• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible Final Fantasy III Delay?

Sallokin

Not sure if this is old, if it is, please lock.

I was checking out the slimeknights.com site, and they had a little blurb in their announcements saying FFIII could be pushed back from Sept 19, to Oct 3. in order to give more attention marketing-wise to Rocketslime.

Here is the announcement

Final Fantasy III Pushed Back?

Posted on Jul 07, 2006 01:07pm EDT
Source: http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=180155

According to Gamestop/EBGames the release for Final Fantasy III has been pushed back from September 19 to October 03. While unconfirmed, the release date move will undoubtedly make both Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest fans a bit less tense, since Rocket Slime has been rumored to be released on September 19. Concerns of skewed advertising by those believing Squenix will concentrate on its FF title much more than its DQ title may be partially solved.

Dragon Quest fans: Rejoice!
Final Fantasy fans: Stop your complaining, and go watch your Advent Children.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
On the good side, a potential delay gives me time to fully enjoy Megaman ZX. On the bad side, I want FFIII now.

MrDaravon

I noticed this a while back on EB/GS. Not suprising considering they had Mario 3 on 3, VP 2, FF3, and DQ Rocket Slime all in the same month. Good move IMO.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
October is going to be so incredibly jammed...especially if the Wii sneaks in there.

Link1110

I want both FF3 and DQ:RS, but why not push back DQ:RS? More people want FF3 and will be upset at its delay.

MrDaravon

Link1110 said:
I want both FF3 and DQ:RS, but why not push back DQ:RS? More people want FF3 and will be upset at its delay.

Maybe FF3 needs a little more polish time. Also releasing DQ after FF3 could hurt DQ sales I suppose.

ethelred

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Does that mean FF3 is delayed in Japan as well or is it still on track?

I don't think this has anything to do with the Japanese release. This isn't even a delay, really -- Square Enix never announced that date (to my knowledge); it was always a retailer placeholder date, and considering they had the exact same date for Dragon Quest Heroes and Mario 3x3, I don't think there was ever any chance it would've turned out to be accurate. So this is pretty expected.

Link1110 said:
Slime Mori Mori's been out since, what, December in Japan? It's been a while, in any event. I'm sure Square America's pretty much done everything they can do with the game, while some extra polish time on FFIII couldn't hurt anyone.

Sallokin

I just hate that it got moved back to October of all months. It's going to be an expensive winter indeed. Lots of RPG's coming out.

Link1110

It's going to be an expensive winter indeed. Lots of RPG's coming out.

Final Fantasy 3
Final Fantasy 5 Advance
Final Fantasy 6 Advance
Final Fantasy 12
Tales of the Abyss
DQ: Rocket Slime
Valkyrie Profile 2
Ar Tonelico
Rogue Galaxy
Devil Summoner
Twilight Princess
Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon
Disgaea 2

Tales of Destiny
Tales of Phantasia
Tales of the World
Tales of the Tempest

keanerie

Archie said:
On the good side, a potential delay gives me time to fully enjoy Megaman ZX. On the bad side, I want FFIII now.

My thoughts exactly.

Link1110 said:
Final Fantasy 3
Final Fantasy 5 Advance
Final Fantasy 6 Advance
Final Fantasy 12
Tales of the Abyss
Valkyrie Profile 2
Ar Tonelico
Rogue Galaxy
Devil Summoner
Twilight Princess
Disgaea 2

Tales of Destiny
Tales of Phantasia
Tales of the World
Tales of the Tempest

Wow. It's like they're conspiring to bankrupt us all.

well... at least its on my birthday now and ill probably finish it right when i get XII

plus ill have time to play VP:S and Disgaea 2... :( but i still want it now.

ethelred

Link1110 said:
Final Fantasy 3
Final Fantasy 5 Advance
Final Fantasy 6 Advance
Final Fantasy 12
Tales of the Abyss
Valkyrie Profile 2
Ar Tonelico
Rogue Galaxy
Devil Summoner
Twilight Princess
Disgaea 2

Tales of Destiny
Tales of Phantasia
Tales of the World
Tales of the Tempest

Well, aside from Abyss, those Tales games are all JP only.

Add:

Children of Mana
Lunar Knights
Magical Starsign
Dragon Quest Swords
Crystal Chronicles 2
Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
Spectrobes
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Yggdra Union
Baten Kaitos Origins
Super Paper Mario
Summon Night 1
Summon Night 2
Pokemon Ranger
.hack//Fragment
Phantasy Star Universe

Etc.

Expensive end of year for RPGs indeed.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the DS Lite supply in Japan. I thought I read somewhere that SquareEnix was concerned about the supply of DSLs for the release of FF3 and apparently DQ:RS in Japan.

ethelred

Benadryl Hitman said:
I wonder if this has anything to do with the DS Lite supply in Japan. I thought I read somewhere that SquareEnix was concerned about the supply of DSLs for the release of FF3 and apparently DQ:RS in Japan.

DQ: RS came out in Japan nine months ago.

And I can't understand how supply of DS Lites in Japan would affect the launch of a game in North America, but whatever.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
RPGs alone (must-buys) day 1 for me:

9/26 Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
10/03 Final Fantasy III
10/09 Super Paper Mario
10/31 Final Fantasy XII
TBA The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
TBA Tales of the Abyss

But that's not even including all the other titles I'm interesting in getting in this genre and others. :(

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ronito said:
Wait so October has both FFIII and FFXII in it? That's a whole lot of RPG in a month.
Well at least one comes out in the beginning of the month and the other comes out at the end of the month.

ethelred said:
DQ: RS came out in Japan nine months ago.
My mistake.

And I can't understand how supply of DS Lites in Japan would affect the launch of a game in North America, but whatever.
Well if DSL production has to be shifted to Japan, it could affect NA shipments. Still I don't know why Square-Enix would care about NA DSL supplies if they turn out being low. I don't see boatloads of people in NA buying a DSL for it anyway.

Pellham

Banned
Link1110 said:
Final Fantasy 3
Final Fantasy 5 Advance
Final Fantasy 6 Advance
Final Fantasy 12
Tales of the Abyss
Valkyrie Profile 2
Ar Tonelico
Rogue Galaxy
Devil Summoner
Twilight Princess
Disgaea 2

Tales of Destiny
Tales of Phantasia
Tales of the World
Tales of the Tempest

Whew, good thing i'm only buying 5 of those

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Link1110 said:
Final Fantasy 3
Final Fantasy 5 Advance
Final Fantasy 6 Advance
Final Fantasy 12
Tales of the Abyss
Valkyrie Profile 2
Ar Tonelico
Rogue Galaxy
Devil Summoner
Twilight Princess
Disgaea 2

Tales of Destiny
Tales of Phantasia
Tales of the World
Tales of the Tempest

Okay, everybody pick an RPG, then we'll come back to GAF and tell each other about our chosen game -- is it worth playing, etc. We can make it through this, together.

I call FFIII.

Danthrax said:
Okay, everybody pick an RPG, then we'll come back to GAF and tell each other about our chosen game -- is it worth playing, etc. We can make it through this, together.

I call FFIII.

I call XII

Johnas

Man, I cannot keep track of what's coming out when anymore. Much love to BuddyC's sticky threads, I'll be keeping an eye on those.

MrDaravon

August has (at least that I'm tracking):

8/8 Super Robot Taisen Original Generation
8/15 Deep Labyrinth
8/15 Harvest Moon DS
8/22 Dirge of Cerebus: Final Fantasy VII
8/28 Starfox DS
8/29 Disgaea 2 Cursed Memories
8/29 Rule of Rose

None of these titles are huge or anything though, and it pales in comparison to Sept/Oct and probably November.

Emotions

SailorDaravon said:
August has (at least that I'm tracking):

8/8 Super Robot Taisen Original Generation
8/15 Deep Labyrinth
8/15 Harvest Moon DS
8/22 Dirge of Cerebus: Final Fantasy VII
8/28 Starfox DS
8/29 Disgaea 2 Cursed Memories
8/29 Rule of Rose

None of these titles are huge or anything though, and it pales in comparison to Sept/Oct and probably November.

Removing Dirge of Cerberus & Rule of Rose and we're about the same.

MrDaravon

Emotions said:
Removing Dirge of Cerberus & Rule of Rose and we're about the same.

Well Dirge is a rental for myself out of morbid curiosity, and Rule of Rose is a rental for my fiance. The only total must buy title for either one of us on there is Disgaea 2, everything else we're at least renting first. She might get Harvest Moon if it's good, and I'll probably pick up Starfox, just not right then. I'm kinda wary on Robot Taisen since it lacks the licensed stuff, but I hear it's solid, so maybe.

Stryder

demi said:
Day after my birthday, who wants to buy me my birthday present!
Holy crap, I have the same birthday as you.

Anyone else feeling generous on the day can feel free to buy me a copy too. :p

While a bit disapoint at the possible delay at least this could give me a chance to get the money together to buy the game. Man fall is sure going to be hard on my wallet.

Top Bottom