• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PPP poll: 55% of Republican voters still don't believe Don Jr. met with Russians

Cuburt

giphy.gif

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
At what point though so we start questioning if Republican voters are just giving polling places very Pro-Trump answers because they already don't trust news organizations and pollsters? Because I very much don't believe 45% of Republicans are fine with Trump shooting a man but I certainly do believe that 45% would say they are as a middle finger to the pollsters.
Yea, this is what in starting to think now aswell

Majority of Republican voters being idiots is not news. It's a long accepted fact.

It's beyond "idiots".

At what point though so we start questioning if Republican voters are just giving polling places very Pro-Trump answers because they already don't trust news organizations and pollsters? Because I very much don't believe 45% of Republicans are fine with Trump shooting a man but I certainly do believe that 45% would say they are as a middle finger to the pollsters.

Okay, this makes a ton of sense.

Not surprising any more. These people are not even listening to content of the question. It's mostly noise to them. The process looks like this:

Step 1: Listen to question with half an ear. Example: Blah blah blah Trump blah blah Russians blah blah.

Step 2: Expend minimal amount of mental resources to determine whether "Yes" or "No" is the pro-Trump answer.

Step 3: Give pro-Trump answer.

Facts don't matter. They're not even considered. Their answer to everything is "whatever is pro-Trump". Even the rest of the GOP, or Fox News can become "bad" instantly if they're not in line with Trump. And they have, on occasion.

And this is why Trump is completely safe from impeachment until/unless the makeup of Congress changes significantly.

Majority of Republican voters being idiots is not news. It's a long accepted fact.

They're not idiots, and it's dangerous to think so. They're no smarter or dumber than anyone else, as a whole. There are some statistics that bear this out, if you care to search for them. What they are is willfully ignorant. A person can be a genius and still almost magically believe stupid things in the face of overwhelming evidence that they aren't true.

Guevara

I think it's important to remember we will never convince these people of anything.

Best we can do is continue to encourage Trump to look impotent.

Yep, sounds like old senile people who watch nothing but fox news all day to me.

This is why democracy sucks as much as it is necessary.

People have had decades now of being lied to and told to ignore experts and facts.

It's the horrifying realisation of Orwellian double think no one believed could happen, but turned out to be even more insipid and pervasive than fiction feared.

Yep, sounds like old senile people who watch nothing but fox news all day to me.

This is why democracy sucks as much as it is necessary.

Fox News acknowledges the meeting took place, they even had Jr on Hannity admitting to it and talking about it.

If republicans see bad news they just pretend its not real.

G0523

Since I know I'm not alone in hating when polls only give percentages, here's the sample size:

Public Policy Polling surveyed 836 registered voters from July 14th to 17th. The margin of error is +/-
3.4%. 80% of participants, selected through a list based sample, responded via the phone, while 20% of
respondents who did not have landlines conducted the survey over the internet through an opt-in internet
panel.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2017/PPP_Release_National_71817.pdf

Sensational reporting is sensational. Don't react to the results until you've read the details. Thanks, Hubbl3!

Dude Abides

Banned
Sensational reporting is sensational. Don't react to the results until you've read the details. Thanks, Hubbl3!

What? Why do you think that means the reporting is sensational?

Please don't be one of those people who don't understand how statistical sampling works.

Yeah, internet polling isn't representative of the population, especially if voluntary.

That said Republicans aren't the brightest these days.

G0523

What? Why do you think that means the reporting is sensational?

Please don't be one of those people who don't understand how statistical sampling works.

That's an acceptable sample size.

Public Policy Polling surveyed 836 registered voters from July 14th to 17th. The margin of error is +/-
3.4%. 80% of participants, selected through a list based sample, responded via the phone, while 20% of
respondents who did not have landlines conducted the survey over the internet through an opt-in internet
panel.

80% of the 836 people (about 669 people) were on what PPP called a "list-based sample" responded to the poll via a landline phone. What group of people still own a landline phone and respond to it? More likely than not it's senior citizens.

20% of the 836 people (about 167 people) responded over the Internet through an "opt-in Internet panel."

Let's just say that the polling was targeting a very specific group of people.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
So they are calling Donald Trump Jr. a liar...

Gleethor

This is exactly what their "fake news" strategy was supposed to do: convince their base that anything bad said about Trump and co by the media is made up. Mission accomplished. Christ.

bomma_man

He doesn't have the power to do that.

Not that I think he will, but who and who's army would stop him? The constitution is only words. Just like fiat money, it only has power and value as long as people believe it does. You don't think countries with despotic leaders have de jure separation of powers and free press?

So statistically speaking, at least a few of the people that post here believe that Don Jr. didn't meet the Russians. Anyone care to chime in?

considering his support base is shrinking what do these percentages even mean by volume?

are we talking 55% of everyone who voted for him?

Im sick of the blinders either way. People that are still back this fucking criminal are fuck wads

RinsFury

The United States is beyond saving. You got a president that's clearly fucking the country in the ass and a good chunk of the country's population still want him in office.

A good chunk of this country is racist and would vote for anyone they perceive as damaging to minorities. Can only hope that the demographics change enough in the years to come that these worthless fucks lose the power to hold sway over the rest of the country. But that's so very long to wait.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Works for me. Rougly 75% of people are relatively reasonable.

A good chunk of this country is racist and would vote for anyone they perceive as damaging to minorities. Can only hope that the demographics change enough in the years to come that these worthless fucks lose the power to hold sway over the rest of the country. But that's so very long to wait.

The extremists will never change but maybe the confused young voters and those that are now disenchanted with Trump both in the middle and on the right will maybe come forward and do the right thing in 2018

Though im not expecting much right now. Lack of faith in our populance is at an all time high for me

Congratulations

You've got several tens of millions of people who've decided to just shut their higher brain functions off entirely. Feels like US democracy is currently on IV drip at the very least.

They're not idiots, and it's dangerous to think so. They're no smarter or dumber than anyone else, as a whole. There are some statistics that bear this out, if you care to search for them. What they are is willfully ignorant. A person can be a genius and still almost magically believe stupid things in the face of overwhelming evidence that they aren't true.

Yeah. For example high level Nazis had rather high IQ and yet were totally insane.

BADMAN

I don't understand why anyone is shocked or confused by this. The people who say they don't believe he had the meeting aren't getting their news from news outlets. They are getting their news from facebook groups and AM radio. They won't believe anything that doesn't fit the position of "The Russia thing is a witch hunt".

If you want these people to wake the fuck up you have to take away their ability to hear what they want to hear. And good luck with that. The first amendment is a powerful tool.

mcw

This sort of result is unfortunately inevitable when you've been trained your whole life to disregard truth so that you can maintain devotion to the church.

We are so goddamn polarized in our politics that people say they would be willing to support a leader who commits a murder in cold blood.

Think about that.

That's not just a polarization in politics, it's a polarization in the fundamental understanding and view of the world and reality.

Like I dont get it

Even when his Son just lays out the truth in the open personally.... they are still hypnotized

They want the world that Trump promised so badly... that they have slipped into that fantasy and are ignoring reality

Are these trump supporters really that desperate that they worked themselves into psychosis?

Like what the fuck... I hope they numbers are dwindling but based on the people that are distancing themselves from Trump they still hold all the horrible views they have always held

Brakke

Banned
80% of the 836 people (about 669 people) were on what PPP called a "list-based sample" responded to the poll via a landline phone. What group of people still own a landline phone and respond to it? More likely than not it's senior citizens.

20% of the 836 people (about 167 people) responded over the Internet through an "opt-in Internet panel."

Let's just say that the polling was targeting a very specific group of people.

You think this is the first time PPP ever ran a poll? You think they just ignored the most obvious pitfalls to sampling?

When they call people on a land line, they aren't just randomly dialing people from the set of all landline owners. You can easily prune the set of all landline owners down to be more representative of national demographics, and then randomly select from that set.

Top Bottom