• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

post the most convincing CGI

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaBoiX

According to an interview I've watched, it's because Tom thought this would look cool.

I agree with him. I thought it cool when I first saw it
It does look pretty cool, I like the shot. It just doesn't make sense.

If there was a wall to the left of the shot and an entirety open space to the right it might've made sense as a bouncing shockwave. But it's just a bit daft the way it is.
btw. during that bridge scene all the water was added per green screen

mission_impossible_3.e9c8h.jpg

Really surprised me when I watched the making of.
That's pretty cool, but I think we nailed CGI water a while ago. It looks pretty damn impressive in real time on games these days.

Why is the guy to the left thrown to the left and the guy on the right to the right? Shouldn't they be booth going in the same direction?

No, because the pilot is thrown forward due to being strapped in to his seat and then bounces to the right, the other guy is thrown left due to not being strapped.

EVOL 100%

Why is Immortal Daemon getting shit for picking out some of the problems of Avatar's CGI? I mean, it's obviously the best CGI ever and looks fucking amazing, but there is definitely some room for improvement. It's the small things that make look something truly real. CGI is not quite there yet

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
_Convincing _
so thats an uphill battle for Avatar from the get-go.

The most convincing stuff out there are scenes where CG is getting along with real life.

on that part, CG-Real Life scenes in Avatar were not that good

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Tangled looks good, but I think this thread is dedicated to photo-realistic CGI.

If we're talking animated features, Rango takes the cake there.

Also, these threads always devolve into this mess. Since everyone on GAF is a graphics expert of course. ;)

Jedi2016

The most convincing are the shots you don't even realize are CG, where they've just done stuff like backgrounds, digital matte painting, etc. The "blatant" CG like in this thread (where you automatically know that something is CG) is actually only a small part of it. It's the most obvious part, but only a part.

yup

I was rewatching the other day Starship troopers and I was damn impressed with the visuals too, especially considering its from 97

tumblr_lcgl7n6PHG1qdezf9o1_400.gif

Yeah, Starship Troopers was flat out amazing win it came out in 97, was a great theater experience. Shame the movie itself went over every ones head.

It still looks great today, some visible warts yes. But considering it's 17 years old, it looks incredible.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
No, because the pilot is thrown forward due to being strapped in to his seat and then bounces to the right, the other guy is thrown left due to not being strapped.

Except the seat is not moving even an inch, therefor there could be no rebound effect as harsch as seen here, the pilot would just be pressed into the seat for the duration of the crash and would only then move forward if also the other guy would bounce around somewhat.

delta25

Banned
I've always felt that Battle: Los Angeles had some pretty good CGI

bla_aliens.jpg

battlelabdcap5_original.jpg

I'm also probably the only person on the face of the planet that actually really likes the movie

Why is the guy to the left thrown to the left and the guy on the right to the right? Shouldn't they be booth going in the same direction?

One is a purely physics thing, the other is a reaction+physics thing because he sees what is about to happen before it happens and that gives him time to look away.

At least, that's the best I can tell.

Also, these threads always devolve into this mess. Since everyone on GAF is a graphics expert of course. ;)

I understand what you're getting at, but everyone has watched and observed the real world with their eyes for their entire lives. So it's very easy to tell when something just feels not quite right. The layman may not be able to specifically describe that a particular shot didn't use sufficient subsurface scattering on a person, but they can sense that it looks off.

lol @ people suggesting Avatar should have used people in make-up to portray the nine foot tall, elongated, impossible large eyed cat people.

Ecto311

district_9_vfx_oscar.gif
.... DISTRICT 9 by far is probably the most convincing use of cgi in a movie ive ever seen

I was going to say the same thing. The director has a good history of doing awesome special effects that have something magic to them - at least to me. This movie and the shorts on online were amazing. My favorite aspect to them was how he made the movie a movie and the crazy shit around in the movie was not focused on directly. In most special effect movies they focus on the nutty shit and it feels like a movie. This movie and the shorts feel like a world where aliens or monsters are running around but are normal. You don't focus on cars/people/pets in a movie because it's understood those are normal things in the world.

I think AVATAR takes the cake.
Its the first movie I can recall with that kind of heavy use of CG that I stopped thinking - "Damn that looks good they did a amazing job with that" and just started enjoying the movie. I can't think of one scene pulling me out of the movie because of some badly done effect.

I think it stands easily alone as the best.

Despera

Banned
Are these really the best we could do with current tech?

This thread proved that we still have a long way to go.

WillyFive

Seriously? How?

I had no reason to think they were CG when I first saw them in theaters (except for the obvious million crowd shots), they looked to me exactly how a Stormtrooper looked except with a new helmet. And of course, rewatching the movies on VHS didn't reveal anything that would give it away as fake.

It wasn't until I saw the DVD features that showed how not a single clone trooper was real that I realized it, and still can't believe it. It was excellently done.

Its the first movie I can recall with that kind of heavy use of CG that I stopped thinking - "Damn that looks good they did a amazing job with that" and just started enjoying the movie. I can't think of one scene pulling me out of the movie because of some badly done effect.

I think it stands easily alone as the best.x

The comments critizing Avatar make me believe that half of neogaf think the blue creatures were the only things CGI

Pandora and it's vegetation looked as real as anything.

I had no reason to think they were CG when I first saw them in theaters (except for the obvious million crowd shots), they looked to me exactly how a Stormtrooper looked except with a new helmet. And of course, rewatching the movies on VHS didn't reveal anything that would give it away as fake.

It wasn't until I saw the DVD features that showed how not a single clone trooper was real that I realized it, and still can't believe it. It was excellently done.

Episode III had alot of great CGI. It still had some bad CGI, but this one had the best CGI out of all the prequels. It's actually the one prequel I liked the most. I also thought they did a great job with Clone Troopers in this movie.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

I think it stands easily alone as the best.

Yep. It certainly set the standard. Amazing visuals.

It's subtle, but the compositing in Spielberg's War of the Worlds is really good imo. It reminds me of Neil Blomkamp's style in that real world is augmented very thoughtfully with cgi.

war-of-the-worlds-20050722055101768.jpg

the-war-of-the-worlds-2005-20051202041657314-000.jpg

Stills-of-the-special-effects-from-Steven-Spielbergs-War-of-the-Worlds-starring-Tom-Cruise-Dakota-Fanning-and-Justin-Chatwin-960x578.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom