• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

post the most convincing CGI

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Hand drawn. Every frame.

Well, sort of.
The base was your basic hand-drawn character animation.
And then there were layers of effects animation to simulate lighting on the character, (like some traditional animation only more elaborate) also mostly hand-drawn.
But some of that was pure photographic trickery, like the sequins on Jessica Rabbit's dress.

Bold One

laHYEmb.gif

no way that had a $30 mill budget. . . no wayyy./

tis true, a remarkable achievement

The first Iron Man had some really great CG. I thought the suit was practical until I saw the behind the scenes stuff. Just looks super tactile and weighty.

I see gravity coming up a lot and I dunno. While not bad I think some parts toke you out of it. Like a lot of the zero G Sandra Bullock stuff were she was in her underwear looked bad enough to take me out of the moment.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Well, sort of.
The base was your basic hand-drawn character animation.
And then there were layers of effects animation to simulate lighting on the character, (like some traditional animation only more elaborate) also mostly hand-drawn.
But some of that was pure photographic trickery, like the sequins on Jessica Rabbit's dress.

Every frame of animation in that movie is hand drawn. The use of effects like Jessica's sequins do not change that fact.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Every frame of animation in that movie is hand drawn. The use of effects like Jessica's sequins do not change that fact.

Well, it's easily closer to being purely hand-drawn than Fantasia.
I don't see anyone debating that Fantasia wasn't hand-drawn.

Digital compositing in something like Zodiac is really well done but on the scale of difficulty and achievement:

Digital Composited Scene w/ Camera Tracking <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Full CG scene

I_D

Since you are going to nitpick, I'm going to nitpick your nitpick.

Seems like you guys all missed the part where I said Avatar is the best CG ever made, to date.

Like I said, the fact that nitpicking is required to see flaws means it's damn good.
But I can see where people are coming from when they say it's not perfect.

Tom_Cody

How exactly was the CGI in District 9 so good considering its $30million budget?
laHYEmb.gif

no way that had a $30 mill budget. . . no wayyy./
District 9 was a pet project of Weta. The $30m number is deceptive.

(Although technically they did production design and not the actual CG).

District 9 looks great because Neill Blomkamp's aesthetic is born out of his visual effects insight which basically boils down to 'Throw some dirt on it.'
Also this.

Roo

Legally, could someone use a CGI version of a deceased actor for a movie?

I mean, without paying anyone.

Legally speaking? yes
Usually, most of Hollywood actors are paid in advance even before their movies come out.
Like it or not, there's a contract (clause) so the contract holder is free to do whatever they want: ditch their entire role/footage, try to fix it with previously recorded stuff or (in this case) CGI.

I assume there would be a point where the studios talk the deceased actor's family and express what their plans are and if they agree with them but even if they don't, there's nothing they can do about it.

Legally speaking? yes
Usually, most of Hollywood actors are paid in advance even before their movies come out.
Like it or not, there's a contract (clause) so the contract holder is free to do whatever they want: ditch their entire role/footage, try to fix it with previously recorded stuff or (in this case) CGI.

I assume there would be a point where the studios talk the deceased actor's family and express what their plans are and if they agree with them but even if they don't, there's nothing they can do about it.

And how about a regular guy?

For example, someone posted a video from Vimeo of a very talented artist who did a CGI film by himself.

Let's say he creates a photorealistic CGI movie using Audrey Hepburn as the main character.

Would it be legal?

strobogo

Banned
And how about a regular guy?

For example, someone posted a video from Vimeo of a very talented artist who did a CGI film by himself.

Let's say he creates a photorealistic CGI movie using Audrey Hepburn as the main character.

Would it be legal?

Of course not. You can't use someone's likeness without permission. Even if that person is dead. Especially a famous person who still has an estate to sign off on her likeness.

Loxley

I laughed. Anything that isn't T-Rex at night in the rain looks dated as fuck.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I don't know if it's pure nostalgia or what, but why people seem to think stuff like this or this looks superior to anything past 2002 is beyond me. Forgetting for a second superior lighting and texturing technology, compare simply how much better the T-Rex in Peter Jackson's King Kong moves compared to Jurassic Park. When the T-rex in JP is walking or moving slowly, it looks great, but any faster and his animations become pretty jarring to look at with modern eyes.

Now I'm not saying the dinosaurs in King Kong are used as effectively as in Jurassic Park, or are vastly superior in every single way (lest we be reminded of the stampede scene) - but from a pure tech standpoint, there's absolutely nothing about JP's CGI that hasn't been bested in other films since.

And good lord, King Kong came out nearly ten years ago o_O

JordanN

Banned
I found newer screens of the Brigade engine.

Some of them are flat out fake, others though are nice to look at. Remember it's all for real time production so nothing is pre-rendered.
ine1D09EZ6iu.jpg

iUbZTOrSpEpWz.jpg

ibpMWEZpAYVglL.jpg

i5MB0Pu1nhLiT.jpg

iOMVDoou9EQI8.jpg

ibtvreV3YjyOIl.jpg

iBzVdH700pXqG.jpg

ibqsuTX5x0F504.jpg

Are you kidding me? The compositing in the king Kong clip is atrocious. The cgi elements are pretty awesome but the fantastical animation hurts the overall quality.

Are you kidding me? The compositing in the king Kong clip is atrocious. The cgi elements are pretty awesome but the fantastical animation hurts the overall quality.

The only good effects CGI wise that remember from King Kong was King Kong himself, and those weird worms thing. I didn't like any of the other CGI effects in it. Plus the acting was horrible.

90's win again.

trex-encounter-jurassic-park.jpg
There's a lot of really smart choices here. Most of Jurriasic Park's CGI heavy moments take place in nighttime, raining or low light settings (sometimes all three), which helps hide detail. In this one, we're also drawn away from the CGI car. We know the Dinosaur is fake (it has to be, right?), but it's far away. Some of the more upclose and daylight CG is less convincing, but considering this movie was made in '93 and the CGI holds up to modern standards, it's pretty damn impressive.

In terms of most impressive CGI, I have to go with Avatar. I bet most people would be surprised what is and isn't CGI in that movie.

Very impressive

yEouS12.jpg

rljzQOn.jpg

3GTG0ir.jpg

I hadn't been impressed by movie CG for a loooong time before I say this movie. For me it was the combination of super details on the simple models (textures and stuff), plus the carefully done "non-perfect stuff" (you can notice some LEGO pieces are like the tiles are off just a little bit or scratched), the camera effects making it look like everything is actually miniatures, and most importantly was the fact that they used real motion capture limitations to model the animations.

They limited themselves to animate only on the planes of movement that the actual objects would have, so you don't have things bending or stretching. I knew the movie was CG before seeing it, but I was honestly wondering if parts of it were real because of how good it looked. So much more creative and refreshing than the usual "animated look" most Dreamworks and Pixar movies are having these days.

RedSwirl

Man, most of the time these days when CGI is pulled off well I don't even think of it as well-done CG. I just accept it as a real shot and stop caring about how they actually achieved it. In my opinion the best effects of this day and age have passed the point where great effects alone can impressed me because they all look "real enough" to me. After the first few minutes on on Pandora in Avatar I just criticized the movie itself instead of marveling at the CG in it.

falastini

There's a lot of really smart choices here. Most of Jurriasic Park's CGI heavy moments take place in nighttime, raining or low light settings (sometimes all three), which helps hide detail. In this one, we're also drawn away from the CGI car. We know the Dinosaur is fake (it has to be, right?), but it's far away. Some of the more upclose and daylight CG is less convincing, but considering this movie was made in '93 and the CGI holds up to modern standards, it's pretty damn impressive.

In terms of most impressive CGI, I have to go with Avatar. I bet most people would be surprised what is and isn't CGI in that movie.

I thought the dinos were animatronic? Or am I confusing the definition of CG? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=B4J9TBlFxAg#t=20

jett

D-Member
The new Robocop deserves an honorable mention. Most of the time Robocop is 100% CGI in the movie, face excepted.

zgfH8LQ.gif

It works completely seamlessly in the film.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The new Robocop deserves an honorable mention. Most of the time Robocop is 100% CGI in the movie, face excepted.

zgfH8LQ.gif

So basically what they've been doing with Iron Man? ;P

- J - D -

zgfH8LQ.gif

Good call. There are some rough spots here and there, but generally the effects work in Robo 2014 is spectacular.

ea_133_0060_bna.0063.jpg

rw_032_0065_bna.0121-1024x576.jpg

robocop5.jpg

robocop8.jpg

So basically what they've been doing with Iron Man? ;P

Sure, but doesn't negate the quality of work elsewhere, man.

jett i like you

i like you i like you i like you

i saw robertcop like 2 weeks ago and yeah the cgi was GREAT

also how about that jackie earl halie

Seems like you guys all missed the part where I said Avatar is the best CG ever made, to date.

Like I said, the fact that nitpicking is required to see flaws means it's damn good.
But I can see where people are coming from when they say it's not perfect.
I was pointing out that half of your nitpicks are not real issues.

zma1013

What was the point of having him in a suit then?

Acting purposes, and the director wanted the chance of using shots of a real suit as much as possible in close-ups and such, although in the end it wasn't feasible.

It's also usually done so that they can mimic the exact lighting of the scene. Easier to match if you have a guy wearing a similar suit with real light bouncing off of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom