Meteos: Disney Edition (DS)
- Every Extra Extend (PSP)
- Killzone: Liberation (PSP)
- Socom: Fireteam Bravo 2 (PSP)

those are all this fall :p

ff6 may also be december too.

but wow that psp lsit is so unexciting for me, but the ds list looks awesome. a year ago i would have thought it'd be the opposite. btw, tekken is like in a couple days, not this fall :p

jjasper

Cheebs said:
You haven't read much about this game I am assuming then if you think it should be on the list. The ports apparently are done very badly and it is near unplayable.
You're right, I have just looked at screens and what you just said made me very depressed.

Ganondorfo

Must own for me:

Castlevania: portrait of ruin
Phantom hourglass
Yoshi's island 2
Final fantasy 3
Maximo 2d psp
Megaman zx
Final fantasy VI advance
Final fantasy V advance

IGN said:
"The only disappointment so far is the fact that Square Enix is barely using the upper screen. When wandering around the overworld, the top screen is utilized to display a map to show where players are. But during battles and cutscenes, that upper screen remained black. Hopefully as the game progresses in development Square Enix will find some use for that extra display." (IGN)

The top screen is black during cutscenes and battles because Sqaure is using both CPUs to display graphics on the bottom screen. (i.e. improved graphics during cutscenes and battles)

ZeoVGM

Banned
Cheebs said:
Nintendo the publisher of DKR and FFVI say both are not out this year on their press site.

along with almost every Wii game :p

they just haven't said anything really. i'd be surprised if DKR didnt come out this fall

Cheebs

omg rite said:
along with almost every Wii game :p

they just haven't said anything really. i'd be surprised if DKR didnt come out this fall
No, for DS games that are out this fall without a release date they say "Q4 2006". We already have full dates through october leaving these DS games for November and December that say "Q4 2006".

Custom Robo Arena
Elite Beat Agents
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Yoshi's Island 2

For Nintendo that is VERY packed for a two month lineup for one system, even for the fall. Very unlikely to add more especially DKR which was very early looking at E3.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Eric_S said:
mua14fa.jpg

Is this really a PSP shot (+omghueg amounts of AA), and not a console shot?

Very nice if it is.

I was thinking the same thing myself. If this is what the psp version looks like. oh damn.

Jiggy

1) Is there a genre other than FPS that's not represented spectacularly on DS just with the fall/winter games alone?

2) DS will cost me $450 this fall, give or take a game, and that's assuming I don't import Diamond and Pearl, which I probably will because I'm stupid and wish to make certain that at least 13 of the other DS/GBA games I buy will never, ever be played. I almost hope some stuff is either delayed (FFVI Advance, Kirby DS) or turns out badly (Children of Mana).

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Fabiollo said:
It's an awesome moment to be a portable gamer. And we should all start considering prostitution if we want to play everithing good that's coming for the DS.

Wrong. We should all start considering prostitution if we want to play everything good that's coming for the PSP. If we want to play all the good stuff on DS we should be out on the streets working now.

demi

WHAT THE SHIT! Atlus' press site says SUMMON NIGHT COMES OUT IN AUGUST

WHO IS RIGHT!? Atlus or IGN!!!!

I trust IGN, JULY IT IS

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
DEEP LABYRINTH!

Oh and Star Fox sucks, don't buy it. Who the hell wants to play a bunch of mediocre open-area flying levels shooting down towers? MAKE THE SERIES INTO AN ON-RAILS SHOOTER NINTENDO, YA KNOW THE REASON WHY WE LIKED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Alex

GBA/DS and PS2 kinda ruin the purpose of a next-gen console for me at this point. Maybe in another year or so.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
TekunoRobby said:
MAKE THE SERIES INTO AN ON-RAILS SHOOTER NINTENDO, YA KNOW THE REASON WHY WE LIKED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE.
QFT

Danj said:
What's wrong with it? As long as it's readable on a GBA or DS screen, I don't see what the problem is?

If that's all it takes to satisfy you, then it is indeed a gorgeous and well-balanced font.

...With lowercase letters so narrow you can barely read them, and capital letters the size of your mom. I don't know, I don't think it's too much to ask to have a font with recognizable English letters that is also not fixed-width and horribly unbalanced. Maybe I'm too picky; I also don't consider character art to be good "just as long as it's recognizable as a human on a a GBA screen," or gameplay to be good "just as long as the game doesn't crash."

I like how in "Pilot Info" it looks like each letter is being gradually compressed more and more...

Top Bottom