• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post your tattoos

I'm another guy that is extremely picky with what I get tatted on my skin.

I want to get a warriors totem on my back. Have something where I have a Viking, Samurai, and athena helmets stacked on each other, with athena's owl perched on top with outstretched wings. I think it has potential to be dope, Just have to find an artist with the talent to pull it off.

onesvenus

I've read this thread many times since it was created and now that I've my own tattoo I didn't think about uploading a photo here so here it goes!
1911792_447532148705863_1390612206_n.jpg

Those are the two last verses from William Ernest Henley's Invictus Poem.
It has a very deep meaning for me and after some time thinking which kind of tattoo would be my first one I reread the poem and it kind of struck me.
I'm very pleased with the results.

Izcarielo

Banned
m14aO5E.jpg

I already posted in on a Bioshock thread, but im going to post it also here so you guys can see it.
Subject Delta from Bioshock 2. WIP.

This is great work. Who is your artist?

Man, haven't been in here in awhile. Sorry I never saw your post. My artist is a guy named Alan Thompson who is one of the owners of a shop called Trader Bob's in St. Louis.

Also, while I'm here, the top part is totally finished with the constellations and mountain sunset/moonrise. I think it turned out beautifully. (I apologize for my fat, hairy chest)

imagejpg1.jpg

imagejpg2.jpg

imagejpg3.jpg

imagejpg4.jpg

tattoo question!! Do tattoos scab?? cause iv heard different people say different things...
"yes they scab, mine did"

"WHAT, it shouldnt scab.. mine didnt"

if they do... how long should it scab??

Coda

tattoo question!! Do tattoos scab?? cause iv heard different people say different things...

I think it somewhat depends on how sensitive your skin is. As long as you take the proper after tattoo care the tattoo will just flake off that almost looks like wet paper and it will come off in the shower usually after a couple weeks.

This was my most recent tattoo, artwork was done by Ashley Wood is does some amazing stuff, especially for Metal Gear Solid.

Original:
ashleywoodtattoo_zpse1747b66.jpg

Finished piece (as of right now):
10251474_733315446706483_121949367_n.jpg

Gritesh

Depends on your skin and how much "weight" your artist has in their wrist.

I have a strict post tattoo ritual that I follow and I have never had scabbing.

GavinUK86

photo_zps02b9bceb.jpg

I have an immense love to everything Platinum Games and I wanted a simple tattoo so I just got their logo on my wrist. I love it, so clean and simple.

i love the simplicity of it.

oh hi btw everyone! i don't venture out of gaming gaf very often... i never even knew there was a tattoo thread!

i can see myself spending a lot of time here.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Stolen from another thread

mine's the Navi one, over my left collar bone, Lucian Cat got Tael. I like OOT more, she's a Majora fan, so it works fine :)

Both are all kinds of new and bright and swollen on the pic, they should pop less and look more natural after a few weeks.

waxer

Finally got around to filling in eye. Happy with how its going. Got to decide if I continue work down arm or start chest.
QxHQK6v.jpg

XFLSEeU.jpg

ekim

Going to get my first tattoo ever in 2 weeks, covering the whole right arm sleeve. Doing this in 1 session. How much on the pain scale is it going to be?

Wow, jumping in with both feet huh? It is unusual for a whole sleeve to be done in one sitting. This makes me wonder about the artist you selected as a good one will be up front and tell you that it will take time.
As for pain, I have not had work done on my arm just my leg. But I hear the inside of the arm if very sensitive. I guess it comes down to your own pain threshold. My tolerance is pretty high and I almost fell asleep during mine. It was peaceful, but later in the session as he was doing some filling in, it was hard but bearable.

Bumhead

Banned
Going to get my first tattoo ever in 2 weeks, covering the whole right arm sleeve. Doing this in 1 session. How much on the pain scale is it going to be?

I have one on each outer arm. They were absolutely fine. I actually found having them done therapeutic. But it depends on your own threshold.

I hear the inner arm is quite a bit more sensitive. To be honest with tattoo's I think the best thing to do is to just accept it's going to hurt, and try not to worry too much about trying to guess by how much. You can worry too much about these things. A good tattoo will be worth it as soon as the artist takes the needle off.

If you're having a whole sleeve in one sitting, your biggest issue will be time. I don't think your artist will mind if you take some music and earphones in with you. You might need the distractions if you're sat there for anything upto 7-8 hours.

waxer

Im already 4 sessions/days into my arm as an example of time vs complexity. The inner arm is sensitive depending on speed vs technique. Certain filling task with the multihead needle scrapping along fast were really sore so I got a dose of numbing spray. On rest of arm I almost fall asleep as well aft first 20mins over and sense of pain wears off. The difference id say with inner arm is its like the pain is layering up as you go slowly getting worse like a burn getting hotter.
As others said just dont think of it and once needle stops so does the pain mostly.

y2dvd

Lots of amazing tattoos. I love the owl one especially by waxer.

I'm looking through as many wolf pics as possible. I'm eyeing this one out in particular.
wkW1LhS.jpg

HowZatOZ

Banned
Here are my three so far! Dragon was the first one I got upon turning 18, second was piranha and third is the piece of shoulder armour. I was planning to get the armour piece extended onto a chest covering but I fear that has been abandoned now due to the cost, and I'd prefer something else for my chest.

hey gaf. got my first tattoo. went for something simple with a quote that really stuck in my head for sometime. what do you guys think? it's on my bicep.

the tattoo is still really new (got it yesterday) so it's scabbing a little (mostly on the w and n letters) as i took this pic:

fAk0hYUl.jpg

MiP6App.png

Just got this half-sleeve on Saturday. My artsy-fartsy theme for it would be how nature will always be in control of man. Death is also a theme I guess. Not the happiest tattoo! Some people have said that he looks like he's going to bust a nut, so I have that going for me lol

MiP6App.png

Just got this half-sleeve on Saturday. My artsy-fartsy theme for it would be how nature will always be in control of man. Death is also a theme I guess. Not the happiest tattoo! Some people have said that he looks like he's going to bust a nut, so I have that going for me lol

Not sure I'd call that a half sleeve, but nonetheless it looks great, I really like the style

torontoml

So I want to get my first tattoo probably my only one. My concern is getting someone that can do it well. I'll be travelling to Edmonton Alberta to get it done as apparently they overcharge significantly up here. A friend suggested a shop and they review well on Google.

I want to get my family crest:
http://i.imgur.com/ZU2uRqP.jpg

Disregard the yellow background and replace the red interior with the family Tartan:
http://i.imgur.com/A8LrsLA.jpg

I contacted the shop and after providing them with the reference images, they suggested one of their artists. They said he has done similar tattoos before but his portfolio doesn't really show a glimpse at something similar.

This is a link to their suggested artists portfolio:
http://www.dmtattooedmonton.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15&Itemid=15

Should I contact other well reviewed shops to see what they say? Edmonton is like a 4-5 hour drive so I can't just go talk in person.

Gritesh

So I want to get my first tattoo probably my only one. My concern is getting someone that can do it well. I'll be travelling to Edmonton Alberta to get it done as apparently they overcharge significantly up here. A friend suggested a shop and they review well on Google.

I want to get my family crest:
http://i.imgur.com/ZU2uRqP.jpg

Disregard the yellow background and replace the red interior with the family Tartan:
http://i.imgur.com/A8LrsLA.jpg

I contacted the shop and after providing them with the reference images, they suggested one of their artists. They said he has done similar tattoos before but his portfolio doesn't really show a glimpse at something similar.

This is a link to their suggested artists portfolio:
http://www.dmtattooedmonton.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15&Itemid=15

Should I contact other well reviewed shops to see what they say? Edmonton is like a 4-5 hour drive so I can't just go talk in person.

I live in Edmonton and know quite a few of the artists around here. All my work has been done locally but to be honest I have never heard of the shop you are looking at getting yours done at.

I personally recommend either Crimson Empire or Atomic Zombie for reputable artists who do good work.

Best of luck man!

Coda

My new addition...

I love the design of the Kafka weapon in Bayonetta 2. I found this concept art and decided it'd make a killer tattoo.

Original concept art:
WUPP_AQU_wpon02-Kafka_1_R_ad.jpg

The tattoo artist did an amazing job.

IMG_2438_zps66b15120.jpg

IMG_2439_zps868e0dff.jpg

IMG_2545_zpsd6ad8eef.jpg

torontoml

I live in Edmonton and know quite a few of the artists around here. All my work has been done locally but to be honest I have never heard of the shop you are looking at getting yours done at.

I personally recommend either Crimson Empire or Atomic Zombie for reputable artists who do good work.

Best of luck man!
Cool thanks man, I'll look into them.

torontoml

Best of luck man!
So I set up a consultation with crimson empire, after looking at my pictures they are recommending Greg, know him? I looked at his gallery on their site, he must be fairly new as his collection is nowhere near as extensive as the others on their site.

There are a couple that look good, like the portraits, but maybe it's my limited knowledge the others seem relatively simple compared to their other artists.

Maybe mine isn't very complicated, I thought it seemed relatively detailed. I just want it to turn out well. It's the only one I want so I want it to turn out great.

Anything I should mention when I go for the consultation?

Gritesh

So I set up a consultation with crimson empire, after looking at my pictures they are recommending Greg, know him? I looked at his gallery on their site, he must be fairly new as his collection is nowhere near as extensive as the others on their site.

There are a couple that look good, like the portraits, but maybe it's my limited knowledge the others seem relatively simple compared to their other artists.

Maybe mine isn't very complicated, I thought it seemed relatively detailed. I just want it to turn out well. It's the only one I want so I want it to turn out great.

Anything I should mention when I go for the consultation?

Crimson Empire will take good care of you, it's one of if not the best shop in the city.

Just be specific on what you want, listen to the artists opinion and offer feedback, work with your artist to get exactly what you want and then go for it.

Sorry it is your first tattoo.

Just mention this to your artist, bring some gatorade or drinks and maybe a snack your going to want to keep hydrated.

Don't sweat it, its not that bad, and then stinging goes away after a while.

10724205_622687361194334_200897937_n.jpg

Don't have many pictures of my tattoos. This was my 12th tattoo and by far the sorest one. It also swelled up so much over the next few days afterwards.

torontoml

So the shop said all I really needed to do for aftercare was put something like lubiderm on it once it starts scabing. Should I have anything on it now? Or just try to wear loose clothing so it can breathe?

So the shop said all I really needed to do for aftercare was put something like lubiderm on it once it starts scabing. Should I have anything on it now? Or just try to wear loose clothing so it can breathe?

I use bepanthen on my tattoos. I usually keep the tattoo uncovered from clothes so it can breathe and use that cream so it doesn't dry out. I'd do this for about 2 weeks after the tattoo.

Gritesh

Dont wait for it to start scabing, start using lotion on the second day after you take the bandage off. Unscented all natural moisturizing lotion only.

I don't know why the hell they would tell you to wait for it to start scabing, you want to avoid scabing as it can draw out some of the ink and the healing process that occurs underneath the scab will have a chance to leave the tattoo blochy..

I always let mine air out for one day, wash it consistently cause it is an open wound. Then I follow up with lotion at least twice a day for as long as it takes to completely heal. Never had scabing or issues with healing.

Good luck

Top Bottom