• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible Sonic reboot in 2014, would be open world

ffdgh

Just keep colors/generations gameplay and throw in chao gardens again.

And how could they possibly think changing sonic/Robotnic's look would make them better?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
In the future Sonic Team will all be fired.
In the future Sonic will have a great game.

bff3f5eb4ec5d9ef3c1611efb2c36576.gif

Foffy

Banned
Thankfully in the case of Sonic its a blessing as most of them you would rather not play as. I'm sure Big the Cat will sell by the dozen.

Big is packed in with every copy by default. Have to preorder the Super Sonic Edition to play as any other character, or buy an online code to do so.

Sponge

Banned
Sonic turning into Skylanders?

Sega, please just die already and let Nintendo acquire the Sonic IP before you destroy it again.

wrowa

FINALLY COME UP WITH FORMULA THATS PASSABLE AND CAN BE REFINED INTO GREAT THINGS

You know, that sentence actually describes why it's a good idea for them to not even try anymore. They tried for more than 10 years to get Sonic in 3D "right" and after all that time the only thing they have achieved is making a formula that's merely "passable" in the fan's minds.

If they can't get it right, if it's just passable; why even try to make it "right" for the old fans? Why not reboot the franchise altogether and make it into something younger players will eat up? Why not just shit on the old fans that won't like your new games anyway?

BD1

Banned
How long before Sammy decides to liquidate sega and there is an IP grab between publishers?It's going to be weird seeing Sonic published by Activision.

Anth0ny

They don't get it "right" until they make a game that can proudly stand alongside Sonic 1/2/CD/3K.

Nintendo gets Mario "right", so it is possible to release new entries in old franchises that can stand alongside their predecessors. Sega is just too inept to be able to do so, alas.

At least we've got past the garbage of Sonic Adventures/Heroes/2006/Shadow/Unleashed and into passable with Colors and Generations, but they're not there yet, not by a bloody long shot.

You haven't given up hope for the franchise? Interesting.

I don't expect them to ever make a game that would reach Genesis tier. Ever. I guess my standards are lower, but I thought Generations was really good. Best time I've had with a Sonic game since the Genesis days. Not on their level, but still really good.

Mario is an anomaly. You'd be hard pressed to name another franchise that is "right", especially one that has been going for as long as Sonic.

Foffy

Banned
if you expect the games to ever be as "good" as the s1->k, you're never going to enjoy the franchise again.

It's quite sad that of the old school franchises, it seems only Nintendo is the only company who can make new games that can beat old ones in quality.

Sonic, Spyro, Crash, Banjo..you have to make tiers to fit all of the games in reasonably. But when a new Mario game comes out, it has the chance of being better than a lot of the other games in that franchise.

The level design in both Unleashed and Colors is awful. Generations has some awesome levels though, and the best ones are much more open. Hmm...

CorvoSol

see, i'd love a 2d sonic like the 2d sections in generations, i just don't trust that it would turn out as well. but i'm a pessimist.

Fair enough. We all have things like that. I'd love a 3D Secret of Mana game, but after SD4, I don't trust Square to do that.

You didn't think this was cool?

4x0ho.jpg

There have been worse redesigns in this industry. At least Human Robotnik finally explained why he can find the Chaos Emeralds everywhere.

qq more

Both Sonic and Robotnik looked sort of creepy in Sonic 06.

I swear to god, I was caught off guard the moment I saw Robotnik's eyes. Aggghhh.

EDIT: Only cool thing about 06 Robotnik was that his glasses were actually computerized.

wrowa

I don't think that Nintendo would be able to make Sonic "good" again, by the way. It's not their style of game, they probably wouldn't know what to do with it.

Dachande

What the fuck? People are AGAINST this?

The current Sonic formula is old, tired, broken. It needs to reboot and a complete reimagining from the ground up. This could be it.

The Sonic Adventure style had run its course years upon years ago - Generations was just more polish on a design that wasn't that good in the first place. Throw it away, do it all again. There's more than one way to do Sonic in 3D, they just need to let go of the past. They'll also never make a 2D Sonic as good as the run they had from Sonic 1 - Sonic 3&K so they should stop trying that too.

This is the best news for the Sonic series in years. Of course, there's every chance Sonic Team could fuck it up, but I'd rather they tried this than shat out something else based on existing designs.

Everything wrong with the franchise in the last decade has its roots in the Sonic Adventure games. Sonic 06 was the weight of all that crap collapsing on itself. Given this, why do people still want Sonic Adventure 3?

Darryl

Banned

The current Sonic formula is old, tired, broken. It needs to reboot and a complete reimagining from the ground up. This could be it.

The Sonic Adventure style had run its course years upon years ago - Generations was just more polish on a design that wasn't that good in the first place. Throw it away, do it all again. There's more than one way to do Sonic in 3D, they just need to let go of the past. They'll also never make a 2D Sonic as good as the run they had from Sonic 1 - Sonic 3&K so they should stop trying that too.

This is the best news for the Sonic series in years. Of course, there's every chance Sonic Team could fuck it up, but I'd rather they tried this than shat out something else based on existing designs.

I just fear that they're going to mess it up. Sonic Generations was one of the better games that I've played last year. If they step closer to Skylanders, I don't think it would be very good for me.

Unleashed, Colors, and Generations really aren't similar to Adventure at all and I thought Colors was actually really good despite some lack of polish. It's annoying to change now when the series has been on a major upswing over the last few years.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Both Sonic and Robotnik looked sort of creepy in Sonic 06.

I swear to god, I was caught off guard the moment I saw Robotnik's eyes. Aggghhh.
They became misshapen due to checking Iblis's power level too much.

CorvoSol said:
There have been worse redesigns in this industry.
That's true. The design is truly off for me, though.

Then again, I don't care for Metal Sonic's redesign as Metal Overlord either.

Tuck

Ugh fuck. I hope it is heavily inspired by the Unleashed style games. Those were great. Doesn't sound like it though.

Dachande

I just fear that they're going to mess it up. Sonic Generations was one of the better games that I've played last year. If they step closer to Skylanders, I don't think it would be very good for me.

I think there's an extremely high chance they'll fuck it up. Like, near 100%. It's shadow-of-their-former-selves Sonic Team, it's almost a given.

Still the most interesting Sonic news in years though.

What would be better is "Sega give Sonic to third party team to reimagine from the ground up". Then we can start talking the chances of a new Sonic game being good again.

Unleashed, Colors, and Generations really aren't similar to Adventure at all and I thought Colors was actually really good despite some lack of polish. It's annoying to change now when the series has been on a major upswing over the last few years.

No, they're just 2D Sonic games, which is the other Sonic design style that's been beaten to death in an attempt to better the original games. Which none of them have.

No, they're just 2D Sonic games, which is the other Sonic design style that's been beaten to death in an attempt to better the original games. Which none of them have.

They do have a good bit of 3D parts and a lot of the 2D parts don't play like Genesis games (though the classic ones in Generations do) and "2D" isn't really a style.

RagnarokX

Guys, this is Sega, the company that radically throws away what works for no reason at all. Yuji Naka wanted Sonic 3 to be a 3D game because after 2 games apparently the formula was stale and the only reason Sonic 3 turned out to be the best game in the series is because making it 3D was too much work. The 3D work ended up being the special stages.

When I think "open world" I think something like Mario 64/Banjo/DK64 design, less "track"/rollercoaster like 3D Sonic games.

Could be good.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I liked Sonic Colors and I absolutely adored Sonic Generations.

Just when I start to get excited about the direction they're going, they say they're changing it.

CrazyDude

Guys, this is Sega, the company that radically throws away what works for no reason at all. Yuji Naka wanted Sonic 3 to be a 3D game because after 2 games apparently the formula was stale and the only reason Sonic 3 turned out to be the best game in the series is because making it 3D was too much work. The 3D work ended up being the special stages.

sonic-3d-blast-3.jpg

Mistle

if true, absolutely insane, considering they were FINALLY heading down the right path with colors and generations

Dachande

^^^ Eeeh, fine. They're still very much based off the linear narrow path styles of the previous games though, with bits tacked on. Who cares.

They do have a good bit of 3D parts.

They're 'okay' at best. At the very, very, best. Typically they're a lot worse. Like I said, needs a complete reboot and rethink from scratch to become something special. The original Sonic games went toe-to-toe with Mario; I won't be happy unless Sonic is that good again.

Not that he will be, because Sonic Team have lost it and Sega refuses farm him out to competent third party developers. And not that this news is true anyway. It's probably not.

EDIT: Oh, the Skylanders style toy ideas are shit. It wouldn't be a new Sonic idea with some shit thing added to it, I suppose.

Top Bottom