• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible Sonic reboot in 2014, would be open world

Anth0ny

They really weren't but that' another topic.

Amuse me. It's not a Sonic thread without wacky debates on what the perfect Sonic game is.

Generations made everyone happy. Colors/Unleashed fans had their gameplay, and Classic fans damn near had theirs. It's not Genesis perfect, but if you're going to be THAT picky... I hate to break it to you, but it's not happening unless we get a Sonic version of Megaman 9.

qq more

I meant if this reboot happened.

Oh, okay.

Yeah, I don't like the sound of this at all. I'd love to see more of Modern Sonic's gameplay. They were fun in Unleashed (Day)/Colors/Generations and there's still a lot of room for improvement! Don't throw it away, Sega. :(

I've looked over the opening post multiple times trying to gather my thoughts on this potential development, after much consideration i've decided that a simple "NO!" will suffice.
Open world, man that gives me the shivers.

wrowa

Didn't Sonic Generations sold well?

I mean, if yes, didn't they kind of got a fucking message? Aren't companies working with numbers? If it sold well its not for nothing, WHY A REBOOT?

I think it sold worse than Sonic Colors before and in general Sonic Generations' numbers weren't particularly impressive for what Sega thinks they can theoretically achieve with Sonic games.

They probably look at other mascott games and think: If Mario can sell 20 million copies, why can't Sonic sell at least 5? If Spyro makes Activision shitloads of money, why can't Sonic do the same for us?

I can completely understand where they are coming from and why they would do this. The kids' market is huge and they want their share.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
God Sega, just make a sequel to Sonic Colors with a proper budget and you're good to go.

A lot of folks don't realize that Sonic Generations, as good as it was, was still a mess. They didn't really have a direction for the game, and even its primary gimmick (2D classic Sonic) didn't exist until late in development.

Sonic Colors is the "one true modern Sonic" game that gets everything right: balance of 2D to 3D sections in levels, fresh original inventive zone concepts, astounding music, a simple fun story with genuinely cunning humor, no shitty friends. It's the best Sonic game since the 16-bit era hands down. It is only crippled by the Wii's hardware in that it doesn't run at 60fps. If it did, it would be fully amazing.

But the fact that they considered Colors the "Sonic for the kiddies" originally and Sonic 4 "Sonic for the adult bros" followed up by Generations not even really having a concept behind it, indicates they still have no f**king clue what to do with Sonic.

(Note: I'm not saying Generations is a Bad Game (tm). It's good. But it suffers from its basic concept forcing it to rely on too many 3D only zones, that stretch 3D Sonic gameplay thin. They still haven't figured out a good way to handle Sonic turning at high speed in 3D.)

hammster

Archbishop of Canterburny
If they wanna go the Skylanders route with any of their series, they should pick Billy Hatcher. Partly because I'll take anything Billy Hatcher at this point but also because you could have like a physical nest to place collectible eggs on and in game they'd hatch as those creatures. I dunno.

But they were starting to get Sonic right. Aww man.

ElRenoRaven

Sigh

Can't say this surprises me. Generations sadly was a once in a life time situation. Right back to butchering the franchise they go. I really miss the Sega of old some days. :(

Sonic Adventure was the first reboot, and began the franchise's descent into madness.

Sonic 2006 was the second reboot, and began the franchise's descent into the foulest depravity.

Should the third reboot follow this exponentially descending progression, it will bore open a hole in reality to a universe of malicious agony. The evil of that horrible place will pour into our universe like a torrent of diabolical dark energies, condemning all life to a fate worse than death.

Which might be a bit concerning. They should probably just make Sonic Colors/Generations II instead, or give the franchise to Nintendo.

All of this negative reaction, it isn't surprising. One, because people like to bash Sonic/Sega no matter what. And two, they have definitely deserved that reputation.

Anyway, I love the idea and this is getting me excited, but I'm not sure they can pull it off.

Sonic Generations' modern stages featured a more open structure in a modern game than ever before with stages like Seaside hill and Sky Sanctuary, and they are fantastic. I can see this working very well if handled by a more stable company, but I have no idea how something this ambitious could turn out with Sega.

I DO NOT like the skylanders aspect, though. That will surely do this series in.

I've looked over the opening post multiple times trying to gather my thoughts on this potential development, after much consideration i've decided that a simple "NO!" will suffice.
Open world, man that gives me the shivers.

I don't know why this post was so funny, maybe it's just the way it's set up, but that was my view as well.

I try to be reasonable, to construct my feelings in a rational way about the possibility of this game...

...but all I can think is "NO!"

No

No

NO!

rubuhaato.jpg

Foffy

Banned
This will be anything other than good, I promise you this.

At this point, I want Nintendo to buy the Sonic IP.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
BUT THEY FINALLY GOT IT RIGHT WITH COLORS AND GENERATIONS!

I can't believe they would consider going back to a boring overworld with medals and shit and missions and infinite loading times and useless NPCs. :(

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah, Sega! Let's ignore that Sonic Generations was the first good Sonic game in more than a decade! Let's spend more money and make something fucking stupid that we can already guarantee will be garbage! And let's use Xtreme Marketing and bring back Sonic's radical fucking friends!!!!!!! EXCLAMATION!

*Kills Self*

Seik

Banned
I must admit I initially missed the joke.

No jokes there man. :)

My point was, make a game that people wants, if Colors sold well, why aren't they using it as a blueprint for the other? A Sonic reboot sounds useless, just like DMC.

Copying Skylanders? Uhhhh. no thanks Sega. By 2014 that fad will have died out, people won't succumb to it twice. Especially with Sonic.

It doesn't need a reboot, just more refinement.

What gets me is how they're doing it to "attract a new audience."

I'll tell you what, Sega, actually develop a goddamn game model, and you may actually get an audience. When you switch up the core of your games every time you make a new one, you're throwing out the "audience" you generated with the previous title.

If they'd just stick to the style they developed in Colors and, to a lesser extent (because the material was pulled from previous games) Generations, took feedback into consideration and made improvements, maybe they'd have something good on their hands.

But no, instead: "People actually like these Sonic games! So...let's do something completely different."

I just don't get it. I really, really enjoyed Generations and Colors, too.

BUT THEY FINALLY GOT IT RIGHT WITH COLORS AND GENERATIONS!

They don't get it "right" until they make a game that can proudly stand alongside Sonic 1/2/CD/3K.

Nintendo gets Mario "right", so it is possible to release new entries in old franchises that can stand alongside their predecessors. Sega is just too inept to be able to do so, alas.

At least we've got past the garbage of Sonic Adventures/Heroes/2006/Shadow/Unleashed and into passable with Colors and Generations, but they're not there yet, not by a bloody long shot.

Sadist

So essentially they want to copy Activision with Skylanders.

NEW! Sonic the Hedgehog and his NEW! fugly friends

wrowa

Sonic Adventure was the first reboot, and began the franchise's descent into madness.

Sonic 2006 was the second reboot, and began the franchise's descent into depravity.

Should the third reboot follow this exponentially descending progression, it will bore open a hole in reality to a universe of malicious agony. The evil of that horrible place will pour into our universe like a torrent of diabolical dark energies, condemning all life to a fate worse than death.

Which might be a bit concerning. They should probably just make Sonic Colors/Generations II, or give the franchise to Nintendo instead.

They (also) tried to appeal to older fans with their reboots up to now. From what I understand this time around they just shit on the old fanbase in order to concentrate on the supposedly more profitable kids market.

I don't know, looking at Skylander's I don't think that a similar Sonic game would have any problems selling many units and a gazillion of useless plastic toys -- and thus making Sega very happy in the process.

qq more

Sonic 2006 was the second reboot, and began the franchise's descent into the foulest depravity.

Which might be a bit concerning. They should probably just make Sonic Colors/Generations II instead, or give the franchise to Nintendo.

The third reboot is Unleashed. This would be the fourth reboot.

Sonic Adventure 3!!!

Only if there's no alternative gameplays and the Chao Garden has online stuff.

Rebooting the total nonsense canon is a good thing, but goddammit they finally made 3D Sonic good, and now they want to ditch it and go back to the open world, which has never ever been good.

And the addition of Skylanders is just about the shittiest thing they could do. Skylanders is kinda cool, but we only need one game like that. I sincerely doubt the market can support more.

After enjoying Colors and Generations, I have high hopes that Sonic Team won't cock this up. I could be wrong, and there isn't really much to say this early in development, but I think this doesn't sound like a terrible idea, and I've always kinda wanted a more "open" Sonic game ala Mario 64, so I'd be willing to give a project like this a shot.

All they have to do is base a game on classic Sonic's levels from Sonic Generations, less cities but that type of game-play.

WHY IS IT SO HARD SONIC TEAM?!

They're going to do another Sonic Adventure-type game and act like it's a reboot, I just know it.

Boerseun

Banned
Just keep Sonic exclusive to Nintendo platforms and continue the good work started by Sonic Colours, which is a great 3D Sonic on Wii and a great 2D Sonic on DS. Everything you need is there. Just build on it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Just as I started to get into the series in a big way.

I should stop liking things as a safety precaution.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
God Sega, just make a sequel to Sonic Colors with a proper budget and you're good to go.

A lot of folks don't realize that Sonic Generations, as good as it was, was still a mess. They didn't really have a direction for the game, and even its primary gimmick (2D classic Sonic) didn't exist until late in development.

Sonic Colors is the "one true modern Sonic" game that gets everything right: balance of 2D to 3D sections in levels, fresh original inventive zone concepts, astounding music, a simple fun story with genuinely cunning humor, no shitty friends. It's the best Sonic game since the 16-bit era hands down. It is only crippled by the Wii's hardware in that it doesn't run at 60fps. If it did, it would be fully amazing.

But the fact that they considered Colors the "Sonic for the kiddies" originally and Sonic 4 "Sonic for the adult bros" followed up by Generations not even really having a concept behind it, indicates they still have no f**king clue what to do with Sonic.

(Note: I'm not saying Generations is a Bad Game (tm). It's good. But it suffers from its basic concept forcing it to rely on too many 3D only zones, that stretch 3D Sonic gameplay thin. They still haven't figured out a good way to handle Sonic turning at high speed in 3D.)
Additionally, the final bit of Generations seemed quite rushed (and this is especially evident during the final boss and the lead-up to the final boss). Generations' Planet Wisp is something I'd originally pegged as rushed, but then I read that interview where they'd developed Generations and Colours concurrently, and likely took the concepts for Planet Wisp and did their own thing for Generations (hence why the stages and wisp usage seemed to deviate from the original Colours levels).

Colours seems to focus more on the platforming aspect, while Generations seems to focus more on the time attack aspect instead. I think both aspects have place in a Sonic game, and I felt Generations' Modern levels did a lot right in terms of the 3D behind-the-back segments due to the level design. Colours' levels did a lot right in terms of the 2D side-scrolling sections, but there are some bits of Generations' Classic 2D levels that I kind of liked too.

I think both Colours and Generations complement each other well, but Colours is ultimately the more cohesive and more 'complete' of the two. I love Generations, but I prefer Colours a little more.

Open-world. So like GTA meaning...Shadow the Hedgehog driving and gun controls?

Anyway, given the last Activision powered bubble *Hero was burned to a cinder after about 3 years ( i know Guitar Hero games have been round long than them but quiet...) and SEGA are looking to have Sonic rip-off Skylanders abnout 3 years after Skylanders...well. *sonic 1 game over music*

Buying statue's to unlock playable characters is a bit silly.
Thankfully in the case of Sonic its a blessing as most of them you would rather not play as. I'm sure Big the Cat will sell by the dozen.

Lijik

FINALLY COME UP WITH 3D FORMULA THATS PASSABLE AND CAN BE REFINED INTO GREAT THINGS

rubuhaato.jpg

DITCH IT FOR OPEN WORLD REBOOT LEARNING NOTHING

Top Bottom