• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Power Rangers Twitch Marathon |OT3| Millions Dead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Nikus

Now that it's over, come join us in the annual TokuGAF thread. PR discussion mostly happens around new material (which there won't be any of for a while, thanks Nickelodeon), the rest is on Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, GARO, Ultraman and whatever else.

If you want to watch Ninja Steel, I believe Nick.com has all the episodes up, but don't quote me on that

tokugaf2016.gif

Power Rangers : Fuck Nature

Blueblur1

Now that it's over, come join us in the annual TokuGAF thread. PR discussion mostly happens around new material (which there won't be any of for a while, thanks Nickelodeon), the rest is on Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, GARO, Ultraman and whatever else.

If you want to watch Ninja Steel, I believe Nick.com has all the episodes up, but don't quote me on that

Nice, I'll check it out and post when I'm up-to-date.

I hope it's not soon or good. I need to sleep.
I second that. I stayed up until 3:30am watching RPM. I can't keep doing that. lol

Krixeus

Nice, I'll check it out and post when I'm up-to-date.

I second that. I stayed up until 3:30am watching RPM. I can't keep doing that. lol

Was Twitch chat as lively during the middle of the night? Dunno what viewership was like during those hours, but I remember it was still quite active the first few days during MMPR.

Thorgal

Was Twitch chat as lively during the middle of the night? Dunno what viewership was like during those hours, but I remember it was still quite active the first few days during MMPR.

They Started the stream With 50k views.

And approximately 80% of the time it never dipped lower then 20 k

Time to reflect my feelings and experiences post Marathon...

Although I missed most of the marathon, it has brought back so many memories. In the beggining I was like "yay, more sentai, but american!" It has been a few years of Starvation since they showed Ultraman, Jetman and Liveman on TV. I would not not find out about the japanese footage until many years later. I remember telling myself during the second season "There's something japanese a bout this", seeing the monster of the week designs.

It also brought back all the emotion and tensions from watching Tomy arrive, scream for more screen time for him, endure the suffering and humilliation conga that began with the green candle, and my heart beating so hard when the white ranger was revealed and I was like "He's baaaaack!" My reaction was almost like Kimberly's back then.

Then I began to lose track. I saw the movie in theatres, but missed most of Season 3 until the Shogun Zords appeared. The last I saw was a bit of Zeo, maybe the beginning and the appearance of the Gold Zeo Ranger. By the time the Turbo movie was announced I had grown up and my thoughts were "A fucking kid? This is stupid".

The aftermath? Watching Dino Thunder (just for Tomy) on Netflix, Gokaiger, which is something I had wanted to see since my first stay in Thailand, and kyuuranger. Sentai i's like crack cocaine, but... I'm going to ride the nostalgia train until it stops for me.

I ended up by far watching more Time Force and Ninja Storm than any others. Ninja Storm was my favorite before this marathon and it still is, although outside of those two and MMPR I didn't watch more than like 4 episodes of any other season. Some things I regret missing:

MMPR - White Ranger reveal (no idea when exactly this happened)
Time Force - The episode where the villain falls in love with the Blue Ranger (happened during a class final)
Wild Forces - Forever Red (was on at a terrible time for me)
Ninja Storm - Green Ranger reveal (was also during a class final)
Jungle Fury - The finale (one of the few post-Turbo seasons I had seen part of before)

I watched all the openings through Dino Charge a few days ago and put my top 5 earlier in the threads. The only openings I'd consider bad are Operation Overdrive, RPM, Samurai and Megaforce.

Man one thing I really got from this was a respect and sadness about Thuy Trang(Trini)
She really got better as the show went on, she got no in-show love at all and was then ditched by Saban, her career didn't really go anywhere and then dies in a car crash at the same age I am now.

It just really hit me in those last few episode before the cast swap.

Was bored browsing YouTube and noticed WatchMojo has done a lot of Power Rangers videos. They really didn't like Ninja Storm outside of the costumes (which they ranked 2nd best behind Time Force). Lothor isn't in their top 10 villains and doesn't even get an honorable mention. Ninja Storm isn't in their top 10 series and only gets an honorable mention after Super Megaforce and Wild Force.

WillyFive

Was bored browsing YouTube and noticed WatchMojo has done a lot of Power Rangers videos. They really didn't like Ninja Storm outside of the costumes (which they ranked 2nd best behind Time Force). Lothor isn't in their top 10 villains and doesn't even get an honorable mention. Ninja Storm isn't in their top 10 series and only gets an honorable mention after Super Megaforce and Wild Force.

Thy don't actually watch the shows. Like most places they look up clips and images to make it seem like they know anything of Power Rangers after 1995.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Nickelodoen are idiots.
Not only is a new Power Rangers movie out with positive word of mouth and decent box office returns, but a big Twitch marathon happened that got people interested in the franchise again, outside of MMPR.
And Nickelodeon puts the show on hiatus. They really don't know what they're doing.

Saban and crew really should put new seasons on Netflix. At least they don't have to do the stupid "40 episodes over two years" limit that's resulted in multiple seasons getting skipped.

jwk94

The morphing grid at work. These two look great.

Nickelodoen are idiots.
Not only is a new Power Rangers movie out with positive word of mouth and decent box office returns, but a big Twitch marathon happened that got people interested in the franchise again, outside of MMPR.
And Nickelodeon puts the show on hiatus. They really don't know what they're doing.

Saban and crew really should put new seasons on Netflix. At least they don't have to do the stupid "40 episodes over two years" limit that's resulted in multiple seasons getting skipped.

I kinda think they should go the Netflix route, but split the season in two. So, 20 episodes in the spring, and 20 episodes in the fall. That way, you can still hype up the fall premiere as usual and distance the toys and whatnot.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The problem with the netflix route is that it wouldn't really attract children. Don't forget that the show still exists to sell toys.

blakep267

I'm kinda sad it's over for us. This was such a fun journey back through time.
Yeah. Even though they are readily available on Netflix, I never bothered watching the past seasons. Lot of memories Thuy Trang :(

In the end I ended up watching
-All of MMPR seasons 1-2
- Second half of Turbo
- all of Space
- bits and pieces of Lost galaxy and Loghtspeed rescue
- All of time force
- half of SPD

I found new respect for
-TJ for carrying Andros lazy ass. And being the real leader
-Zhane for carrying the whole team always and ditching them to get a girl. #ZhaneCarry
-Carter for being shoot first... always
- Doggy Cruger for being a badass 100% of the time and not caring if his rangers die. As long as they learn a lesson

WillyFive

The problem with the netflix route is that it wouldn't really attract children. Don't forget that the show still exists to sell toys.

To truly attract children it needs to be on Youtube; which is not a bad idea because Power Rangers clips and Sentai movies gets million and million of views in it.

Thats not how Netflix is.
They were interested in bringing back Young Justice.
They picked up How To Train Your Dragon when it was dropped by its network.
they got that Del Toro cartoon and ordered a second season.
Voltron
Skylanders
etc

Yeah. Even though they are readily available on Netflix, I never bothered watching the past seasons. Lot of memories Thuy Trang :(

In the end I ended up watching
-All of MMPR seasons 1-2
- Second half of Turbo
- all of Space
- bits and pieces of Lost galaxy and Loghtspeed rescue
- All of time force
- half of SPD

I found new respect for
-TJ for carrying Andros lazy ass. And being the real leader
-Zhane for carrying the whole team always and ditching them to get a girl. #ZhaneCarry
-Carter for being shoot first... always
- Doggy Cruger for being a badass 100% of the time and not caring if his rangers die. As long as they learn a lesson

I really gained a respect for Zeo and In Space, I dropped Power Rangers going into Zeo but holy shit I wish I had made it all the way through to Space as a kid.

However my god one of the early In Space episodes I did see as a child because it was all that was on,
I had completely forgotten it but suddenly im an 8 year old sitting there from the Deja vu, it was so dang vivid.

-TJ and Cassie are legit

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
At some point we have to do this again. Like, we set a time on any online clock source, and we all start the episode at the same time, and we leave a buffer period to discuss that shit in between each.

Like MMPR S1E1 12:00PM, and S1E2 at 12:30 etc, etc.

This was way too much fun. I need more nostalgia.

Boke1879

At some point we have to do this again. Like, we set a time on any online clock source, and we all start the episode at the same time, and we leave a buffer period to discuss that shit in between each.

It's honestly why I hope twitch does a Power Rangers marathon at least once or twice a year.

This would be perfect to do in the winter. It literally took two weeks to get through it. It was a lot of fun.

Boss Doggie

Thats not how Netflix is.
They were interested in bringing back Young Justice.
They picked up How To Train Your Dragon when it was dropped by its network.
they got that Del Toro cartoon and ordered a second season.
Voltron
Skylanders
etc

aren't those shows mostly aimed for older children/teens? I know YJ was as well as Voltron. Also didn't know Dragon was dropped by CN. (oh CN)

To truly attract children it needs to be on Youtube; which is not a bad idea because Power Rangers clips and Sentai movies gets million and million of views in it.

I'm surprised they haven't made something like that. Like a collection of all episodes uploaded in YT.

Boke1879

Netflix could work. There are tons of kids who watch it. It would be awesome to just throw 20 episodes up there to binge and then another 20 in the fall.

It could still be aimed at kids, but also aimed at a wider audience. Netflix is huge.

aren't those shows mostly aimed for older children/teens? I know YJ was as well as Voltron. Also didn't know Dragon was dropped by CN. (oh CN)
Young Justice was just aimed at kids but the actual audience was older, same for Green Lantern and to a lesser extent the original Teen Titans.
Teen Titans was an afternoon show YJ & GL were Saturday morning cartoons.

Though yeah Netflix probably wanted it for a teen market.

Damn this thread bump got me feeling nostalgic for the marathon all over again. Such a good experience lol.

Would love to see PR outside of the Nick grip, but

Boke1879 said:
20 episodes up there to binge and then another 20 in the fall.

wherever it ended up (Netflix!) should definitely stick to this from the Nick "model". Just... don't put Super in front of the second half lawd.

Big Nikus

Yeah I would love that ! :)

TreIII

Damn this thread bump got me feeling nostalgic for the marathon all over again. Such a good experience lol.

It's still so funny how so much of my life was constructed around this marathon for two weeks. And the memes will stick with me forever.

BabyRage MOOOOOOOOOOOOOM GET THE CREDIT CARD BabyRage

jwk94

Justin Nimmo (Zhane) got a behind-the-scenes photo of Andros being salty:

Also, seems like Justin really liked being Psycho Silver. It's the only suit he has at the moment, but it looks like he's getting a Silver Ranger suit made too.

In Space crew still looking good too:

Boss Doggie

Young Justice was just aimed at kids but the actual audience was older, same for Green Lantern and to a lesser extent the original Teen Titans.
Teen Titans was an afternoon show YJ & GL were Saturday morning cartoons.

Though yeah Netflix probably wanted it for a teen market.

I thought YJ had a teen rating for audience or was it me misremembering?

It's still so funny how so much of my life was constructed around this marathon for two weeks. And the memes will stick with me forever.

BabyRage MOOOOOOOOOOOOOM GET THE CREDIT CARD BabyRage

Alright, quote, I guess
Haven't been quoted in a while, let's quote
quoting isn't that good, but alright

<3 Twitch chat

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I know Saban has had experience with Netflix. But I don't know if it was successful.
Anyone know if Glitter Force did well? For those unaware it was Saban's localization of Smile PreCure. Yes, localization, names were changed.

I also know that 8 episodes were cut. Which is idiotic, their Digimon dubs kept every episode.

Boss Doggie

It was rated TV-PG. The show had plenty of violence and didn't shy away from mentioning things like murder. CN or WB tried to sell it to kids, but it had more teen appeal than anything. Same with GL.

Ah so that was the rating I was looking for.

I wish GL gets the third season love :(

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Right? I'd so be down for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom