• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

post the most convincing CGI

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaBoiX

Yeah, I can't understand people saying Avatar looks dated, it really doesn't. It's so cohesive and plausible within the context of the narrative.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It costs money and paperwork to find a street, block it for several hours, move the cast and crew there and hope it's not too dark, too light or it's not raining. Might as well do it in the studio. If something goes wrong you can change it on the computer instead of re-shooting the scene.

A better and common reason to do that is that the area has changed since the time the movie is supposed to take place.

I'm actually surprised no one's said Starship Troopers yet.

Some of the Bug CGI really stands up even today, for a 90's movie:

tumblr_msolk2VjDu1sur8xko2_500.gif

troopersmelt.gif

tumblr_lcgl7n6PHG1qdezf9o1_400.gif

starshiptroopersmovie2.gif

st04.gif

SGIJEpS.gif

starship-troopers.gif

tumblr_lzibl3L3A11qahql3.gif

The ship CGI not so much though.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

What's funny is that the ships actually aren't CGI (with rare exceptions) and they're more dated than the CGI.
Unless you mean the really obvious CGI in the propaganda commercials.

...uhm those are aliens in district 9 as well so how does this thought process work?

They're aliens which don't have facial expressions and motions which approximate those of a human being though, so despite knowing they didn't exist I simultaneously had no expectations for how they should appear. That made it easier for me to maintain the suspension of disbelief, whereas with Avatar I frequently felt as though there were tiny niggling details which were ever so slightly off.

pestul

Avatar is the most incredible CG every achieved imo, that said and for the focus of this thread, I don't find it to be convincing in terms of realism. I know we can't really compare the characters and environments to much, but it always felt like an amazing achievement in animation to me. Not realistic in any sense.

It is likely just the lighting, but I find District 9 to be more 'realistic'.

Roo

Everything in these gif's are CG. Anyone who says Avatar looked bad or weird are out of their minds. It's still hard to digest how much of an achievement this movie was.

The movie as a whole did a good job in the CGI department but denying there were some severe flaws is just.. wrong.

Sapiens

I really hate when the "purists" come in these threads and shit all over years of hard work just because something was not shot on location using miniatures.

I mean, people complaining about Zodiac being shot in a studio? So what? What about Singin' in the Rain...

Does it bother you that one of the greatest scenes ever committed to film was shot in a studio with "fake" rain?

All film is illusion.

Why did they do this?

Because Fincher wanted completely accurate 1960's san francisco crime scenes. The modern day locations are very different from what they were back then.

You'd be amazed how many movies do this for some scenes, it's just that Zodiac had a staggering amount of them and noone noticed. The only scenes that are really obvious are the flybys through San Fran bay, whenever CG is the focus it's hard not to scruitinize it, but when it's the background and slightly out of focus you can never tell.

I_D

Avatar is the most incredible CG every achieved imo, that said and for the focus of this thread, I don't find it to be convincing in terms of realism. I know we can't really compare the characters and environments to much, but it always felt like an amazing achievement in animation to me. Not realistic in any sense.

Ironic that you used these words. I've always found the animation to the be the weakest part of Avatar.
The textures are nice and the lighting is nice, but the animation always looks a bit off.

neytiripaintturnflyiqjeu.gif

Braids are either incredibly heavy or they're made of pipe cleaners. Head-Flower has petals of super strength. Necklaces aren't affected by wind at all. Wind has no effect on her eyes or face, and she doesn't appear to have any special wind-protecting eyelids.

972_avatar1b.gif

Tail flapping around like it has a mind of its own. Lifeless eyes that don't narrow or move to increase aim. She also has some weird feather/flower thing growing out of her right shoulder.

Eyelids don't scrunch up at all, even though the bridge of the nose indicates his whole face should be crinkled in agony. His hair also doesn't fall properly when he turns his head.

untitled-24js0o.gif

Lazily floating along before passing the tree, then sudden increase of speed to "slam" into the root. Water looks like jello in the foreground. Water speed also doesn't match the 'floating' speed or the 'slamming' speed.

It's rather telling, though, that such tiny details have to be focused on in order to see flaws. The movie is definitely the best CGI out there, but I can see why it doesn't quite look right to people.

Spinluck

not knocking the cg work as its pretty impressive but why do they always stuff up the eyes.....a little less gloss and that would be perfect

eyes are among the hardest things to get right in CG.

getting them right requires a full understanding of lighting, and other things that are important when it comes to rendering eyes.

See the new TMNT movie as a reference for how not to do eyes.

I really hate when the "purists" come in these threads and shit all over years of hard work just because something was not shot on location using miniatures.

I mean, people complaining about Zodiac being shot in a studio? So what? What about Singin' in the Rain...

Does it bother you that one of the greatest scenes ever committed to film was shot in a studio with "fake" rain?

All film is illusion.
Yeah all of Avatar looked like crap to me. Different strokes I guess. It was enough to convince me to never watch a 3D movie in theaters again.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
See the new TMNT movie as a reference for how not to do eyes.

ILM is more than capable to pull it off (especially considering they've been using/iterating/improving upon a lot of the same tech for Davy Jones/Rango/Hulk/etc for TMNT) and things could very well improve in the final renders, but also you have to keep it mind that ultimately it's up to the director/producer/studio to art direct and give final approval on how something looks.

Kinyou

untitled-24js0o.gif

Lazily floating along before passing the tree, then sudden increase of speed to "slam" into the root. Water looks like jello in the foreground. Water speed also doesn't match the 'floating' speed or the 'slamming' speed.
While I also think that the water looks a little too much like jello I think it's kind of hard to tell how a big and long creature like this would float in real water. Pandora also has only 0.8 of earth's gravity which would probably affect water physics as well.

Ogni-XR21

Semi-related, but when are people going to start widely acknowledging that Jurassic Park is one of Spielberg's lesser films. It was only that initial wow-factor that held it up in esteem.

It's certainly not one of his War Horse/1941/Terminal-level abortions, but it's certainly amongst the more middle-of-the-road entries into his filmography.

So I guess you agree with me when I'm saying this:

Semi-related, but when are people going to start widely acknowledging that Avatar is one of Cameron's lesser films. It was only that initial wow-factor that held it up in esteem.

zoozilla

I'm actually surprised no one's said Starship Troopers yet.

Some of the Bug CGI really stands up even today, for a 90's movie:

I don't think Starship Troopers looks terribly realistic, but for some reason I really like the look of CGI from this era (early, mid-90s).

pestul

Ironic that you used these words. I've always found the animation to the be the weakest part of Avatar.
The textures are nice and the lighting is nice, but the animation always looks a bit off.
I was actually try to be nice there and stop a little short of comparing it to computer-animated productions aimed towards children. It just looks CG all of the time to me. The actual animation is quite good, but I agree that it does have a few flaws in places.

Braids are either incredibly heavy or they're made of pipe cleaners. Head-Flower has petals of super strength. Necklaces aren't affected by wind at all. Wind has no effect on her eyes or face, and she doesn't appear to have any special wind-protecting eyelids.

972_avatar1b.gif

Tail flapping around like it has a mind of its own. Lifeless eyes that don't narrow or move to increase aim. She also has some weird feather/flower thing growing out of her right shoulder.

Eyelids don't scrunch up at all, even though the bridge of the nose indicates his whole face should be crinkled in agony. His hair also doesn't fall properly when he turns his head.

untitled-24js0o.gif

It's rather telling, though, that such tiny details have to be focused on in order to see flaws. The movie is definitely the best CGI out there, but I can see why it doesn't quite look right to people.

This is a much nerdier version of the classic sharp knees post.

I_D

This is a much nerdier version of the classic sharp knees post.

Meh, I like sharp knees.

Like I said, it's the best CGI ever made, to date. But when you get that close to realism, the little things tend to stand out.

Dat sense of scale though.

Like this. Those two guys' legs aren't long enough for their torsos.
When you have nice CG, the imperfections ruin the overall image.

1. You realize the gif is sped up, right?

2. You don't think they might use bigger diggers a sci-fi set 150 years from now?

1) I've seen the movie, thank you very much. By smooth I didn't mean the motion but the blurriness and lack of imperfections/detail.

2) What does the size have to do with anything? I was talking about the texture, colors and lighting

Since you are going to nitpick, I'm going to nitpick your nitpick.

First of all, they are flying on the backs of Ikrans, not jets, the wind is not as strong as you think.
Second of all, those are feathers, not flowers. Third, her necklace is tightly strapped to her neck, like the radio, and the Na'Vi people are tall and slender with little body fat, so it's natural that her face don't go "flap flap" in the wind.

972_avatar1b.gif

Why do assume her tail moved like it's got a mind of its own? Maybe she moved it like that in anticipation? And I've been to archery lessons, I don't have to narrow my eyes to get the shot in such a close range, let alone her. The feather was resting on her arm and it slipped off, look more carefully.

How do you know how should their bodies work? They are aliens! And it's a thick braid.

untitled-24js0o.gif

I've been watching the gif for more than 30 times, I still don't see the increase of speed you spoke of. Gravity is weaker on Pandora, perhaps that's why it looked different. And Jake's speed in the river is dependent on the size of the surface area he's getting the push from the water flow, doesn't mean he has to move in the same speed as the water flow.

Kangi

The best pieces of CGI I've seen thus far are Davy Jones, the Blue Umbrella Pixar short, and honestly, the Blizzard cinematic trailers. Avatar's obviously spectacular, but the animation inconsistencies and "uncanny valley" effects get to me.

2. You don't think they might use bigger diggers a sci-fi set 150 years from now?

...Wait, who was talking about the size?

Zodiac looks great and if I didn't know better I would say Davy Jones is actually a real creature in existence. It still impresses me to this day. Especially the little movements on his face and when he's breathing.

The funny thing is that in that Neytiri gif, she DOES have translucent protectors for her eyes. She's just not put them down because she's not ready to start dive-bombing yet.

TAJ

It looks waxy/too smooth. Has the typical CGI look and lighting.

Miningpandora.jpg

Reality

U3q7v12.jpg

Are you kidding me here? We aren't looking at one through clouds of dust and smoke because it isn't being used.

For my money Zodiac will always be the gold standard for CGI that wasn't readily apparent as CGI. Granted I've not seen a blu ray, but it does what CGI should do, complement the scene instead of being the scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom