• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible Kojima Productions Reveal in Three Days?

panda21

stuburns said:
So basically you either though Kojima Productions are a subsidiary of Capcom or you thought Monster Hunter was made by Konami.

i think he was just breaking out the capcom make castlevania meme but in reverse, although its hard to tell whether people are doing it on purpose or not these days

ArjanN

Rapping Granny said:
Why aren't they waiting until E3 to reveal this?

typical japan.

Nothing typical Japan about it: everyone does pre-E3 stuff, just look at all the teasers we're getting the last couple of days.

It's because duringE3 everything get snowed under by the other 5000 announcements/games.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
I was thinking, everyone says that there isn't too much gameplay in MGS4, so what if I just youtube the whole cutscenes do I still get the whole experience?

StuBurns

Banned
dgenx said:
I was thinking, everyone says that there isn't too much gameplay in MGS4, so what if I just youtube the whole cutscenes do I still get the whole experience?
You'd be getting it in disgusting quality, but yeah, pretty much. The cutscenes and gameplay aren't particularly well interrogated. There's not really any narrative derived from gameplay.

iceatcs

More
kojima-metalgear.gif
?

ZeoVGM

Banned
I'm just now getting into this, as I've stayed clear since it seemed like it would just be stupid.

But two questions:

a) If the date says the 18th, and this thread started on the 12th, how is that "reveal in three days"? The 18th is Monday. So when exactly are we finding out what this is?

b) How long into the thread until someone noticed the Metal Gear source code and flipped out? :lol

dgenx said:

The cutscenes and gameplay are a little disjointed, but the gameplay that IS there is top notch, and there's a lot of details you'd be missing out on. Codec calls, exploration, [small spoiler ahead]
microwave hallway,
etc. Plus, while the gameplay is a bit on the short side, what's there is ultra refined and amazing to play.

Don't just watch the cutscenes. If you're a fan of the series, you owe it to yourself to enjoy the full experience.

Game Of Honour said:
Early this morning an article from ***** written by Matt Furtado stated that they received an email from an unknown publisher which we would like to know from whom. Although it's concerning the upcoming Kojima project, A new patch that will feature Raiden in an upcoming downloadable content update that will take control of Raiden through a total of 2 new chapters or more in the near future.

***** also stated that trophies are finally be making a debut and speaking of debut. It looks like the XBOX 360 will be experiencing Metal Gear Solid early as spring 2010. The 360 version will come packed with the downloadable content. ***** also stated that PS3 owners will have it exclusive for several months before the 360 title is released.

Here at Game Of Honor; as much as we love rumors, we would rather get the truth instead of false information. Were all gamers at heart so I for one speaks for everyone when I say "Enough Of The Rumors". It's not a bad effort from ***** to create such hits to achieve on there site. But ***** had nothing to back up there sources. We love what we do; get the truth.

So we contacted our friends at Kojima Productions on this matter and there reaction toward it.

Kojima Productions "unfortunately we are still not working on a 360 version of MGS4. How ever, Were revealing something"

Who saw this coming? Post your feedbacks and let us know how you feel about this rumor and speak your mind, Bring honor.

http://gameofhonors.blogspot.com/2009/05/koijam-productions-response-to-mgs4.html

No idea if this got posted, havent kept up with the thread.

Nif

Not that I think 360 port's the announcement, but that "Game of Honor" website looks totally reliable to me.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Nif said:
Not that I think 360 port's the announcement, but that "Game of Honor" website looks totally reliable to me.

Why not? I mean they have a poll up that asks "Who do you think is going to PWN E3".

How do they NOT look reliable?

Awntawn said:
Of course! What idiots we've all been. All this time we've been setting each other on fire and not once had we thought to just call them and ask!

/slaps forehead

Hahah. Funny thing is, you actually didn't just call them and ask.

Zhuk

Banned
I'm not sure what the announcement is, but I really do hope that it is coming for both platforms. Kojima's games deserve to be experienced by both 360 and PS3 gamers alike.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Ah, so some no name site talks to Kojipro and reveal Kojipro's horrible grammar.

"unfortunately we are still not working on a 360 version of MGS4. How ever, Were revealing something"

:lol

Fuck right off, dodgy ass site.

web01

It wont be DLC for MGS4 konami wouldnt restrict the audience by doing that.
If it is a new metal gear it will be disc based for sure.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If this is really the Raiden chapters of pre-MGS4, then Kojima has really lost his mind. The guy said he would move on to something else.

I'm sure that's it though, they already have the engine ready and all, they got good sales for MGS4, so making a new game wouldn't be too costly.

But my beef with this is that I don't give a damn about Raiden and especially not Sunny or anyone else from the MGS storyline anymore. I want something new, fuck. I don't care if it is similar to MGS, just don't write more into this mess of a story.

Ether_Snake said:
If this is really the Raiden chapters of pre-MGS4, then Kojima has really lost his mind. The guy said he would move on to something else.

I'm sure that's it though, they already have the engine ready and all, they got good sales for MGS4, so making a new game wouldn't be too costly.

But my beef with this is that I don't give a damn about Raiden and especially not Sunny or anyone else from the MGS storyline anymore. I want something new, fuck. I don't care if it is similar to MGS, just don't write more into this mess of a story.

The title that will be announced first is being made in a style similar to the way his team has worked in the past, while the second will be produced by a restructured Kojima Productions with the overseas market firmly in mind.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3172054

That second game is probably the one you should be looking forward to.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
dgenx said:
fucking fuck no

John_B

Ether_Snake said:
I understand how you feel. I never found Raiden very appealing, though I did enjoy MGS2 very much. He is just inferior to Snake in every way.

I don't want the series to end, because no other series has managed to do that special agent infiltration as well. Raiden could work with some serious character building and a fresh start. No more digging up old characters and force them to be relative.

dgenx said:

I'm not sure who that "everyone" is, but they are wrong.

nelsonroyale said:
or not...japanese devs pandering to western audiences don't do well outside of capcom games... I hope they don't try and blandify

I'm just saying that the second game will likely be different from what KojiPro has done in the past. It pretty much seems like they're going to model themselves after Western studios.

stuburns said:
There is about 5 hours of gameplay and 9 hours of cinema.
I would say 'everyone' is right.

I didn't know "everyone" was a speed gamer. The game can take anywhere from 5 to 30 hours to complete depending on skill.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
John_B said:
I understand how you feel. I never found Raiden very appealing, though I did enjoy MGS2 very much. He is just inferior to Snake in every way.

I don't want the series to end, because no other series has managed to do that special agent infiltration as well. Raiden could work with some serious character building and a fresh start. No more digging up old characters and force them to be relative.

Actually I had no serious problems with MGS2. I had a problem with MGS4. And I'm done with MGS. I don't mind a new Metal Gear game, but I want a new story from scratch 100% unrelated to MGS, no returning characters, etc.

But if they make something else entirely as is likely, that's cool.

What amazed me the most in the past few years was the original TGS2005 trailer of MGS4, not only for the graphics, but more specifically for the "mood". The feeling of being in a world of routine war was really well done. I would love a very immersive, realistic FPS set in such a world. A sort of BF2 with more emphasis on immersion, in a world where "war has changed", at a crossing between modern warefare and future AI/machine warfare.

That would be cool. But I don't have much hope in KP doing that well. They are good at presentation but less so as such a form of gameplay.

We'll see.

ArjanN

Ether_Snake said:

He's says that after every metal gear game.

StuBurns

Banned
Philanthropist said:
I didn't know "everyone" was a speed gamer. The game can take anywhere from 5 to 30 hours to complete depending on skill.
You could say that about any game. Uncharted could take 90 hours if you play it slow enough. It's 3 hours if you push it on MGS4, I think 5 or 6 would be a fairly typical speed, that's what it took me first play thru.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
stuburns said:
You could say that about any game. Uncharted could take 90 hours if you play it slow enough. It's 3 hours if you push it on MGS4, I think 5 or 6 would be a fairly typical speed, that's what it took me first play thru.
Skip every cutscene or something? What's the point of playing the game then if you miss out on the cheesy conspiracy dialogue!?

StuBurns

Banned
speedpop said:
Skip every cutscene or something? What's the point of playing the game then if you miss out on the cheesy conspiracy dialogue!?
No, it took all day, but 9 hours of it is cutscenes, so I just removed that from the playtime.
Though, I've played it thru a few times since and never watched all the cutscenes, I should do that again, I'm not sleeping well at the moment.

stuburns said:
The definition of fair is very relative. It's not like "everyone" will play it in one single session or without dying or always knowing what to do next. Then there's the gameplay freedom in the game where you don't need to play in a totally linear way.

StuBurns

Banned
Philanthropist said:
The definition of fair is very relative. It's not like "everyone" will play it in one single session or without dying or always knowing what to do next. Then there's the gameplay freedom in the game where you don't need to play in a totally linear way.
It doesn't matter if you played it start to finish in one sitting. If I'd have played it in five sittings it wouldn't have made it last longer.

As for the dying, I did only play on the second normal mode, so for someone playing hard it would have lasted longer no doubt. But the game is insanely easy. I'm very very bad at video games and I don't think I died three times.

The game is very linear too, I can't believe anyone was ever stuck for where to go next.

There is freedom in the way you approach the gameplay, that is true. Getting thru unseen takes a while longer for example. And I really enjoy playing thru the first act a lot. There's a lot of 'gameplay' to be had.

But overall, I don't think saying there is more video than gameplay for the average gamer is untrue. It think it's probably pretty accurate. I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised.

vpance

Not doing a extra chapters DLC or Subsistence release would just be lost money. Milk the engine and story some more, then move on to the next thing.. which I'm sure they're doing already.

SRG01

ArjanN said:

Metal Gear is a cash cow for KP/Konami. It's not like they're going to say "Hey Kojima, why don't you stop working on our money maker and do something else for a while?"

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
SRG01 said:
Metal Gear is a cash cow for KP/Konami. It's not like they're going to say "Hey Kojima, why don't you stop working on our money maker and do something else for a while?"

Maybe to create another cash cow? I don't know maybe that's too WILD.

stuburns said:
It doesn't matter if you played it start to finish in one sitting. If I'd have played it in five sittings it wouldn't have made it last longer.

As for the dying, I did only play on the second normal mode, so for someone playing hard it would have lasted longer no doubt. But the game is insanely easy. I'm very very bad at video games and I don't think I died three times.

The game is very linear too, I can't believe anyone was ever stuck for where to go next.

There is freedom in the way you approach the gameplay, that is true. Getting thru unseen takes a while longer for example. And I really enjoy playing thru the first act a lot. There's a lot of 'gameplay' to be had.

But overall, I don't think saying there is more video than gameplay for the average gamer is untrue. It think it's probably pretty accurate. I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised.

It ,ost certainly isn't linear. You may be able to go through it in a linear fashion but you miss out on so much.Every single area has multiple routes and some areas can be bypassed altogether.

StuBurns

Banned
freethought said:
It ,ost certainly isn't linear. You may be able to go through it in a linear fashion but you miss out on so much.Every single area has multiple routes and some areas can be bypassed altogether.
Linear in the sense that it's impossible to get lost, there is a map and arrow telling you where to go.

drkOne

Shurs said:
My first play through lasted 22 hours.

Pretty much. There's plenty of gameplay in the game, and I had the feeling that every Act brought up something new and epic.

People just like to play the cheap card of "not really game, more like interactive movie". I guess if it wasn't great it wouldn't have been GAF's GOTY to begin with.

StuBurns

Banned
drkOne said:
People just like to play the cheap card of "not really game, more like interactive movie". I guess if it wasn't great it wouldn't have been GAF's GOTY to begin with.
I'm not shitting on MGS4. I really enjoyed it a lot. And I really did finish it in one day with an actually playtime of around five hours. And people really can finish it in three hours.

If you like that fact or not.

Darkpen

Banned
Ether_Snake said:

No, fuck you, I want Raiden screentime. I started with MGS2, I expected the next MGS to let me fucking save Olga's child, and god dammit, MGS4 was a disappointment in that respect.

Ether_Snake said:
What amazed me the most in the past few years was the original TGS2005 trailer of MGS4, not only for the graphics, but more specifically for the "mood". The feeling of being in a world of routine war was really well done. I would love a very immersive, realistic FPS set in such a world. A sort of BF2 with more emphasis on immersion, in a world where "war has changed", at a crossing between modern warefare and future AI/machine warfare.
Well, no, that's not right. The reason why "war has changed" doesn't begin and end with mechanized warfare. It was the fact that everything was automated, that there was an entire world economy molded around it, and that there was no greater powerstruggle beyond the individual impulses of militia soldiers, and even that was bred by the actions of the Patriots.

Outside of a few details, MGS4 failed to deliver or emphasize on this fact through its gameplay. You could say that Drebin's shop contributed to it, but it was never very obvious, and didn't give enough awareness of the fact.

ArjanN said:
Kikizo: You've said several times that MGS4 is really, truly the last MGS game, but other comments make Metal Gear Solid 5 seem inevitable - do you feel pressured by the success of the series to keep it going?

Kojima: Sure, there is definitely pressure. We don't belong wholly to Konami, so that pressure might be lighter, but since Kojima Productions is a part of Konami and Konami does the business side of things, yeah, I feel pressure there, that there's a need for it to be a successful, ongoing series.
http://games.kikizo.com/features/hideo-kojima-interview-2009-p3.asp

Yeah, he ain't stoppin' anytime soon.

Top Bottom