• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portable Games of Fall/Winter 2006 (Or: why everyone will be even poorer)

omg rite said:
those are all this fall :p

ff6 may also be december too.

but wow that psp lsit is so unexciting for me, but the ds list looks awesome. a year ago i would have thought it'd be the opposite. btw, tekken is like in a couple days, not this fall :p

Sorry, I should have said probably won't make it till next year. The ones I wasn't sure about were Meteos, Socom, Every Extra Extend, and Killzone in that whole list. I know Diddy Kong Racing isn't going to make it at all. It might be an Holiday 2007 title. Though sense not much was shown of Killzone during E3 I thought I would put it up there as a question mark. Every Extra Extend and Socom I haven't really been following, so I didn't know how far through development they are.

nitewulf

any PSP shooters coming out, aside from gradius collections? PSP games are region free right, so the japanese releases shoudl work on my US psp?

Ugh, I can't even think of Zelda (or Starfox) without being extremely dissapointed. :(

I wish they didn't take out the online play for Mario Bball...

And you left out a ton of PSP games on the list. Silent Hill, Monster Hunter 2 (prolly 2007), & Metal Gear PSP to name a few.

Amir0x said:
Impossible. Just tell them to stick to 2D! All these 2D games on DS fill my heart with joy.

Too bad most of these games look exactly like GBA games (ZX, Kirby, Yoshi's Island 2*, Pokemon, MvsDK). With all your bitching on the DS's 3D, I wonder how you ever lived through the N64/PS1 days. Things with great cel shading like Dragon Quest Monsters look awesome.

*I would let this one slide of mother ****ing Artoon wasn't developing it.

Edit#23: I forgot to mention the 2 Tales PSP games which probably won't release outside Japan. PSP has an awesome line up too...

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
hmm.. begs the question if you can live off from portables now for your gaming needs

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Guns N' Poops said:
Nah, that's a small 360 or PS3 screenshot.

Here is a PSP pic.

marvel-ultimate-alliance-20060508044420840.jpg

thanks, that keeps me from buying that.

Amir0x

Banned
Chris Michael said:
Too bad most of these games look exactly like GBA games (ZX, Kirby, Yoshi's Island 2*, Pokemon, MvsDK). With all your bitching on the DS's 3D, I wonder how you ever lived through the N64/PS1 days. Things with great cel shading like Dragon Quest Monsters look awesome.

2D has a different standard... it can look beautiful much easier. This N64-era 3D is just ugly all-year round, 24/7. Throwin' cel-shading is like putting makeup on a broad that weighs 600lbs. You cover up some of them blemishes, but there's still 600lbs of pixelated low geometry garbage under it!

I think those 2D games look great, btw. Yoshi's Island 2 needs to work on its style a bit, but the rest is A-OK (although, I don't care for Pokemon).

Amir0x said:
Reaaally... IGN has the European version of Super Monkey Ball Adventure slated for December 31, 2006 - even later than US version. That's cool though. **** Monkey Ball Adventure for all platforms, it sucks.

IGN doing this is annoying. They give fake release dates in place of actual release dates for no good reason - what do they gain by fooling people into believing Magical Vacation 2 is coming out December 31st, 9999?

Chris Michael said:
Ugh, I can't even think of Zelda (or Starfox) without being extremely dissapointed. :(

I wish they didn't take out the online play for Mario Bball...

And you left out a ton of PSP games on the list. Silent Hill, Monster Hunter 2 (prolly 2007), & Metal Gear PSP to name a few.

Wtf no

Pokémon and MvsDK are not GBA quality.

Mariovsdonkeykong6.jpg
01.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
jarosh said:
what i'd like to see on the ds though is a GOOD game with yoshi's story's graphics.

Heh. Yeah, Yoshi's Story visuals were really very attractive. But, the game itself... wow ouch

jarosh

Amir0x said:
Heh. Yeah, Yoshi's Story visuals were really very attractive. But, the game itself... wow ouch
it's a real f*ckin shame those visuals got wasted on such a half-assed game.

A Link to the Past said:
Eh

YI looks better. I didn't like its darker visuals as much.
not sure. i mean i LOVE yi's visuals. but there's something about yoshi's story's graphics... they're so 'real' in a cartoony sense. like plastic or clay, like actual objects. i really like that.

jarosh

Chris Michael said:
It still looks like a flash game I could download for free on something like Newgrounds.
you could say that about pretty much every gba game and about a couple of other ds games. about mario bros, about metal slug etc. about most snes and nes games actually. and guess what, some of them have been made into flash games. i don't see the point.

Pastry

Banned
jj984jj said:
lgeval084qg.jpg

Vahalla Knights

Valhalla Knights looks awesome, I just checked out the full trailer and it comes out pretty soon in Japan. Hopefully someone decides that it deserves to come out in NA.

ethelred said:
I think haters of 2D should be banned.

I don't hate 2D. I love the Gameboys, they're my favorite systems. I didn't mind the 2D on those systems since they couldn't do much better.

However, the power is finally availabe on portable platforms, and it mostly isn't being used on the DS. Every 2D game on the DS should look like Castlevania/Kirby Canvas Curse. Crap 2D like Xenosaga 1+2 and Megaman ZX is inexcusable now.

Then again, if the game is good enough, I don't care about the graphics.

ZeoVGM

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
DEEP LABYRINTH!

Oh and Star Fox sucks, don't buy it. Who the hell wants to play a bunch of mediocre open-area flying levels shooting down towers? MAKE THE SERIES INTO AN ON-RAILS SHOOTER NINTENDO, YA KNOW THE REASON WHY WE LIKED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

different = bad?

assault would have been GREAT if the controls didnt suck ass. sfds is good

ZeoVGM

Banned
Chris Michael said:
I don't hate 2D. I love the Gameboys, they're my favorite systems. I didn't mind the 2D on those systems since they couldn't do much better.

However, the power is finally availabe on portable platforms, and it mostly isn't being used on the DS. Every 2D game on the DS should look like Castlevania/Kirby Canvas Curse. Crap 2D like Xenosaga 1+2 and Megaman ZX is inexcusable now.

ZX looks awesome.

Chris Michael said:

So basically, there's only two levels of 2D - OMGhot and OMGsuck. No inbetween, if ZX isn't the best 2D game you've ever seen, it's "crap 2D".

A Link to the Past said:
So basically, there's only two levels of 2D - OMGhot and OMGsuck. No inbetween, if ZX isn't the best 2D game you've ever seen, it's "crap 2D".

They could at least take advantage of the DS's graphical features that the GBA couldn't do, like particle effects (GBA couldn't do that right? DS does it better anyway). Dynasty Warriors DS looks awesome with particle effects, and Castlevania used it all the time iirc.

Unless ZX does take advantage of stuff like that and I'm just uninformed.

We need some more awesome 2D games on the DS. Namely, after Kirby DS, they NEED to make a Kirby Canvas Curse 2 with tons of multiplayer. Oh, and Yoshi Touch & Go 2.

Chris Michael said:
They could at least take advantage of the DS's graphical features that the GBA couldn't do, like particle effects (GBA couldn't do that right? DS does it better anyway). Dynasty Warriors DS looks awesome with particle effects, and Castlevania used it all the time iirc.

Unless ZX does take advantage of stuff like that and I'm just uninformed.

Does the lack of partical effects make ZX's visuals crappy by your inane scale?

A Link to the Past said:
Does the lack of partical effects make ZX's visuals crappy by your inane scale?

Crappy by DS standards, yes.

I'll use the amirox argument. If Final Fantasy III were on PSP unchanged, it would have inexcusable, crap graphics, correct? Well if something like, say, Megaman Zero were on the DS unchanged, then it would have inexcusable, crap graphics as well.

For RZX it looks like they just ripped the Zero sprites. Some of the backgrounds are decent though.

Chris Michael said:
Crappy by DS standards, yes.

I'll use the amirox argument. If Final Fantasy III were on PSP unchanged, it would have inexcusable, crap graphics, correct? Well if something like, say, Megaman Zero were on the DS unchanged, then it would have inexcusable, crap graphics as well.

For RZX it looks like they just ripped the Zero sprites. Some of the backgrounds are decent though.

The DS standard isn't a handful of games that look super hot.

People like you who use that argument point to screenshots - and rarely bother to point to a video of the game in action.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
jj984jj said:
Yes, online bomberman is coming out for both DS and PSP.

Holy ****ing jesus, is that true?! Real, good old bomberman gameplay online for both DS and PSP? BRAIN AM EXPLODE!!!!!!!!

ZeoVGM

Banned
bmf said:
I'd be ecstatic if they included the levels for Donkey Kong '94 and MvsDK as unlockables.

were the DK94 levels unlockable in MvDK1?

i remember it was originall ygoing to be a remake of DK94, called DK+ or something

Just saw the trailer for Megaman ZX. Still think it looks like a average GBA game. I guess it's all subjective.

Maybe they should've gone 2.5D like the PSP Megaman's...

Kiriku said:
Holy ****ing jesus, is that true?! Real, good old bomberman gameplay online for both DS and PSP? BRAIN AM EXPLODE!!!!!!!!

jj984jj said:
Edit: NVM. It seems Bomberman PSP is some budget game from SCEI/Hudson for the PSP and now Konami is bringing it over. No online.

There is an online Bomberman game in development for the DS, though.
It'll probably look like a GBA game too. :(

Chris Michael said:
Just saw the trailer for Megaman ZX. Still think it looks like a average GBA game. I guess it's all subjective.

Wtf? It doesn't even look bad for a 2D DS game and you're calling it an average GBA game? Are you honestly saying that ZX could be done on GBA?

Christ.

ethelred

Chris Michael said:

No. I'm sorry, but you're seriously out of your mind if you think that ZX looks like an average GBA game. It is not subjective; you're just being delusional here. And yes, your standard seems to be that if a game doesn't look like the best 2D game ever, it looks like crap and that nothing should be 2D unless it is the best ****ing looking thing ever.

Effing nuts.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
It's almost like comparing DoS to GBA Castlevanias. It might not be very noticable in the screens, but it's immediately apparent that it's vastly superior when you see the game in motion. People have very poor judgement in screenshots of this nature.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Chris Michael said:

There is an online Bomberman game in development for the DS, though.
It'll probably look like a GBA game too. :(

Oh crap, got so excited I didn't bother to read the rest of the thread. Should have known it was too good to be true. :(
Well, at least there's hope for the DS version. I hope they don't screw up the classic mode!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
BorkBork said:
It's almost like comparing DoS to GBA Castlevanias. It might not be very noticable in the screens, but it's immediately apparent that it's vastly superior when you see the game in motion. People have very poor judgement in screenshots of this nature.

I like that Soma actually looks like a real person. He always looked stumpy to me in the GBA game.

bluemax

Banned
Thank goodness for Gamefly, there's no way I can afford all these games. I'll buy all the ones that will be hard to find and wait on the ones that will drop in price eventually.

darkvir

Nice list, but it's very scary... I think Nintendo should give the same advice as Kutaragi did... work another job to pay for all this...

DS is fast becoming my fav system of all time.

ethelred

Chris Michael said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utqbZJ6Uhq4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qex-bvLTi2w

I can barely tell the difference in graphical quality! HOW DOES MEGAMAN ZX LOOK SO MUCH BETTER!?

Someone enlighten me!

Oh god, this is insane.

Fine.

Backgrounds in ZX are massively, staggeringly better -- huge increase in color and detail and activity across the board. The sprites are better -- better details, and much, much better, more fluid animations. There's a ton more stuff going on on the screen. The special effects are much better, and ZX (going by the movie link you just posted) is integrating a ton of seamless movies into the gameplay.

How is it arguable that this is a big graphical leap, that it's an excellent looking 2D game and is a big reason why 2D needs to stay alive? It's well above a high quality 2D GBA game, let alone being remotely comparable to an average GBA game (Like, say, Shining Soul).

Andy787

Banned
You guys are seriously nitpicking the difference in 2D between Mega Man Zero and Mega Man ZX? Seriously, does the difference really impact your enjoyment of either title? Does the previous one suddenly become less good? :/

ethelred

Andy787 said:
You guys are seriously nitpicking the difference in 2D between Mega Man Zero and Mega Man ZX? Seriously, does the difference really impact your enjoyment of either title? Does the previous one suddenly become less good? :/

No, what I'm nitpicking is someone saying that ZX shouldn't even be in 2D because it looks so crappy and average-GBA-gameish.

Andy787

Banned
ethelred said:
No, what I'm nitpicking is someone saying that ZX shouldn't even be in 2D because it looks so crappy and average-GBA-gameish.
I'm not disagreeing with you. That's what I meant by "Does the previous one suddenly become less good?", because this is such a retarded thing to argue.

Top Bottom