• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Poverty, Politics and Profit': Frontline and NPR investigate affordable housing.

KHEU1Uj.jpg

Official 'Poverty, Politics and Profit' Site <= watch online here or at PBS.org

Youtube Links
Promo (0:32)

Clip: "The Affordable Housing Crisis: More Demand, Less Supply" (4:32)

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/a...e-housing-crisis-more-demand-but-less-supply/

More and more Americans are struggling to make rent. Each year, an estimated 2.5 million people across the country are evicted.

Today, in a joint investigation called Poverty, Politics and Profit, FRONTLINE and NPR join forces to examine the crisis in affordable housing, exploring why so few people are getting the help they need, and whether government programs designed to aid low-income Americans with rent are working as they should.

One of those programs, called the low-income housing tax credit, relies on partnerships between the federal government and the private sector. The IRS gives billions in tax credits to the states, who then award the credits to developers. The developers sell them for cash to investors, mostly banks, and then use that money to help build apartment buildings. And because taxpayer money pays for most of it, they can charge the lower rents required.

The program, which has cost about $8 billion annually in recent years, is often described by supporters as a win-win: Low-income people get quality affordable housing and the private sector makes money. But in Poverty, Politics, and Profit, NPR and FRONTLINE crunch the numbers &#8212; and find that the program is costing taxpayers more in tax credits, but producing fewer units.

In the above excerpt from tonight's documentary, produced by FRONTLINE's Rick Young and his team, follow Laura Sullivan of NPR as she tries to find out why.

Then for more on the story, listen to All Things Considered today and watch FRONTLINE tonight. From exploring why those who receive Section 8 vouchers often struggle to find housing, to examining charges that developers have stolen money meant to house low-income people, to delving into the legacy of segregation in government housing programs, Poverty, Politics and Profit is a probing exploration of a system in crisis.

Watch Poverty, Politics and Profit starting Tuesday, May 9 at 10 p.m. EST/9 p.m. CST on FRONTLINE (check local PBS listings), and listen May 9 on NPR's All Things Considered.
http://www.npr.org/2017/05/09/527046451/affordable-housing-program-costs-more-shelters-less

On the south side of Dallas, Nena Eldridge lives in a sparse but spotless bungalow on a dusty lot. At $550 each month, her rent is just about the cheapest she could find in the city.

After an injury left her unable to work, the only income she receives is a $780 monthly disability check. So she has to make tough financial choices, like living without running water.

Every day, she fills bottles with water from a neighbor's house and takes them home. She washes her hands with water heated in an electric slow cooker. She uses a bucket to flush the toilet.

"I'm tired, but I don't have nowhere to go and I don't have enough money to do it," she says, fighting back tears. But she adds, "I'm not living on the streets. I'm not homeless."

Eldridge is among the 11 million people nationwide making these kinds of choices every day. The government calls them "severely rent burdened" &#8212; people paying more than half their income in rent.

Thirty years ago, Eldridge was the type of person Congress sought to help when it created the low-income housing tax credit program, which is now the government's primary program to build housing for the poor.

But the tax-credit building that's only a little more than 2 miles from Eldridge's house, where she might pay as little as $200 or $300 in rent based on her income, has a waiting list up to four years long. In Dallas and nationwide, many of these buildings don't have any vacancies.

In a joint investigation, NPR &#8212; together with the PBS series Frontline &#8212; found that with little federal oversight, LIHTC has produced fewer units than it did 20 years ago, even though it's costing taxpayers 66 percent more in tax credits.
Much MUCH more at the links. The episode is airing right now on the east coast, and can be watched online as well.

sfedai0

Banned
Definitely watching this, but I imagine a lot of it is kickbacks and corruption. Sad but when programs that involve goverment subsidies always go down that route.

WedgeX

Banned
WHAT THE FUCK is with this lady?

"Poor people look at me and want a place to live and an education! I don't look at millionaires and want their yachts!"

Oof.
Watching people twist themselves trying to explain why they wouldn't want any affordable housing near them without sounding like assholes is hard to watch.

Also
e9WTBpO.gif

Fuckin' more McKinney, TX shenanigans

Izayoi

Banned
This is hard to watch, to be completely honest.

It strikes very close to home, living in Seattle. These are the kinds of things I hear about from patients on a daily basis...

What a fucking shame this whole mess is. We should be embarrassed as a society...

WedgeX

Banned
This is hard to watch, to be completely honest.

It strikes very close to home, living in Seattle. These are the kinds of things I hear about from patients on a daily basis...

What a fucking shame this whole mess is. We should be embarrassed as a society...

We really ought to be.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Caught a bit of this story on NPR earlier.

Shameful. Too many people in the private sector leeching tax payer money.

The answer of course is to put more eyes on the issue but instead we'll get calls to eliminate the whole damn program because fuck accountability is too hard.

Gallbaro

Banned
I'll catch this later but are they actually covering the local issues that are the actual cause of the housing shortage.

Or are they targeting the "waste/corruption strawman.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Watching this right now. I'm 15 minutes into it and the journalist is speaking with a homeowner who's voicing her complaints about the section 8 housing being built not far from her. To paraphrase, she said she doesn't approve of it because "the people that will live there are single mothers, people who are trying to keep their head above water, people who are of a different class than us. But I don't mean that in a bad way! They definitely have a different mindset that they deserve more than they're given. I don't look at multi-millionaires and say, 'why can't I have that yacht?' It's definitely a concern."

Oh fuck me.

Watching this right now. I'm 15 minutes into it and the journalist is speaking with a homeowner who's voicing her complaints about the section 8 housing being built not far from her. To paraphrase, she said she doesn't approve of it because "the people that will live there are single mothers, people who are trying to keep their head above water, people who are of a different class than us. But I don't mean that in a bad way! They definitely have a different mindset that they deserve more than they're given. I don't look at multi-millionaires and say, 'why can't I have that yacht?' It's definitely a concern."

Oh fuck me.

She realizes that what she is saying is complete bullshit… But then she continues to say it anyway. Amazing.

Top Bottom