• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal updated mysteriously, internet detectives assemble-read OP 1st if you have ?'s

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
What is this real? I'm surprised the code hasn't been decoded yet, a link to a web site found, the FTP backdoored and screenshots found. For shame.

V_Ben

Banned
Scipius said:
Well, the radios now have a red light on them. The achievement also lists "0/26" and in the second level I found a radio on top of the camera (which wasn't there originally).

I destroyed the first level radio by walking it into the emancipation grid, but it didn't register anything. With the second though, I noticed the light turned to green as I was about to exit. You will then hear a signal instead of music and the achievement part will register, 1/26.

Time to go through Portal again then. Wonder what's its purpose?

ooh, please do it :) shouldn't take long :D

A Link to the Snitch said:
Obviously, the message is confirming Half-Life 2: Episode 3, Portal 2, Team Fortress 3, and Left 4 Dead 3 will be bundled in The Orange Box 2 this summer.

I hope that's not true. I would literally explode. I want to play them, but I don't want to explode.

It's not true.

Hugbot

Fredescu said:
The best thing to do under the circumstances would be to expect the best possible outcome. That way only disappointment can follow.
Under any circumstances, really.

Fortunately it's a short game so we won't have to wait long for the sequences to hit youtube to be decoded. Hopefully?

The Project Abraham ARG started with Morse code, the all hell broke loose. There was death and viruses and air dropped supplies into the cities. I want to see some companion cubes hidden in the trees by tomorrow.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
There's supposed to be like 17 minutes of audio that needs to be decoded.

Charron said:
There's apparently 26 "Dinosaur" clips with the morse code.

And there's radios in every room/level.
Dinosaur? Portal 2 to feature time travel portal gun, to be released next week. You heard it here first.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The 11 page thread on the Steam forums is madness. :lol I love watching gamer detectives at work! Get 'em guys!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I notice that not only is Portal updated, by my Steam Queue shows updates coming for Episode 2 and the Source Engine.

dc`

Neo Member
I took the radio from the chamber at the start through a doorway and it started morse-coding me. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Shard said:
I notice that not only is Portal updated, by my Steam Queue shows updates coming for Episode 2 and the Source Engine.

why the fuck do I have to be at work in a time like this........ARGH!

there is definately some high level shit going on here.

MGrant

I swear to FUCKING dog, if they surprise release Ep. 3 before I get my PC moved to my new place, everybody dies.

14a99n4.jpg

Alright, we need to isolate that frequency and examine it across multiple wavelengths. We need another team to hack the mainframe and scan the diagnostics for any anomalies within the source or any unusual IPs.

man that is so weird, I totally just reinstalled portal and played through it again today for the first time in a year.

where in the game is this noise from the youtube clip heard, just any radio?

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
theinfinityissue said:
man that is so weird, I totally just reinstalled portal and played through it again today for the first time in a year.

That noise comes from carrying a radio through an emancipation grid.

Translated morse codes so far:

=====================================
Interior transmission active
External data line active
Message digest active

System data dump active
User back up active
Password back up active

Hylian7

theinfinityissue said:

Grab any radio you see, take it to the nearest button switch.

randomwab

Charron said:
That noise comes from carrying a radio through an emancipation grid.

Translated morse codes so far:

Interior transmission active
External data line active
Message digest active

System data dump active
User back up active
Password back up active

I'm getting the feeling that this is hinting that Glados backed itself up before it borked up. SHE'S STILL ALIVE, FOLKS!

Scipius

Well, it's an additional puzzle in every level. You have to first find the radio and then move it the spot where the signal is picked up (different in each level); the achievement counter will then register and will remain so when you redo the level (i.e. you only need to do it once).

No idea what the meaning is though, I'm not recording the signals.

Suairyu

Banned
Re-downloading Portal now. Was about to go to bed but I think my excitement levels might sustain me all night.

Combine

Banned
Damn it, I've waited far too long for any Half Life/Portal news from Valve after they've been content to just solely focus on L4D.

Please please something new. I was just replaying Ep2 the other day and really am missing single-player Valve. :(

GlaDOS is totally going to hack the Combine Overwatch in Ep3. :D

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Also found in the Morse:

9e107d9d372bb6826bd81d3542a419d6

Which is the md5 hash of "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog".

And a series of spelled-out BEEPs which apparently translates to "LOL".

Odds of Valve fucking with us rising.

reetva

Banned
That sound clip is someone yelling for help. The "Quick Brown Fox" thing is part of an Aperture application test. Guys, this is a retelling of GlaDOS's murder of the Aperture employees. Hype is through the roof.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Charron said:
Also found in the Morse:

9e107d9d372bb6826bd81d3542a419d6

Which is the md5 hash of "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog".

And a series of spelled-out BEEPs which apparently translates to "LOL".

Odds of Valve fucking with us rising.

Isn't that what you're supposed to say when configuring your microphone in Windows?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
zombieshavebrains said:
Isn't that what you're supposed to say when configuring your microphone in Windows?
It's just a basic sentence that is well known for containing every letter of the alphabet.

V_Ben

Banned
reetva said:
That sound clip is someone yelling for help. The "Quick Brown Fox" thing is part of an Aperture application test. Guys, this is a retelling of GlaDOS's murder of the Aperture employees. Hype is through the roof.

whoa. that could be pretty intense :-/

Top Bottom