• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible leaked image of the new Oculus Quest

Rudius

UPDATE: see post #40 for new images and pictures.

Supposedly this is the version that they will make 2 million of this year.

The person that posted the tweet said it's not a Quest Pro and Sebastian from MRTV thinks this is probably a Quest Lite rather than a 1.5 or 2.0.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
If this doesnt have a redesigned head-strap I am out. That thing is stupid uncomfortable.

Rudius

If this doesnt have a redesigned head-strap I am out. That thing is stupid uncomfortable.
The head-strap seems to be rigid plastic instead of flexible, so it should provide better support. Also a previous leak said that the new model is 15 to 20% lighter and smaller.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The head-strap seems to be rigid plastic instead of flexible, so it should provide better support. Also a previous leak said that the new model is 15 to 20% lighter and smaller.

Lighter would go a long way but I am just not a fan of the skull cap design. ( I am sure what thats not what its called) I went from PSVR which is insanely comfortable to a Quest and got. headaches within 20 minutes every time I tried it and returned it. Is there a reason they don't go with the more halo design? The inside out tracking is a game changer but comfort was a deal breaker.

Rudius

Lighter would go a long way but I am just not a fan of the skull cap design. ( I am sure what thats not what its called) I went from PSVR which is insanely comfortable to a Quest and got. headaches within 20 minutes every time I tried it and returned it. Is there a reason they don't go with the more halo design? The inside out tracking is a game changer but comfort was a deal breaker.
Quest was the first real standalone VR device with full 6 DoF, so mistakes were hard to avoid completely. But many users complained about the lack of comfort, so that's probably their highest priority in a revision.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Quest was the first real standalone VR device with full 6 DoF, so mistakes were hard to avoid completely. But many users complained about the lack of comfort, so that's probably their highest priority in a revision.

I wasn't aware comfort was a common complaint. Thought I was in the minority. Good to know.

I have to assume a big jump in processing power as well.

JLB

Banned
I wasn't aware comfort was a common complaint. Thought I was in the minority. Good to know.

I have to assume a big jump in processing power as well.

I think the fact that is 20%~ lighter should really help to the overall experience, but yeah, its not the most comfortable headset.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I think the fact that is 20%~ lighter should really help to the overall experience, but yeah, its not the most comfortable headset.

Been awhile since I had one on but I felt like that way it was supported was the issue and not really the weight.
I know thats contradictory because obviously if its lighter it would mean it has to support less weight but I felt like all the weight being in the front was the issue.

Really didnt mean to derail this a bit. I actually really like the quest for what it is. Inside out tracking made me a VR believer. Its VR's biggest appeal to me. No wires is how it should be done. If this thing is indeed more comfortable ill be getting one ASAP.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: JLB

Quasicat

If it’s a Quest Lite like they are describing, hopefully the price will be a little lower as well. I would be willing to jump in at $300, but too much higher and I can wait. I played some of the Quest at work when it first came out, but I had more fun just watching Plex.

Romulus

I think this is gonna be the first VR headset I own.

Good luck finding one. Even with 2 million in production, I don't think it will be easy to find considering many people still want the original and its sold out most of the time. I hope you do.

McCheese

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the Quest's cameras are infrared and therefore aren't affected by color.

White reflects more infrared, so white plastic with infrared markers will have more 'infrared noise' than black plastic with infrared markers, so it's pretty much the worst possible choice for these controllers. It would still work indoors just fine, but if you tried using it outside you might start to run into tracking issues, but they have always said the quest isn't suitable for outdoors due to possible burning of a hole in the screen due to the fisheye lenses.

So I guess we can't rule it out, maybe it'll be one of those "in the pictures, it looks white but it's actually grey in-the-flesh" situations.

If it IS real, my guess is they are going to have two tiers, a cheaper base model which replaces the go which is similar (albeit lighter) version of the current CPU/GPU and controllers, and a more premium 399 option which has the newer Qualcomm.

TheContact

Good luck finding one. Even with 2 million in production, I don't think it will be easy to find considering many people still want the original and its sold out most of the time. I hope you do.

I can't even get a wireless xbox one controller right now lol. I don't imagine getting this right away but I'm also not in a rush for it.

JLB

Banned
Been awhile since I had one on but I felt like that way it was supported was the issue and not really the weight.
I know thats contradictory because obviously if its lighter it would mean it has to support less weight but I felt like all the weight being in the front was the issue.

Really didnt mean to derail this a bit. I actually really like the quest for what it is. Inside out tracking made me a VR believer. Its VR's biggest appeal to me. No wires is how it should be done. If this thing is indeed more comfortable ill be getting one ASAP.

I think its a totally valid complain. Im on the same boat, Quest is THE best VR experience I tried, even without having the visuals of its big brother or HTC. My main issue was the weight of front though. Feels like its pushing my head forward. Not a deal breaker, but it is not ideal.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I think its a totally valid complain. Im on the same boat, Quest is THE best VR experience I tried, even without having the visuals of its big brother or HTC. My main issue was the weight of front though. Feels like its pushing my head forward. Not a deal breaker, but it is not ideal.

I played Robo Recall and I wanted to try out Doom VFR on PC via Link as the controls on PSVR drove me up a wall. I really liked having no wires. It was totally a this is the future moment. But the damn thing gave me migraines in minutes from hugging my face like what I have to imagine a face hugger from Alien would do.

Tranquil

Still have my original Oculus I bought back in 2016 just sitting in a box, not being used. Till they make VR as comfortable and light as putting on a pair of sunglasses I'm out.

Last edited:
Didn't they say that the original Quest was long in development and that's why it had the OLED screen? My guess is this is a Quest S refresh with the same old LCD screen and other cheaper bits and pieces to drive down their manufacturing costs.

Skyr

Still have my original Oculus I bought back in 2016 just sitting in a box, not being used. Till they make VR as comfortable and light as putting on a pair of sunglasses I'm out.
I owned the original vive and the current quest both for about a month until I got rid of them. I am at the same point.

Convenience/comfort is my number one problem with current VR solutions.
After that comes resolution which still is way too low, especially for media consumption.

When both points get a significant improvement I will get back into it.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
It could be that Sony have that protected. Lenovo released a halo style WMR headset and subsequently had to pay Sony for a licensing agreement as a result.

Doesnt the wired version of the quest have the halo design? Or did I make that up?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
You’re right, it sort of does to be fair. But it does have an overhead strap as well, so maybe that’s enough of a differentiator?

I'd have to wear it to have an educated opinion but it seems that design is able to add more cushion/comfort to he skull and place the burden of the weight evenly.

But that's me basing my opinion off the psvr.

CamHostage

I think this is gonna be the first VR headset I own.

Me too, I played somebody else's Quest and fell in love; have also tried PC and PS4 VR and it's all good technically but the wires just sink the whole thing like an anchor. (Also, the room awareness system of Quest is miraculous, as having it step out of VR when you step into danger in your real-world space makes so much sense.) I didn't buy a Quest 1 because it just didn't catch my impulse buying at the time, but Quest 2 or Quest Lite would push me over.

...Actually, I forgot that I do have a Samsung Gear VR, which says a lot about that, although my time with Gear really was the second-best VR experience I had ever had, because it wasn't the best but I could bring it to my relative's houses and easily put them into VR for the first time.

Arkam

I love the Oculus Quest.... but would be leary to buy another stand alone VR unit after seeing the limited game support. Having a completely wire free VR set up is fantastic.... but absolutely muted by lack of games.

Synless

I would love a more powerful version. It’s been what? Two years? I use mine mostly for beat saber but it needs more graphical kick.

Rudius

That may not happen in your lifetime. A more moderate expectation would be for it to be confortable and easy to use. PSVR fills the first critiria, Quest the second; combine both and you have something very nice.

Rudius

I owned the original vive and the current quest both for about a month until I got rid of them. I am at the same point.

Convenience/comfort is my number one problem with current VR solutions.
After that comes resolution which still is way too low, especially for media consumption.

When both points get a significant improvement I will get back into it.
How about this? 4K per eye, comfortable, built in audio, inside out tracking, just one cable to your PC:

Tranquil

That may not happen in your lifetime. A more moderate expectation would be for it to be confortable and easy to use. PSVR fills the first critiria, Quest the second; combine both and you have something very nice.

Not for me, I bought PSVR a couple years ago, sold it last year to a co-worker. I couldn't game for longer than 30 minutes without my face hurting, plus all the cords dangling from my head. I felt very encumbered.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
How about this? 4K per eye, comfortable, built in audio, inside out tracking, just one cable to your PC:

Very impressive for the price but the cable still kills it for me with anything thats 360 degrees of movement.

I love the Oculus Quest.... but would be leary to buy another stand alone VR unit after seeing the limited game support. Having a completely wire free VR set up is fantastic.... but absolutely muted by lack of games.
Not too bad we still got stuff like tetris vr and we can use link

Ovek

7Member7
Wonder if they will let you add a SD card in a new revision. Storage on the previous model seemed to me to be rather limiting.

Rudius

Very impressive for the price but the cable still kills it for me with anything thats 360 degrees of movement.
It's a 6 meters cable, plenty to move around. But if you really can't stand that in the near future there will be (convenient) wireless options.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
It's a 6 meters cable, plenty to move around. But if you really can't stand that in the near future there will be (convenient) wireless options.

It's one of those things I thought wouldn't bother me and it didn't until I got a wireless option. I just can't go back now.

Rudius

UPDATE: New pics!

It seams it is real after all:

EdsflTsU0AAsxJ5

Eds3Z2YU0AEbO_X

EdtazHlXkAAntyu

Rudius

The lack of IPD adjustment may indicate that they are using only one screen instead of two, which added to the materials used suggests a lower price for this new device.

the black and white looks suggests it may be compatible with PS5 :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

the strap design suggests it'll be again very uncomfortable

unless it's having no processor of its own and doing it all wirelessly by working either with your phone or... again, PS5

Last edited:

JoduanER2

the black and white looks suggests it may be compatible with PS5 :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

unless it's having no processor of its own and doing it all wirelessly by working either with your phone or... again, PS5

This would be awesome. PS5 with compatibility with every VR device. That way you should what VR device to buy and not Sony.

Rudius

This can't be seen in pictures, but it is supposed to be some 20% lighter, which will help on comfort, also the material that touch your face is different in this one.

What this tells me is that this device will be considerably cheaper, 299 or possibly less. They have realized that the console model works for them: sell the machine with no profit, or even at a loss, but recover the investment trough software sales.

If the price for this device is right and the numbers are sufficient it could be a huge push for the VR market.

looks like Facebook is following the smartphone industry, then. cool, I'm sure the 2022 edition will rock.

then again, by the B&W looks of it, I'd say it's ready to replace ageing psvr as a cheap VR solution for PS5 until some revolutionary psvr2 comes along... I know some psvr devs are very fond of Quest - standalone or powered by either pc or PS5, can you imagine it?

the issue with cable isn't length, it's tripping over or just getting tangled up as you turn around. and it can break or get chewed by pets (very common issue)

wireless is real freedom

Shai-Tan

Banned
looks like Facebook is following the smartphone industry, then. cool, I'm sure the 2022 edition will rock.

then again, by the B&W looks of it, I'd say it's ready to replace ageing psvr as a cheap VR solution for PS5 until some revolutionary psvr2 comes along... I know some psvr devs are very fond of Quest - standalone or powered by either pc or PS5, can you imagine it?

They found out that being standalone made it like an order of magnitude more popular than the Rift and cutting down the price will increase that; although, they don't need to pass that on to customers yet with it being perpetually sold out. Many already recommend the Quest instead of Rift even for PCVR so it's obviously their future. What that means for "next gen" features is I guess how quickly they can economize it.

the issue with cable isn't length, it's tripping over or just getting tangled up as you turn around. and it can break or get chewed by pets (very common issue)

wireless is real freedom

Yeah, I agree. Over time I've gotten used to it, building automaticity in dealing with it to never trip while not thinking explicitly about the cable, however it's always been clear how limiting it is on room scale activity. Turn Signal functionality allows the mental effort to be outsourced and ceiling pulleys can make it feel more natural but freedom of movement is always hindered regardless.

Last edited:

Rudius

wireless is real freedom
Sony won't allow Quest paring with PS5 because PSVR2 is in development and will release in 2021:

Also, it would not be beneficial for Oculus to make Quest playable on PS5, since they have their own store and want to profit selling games there.

In my opinion both devices and their sucessors will coexist and compete in a similar way to PS4 and Switch in flatland. At most we could hope for some games being traded between them, but even that I find unlikely.

Top Bottom