• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Power Drive 2000 Kickstarter. the Blood Dragon start screen with talking 80s Car.

Irobot82

Hah, this kickstarter has shown me I have a love for 80's synth pop. I just bought all the albums of Dance with the Dead off bandcamp, this guy is freaking amazing!

Firebrand

Apparantely chromed logo + curved grids + pink is people's idea of what the 80s looked like. Reminds me of this PBF.

That said, it does look pretty cool, hope it plays well.

I love the visuals. Looks like a cross between Lotus Turbo Challenge and Tron. But reading that makes me realise how much I dislike the layout of Kickstarter. The first details of any game I want to see are what platforms is it coming to (because with any game that looks interesting I tend to go in and look if it's coming to PS4 or Vita), a summary about the game and probably stretch goals. But the page is always so filled up with loads of information and just looks like a mess.

JoseJX

I backed this today, it looks great! I wish it had a little more support though, I'm worried it won't make it to the finish line.

Damn, this looks pretty cool. The motion blur and the reflection of the car's backfires on the road look very sleek.

Also, nice choice of car. It's basically like if KITT was a Vector W8:
vec92jd04.JPG

Neff

I just found out about this, and I think it looks very interesting, but they really should have shown some racing against other cars, even if they're only indirectly suggesting that it's on the cards. As it is, this pitch looks kind of lonely and distinctly solo indie racer-y. I get Race the Sun vibes from it, which I hated.

Apparantely chromed logo + curved grids + pink is people's idea of what the 80s looked like.

Agreed. It seems that whenever someone parodies the '80s these days, they get as far as Tron, Miami Vice or Scarface and leave it at that.

border

I really want this to get backed, but yeah they really aren't putting enough effort into it. No updates since the 12th.

Why is this kickstarter flatlining, such a shame. If I did a kickstarter I would add an update every day.

I didn't even know this was my dream game until I saw it. Indeed a Vector W8 driving through eighties 3D animations with awesome eighties synthesizer music and bits of knightrider.

Why is this kickstarter flatlining, such a shame. If I did a kickstarter I would add an update every day.

I didn't even know this was my dream game until I saw it. Indeed a Vector W8 driving through eighties 3D animations with awesome eighties synthesizer music and bits of knightrider.
It may have to do with the fact that it's a one man "army" making this game, which seems to work for developing it, but I do think he needs to work with his friends or fans to spread the world and at least post more updates.

EDIT - Look what he posted on twitter 2 days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWnXQL3B4KY Looks fantastic!

It may have to do with the fact that it's a one man "army" making this game, which seems to work for developing it, but I do think he needs to work with his friends or fans to spread the world and at least post more updates.

EDIT - Look what he posted on twitter 2 days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWnXQL3B4KY Looks fantastic!

I think you hit the nail on the head there.

That footage looks great, that needs to be on the kickstarter page.

I think you hit the nail on the head there.

That footage looks great, that needs to be on the kickstarter page.
It actually is on the Kickstarter, but just on the main page. Wasn't part of an update and the developer, James, states on the main page that he uses Facebook as sort of a dev log.

It actually is on the Kickstarter, but just on the main page. Wasn't part of an update and the developer, James, states on the main page that he uses Facebook as sort of a dev log.

I see, I think that's not a very smart idea, I don't use facebook. he needs to keep his kickstarter page alive.
EDIT: I agree that the topic tiltle could have been a lot better.

That looks amazing. Beyond awesome. Love the nocturnal neon vibe and the music is fantastic. Surprised this KS isn't exploding in popularity like it should be.

low-G

Arcade racing games really don't do well on KS, it seems. Any big success stories? That Project Fusion looks amazing but isn't exactly doing great either. 90s Arcade Racer scraped by.

Maybe it's the lack of consoles? Either way it's kinda hard to bring the genre back.

I think this game is also hurt by the apparent simplisity of the way the gameplay looks. Without opponent cars nor many obstacles in these videos it's not hard to visually strip away the cool style and see a super basic racing game.

Chris_C

I really want this, and backed it, but the reality is that Kickstarter's are largely driven by their community. Folks need to share and spread the word. Tweet, post on Facebook, that sort of thing.

Ezalc

Arcade racing games really don't do well on KS, it seems. Any big success stories? That Project Fusion looks amazing but isn't exactly doing great either. 90s Arcade Racer scraped by.

Maybe it's the lack of consoles? Either way it's kinda hard to bring the genre back.

I think this game is also hurt by the apparent simplisity of the way the gameplay looks. Without opponent cars nor many obstacles in these videos it's not hard to visually strip away the cool style and see a super basic racing game.

Drift Stage did pretty well IIRC. But I guess that did have a free demo as well to help things.

Demo is up for download in the latest steam greenlight post by the dev.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/updates/434946585/1432501686

Just downloaded and played this. Hmmm. It's definitely a rush of stylistic neon and vivid eighties awesomeness and the music is killer but it feels somewhat limited? And I don't mean limited because it's a demo. I mean limited as in what would a full game based on this concept be like? You essentially just boost forward down a neon tunnel and regardless of how awesome that is in terms of the rush of music and visuals the scope here seems so narrow. So narrow I'm not yet convinced nor confident this concept can support a fully realised game. Not yet at least.

Sega proved that arcade racers can be popular and successful; but Sega also rendered games that were far more exciting than this demo indicates.

I hope this KS is successful because I'd love to see what the developer could do with more time and funding but thus far I'm not yet convinced.

Coolade

Just played it right now and had a smile on my face the entire time.
It doesn't look like the kickstarter is going to be backed in time, and I don't know what that means for the game as a whole. I'd love to see it released though.

Fasty

Just downloaded and played this. Hmmm. It's definitely a rush of stylistic neon and vivid eighties awesomeness and the music is killer but it feels somewhat limited? And I don't mean limited because it's a demo. I mean limited as in what would a full game based on this concept be like? You essentially just boost forward down a neon tunnel and regardless of how awesome that is in terms of the rush of music and visuals the scope here seems so narrow. So narrow I'm not yet convinced nor confident this concept can support a fully realised game. Not yet at least.

Sega proved that arcade racers can be popular and successful; but Sega also rendered games that were far more exciting than this demo indicates.

I hope this KS is successful because I'd love to see what the developer could do with more time and funding but thus far I'm not yet convinced.

I completely agree with this. It's just screaming to be fleshed out more... maybe into something on the depth and scale of Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, but as it is I just don't think I could get that excited about collecting diamonds (yes I know that's only one of the modes but it seems indicative of the kind of game it's going to be)

this just made me want Wipeout 8000s (80s style)

Kickstart that clone

Also this!!

ArjanN

I don't know why but I saw the 16 as 9. Maybe I need to get my eyes checked.
Still, it doesn't matter. This won't reach the goal as it's barely over a third of the goal with 9 days to go.

Nah, too early to call IMO, as the total goal is pretty low. If it can get over 50% with a couple of days left they've definitely still got a shot.

Just tried the demo, looks really cool. Handling feels nice too, would be good if you could do some drifting around the corners (excess drifting around corners is an eighties thing too :^)
EDIT: Added it as a favorite on Steam to give it some more exposure.

Top Bottom