• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portable Games of Fall/Winter 2006 (Or: why everyone will be even poorer)

JavyOO7

The DS line-up looks **** awesome. I have probably two major concerns from that line-up:

Starfox: on-rails or not I hope this game does not suck. The past 2 have been horrible. I hope this one can live up to SNES SF and N64 SF.

Kirby DS: why don't we have the design like in Canvas Curse? I loved having Kirby go to the direction by painting lines for him and now he goes back the original platforming from past Kirby games. Err.

And okay, add one more concern.

This is ****ing silly. For the fact that so many awesome games are coming out... in the fall. But everyone in GAF has said this many times so I'll be quiet now.

Soul4ger

Is anyone else pissed that it looks like Monster Summoner: Jewel Kingdom or whatever it's called for PSP isn't coming here? That game looks ****ing sweet, and Sony's just letting it sit in Japan. Come on, Atlus!

Anyway, I've essentially been without console gaming since March, and I'm still having a blast. There's a lot of stuff I want this Fall (namely stuff Amir0x mentioned - Yakuza, Zelda: TP, Wii, Okami), but the DS and PSP line-ups really fulfill every need I have. Even DS has Jump Super Stars 2! and Bleach 2nd coming out, and I already play the first two a ton. Rarely do handhelds have great fighters, and while the ones I mentioned aren't technically deep or require much commitment to master, they're still damn fun.

JavyOO7 said:
The DS line-up looks **** awesome. I have probably two major concerns from that line-up:

Starfox: on-rails or not I hope this game does not suck. The past 2 have been horrible. I hope this one can live up to SNES SF and N64 SF.

Kirby DS: why don't we have the design like in Canvas Curse? I loved having Kirby go to the direction by painting lines for him and now he goes back the original platforming from past Kirby games. Err.

And okay, add one more concern.

This is ****ing silly. For the fact that so many awesome games are coming out... in the fall. But everyone in GAF has said this many times so I'll be quiet now.

The fact that Kirby DS is returning to the gameplay used in the best Kirby game ever made makes you concerned? Wtf?

Jiggy

Chris Michael said:
Too bad most of these games look exactly like GBA games (ZX, Kirby, Yoshi's Island 2*, Pokemon, MvsDK).
Chris Michael said:
However, the power is finally availabe on portable platforms, and it mostly isn't being used on the DS. Every 2D game on the DS should look like Castlevania/Kirby Canvas Curse.
Hmm.

cvxfreak

Chris Michael said:
Too bad most of these games look exactly like GBA games (ZX, Kirby, Yoshi's Island 2*, Pokemon, MvsDK).

Chris Michael said:
However, the power is finally availabe on portable platforms, and it mostly isn't being used on the DS. Every 2D game on the DS should look like Castlevania/Kirby Canvas Curse.

what

EDIT: Jiggy beat me to it loooong ago

JavyOO7

A Link to the Past said:
The fact that Kirby DS is returning to the gameplay used in the best Kirby game ever made makes you concerned? Wtf?

I just happen to like how CC played, that's all. I certainly don't mind this Kirby that's coming out but I definitely would not mind a CC sequel too.

KIRBYDSFLY.jpg
kirby-the-amazing-mirror-20041007112310018.jpg

Kirby SS > AM.

ethelred

My one, single gripe with the upcoming DS lineup -- which is all kinds of awesome, particularly with regards to RPGs -- is that its strategy RPG lineup is just abyssmal at this point. Aside from Archaic Sealed Heat, there isn't a single one announced.

For ****'s sake Nintendo, where is our Fire Emblem DS?

Jiggy

Chris Michael said:
The Kirby mentioned in the first post was referring to Kirby Squeek Squad(?).
And you don't think that the same series in the hands of the same developer will look just as good from game to game?

ethelred

Jiggy37 said:
And you don't think that the same series in the hands of the same developer will look just as good from game to game?

Isn't the new one being done by Flagship, rather than HAL like Canvas Curse?

Soul4ger

ethelred said:
For ****'s sake Nintendo, where is our Fire Emblem DS?

I agree with this Jew. Also, it'd be nice for Sega to remake Shining Force II, ala Resurrection of the Dark Dizzle on GBA. And maybe put SFIII on PSP. Twelve is awful, on PSP, and that could use some more SRPGs, too. Any chance of Square Enix putting FFT on DS/PSP? SOMEONE GET TO WORK ON THIS.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
It's impressive that Nintendo used nearly all their popular IPs in 2 years already. I wonder what the hell they will come up with in 2007. WaveRace? FE? A new Metroid?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
VicAlpha said:
It's impressive that Nintendo used nearly all their popular IPs in 2 years already. I wonder what the hell they will come up with in 2007. WaveRace? FE? A new Metroid?
Nintendo should've been actually IP whoring all along, they hardly did it on GCN and it got no games because of that. They still have a lot more options left to work with. That doesn't mean that they only have to use their old IPs either, they should still work on new IPs as well and they show that they finally plan to work on both.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
VicAlpha said:
Pikmin DS.. Please Nintendo..
And I want AWDS2 with WiFi ]:

There are so many games that should be on DS:

Kirby Air Ride
Mario Tennis
Mario Golf
Mario Baseball
Mario Strikers
Fire Emblem
F-Zero
Wave Race
1080 Snowboarding
Pokémon Trading Card Game
Pokémon Pinball
Panel de Pon
Dr. Mario
Super Smash Bros.
Kid Icarus
Excitebike
Punch-Out!!
Donkey Kong Country
Mother
Game & Watch Gallery
Kururin
Pilotwings
Mario Party

That would rock.

PSP and NDS have very very good line-ups for this fall, specially in the US (I don't know if Ridge Racers 2 is going to be released in USA during Q4 2006)
However, in Europe there will be some titles that won't be out this christmas. Zelda, Final 3 (among others) maybe will be released during Q1 07. Socom 2 for the PSP will not be out until march-april 07.

jj984jj

Ridge Racer 2 and Hot Shots Golf 2 for PSP might be this year or early next year, same with GT Mobile. I'm sure we'll find out more at the upcoming PS Meeting.

Zelda is coming out this year in Europe as well though.

jj984jj said:
Ridge Racer 2 and Hot Shots Golf 2 for PSP might be this year or early next year, same with GT Mobile. I'm sure we'll find out more at the upcoming PS Meeting.

Zelda is coming out this year in Europe as well though.

GT Mobile is almost up to Duke Nukem Forever status in my book. It might come out sometime late in 2007, if it is even in development.

Nintendo Spain said in a recent interview that Zelda PH could make a 2007 launch. They are still thinking for a christmas release but it's not 100%.

And I think that GT mobile is still months and months away from its release date (...itf it ever gets released.... )

jj984jj

Robinspain said:
Nintendo Spain said in a recent interview that Zelda PH could make a 2007 launch. They are still thinking for a christmas release but it's not 100%.

And I think that GT mobile is still months and months away from its release date (...itf it ever gets released.... )
The even more recent release date list from Nintendo Germany says it's coming out this year.

Top Bottom