• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post Hilariously Broken Cards of any TCG

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing about walk vs. ancestral is that ancestral gives you gas RIGHT NOW, where as walk you have to wait another turn before you get anything out of it. A walk when you have nothing going on is like playing a blue version of Explore, and that's not exactly exciting.

Ancestral though, that's always dope.

Shinjica

4.jpg

Now there are few cards that can call themselves a win condition all on their own but Emrakul is 100% a win condition by itself. A free turn means you basically get to go instantly after which could mean 15 free damage, and force your opponent to discard 6 cards from their deck.

When polymorph decks that ran this abomination where the flavor of the month some seriously dumb shit was bound to happen. You'd literally only run 4 Emrakuls in your deck.
For reference this is polymorph.

67.jpg

Things would get silly

I wish i can see the face of the people who lose a game for this combo

vikki

I was under the impression this deck was built for 0 turn wins. I don't play any TCG besides casually once and awhile so I don't really know what I'm talking about. I just thought it was funny.

"Hey do you want to play this card game?"
"Sure!"
"Okay I win!"
"That wasn't fun at all."

Thank you! Now that I think about it, I believe he called it the Flash Hulk deck.

Usually the Turn 0 decks are built solely for that purpose and fall apart when the necessary cards aren't drawn right away.

The only thing worse than Turn 0 wins are Turn 0 "now you can't possibly win but it'll take a while" situations.

I'd have to realize that I'm not going to win though.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Longtime Vintage player here.

Black Lotus is broken but not hilariously so. A lot of the truly old/broken MTG cards are only really busted because of the way they interact with each other, and even then they are situationally not that great cards to draw.

Except for for one.

UT4FyKB.jpg

There's no situation in which this card isn't broken, and that's what makes it so hilariously broken. It's always going to be crazy and degenerate and if you have the means to cast it you always want to include it in your deck. Even Lotus is a pretty poor topdeck when you just want to draw a spell or creature late in the game. Ancestral is always pure gas.

I cant imagine Time Walk is much better.

From the Star Wars CCG:

My main man Palpy. A single-card, non-weapon, out-of-battle character who can bury opposing characters like no one's business (and at any time, no less), with absurd power levels, extra Force generation, and can be further augmented with "helper" cards. He was so broken from a power standpoint that Decipher had to put out a card (Mon Mothma) to attempt to counter it.

Got Obi-Wan and this card? Congrats, you'll win every game. This fucked with the dev team's philosophy that the Dark Side was supposed to get Force regeneration first, so Obi-Wan becomes a tank who can't be taken down by anything. LOL!

Polymorph/Eldrazi was a thing even in standard at the time and it wasn't exactly all that good. You could just kill the creature being targeted by polymorph and the rest of the spell fizzles.

You also don't get the extra turn and believe it or not there are ways to deal with Emrakul on your turn once he's on the table.

Emrakul is a hella stupid card , but it's only obnoxious, not really broken.

I cant imagine Time Walk is much better.

Time Walk wins you games you were already very likely to win, i.e. you had assembled board advantage and were going to clock them dead with hits. It's a pretty "slow" card and is very underwhelming unless you have a creature around to get the extra attack step with. Blue Explore is still Explore!

Sure, you can get your Blightsteel kill after a Tinker without letting the other guy take a turn, but if you resolved Tinker, how much trouble are you really in?

DrArchon

12383.jpg

Much like Jace, here's another card that does whatever you need it to do. It fucks up combat so much for the opponent, and when you don't need help fighing, you can just gain life. Not as busted as some of the others I guess, but this came out in a block that was full of godawful trash cards left and right, so it really stood out.

sgjackson

i'd play an ironic tcg (maybe a boxed card game) that's designed around cheap access to stuff like card draw/tutoring/board wipes/cost reduction/free spells just to see what kind of weird fringe shit ends up defining formats

KHlover

Banned
Early in the Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG Cyberstein was exceptionally good. Pay 5000 HP (out of 8000) to summon a Fusion monster without Polymerization or the Fusion materials.

If you owned the right fusion monsters that could get really nasty real fast.

Einbroch

Banned
The only thing worse than Turn 0 wins are Turn 0 "now you can't possibly win but it'll take a while" situations.

Like this?

If you get this card right away, and you're first, you win. Why? Because all you have to do is stack your deck with draw trap and draw magic cards that you just play over and over until you have fifteen cards in your graveyard, because then you can activate:

Ignore the part of about 'both players". The older version required only you to have fifteen cards in YOUR graveyard. Your opponent now has zero cards in their deck, and in Yu-Gi-Oh, if you can't draw, you lose.

Fuck this stupid card. I've only seen this strategy once, but it was the most frustrating thing ever.

DieH@rd

Banned
What's the game of that card that forces players to take their decks and start ANOTHER SEPARATE GAME. The looser of that game looses half of health in the original game. :D

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Longtime Vintage player here.

Black Lotus is broken but not hilariously so. A lot of the truly old/broken MTG cards are only really busted because of the way they interact with each other, and even then they are situationally not that great cards to draw.

Except for for one.

UT4FyKB.jpg

There's no situation in which this card isn't broken, and that's what makes it so hilariously broken. It's always going to be crazy and degenerate and if you have the means to cast it you always want to include it in your deck. Even Lotus is a pretty poor topdeck when you just want to draw a spell or creature late in the game. Ancestral is always pure gas.

Pretty much every Vintage deck has 2-4 Mental Missteps now. It rarely even resolves.

I would argue Force of Will is actually more powerful, its just legal in Legacy because it has to be.

Cagey

Banned
Nope. Some people even thought it was a bad card when it was first spoiled. For some reason it didn't dawn on people how easy it would be to cast this for just U.

In the 20+ years of Magic history, there's pro-type people who still don't realize what happens when you can cast things for an absurdly undercosted price or when you can also draw lots of extra cards? Let alone both at once? Damn.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
12383.jpg

Much like Jace, here's another card that does whatever you need it to do. It fucks up combat so much for the opponent, and when you don't need help fighing, you can just gain life. Not as busted as some of the others I guess, but this came out in a block that was full of godawful trash cards left and right, so it really stood out.

Such a shame Kamigawa was a gunshy block because they fucked up so massively in Mirrodin. The theme is great and I'm sad we probably wont see it again.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
A lot of the truly old/broken MTG cards are only really busted because of the way they interact with each other, and even then they are situationally not that great cards to draw.

Except for for one. Ancestral Recall

There's no situation in which this card isn't broken, and that's what makes it so hilariously broken. It's always going to be crazy

You're forgetting about another power 9 card that's always good.

2.jpg

Another turn is so stupid for card advantage, you draw again you get to play another land, you're just ahead for the rest of the game, it's insanely powerful.

Pretty much every Vintage deck has 4 Mental Missteps now. It rarely even resolves.

That's not how it actually plays in the real world, and sometimes while it doesn't resolve it does so much damage to the opposing player's situation (i.e. Force of Will discard) that you still come out way ahead in the exchange.

Force of Will is pretty awful against decks doing reasonably fair things.

Alavard

27.png

Since not many people are familiar with Overpower (which was an old Marvel and then DC card game), I'll explain.

First, each of those stats, Energy, Fighting, Strength, and Intellect, is usually between 1-8. It determines what attack cards of those types you can use. Most characters have a couple mid/high stats and a couple mid/low stats. Batman was 2/7/4/7 for comparison. Beyonder can play any card of any strength.

Second, each character had specific 'special' cards. These were cards that represented the specific special abilities, techniques, powers, gadgets, etc, that the character could do. Some were attacks, or heals, or buffs, that sort of thing. But a character could only use the special cards for them. Cyclops could only use Cyclops special cards. Batman could only use Batman special cards. As you can see, the Beyonder can use *any* special card.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I always wish this card just read "Play Your Graveyard". Cut to the chase, people.

The oracle text is:

"Until end of turn, you may play cards from your graveyard.

If a card would be put into your graveyard from anywhere this turn, exile that card instead."

Shorter and more to the point.

Old black cards needed to be worded as complicated as humanly possible. Chains of Mephistopheles anyone?

Arabian Nights was a regular set.

0F1tIdy.jpg

KHlover

Banned
Wasn't there a card in magic which you let drop on the field and the destroy any card it touches? Which was once abused by someone ripping it to shreds and letting those fall on the field, destroying every card of his opponent?

Opiate

I own an unlimited Ancestral Recall, a Beta Black Lotus, an Alpha Time Walk, and an unlimited Time Walk. I also own unlimited and Beta versions of all the Moxes.

I do not play Magic: The Gathering, and haven't for well over a decade. Have a nice day.

Siegcram

Wasn't there a card in magic which you let drop on the field and the destroy any card it touches? Which was once abused by someone ripping it to shreds and letting those fall on the field, destroying every card of his opponent?
There you go:
Image.ashx

Nikodemos

For a short period of time, the Vampire Hexmage + Dark Depths combo was unbeatable. 20/20 Flying Indestructible horror on turn 3? Yes please.

Chaos Confetti is one of the most memorable Magic cards I know of

Literally a broken card:

Chaos%20Confetti.full.jpg

flawless
anuxi_deal.gif

"and you thought that was just an urban legend"

goober

People are speaking another language. These cards sound OP, but us non-TCG peasants would like to know why.

Old black cards needed to be worded as complicated as humanly possible. Chains of Mephistopheles anyone?

I still have one of these that I won in a small local tournament back in 1996. I actually used it in Legacy Jund decks back when they were viable to deal with blue bullshit. Was pretty effective and had the added bonus of really making the other guy make unforced errors since they were really shaky on how the card actually works.

Angry Grimace

That's not how it actually plays in the real world, and sometimes while it doesn't resolve it does so much damage to the opposing player's situation (i.e. Force of Will discard) that you still come out way ahead in the exchange.

Force of Will is pretty awful against decks doing reasonably fair things.

Yes it does, I play Vintage competitively on MTGO all the time. Recall is never not going to be a broken card, but its not a huge player in pretty much any deck because its Restricted to begin with.

McNum

Image.ashx

What a monstrosity. And at uncommon too!
I was just about to ask why this card is so powerful... and then it clicked.

Play Skullclamp. Equip to X/1 creature. Creature becomes X/0 and goes to the graveyard. Draw two cards. Skullclamp is still in play. Repeat for as many X/1 creatures and mana you have available. Enjoy huge card advantage.

That's how this works, isn't it? You use it to kill your own creatures for cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom