• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post your predictions about what will happen in the next 5-8 years in gaming

ronito

Let's put it out there. Post your predictions here. So that later when they're true you can point and say "I called it" or far more likely you can be shamed when you were wrong. And of course you can be called an idiot right now, no need to wait for that.

Mine:

- Xbox One will start behind PS4 and never really catch up. A kinect-less model will launch about a year after launch and that will help sales but not enough.

- There will be a gaming crash, but only on the iOS/Android gaming. With the cost of entry being so low the markets will get clogged with copycats and low quality games companies profit margins will continue to shrink and shrink. There will be a few break away fad titles (like Candy Crush Saga or whatever) but the smaller companies will get so good at copying these so quickly that the margin will be destroyed.

- The above "crash" will be a disaster for gaming companies that are heavily invested in that market. Square Enix, being one of those, combined with their inability to deliver software without skyrocketing costs will be forced to sell itself off in parts. Eidos will go to EA or some western house, Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest will go to Namco.

- Sega's quiet playing of cards in the background will pay off as they become a much stronger force in publishing as it grows through acquisitions.

- The 3DS will continue to grow in popularity and become a powerhouse in mobile gaming and will become the game of choice for jRPG fans

- Nintendo's WiiU will continue to limp along. Might be Nintendo's last full on console

- Nintendo might take their Wii U game pad idea and make a gaming tablet for Nintendo games. Perhaps there will be a Roku like connector to connect it to the TV but the gaming will happen on the tablet.

- Valve's SteamOS will be that final nail in Window's coffin that moves many of the younger generation to other OSes. With the younger generation out Windows brand continues its decline.

- Valve's steambox will do exactly what Valve does and cater to their base. There will be multiple SKUs and be expensive. It will be a "competitor" of the PS4 and Xbox One in a way, but it will not reshape the console market.and be a mass market competitor along side the PS4 and Xbox One. However, it will eat away at the market plays both consoles and PC games as many will leave consoles to the SteamBox.

- Bioware's next game will start off with a "tutorial level" that walks you through the basics of the game then lets you "explore" the world via a hub.

- Final Fantasy XV will be very action heavy, so much so that many will leave it. Further the story will be non-sensical but it will be so pretty that most will overlook it. Further there will not be a FFXVI next generation. Square Enix will do what they did with FFXIII and make a single flagship with several sequels. Instead of doing this as an after thought like with FFXIII it'll be their mission from the get go as such some of the games will feel "unfinished"

- Microsoft will create gaming apps that connect between the Xbox One and windows phones. Windows phones grow in popularity amongst dudebros.

- The next gen will be more about "gaming as a service" than actual hardware.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Final Fantasy XV is going to be one of the games of the gen. Everyone will gush about it and preface their praises with: "As someone that hated FFXIII...".

Half-Life 3 and Portal 3 are going to be crossovers.

Uncharted 4-6 (not all by Naughty Dog).

PS4 will outsell the XBone.

There will be a gaming crash, but only on the iOS/Android gaming.

This happened long ago. People scoff at anything over $0.99 regardless of quality and the bulk of titles have to be given away for free in order to get people interested. If that's not a crash, I don't know what is.

StuBurns

Banned
Half-Life 3, The Last Guardian, and Final Fantasy XV will all release in the next couple of years, and all be incredible.

Sony will outsell MS worldwide two to one.

Nintendo will replace the 3DS with a hybrid platform available in both handheld and console form, they will never release another home console.

SteamMachine didn't do shit.

ronito

This happened long ago. People scoff at anything over $0.99 regardless of quality and the bulk of titles have to be given away for free in order to get people interested. If that's not a crash, I don't know what is.

You know this. I know this. Companies don't know this yet.

I have no clue, but I am excited to find out. I am convinced Nintendo's next system will finally bridge their handheld and console business with a device that offers both. A single device in the $300-$400 price range that has a built in screen and can be played anywhere and then docked at home to play on the big screen. By that time good screens will be cost effective and silicon will be as well so the fidelity should be there to make this work. They would be the first of the big three to do so, and could recapture some of the Wii crowd they lost.

apana

All three will eventually release another console and Nintendo will make another handheld, no hybrid devices. The end.

Qassim

Microsoft will start off behind and then mount a Sony-PS3 style recovery and focus on good first party exclusive games to just about pull ahead in WW sales.

Annubis

Consoles won't exist anymore and gaming will be back to physical toys that do not run on electricity as the world will face a dire energy crisis due to WW3 destroying most of the big countries' infrastructure.

Sorian

Banned
Microsoft will start off behind and then mount a Sony-PS3 style recovery and focus on good first party exclusive games to just about pull ahead in WW sales.

MS isn't capable of being ahead in worldwide sales. They've abandoned a majority of the world

Draft

Sony will dominate the game console market but that market will be smaller than either the PS2 or Xbox 360/Wii eras. The dedicated game console is going to become niche.

A lot of game development, even from large publishers, is going to be focused on browser games, games built on universal platforms that works on most PCs and game consoles, and mobile development.

A game is going to cost $500mm between dev and ad buy and it will bomb. This will be a fundamental moment in game development. A lot of big boys will decide the traditional AAA market is closed to them and move in a different direction.

DD is going to be the primary way of receiving software by the end of the generation. A bunch of posters here will sob into their Uncharted 4 Collector's Edition limited edition Drake themed stained henley t-shirt. They will run their hands gently along the spines of a couple hundred game cases displayed embarrassingly in their living room. They will open one at random and inside will be a little card alerting them to the next Battlefield game being released this Holiday season. They will sob uncontrollably. Everyone else is much happier because they don't have to buy games from pawn shops anymore.

SteamOS will be far more impactful than Steam Machines.

A lot of the money that used to fund things like billion dollar sales for Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto is going to be spent on games released via Apple/Amazon/Other retailer specific low spec consoles.

MS will pivot towards being one of those consoles by the end of the generation. If there is another Xbox it will be a gaming Roku.

Sony will outsell MS 2 to 1 worldwide, 4:3 in the US at least

Naughtydog will release a new IP, Uncharted 4 and maybe TLOU 2

Some of its IPs may get reworked/continued by other Sony teams, not as good

MS will release a kinectless SKU after Titanfall hits and boosts sales but not as much as it would have earlier

Wii U builds a userbase slightly less than that of the GC, decent game offerings will come but nothing game changing

PC gaming will still thrive but will always be the expensive end of the spectrum

More hardcore and maybe some softcore will get into PCs with steamos and boxes but will do little to truly eat into the consoles market

Next console gen will be the last, power increase will be even smaller then this transition

Cyrano

The only time you'll buy a physical disc in Europe,America and Japan will be if you want a special limited edition pack.
I would be fine with this if the average cost of a game went down to $40 for digital downloads, maybe less if there really is a move to limited edition only.

I also want DLC to die a horrible death, but I know it's here to stay.

Sealion88

Next gen pokemon is released on the Wii U and game pad is used as a pokedex.

Sony Japan will finally develop an JRPG that will surpass Final fantasy

QuartKat

Banned
Let's put it out there. Post your predictions here. So that later when they're true you can point and say "I called it" or far more likely you can be shamed when you were wrong. And of course you can be called an idiot right now, no need to wait for that.

Mine:

- Xbox One will start behind PS4 and never really catch up. A kinect-less model will launch about a year after launch and that will help sales but not enough.

- There will be a gaming crash, but only on the iOS/Android gaming. With the cost of entry being so low the markets will get clogged with copycats and low quality games companies profit margins will continue to shrink and shrink. There will be a few break away fad titles (like Candy Crush Saga or whatever) but the smaller companies will get so good at copying these so quickly that the margin will be destroyed.

- The above "crash" will be a disaster for gaming companies that are heavily invested in that market. Square Enix, being one of those, combined with their inability to deliver software without skyrocketing costs will be forced to sell itself off in parts. Eidos will go to EA or some western house, Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest will go to Namco.

- Sega's quiet playing of cards in the background will pay off as they become a much stronger force in publishing as it grows through acquisitions.

- The 3DS will continue to grow in popularity and become a powerhouse in mobile gaming and will become the game of choice for jRPG fans

- Nintendo's WiiU will continue to limp along. Might be Nintendo's last full on console

- Nintendo might take their Wii U game pad idea and make a gaming tablet for Nintendo games. Perhaps there will be a Roku like connector to connect it to the TV but the gaming will happen on the tablet.

- Valve's SteamOS will be that final nail in Window's coffin that moves many of the younger generation to other OSes. With the younger generation out Windows brand continues its decline.

- Valve's steambox will do exactly what Valve does and cater to their base. There will be multiple SKUs and be expensive. It will be a "competitor" of the PS4 and Xbox One in a way, but it will not reshape the console market.and be a mass market competitor along side the PS4 and Xbox One. However, it will eat away at the market plays both consoles and PC games as many will leave consoles to the SteamBox.

- Bioware's next game will start off with a "tutorial level" that walks you through the basics of the game then lets you "explore" the world via a hub.

- Final Fantasy XV will be very action heavy, so much so that many will leave it. Further the story will be non-sensical but it will be so pretty that most will overlook it. Further there will not be a FFXVI next generation. Square Enix will do what they did with FFXIII and make a single flagship with several sequels. Instead of doing this as an after thought like with FFXIII it'll be their mission from the get go as such some of the games will feel "unfinished"

- Microsoft will create gaming apps that connect between the Xbox One and windows phones. Windows phones grow in popularity amongst dudebros.

I have a crazy track record or predicting videogaming outcomes. Predicted everything that has happened this gen. Even predicited Wii-U would be D.O.A by the time XB1/PS4 launches. But enough about the past, this thread is about the future.

Xbox One will dominate. They will have more systems this fall, then once people see how COOL kinect is, those numbers will only continue to climb. 2013 is a given.
2014 has Titanfall, Sunset Overdrive, Spark, Fable, Halo 5, Killer Instinct Season 2
How can PS4 compete with that? Infamous and insert hopeful game here? Riiiight
So by 2015 I expect it to be lopsided in XB1's favor. But Microsoft needs to get that price down asap because the only reason they didn't make sony abandon the PS3 is because Microsoft was unwilling to drop the price on the 360.

PS4 I expect the hardcore to adopt it first. But like the PS3, games will be scarce the first two years. The features it lacks compared to its rival will be the story, and I actually don't even think sony will make it to the end of this race. There will be no systems next gen, and I see sony making a move like that before the year 2020

Wii-U has a new super mario game that looks awesome. And I'm a huge fan of the Wii
But I have no desire for Wii games because they are now low end ports of Xbox/PS3 games
The Wii at least had a bunch of titles made specifically for it. Developers can just keep shoveling crappy ports with the Wii-U so I expect that system to die off by no later than 2016. 2015 most likely. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not (unless they got a ton of new IP's they haven't mentioned

Steambox if its upgradable? Could rule them all if done right. But gamers are stubborn, console loyalty will probably make Steambox not as successful. IF it had an xbox or PS logo on it, it would have won this gen. Now it wont...

Feindflug

• PS4 will dominate in sales overall and Xbone will do much worse than the 360 in both the US and Europe
  • Mid range budget titles will disappear from the retail model and will go the downloadable route
  • AAA games will get even more homogenized with even more automated and simple mechanics
  • Japan will be even more confused with a lot of titles not based on their strengths but instead they will try to imitate the big western successful AAA franchises
  • MS will launch a new console at 2017

-PS4 outsells xbone but just by a small fraction.

- Nintendo will release handheld with vita-like graphics, same size as 3dsxl.

-Naughty Dog will continue to release graphically stunning games every other year.

-Grand Theft auto VI will be available on PC and will have a bit of a MMO touch to it.

-Call of Duty franchise will become Xbox exclusive and raise sale prices of xbone.

-No kinect within a year of xbone release, $150 price drop.

-Possible nuclear warfare amongst nations and within 1000 years, we will have a Candy Kingdom.

fantomena

- Sony will beat Microsoft 2:1 worldwide.
- Microsoft launches a Kinect-less SKU, but doesn't boost the sales enough.
- Half-Life 3 announces with a bang at Sony E3 conference in 2015, releases on PS4, Xbone, Windows, SteamOS and Mac.
- The Last Guardian releases november 2014 after being reannounced on that years E3.
- Shenmue 3, only on PS4 and Wii U, Microsoft don't believe in it, so no Xbone version, 2016 release date after a rollercoaster development.
- SteamOS get's really big due to devs and pubs big push for it.
- TitanFall releases on PS4 early 2015.
- Demon's Souls 2 announcement, PS4 exclusive.

Microsoft: Xbone, as it is right now, will fail, period. They may try again with a more streamlined console or, more likely, try instead competing with the Steam Box line with their own home theater friendly PCs.

Sony: The PS4 will be successful enough to last for about 5 years, but will only reach a point of market share that matches roughly what the PS3 has gained in it's first 8 years. Knowing Sony, they will just try releasing a PS5 that doesn't add anything new besides a faster CPU and more RAM to a market that keeps shrinking.

Nintendo: Un-fucking-predictable. Another console? A hybrid? Something we haven't even considered? Who knows with them. I will say this though; Wii U failing won't be the end of them. They will press on, and likely reach new highs, and lows, all the way. .

iOS/Android: Will continue to thrive among people with unrefined gaming tastes. The wasteland created by unregulated game developement and publishing will only get worse as time goes on.

Hmmmmm ...

1.) Steam Machines are a good hit. Selling 3-5m a year in the US. Living room PC gaming is finally a reality.

2.) Due to #1, Linux gaming explodes. Atleast 50% of all released games can be found and played within the Linux OS. AMD and Nvidia release much, much better drivers for the linux OS environment

3.) PS4 sells 100,000,000 faster then any other Playstation product in history. \

4.) Demon's Souls 2 wins GOTY 2016

5.) Nintendo stays in handheld market, but becomes a 2nd party software developer working with Sony. Naughty Dog and Nintendo collaborate to make a 3D action adventure platformer, mixing Crash Bandicoot's more teen oriented flash and attitude, with Mario's classic, perfected platforming. Sony Japan / Nintendo / Square-Enix collaborate to create Super Mario Kingdom. Kingdom Hearts gameplay inspired Super Mario RPG with the artists from Shadow of the Colossus / The Last Guardian involved also

6.) Playstation products will slowly begin to trickle into the PC space. Valve and Sony collaborate. Half Life 3 goes to the Playstation brand. Uncharted, God of War enter the Steam space. Valve / Sony begin long standing relationship.

7.) Star Citizen releases for PS4 Q1 2016

8.) Mistwalker / Level 5 Collaborate to make epic RPG for PS4

9.) PS4 outsales X1 3:1 in the beginning, moving to 4 and 5:1 later in lifespans. Overalls. 55,000,000 for X1, 160,000,000 for PS4.

10.) Due to PS4, Vita begins selling very well, developer support rises. MH series enters Vita space. Earth explodes.

Hey! A man can dream right? lol

Enectic

Banned
Next generation consoles will not have optical drives. All software will be distributed digitally and/or through the cloud.

I have a crazy track record or predicting videogaming outcomes. Predicted everything that has happened this gen. Even predicited Wii-U would be D.O.A by the time XB1/PS4 launches. But enough about the past, this thread is about the future.

Xbox One will dominate. They will have more systems this fall, then once people see how COOL kinect is, those numbers will only continue to climb. 2013 is a given.
2014 has Titanfall, Sunset Overdrive, Spark, Fable, Halo 5, Killer Instinct Season 2
So by 2015 I expect it to be lopsided in XB1's favor. But Microsoft needs to get that price down asap because the only reason they didn't make sony abandon the PS3 is because Microsoft was unwilling to drop the price on the 360.

PS4 I expect the hardcore to adopt it first. But like the PS3, games will be scarce the first two years. The features it lacks compared to its rival will be the story, and I actually don't even think sony will make it to the end of this race. There will be no systems next gen, and I see sony making a move like that before the year 2020

Wii-U has a new super mario game that looks awesome. And I'm a huge fan of the Wii
But I have no desire for Wii games because they are now low end ports of Xbox/PS3 games
The Wii at least had a bunch of titles made specifically for it. Developers can just keep shoveling crappy ports with the Wii-U so I expect that system to die off by no later than 2016. 2015 most likely. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not (unless they got a ton of new IP's they haven't mentioned

Steambox if its upgradable? Could rule them all if done right. But gamers are stubborn, console loyalty will probably make Steambox not as successful. IF it had an xbox or PS logo on it, it would have won this gen. Now it wont...

oh man....get ready, bro

881.gif

- Half-Life 3 announces with a bang at Sony E3 conference in 2015, releases on PS4, Xbone, Windows, SteamOS and Mac.
- The Last Guardian releases november 2014 after being reannounced on that years E3.
- Shenmue 3, only on PS4 and Wii U, Microsoft don't believe in it, so no Xbone version, 2016 release date after a rollercoaster development.
- SteamOS get's really big due to devs and pubs big push for it.

You're pretty disconnected with the games industry.

Are you suggesting XB1 will win worldwide considering it's limited launch and the history of Xbox's global marketshare?

Duxxy3

Sony dominates and we return to the glory days of the PS2 era

Nintendo quietly sells 25 million Wii U's

Microsoft does well enough in North America to not close up shop. Late in the generation microsoft finally makes a deal with cable companies to replace cable boxes with custom xbox ones.

Destiny is the biggest hit of the entire generation

Successor to 3DS is shown in 2015, Sony does not make a successor to the vita

PC gaming shrinks until 2016 when it returns to current levels, the same time Half Life 3 is released

World of Warcraft shrinks to less than 2 million subscribers and future development is cancelled

sestrugen

Market share predictions

PS4 - 50
Xbox - 40
Wii U - 10

Steam OS will fail but it will enable Linux to become more prominent in the desktop market.

APU style chips to become mainstream, they already have most of the computing power needed for most office tasks and for the most popular games to run on them

PC Gaming will move over to the F2P model

Kimawolf

Nintendo-

Wii U will eek out 40 million or so sales when it's all said and done, Wii U will be called a failure and rightly so. Nintendo, under a new strategy will release something that once more tries to be revolutionary. May see a cheap version of OR implemented as well as something like Haptic feedback.

Handheld- 3DS will continue to dominate even as Western developers ignore it/act like it doesn't exist. Nintendo will partner with some phone company to release a sku of their next handheld with phone functionality. I'm thinking Samsung or LG. They will also allow browser/Android based games on their handheld.

Software- Finally begin to see the fruits of all their recent moves in the indie space/software development combining come to fruition as next handheld games will be playable on next console from the start.

Sony

The PS4 will once more follow the path of PS3 as the hardcore gamer's system and it'll sell around 60 million but fail to sell much more. will be tried to be spun as a "Success" by some pundits even if most of the games save for yearly sequels will not hit a million. Sony will re-evaluate their gaming business and change focuse to a "wii like" strategy next generation.

Handheld- Will quietly be discontinued in 3 years with no sucessor as Sony will focus on Android gaming space.

Software: They will go the MS route and begin closing their First parties as they begin selling less games. Sony will have to re-evaluate and also hope their "Wii" like system catches on.

MS

Will actually sell on par with Sony but be deemed a failure because it failed to meet expectations. will see even more talk of "selling off" the Xbox brand until someone finally does it. Will be their last real entry in the "dedicated game console" space, will perhaps trying something software/server oriented next go round.

Major parties

Will continue to ignore handhelds, jump on either the Mobile Phone ship SS Titanic and crash with it, or the Hindenberg Next Gen ship and go down in flames as games begin not meeting expectations. We'll see one major "yearly release" actually bomb ala Guitar Hero and take the genre with it, destroying the 3rd party. EA will go bankrupt and have to sell off their studios/IPs, Capcom will get close, but survive, and SE will most likely join EA, but due to their mobile gaming obsession.

Gamers

will be forced to pay for episodic content costing around 19 dollars and people will defend it/also defend "lazy developers" broken games, until the system comes crashing down around them.

Eliciel

Mine:

The problem with this is that all of this is just a foreshadowed past. There is nothing special or exceptionell. It's like asking what will happen with the population on earth till 2050 and you just calculate with the as is percentage increase without leaving space for new developments or a chance of changes.

I guess I personally just can't answer to your question, because I find it hard-to-impossible to forecast were we are going with this generation. I'm just going to let loose of my prejudices about game series etc. and just play the games I'm most interested in. I'm giving Final Fantasy a new chance to come back on the PS4/XBone and show me what it's made of.

FourMyle

PS4 = Takes over in WW and overall sales for the generation
XBO = Does well in the US but sells a lot less overall than the PS4
Wii U = Discontinued by Q4 2015
3DS = Continues to sell well but never gets anything close to DS numbers. The next handheld in line will be the same but with 3DS sales representing the numbers it will get nowhere near
PC = Continues to be an irrelevant platform for everything that isn't MMO/Strategy and continues to get gets shitty and late ports

I don't understand where this "PS4 is gonna be called a failure" sales wise talk is coming from. Haven't preorders been exceedingly well?

Top Bottom