• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post Your Gaming Setup: 2009 Edition

MickeyPhree

Hitachi p50s602

IMG_1554.jpg

IMG_1551.jpg

btf1980

Chittagong said:
One way to view it is that I buy an item or two of furniture every 5 years or so. Each time I do, I try to get something that will last for life. An example is the Alvar Aalto dining table and chairs. They are my mom's originally, from the 70s. Thirty years old, and look still as fresh as ever.

If you buy that 2K lamp, it's probably going to cost you less than your plasma, your gaming rig or your laptop. The difference is that in ten years, all of that stuff is gone. Your lamp will be worth exactly what you bought it for, and look brilliant.

Well, that's my philosophy at least.

I agree with that philosophy, and it was that rationale that I used to buy my nelson bench. Certainly not the most expensive piece, but still a classic.

Kritz

Banned
My fairly modest setup:
(Sorry about the pictures changing in dimensions and filesize.)

Setup1.png

setup2.jpg

setup4.jpg

PCsetup.jpg

In hindsight, it's probably a bad idea to leave my game collection right near the window...

dankir

My home theater in my basement. This is my first house btw :)

Shot from my couch

Samsung 52LN65F 1080p
7 Onkyo speakers
12" 300W Klipsch Sub-12 Synergy sub
Onkyo TX-SR805 Amp
360, Wii, 60GB PS3
LG BH200 Dual HD player
Logitech 880 Harmony remote
Videotron HD cable box

IMG_4642.jpg

IMG_4645.jpg

Rear 4 speakers and computer area
IMG_4617.jpg

Games
IMG_4621.jpg

IMG_4622.jpg

HD Movies
IMG_4646.jpg

Computer Area and transformers
IMG_4623.jpg

More Transformers and my 1:18 car collection

IMG_4629.jpg

IMG_4625.jpg

And finally my bedroom setup

24" Panasonic HDTV
Xbox and Gamecube
Pioneer DIR-SE800C Wireless headphones
IMG_4607.jpg

Tabris

Your (and a lot of people in this thread) setup would be awesome if you used the following 2 items:

61F72PN1AZL._SL500_AA280_.gif

+
duster-3s.jpg

Oh, and get rid of the boxes.

pretty much the same as last year, but this was when I first moved into my apt so the walls were bare and I didn't really have anything up. my gf said she's gonna redecorate my LR for me so hopefully in a few months it'd look better. She did a good ass job on the bathroom so I'm kinda excited to see what she'd do with the rest of the crib.

DSCF1803.jpg

DSCF1793.jpg

DSCF1797-1.jpg

PSGames

bdizzle said:
pretty much the same as last year, but this was when I first moved into my apt so the walls were bare and I didn't really have anything up. my gf said she's gonna redecorate my LR for me so hopefully in a few months it'd look better. She did a good ass job on the bathroom so I'm kinda excited to see what she'd do with the rest of the crib.

I was thinking about doing this at first. What resolution is your projector?

Orobi

Just a teaser about an old friend of mine and his PC! :lol :lol
I'm still waiting to take some shot @ his incredibile PS3-station :lol

a4sob7.jpg

2n6hny0.jpg

34grqzr.jpg

M3wThr33

Banned
Tabris said:
Your (and a lot of people in this thread) setup would be awesome if you used the following 2 items:

61F72PN1AZL._SL500_AA280_.gif

+
duster-3s.jpg

Oh, and get rid of the boxes.

I'm working on it. I threw out a bunch of boxes today and next weekend it's time to wrangle some of those wires up.

Syntek

Chittagong said:
Amazing place Syntek. Looks like we share a taste in furniture. Can't really beat that view. What city?

Thanks. The place is in Vancouver, just moved in recently. I like your setup a lot, so I'm actually trying to go for a similar design/color scheme. It's not a particularly spacious apt, but as others pointed out, the view helps a lot...as long as I keep the number of furniture pieces down to a minimum.

Beautiful set-ups, Syntek and Chittagong.

I have a couple of questions, which I'll preface with a little bit of context: I'll be moving out of my parents house in about six months to get (read: rent) a place with my girlfriend at university. I'm really excited for the decorating and furnishing process, despite the fact that I have a relatively small budget. I'm willing to put in a significant chunk of time and effort to make my place look attractive and feel comfortable--but I'm concerned I won't have the money to achieve exactly what I want. Another hurdle is the fact that my knowledge of interior decorating is quite limited.

So, first--do either of you (or anyone, for that matter) have any tips for decorating on the (relatively) cheap? and beyond that, any tips that require no money and might in fact save me from buying something I don't need?

And--what are some good resources for acquiring knowledge on interior decoration and design?

Thanks in advance.

hiryu

Syntek said:
http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/7935/arcolampmt1.jpg[/IMG]
http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/5817/nighttimeel1.jpg[/QUOTE]

Where did you get those chairs and what are they called?

Well here is my picture. Don't want to take pictures of the tv room as its new and we haven't figured out what were going to to do but here is the new tv at least. As the out first HDTV I'm pretty happy with it.

PICT0055.jpg

Just have cable, PS3, and and Xbox 360 hooked up to it.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Am I the only one that doesn't get the appeal of these super-modern-looking apartments? I mean, sure, they're stylish and clean but I wouldn't be able to relax in one. They look like they belong in a museum...a cold, boring museum. I guess I could see how you might want your living area to look like that for guests but as a place for general leisure, they seem ill-suited.

GuessWho

Minotauro said:
Am I the only one that doesn't get the appeal of these super-modern-looking apartments? I mean, sure, they're stylish and clean but I wouldn't be able to relax in one. They look like they belong in a museum...a cold, boring museum. I guess I could see how you might want your living area to look like that for guests but as a place for general leisure, they seem ill-suited.

ya it's nice but really sterile. My brother just did major renovations and it looks like a room straight out of a catalog. It's nice but it's very cold.

we're just jealous

dork

Banned
LoveAndBeer said:
[

Basement Hallway to the 'Dorm Room' (filled with books/toys) followed by the Dorm Room itself and finally the pool table area (with subtle hints which university I got my degree from).
Books2Dorm.JPG

DoorSystems.JPG

DormLeft.JPG

DormRight.JPG

PoolTable.JPG

Living Room (main floor)
Sony KP-57HW40
Xbox 360 Elite
Playstation 3 (20gb w/ BC)
Wii (in the cabinet not visible) -- currently playing Rayman Raving Rabids
Dish Network 622
LivingRoom.JPG

Master Bedroom
Dynex 37" 720p LCD
Xbox 360 (original Pro)
Wii (Animal Crossing and Wii Fit system)
Dish Network 622
Bedroom.JPG

OfficeLeft.JPG

Wow, that took much longer to post than expected. The rooms aren't as crisp/clean as other GAFers, but honestly I think it's pretty good for a guy with a family!
how can someone..who makes obviously alot of money...have any time off from work to enjoy this stuff?

Minotauro said:

See, I can't relax in a cluttered room. Different strokes, I guess.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Minotauro said:

I like the clean modern look myself but agree with you about them looking cold. They seem so sterile that i can't imagine feeling comfortable in them at all. I'd personally want a balance between cool, modern look and the comfortable, home feel. Chittagong's place is kinda like it but not enough for me (still think its great though), i'd need carpet.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Threi said:

Threi, your set up always leaves me stitches. Every time it gets update, the walls are still bare as shit. I've come to the conclusion that you will never finish that place, you're just buying new shit to cover it up so no one will notice.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Minotauro said:

I appreciate the clean, modern look but am definitely a fan of foliage/wood, so I'm drawn to the places that look as if they'd fallen out of a bamboo forest/druid enclave than anything else.

The next place my wife and I rent will come with wood floors and allow all of our crazy bamboo inspired dreams to come true.

Tabris

NinjaFridge said:
I like the clean modern look myself but agree with you about them looking cold. They seem so sterile that i can't imagine feeling comfortable in them at all. I'd personally want a balance between cool, modern look and the comfortable, home feel. Chittagong's place is kinda like it but not enough for me (still think its great though), i'd need carpet.

Is mine a good mixture?

Google

Syntek said:
Thanks. The place is in Vancouver, just moved in recently. I like your setup a lot, so I'm actually trying to go for a similar design/color scheme. It's not a particularly spacious apt, but as others pointed out, the view helps a lot...as long as I keep the number of furniture pieces down to a minimum.

Edmonds?

You, Tabris and I live within 10KM of each other...

PSGames said:
I was thinking about doing this at first. What resolution is your projector?

720p. I honestly don't see a need to go 108p anytime soon. Everyone who sees it is impressed with the clarity. My friend had just bought a 1080p/24 sony set and ran out and bought the same pj I got when he saw mines. I'll never go back to a regular tv ever again.

Tabris

Google said:
Do you work in the area? I used to work on Gilmore and would have lunch everyday just next door to you...

I work closer to Buquitlam but yeah I'm on Madison, really close by to Gilmore. What restaurant did you eat at as I'm looking for a decent non-chain restaurant nearby.

It's weird I guessd he was in the Vancouver area (I actually thought he would be in the Metrotown area) as our apartment buildings have that Hong Kong inspired look. If you take a picture of downtown Vancouver skyline and Hong Kong skyline, they look very similar in a lot of ways.

VNZ

hiryu said:
Where did you get those chairs and what are they called?
Since no one answered this before: It's the "Barcelona Chair" designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and Lilly Reich in 1929. Knoll owns the rights to it now.

Threi

notag
Alfarif said:
Threi, your set up always leaves me stitches. Every time it gets update, the walls are still bare as shit. I've come to the conclusion that you will never finish that place, you're just buying new shit to cover it up so no one will notice.
:lol that is the plan.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Syntek said:

Only on GAF would the gaming chairs be in front of the fireplace! WE AIN'T NEED NO STINKIN FIREPLACE (i guess you could just turn them around but whatever).

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
bdizzle said:

do you find it hard to play Halo on a projection so large? Or does it just take some time to get used to. I played in a tournament on a projector and it was not fun to say the least.

Top Bottom