• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible leaked image of the new Oculus Quest

PS5 will support the original PSVR so RE8 could still be a game for it.

I hope so. My hope is that psvr is like 1080p tv and psvr2 a 4K tv: games playable on both but obviously better on the latter.

of course, psvr2 will bring many further enhancements than just display resolution: better controls, tracking and possibly eye-tracking and even varifocal display... so the 4K comparison is tame, VR evolution will be much more wild than just more pixels in the same flat surface

Shh, I like Rudius's idea better!

I don't. PS5 won't be cheap, nor psvr2. Besides, psvr has been hindered so far by the ageing PS4, it's rare the games that actually run at native 1080p, most are a blurry low-res mess because of PS4. PS5 can well show what the 4 yo headset can do, specially in smooth 120fps...

Resenge

I don't. PS5 won't be cheap, nor psvr2. Besides, psvr has been hindered so far by the ageing PS4, it's rare the games that actually run at native 1080p, most are a blurry low-res mess because of PS4. PS5 can well show what the 4 yo headset can do, specially in smooth 120fps...
PSVR is hindered with the PS move controllers more than anything, Oculus quest is way more underpowered but because it has better tracking and motion controls it is selling better than PSVR plus its stand alone. PS5 needs a new headset with inside out tracking and better controllers if it is to keep up with other VR platforms. I understand that it will come at a cost but maybe PSVR2 games will be backwards compatible with PSVR?

I don't expect 120fps VR games anytime soon on console, even with the PS5.

Last edited:
PSVR is hindered with the PS move controllers more than anything, Oculus quest is way more underpowered but because it has better tracking and motion controls it is selling better than PSVR. PS5 needs a new headset with inside out tracking and better controllers. I understand that it will come at a cost and maybe PSVR2 games will be backwards compatible with PSVR?

it's selling better for casual crowds who don't have a pc or console. Its bread and butter are fitness minigames and experimental hand tracking experiences. You hardly have full games because they run badly and also their casual audience doesn't care.

Mind, I think Sony was after the Wii/Kinect casual audience in the beginning of psvr, but soon it also got its fair share of big games.

If controls or tracking were that important, Valve Index would be king. A fair pricetag and requiring nothing else to work speak louder than anything.

Btw, Media Molecule are geniuses and came up with Move locomotion scheme fully analog-stick style. Works better than anything before

Last edited:

Resenge

it's selling better for casual crowds who don't have a pc or console. Its bread and butter are fitness minigames and experimental hand tracking experiences. You hardly have full games because they run badly and also their casual audience doesn't care.

Mind, I think Sony was after the Wii/Kinect casual audience in the beginning of psvr, but soon it also got its fair share of big games.

If controls or tracking were that important, Valve Index would be kind. A fair pricetag and requiring nothing else to work speak louder than anything.
Go ask anyone who has experienced more than PSVR and even most people with PSVR, The PS move controllers are the worst thing with PSVR apart from the tracking. I do not see why you are being defensive, I love PSVR and own two of them as well as other headsets but I can see the flaws. Trust me when I say that the tracking and controllers are in desperate need of an upgrade.

Last edited:

Rudius

PSVR is hindered with the PS move controllers more than anything, Oculus quest is way more underpowered but because it has better tracking and motion controls it is selling better than PSVR plus its stand alone. PS5 needs a new headset with inside out tracking and better controllers if it is to keep up with other VR platforms. I understand that it will come at a cost but maybe PSVR2 games will be backwards compatible with PSVR?
It's almost garantied that VR retrocompatibility will function the same ways as in flat: PSVR2 will play all the games of PSVR1, but not the inverse, just like PS5 will play PS4 games. The same will happen in an eventual Quest 2 (not the one in this leak): it will be backwards compatible with all Quest 1 software, but the games designed for Quest 2 will not be playable in the old one.

You may think this is expensive and all, but to move on from obsolete hardware is the best way to push games forward from a technical perspective. Just look at the debacle involving Halo Infinity, with it's technology limited by archaic 2013 hardware.

Go ask anyone who has experienced more than PSVR and even most people with PSVR, The PS move controllers are the worst thing with PSVR apart from the tracking. I do not see why you are being defensive, I love PSVR and own two of them as well as other headsets but I can see the flaws. Trust me when I say that the tracking and controllers are in desperate need of an upgrade.

I know they are - still fully playable once you learn their ways.

I wouldn't mind though PS5 bringing new motion controllers for both psvr1 and 2. Afaik, they had a patent for controllers with inside-out tracking themselves.

Rudius

If you buy a PS5 close to launch you will enjoy it for many years. Those who got PS4 in 2013 still got to play The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima 7 years later. If they release PSVR2 in 2021 you can expect full support until 2027.

I think it is well worth the price to get a far superior experience for such a long time.

Rudius

Thank god is not the 2.0 version, my ass would burn from regrets...
This release of "Quest Lite" will actually be beneficial for current Quest owners: more hardware sales will mean a larger market and more investment in better and more numerous games.

Shrap

Seems like they are releasing this cheaper "lite" model instead of a new one as the Quest 2 is still a ways off. I'm guessing it's because they are looking at tech like eyetracking and they are probably waiting for the newer snapdragons to become more affordable so they can keep the price down.

This will keep the momentum going for the Quest, even though it's still selling out often.

Last edited:
If you buy a PS5 close to launch you will enjoy it for many years. Those who got PS4 in 2013 still got to play The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima 7 years later. If they release PSVR2 in 2021 you can expect full support until 2027.

I think it is well worth the price to get a far superior experience for such a long time.

buying a PS5 doesn't turn my previous tv obsolete, nor should it do it to psvr1, specially as it's already supported by the platform

Seems like they are releasing this cheaper "lite" model instead of a new one as the Quest 2 is still a ways off. I'm guessing it's because they are looking at tech like eyetracking and they are probably waiting for the newer snapdragons to become more affordable so they can keep the price down.

This will keep the momentum going for the Quest, even though it's still selling out often.

eye-tracking with foveated rendering and AI-assisted image reconstruction and snapdragon 5G streaming will really revolutionize standalone VR and offer games with nextgen graphics

rofif

Banned
I wonder if quest is the last oled headset... I've had it all from Oculus and lcd on s is so washed out especially in dark areas that I had to get quest. It looks very good

CamHostage

Agreed, I actually like PS Move in its day as an elegant and fun-to-play solution for motion gaming, but its time has come and gone, PSVR control needs an upgrade.

Rudius

I wonder if quest is the last oled headset... I've had it all from Oculus and lcd on s is so washed out especially in dark areas that I had to get quest. It looks very good
It depends on the LCD type, as they are not all the same. The HP Reverb G2 reportedly has good colors and deep blacks with it's LCD. It won't be as good as Oled, but quality varies.

If the intention is to cut some costs and simplify production, I would expect a single LCD screen for this model, replacing the 2 Oleds. One possible improvement could be having 3 sub pixels per pixel (RGB), current Quest has 2 (pentile).

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
It depends on the LCD type, as they are not all the same. The HP Reverb G2 reportedly has good colors and deep blacks with it's LCD. It won't be as good as Oled, but quality varies.

If the intention is to cut some costs and simplify production, I would expect a single LCD screen for this model, replacing the 2 Oleds. One possible improvement could be having 3 sub pixels per pixel (RGB), current Quest has 2 (pentile).
I find that quest looks about the same resolution wise to S but the colors and black levels are better obviously. Also - the addition of ipd slider allows me to have a bit clearer picture too.
Shame it connects to pc via streaming video as it shows in some scenarios as banding. I've got quest about month ago and only used it few times.. not like it's scorching hot middle of the summer :p

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I wish one of the best choices for VR didn’t have anything to do with one of the companies I detest.
don't worry so much man, non of these big tech corps are your best friend ;) get it second hand if you must

brutal doom quake 2 & Hl2 in vr

Last edited:

Rudius

Upload VR is confirming, according to sources, that this new Quest will have IPD adjustment. It is done by moving the lenses to 3 different positions, small, medium and large (1, 2, 3).

Top Bottom