• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal updated mysteriously, internet detectives assemble-read OP 1st if you have ?'s

Leonsito

Well, I don't mean Dog is made from Aperture robots, just that he is dragging the body, maybe the voice is a voice synth, or the robot of Cave Johnson with Dog, Gordon and company :D

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Leonsito said:
Well, I don't mean Dog is made from Aperture robots, just that he is dragging the body, maybe the voice is a voice synth, or the robot of Cave Johnson with Dog, Gordon and company :D

Or its a totally different robot dragging Chell and not DOG at all.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Leonsito said:

I know you're probably not being entirely serious, but at least get the continuity right with your joke predictions! Portal takes place before Half-Life 1; For fuck's sake, Dog doesn't even exist yet!

Sorry, I went off the handle there a little. I think I'm just upset my Cave Johnson = CAVEMAN joke theory didn't get more play in this thread.

Leonsito

morningbus said:
I know you're probably not being entirely serious, but at least get the continuity right with your joke predictions! Portal takes place before Half-Life 1; For fuck's sake, Dog doesn't even exist yet!

Sorry, I went off the handle there a little. I think I'm just upset my Cave Johnson = CAVEMAN joke theory didn't get more play in this thread.

Time travel !! :D

Ok, I'll stop :(

Twig

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
Vines, mosses, and bushes are endemic to the deepest rainforests of South America and Africa. The rest of the planet Earth is a flat grassland.
Oh yeah how could I forget thanks for reminding me.

Fireye

Co-op not really confirmed. The images decoded by the QBasic program state that the "cooperative" trial has completed. You're digging (granted, not a far flung idea) if you think it's talking about co-op play. Many people think it's related to the cooperative effort that we've all put forward to decypher everything.

RJT

Fireye said:
Co-op not really confirmed. The images decoded by the QBasic program state that the "cooperative" trial has completed. You're digging (granted, not a far flung idea) if you think it's talking about co-op play. Many people think it's related to the cooperative effort that we've all put forward to decypher everything.
My theory is:

"Cooperative trial completed." means Internet Detective Force assembled.

"Because of the success, we're moving forward with the project" means they're getting coop in the game.

"You'll be contacted when cooperative initiative is ready to take applicants" means they'll have a beta version.

Rur0ni

RJT said:
My theory is:

"Cooperative trial completed." means Internet Detective Force assembled.

"Because of the success, we're moving forward with the project" means they're getting coop in the game.

"You'll be contacted when cooperative initiative is ready to take applicants" means they'll have a beta version.
How astute.

Achievement get!

Fireye

Gamestop posted a pretty detailed blurb in their product description:
Coming this holiday. Portal 2 is the sequel to 2007's Game of the Year and draws from the award-winning formula of innovative game play, story, and music that earned the original over 70 industry accolades. Features single and multiplayer co-op modes.Portal 2 draws from the award-winning formula of innovative gameplay, story, and music that earned the original Portal over 70 industry accolades and created a cult following. The single-player portion of Portal 2 introduces a cast of dynamic new characters, a host of fresh puzzle elements, and a much larger set of devious test chambers. Players will explore never-before-seen areas of the Aperture Science Labs and be reunited with GLaDOS, the occasionally murderous computer companion who guided them through the original game. The game’s two-player cooperative mode features its own entirely separate campaign with a unique story, test chambers, and two new player characters. This new mode forces players to reconsider everything they thought they knew about portals. Success will require them to not just act cooperatively, but to think cooperatively.
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77276

Co-op mode, no word on further multiplayer.

RJT

The game’s two-player cooperative mode features its own entirely separate campaign with a unique story, test chambers, and two new player characters. This new mode forces players to reconsider everything they thought they knew about portals. Success will require them to not just act cooperatively, but to think cooperatively.

Oh shit. Game of forever confirmed!

Sibylus

Banned
If the Gamestop blurb is accurate...

HYPE!

I'm officially calling it now: one player gets a blue portal gun and the other gets orange. Interesting cooperative travel ensues.

Saty

Holly hell.

But if to take the naysayers side, i hope the new SP campaign is good. Says you visit new areas in the Aperture complex, so the game doesn't take place in another setting and maybe not long after the original.

They could do one portal from each gun for each player. But what if there where two more. (Green and Red) Then buttons on the level swap which colors are connected. zomg.

Sounds good. There is one plot element that should apply to the next game we never addressed in this thread. What about the other daughters that Glados had in stasis. Surely Chell wasn't the very last one. I had assumed that any sequel would have Chell trying to rescue the rest of the test subjects.

Fireye

I <3 Memes said:
Sounds good. There is one plot element that should apply to the next game we never addressed in this thread. What about the other daughters that Glados had in stasis. Surely Chell wasn't the very last one. I had assumed that any sequel would have Chell trying to rescue the rest of the test subjects.

Could be. But who's to say there ever were any other test subjects? I don't see any concrete proof that there were any previous tests. There are "hidden" areas which have crazy scribbles on them, but it's generally written in the same ink that's used to mark your way forward. Why couldn't GLaDOS set the entire up, including those odd hidden areas, since it's obvious (to me) her purpose is to train someone capable of using the portal gun.

... it's a lot of work, but there's no firm proof of other test subjects, IMO. Just conjecture.

Fireye said:
Could be. But who's to say there ever were any other test subjects? I don't see any concrete proof that there were any previous tests. There are "hidden" areas which have crazy scribbles on them, but it's generally written in the same ink that's used to mark your way forward. Why couldn't GLaDOS set the entire up, including those odd hidden areas, since it's obvious (to me) her purpose is to train someone capable of using the portal gun.

... it's a lot of work, but there's no firm proof of other test subjects, IMO. Just conjecture.

: |

You're joking right? And I'm just not getting the joke right?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
pre-ordered the 360 version from gamestop just now. (My pc can barely run Portal 1 now!)

Fireye

I <3 Memes said:
: |

You're joking right? And I'm just not getting the joke right?

Do you ever SEE other test subjects? I wouldn't take it for granted that they're out there. GLaDOS never stops "Enhancing the Truth", really.

Posted this in the other thread, but in case anyone here would like to think about it:

And I'm not sure if it's going to be "one guy gets blue portal, other guy gets orange." Only one robot looked like it had a portal gun. Maybe one person shoots portals, but the other guy can use devices or carry certain things (like maybe even the other player)?

I'm thinking of something like in Zelda: Spirit Tracks, where the one with the portal gun needs to shoot an exit onto a wall, but to get the gun aimed up they have to cross a pool of acid with no safe scaffold or platform. Player two picks them up and carries them across the acid, Player one shoots the portals, they get carried back.

Maybe Player Two could also have some kind of weapon or melee attack that allows them to bash turrets or possibly enemy robots to protect the portal carrier, or (like the Phantom Zelda in Spirit Tracks), won't be attacked by enemies and so can go into dangerous enemy-filled areas to turn on switches or collect cubes and other items.

cramcakes

EmCeeGramr said:
Posted this in the other thread, but in case anyone here would like to think about it:

And I'm not sure if it's going to be "one guy gets blue portal, other guy gets orange." Only one robot looked like it had a portal gun. Maybe one person shoots portals, but the other guy can use devices or carry certain things (like maybe even the other player)?

I'm thinking of something like in Zelda: Spirit Tracks, where the one with the portal gun needs to shoot an exit onto a wall, but to get the gun aimed up they have to cross a pool of acid with no safe scaffold or platform. Player two picks them up and carries them across the acid, Player one shoots the portals, they get carried back.

Maybe Player Two could also have some kind of weapon or melee attack that allows them to bash turrets or possibly enemy robots to protect the portal carrier, or (like the Phantom Zelda in Spirit Tracks), won't be attacked by enemies and so can go into dangerous enemy-filled areas to turn on switches or collect cubes and other items.

Player 1 gets Portal Gun. Player 2 gets gravity gun. :0

FOOTE

TheOneGuy said:
s...sixty?

EDIT: Oh, right, consoles, lol.
Not that I'm getting it for a console. Just happy it will (apparently) be a full(ish?) game.

Shit I still play hl2dm on a regular basis

Fireye said:
Do you ever SEE other test subjects? I wouldn't take it for granted that they're out there. GLaDOS never stops "Enhancing the Truth", really.

If you are waiting for dialog and cutscenes to tell you the story in a Valve game then you are going to be waiting until never because that's not how Valve does it. Writing on walls, used food and water canisters (and a bucket for ummm other uses), and visual evidence of attempts to get out of the test chamber rooms is how Valve tells their stories.

Fireye

I <3 Memes said:
If you are waiting for dialog and cutscenes to tell you the story in a Valve game then you are going to be waiting until never because that's not how Valve does it. Writing on walls, used food and water canisters (and a bucket for ummm other uses), and visual evidence of attempts to get out of the test chamber rooms is how Valve tells their stories.

Believe me, I'm aware of that stuff. But ANYTHING inside of the Aperture Test Laboratory is suspect in my mind.

Red Scarlet

Ok so Portal 2 is coming out, was this game updated again today? Or are the people mentioning 2 player Portal just talking about P2?

Fireye

Red Scarlet said:
Ok so Portal 2 is coming out, was this game updated again today? Or are the people mentioning 2 player Portal just talking about P2?

There have been no further updates to Portal1 that I'm aware of.

Sibylus

Banned
Yeah, I was surprised Scarlet was able to host locally in the first place (I haven't been able to do it). On top of that, 100 ping!

Red Scarlet said:
Hooray, Synergy is working pretty good now with me as the server host! At least I can't FF you Botolf.
Pretty much the only way to FF in Syn would be to get lucky and crush people under doors.

chapel

Banned
Did anyone see the underlined letters in the official announcement from valve?

Code:
d r a t t m a n n h 0 n e e

Those are what are underlined.

One thing is it has been used for the BBS. But there is a site www.drattmannh0nee.com which just has the same image on two pages. Reference more info here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1177298

I can't post there, but it seems no one has noticed that on that website (which some people believe is fanmade but seems too well thought out) is the source code. There are divs organized in an interesting fashion. Also the titles.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
chapel said:
Did anyone see the underlined letters in the official announcement from valve?

Code:
d r a t t m a n n h 0 n e e

Those are what are underlined.

One thing is it has been used for the BBS. But there is a site www.drattmannh0nee.com which just has the same image on two pages. Reference more info here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1177298

I can't post there, but it seems no one has noticed that on that website (which some people believe is fanmade but seems too well thought out) is the source code. There are divs organized in an interesting fashion. Also the titles.

I'm going to go with fake. It was only registered yesterday and I cant see Valve leaving something like this late, and its tied to nicholaschan.net, which appears to be some random guys blog.

I'd say this little game is over.

Fireye said:
coop.jpg

How long before that shows up on a red t-shirt somewhere?

Can't wait to play this.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
ok, i'm having some issues with this achievement. i followed what they did in this video precisely and the radio didn't tune at the first spot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvQvw4vSfKE

i've moved the radio everywhere in that room and still nothing. it seems the achievement just isn't working at all for me.

i lost my original save game, so as far as it's aware i never finished the game... maybe i need to finish it first to unlock achievements? (all the achievements are locked for me when i look at them through the pause menu)

help?

epmode

Scrow said:
ok, i'm having some issues with this achievement. i followed what they did in this video precisely and the radio didn't tune at the first spot.

i've moved the radio everywhere in that room and still nothing. it seems the achievement just isn't working at all for me.

i lost my original save game, so as far as it's aware i never finished the game... maybe i need to finish it first to unlock achievements? (all the achievements are locked for me when i look at them through the pause menu)

help?
It's possible that server cheats are in effect. They block all achievements from registering.

Open the console and type "sv_cheats 0" without quotes.

Scipius

Scrow said:

help?

People have reported that you need to have completed Portal once (i.e. achieved "Heartbreaker") before the additional radios show up. Does it have a red light? The original radios didn't; that would be a clear sign this is your "first" playthrough.

Top Bottom