• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre E3 MS rumours: HD-DVD for 100 bucks and more..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
We have insiders on this forum who could say X isn't true, just one thing, and it would destroy the credibility of the whole list. arne?

soundwave05 said:
Well lemme clarify that then -- his entire list is bullshit.

No one *ever* has scooped an E3/big trade show announcement before hand in such detail with dates/pricing and the deals with Paramout/NBC :lol

The Paramount deal is no 'scoop', it hit the press a week ago. You know that, right?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Even if the pricedrops are true, there's no way MS will be stupid enough to announce it so soon. They may talk about it behind closed doors at the moment, but there definitely wouldn't be any sort of official announcement 5 months before intended price drop date. This just sounds like a fanboy's wish rather than an actual policy.

GhaleonEB

Stinkles said:
$100 HD DVD drive would be facking sweet. Rest of it looks like bollocks too though.
...including that Halo 3 part? :)

Speevy said:
We have insiders on this forum who could say X isn't true, just one thing, and it would destroy the credibility of the whole list. arne?
Stinkles?

Joe

jamesinclair said:
-Webcam "My Eye on you", for the month of September with a price of $50 without game and $75 with a game.

Overpriced accessory? This list is true. :lol

Id seriously consider an Xbox 360 if the premium pack were $300, and some games I missed out on were playable on it (Rallisport 1 and 2, Top Spin, Crismon Skies)
cameras for the pc of the same spec range from about $50 to $100 at retailers. a logitech at the same spec is about $80 and if i remember correctly, the 360 is a logitech camera but i might be wrong.

Ponn

Banned
_leech_ said:
I sure hope most - if not all - of that turns out to be false. Makes it look like Microsoft is playing catch-up big time.

This whole HD-DVD addon gives me a headache alone. Frankenstein 360. If they can't bring it out for under $150 they should scrap it because it can end up doing more harm to them then good.

1) It shows to quite a few people and media that they were wrong not to go with a HD-DVD drive standard in the first place. It was just a big rush to be first and they couldn't wait for HD-DVD to be finished and get units in place.

2) If it costs just as much to piecemeal together a 360 and a HD-DVD addon as it is to buy a PS3, and it's not even a standarized format for their games then people will see that.

3) I'm still not getting how they are going to add HDMI on, and will it be the updated version? It just feels like SOMETHING is going to be gimped in the process there.

4) If they do get froggy and decide to put games out on HD-DVD then 1) point becomes even more apparent and you now have a segmented market.

5) I am REALLY glad I didn't jump on the launch bandwagon and I can play my roommates 360 till MS figures out what the hell they are doing with this machine and fixes all the bugs and BC.

As for the rest of the rumors, I do expect some type of price drop around the Holidays to counteract PS3. I would be surprised if they didn't. I HOPE they are increasing the games on XBLA and do include Sega in there. That would be pretty sweet. Even sweeter would be if they made some sort of deal with Gametap.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
The Paramount deal is no 'scoop', it hit the press a week ago. You know that, right?

Oh well. I guess the rest of its automatically true.

C'mon. Any person on this board could make a bullshit list like that with 2 minutes worth of research.

Elios83

Anyway something is wrong there.
You don't announce in May a price cut for October so that you slow your sales until then :lol :lol :lol
And it has no sense to cut the price in May when you don't even know what's your competitors' price strategy.
Sony won't even announce the price at E3 but at TGS.......so as I said before I smell bullshit aka wish list.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Speevy said:

Arne isn't needed to dismiss this.

I wonder if Spanish forums discuss 1up or Game Informer "What we'd like to see at E3" lists as confirmed news items.

Joe

for the love of god no one quote soundwave please.

and just because its listed as a pre-e3 rumor, does that mean it has to be announced at the pre-e3 conference?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Maximilian E. said:
-Xbox 360 Premium Pack price is going to drop $100 in October.
-Xbox 360 Core Pack price is going to drop $80 in October

If these happen, then $200 Revolution am cry. This really would be an excellent strategic move, even if MS's accounting department would (temporarily) disagree.

I really doubt Revolution will be even $200.

I don't see how that price works for a non-gamer ... $200, might as well be $400.

I think the whole Core/Premium pack nonsense will be done with on MS' part by this fall.

soundwave05 said:
I really doubt Revolution will be even $200.

I don't see how that price works for a non-gamer ... $200, might as well be $400.
Non gamers buy ipods. If the Revo will be "cool", it will sell no problem

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
I wonder how MS can stylize an external drive and not have it look completely out of place? Like it was meant to be there. It will need to support both vertical and horizontal positions since MS made a bid deal about that feature and will it have it's own Wall Wart???? Things that make me go hmmmmmm....

Blackcherry said:
Non gamers buy ipods. If the Revo will be "cool", it will sell no problem

If it was so easy to develop a "cool" image like that overnight, why didn't Nintendo do it ... I dunno ... at some point during the past 12 years?

The "casual" people who buy an iPod still love music ... so an iPod has automatic value to them ... most "casual" people don't give two shits about video games, so even if Nintendo can come up with a good line of games for them to enjoy, the system had better be cheap.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Wait, so the 100GB drive is Externel? So your going to have an Externel Drive attached to the system and if you get a HD DVD drive you'll also have that drive hanging outside the system also?

:S

Elios83 said:
Pre-installed in the 100GB hard disk,it's obvious!:D ;)

This was the most obvious point of BS to me in that entire list. If Microsoft is selling a 20GB HD for $130-fucking-dollars (CDN), how much do you think they'll (over)charge for 5x more space?

Furoba

BlueTsunami said:
Wait, so the 100GB drive is Externel? So your going to have an Externel Drive attached to the system and if you get a HD DVD drive you'll also have that drive hanging outside the system also?

:S

And after a year a revision comes out with all that bundled into one unit.

hadareud

The Translator
If this is indeed true MS is the absolutely worst company at keeping secrets. You'd think they'd threaten to cut peoples testicles off after last years disaster.

Then again, last year might have been intentional leaks. You would think that Sony's press conference would have shown them that you have to keep your big announcements secret until they're .... announced.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
_leech_ said:
This was the most obvious point of BS to me in that entire list. If Microsoft is selling a 20GB HD for $130-fucking-dollars (CDN), how much do you think they'll (over)charge for 5x more space?

Well, definitely not 5x more $.

Anyway, let's not make things feel more expensive than they are by putting it into Canadian dollars, mmmkay?

GhaleonEB

_leech_ said:
I'm predicting a sliding curve. Drop the price of the current to $60 and release the big one for $150 (USD) - something along those lines.

HokieJoe

Nash said:
What about HDMI? It's going to have to be more than a barebones thing.

They wouldn't really sell an HD-DVD add-on, for an HD console that won't let you watch movies in HD, surely?

As of right now, none of the studios are using ICT to downrez over component. That means movies will be output at 720p or 1080i over analog connections. Please remember though, I said, "right now". No one knows what they'll do in the future. If piracy were to become rampant, I'd say we can kiss those HD resolutions over component goodbye.

Mmmkay

chespace said:
Well, definitely not 5x more $.

Anyway, let's not make things feel more expensive than they are by putting it into Canadian dollars, mmmkay?
I was trying to stay out of this :(

KingJ2002

im still no too crazy about an hd-dvd addon... microsoft should have created a "third tier" in the xbox 360 system lineup... which comes in a different color (black), hd-dvd drive built in, hdmi cable, 360 media remote, and bigger hard drive.... marketed as some sort of xbox 360 "media center edition" and take on the ps3.

a hd-dvd add on seems like a "dreamcast" move.

not sayin the 360 is going the way of the dreamcast.... but the move for a hd-dvd add on is very "dreamcast"... ya know?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
HokieJoe said:
If piracy were to become rampant, I'd say we can kiss those HD resolutions over component goodbye.

:D

and the Sun will rise tomorrow like it does every morning. I still think we'll still be seeing cockblocking Movie studios that don't want their Movies going over component at all (Warner?).

mashoutposse

Ante Up
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Playstation One, $100 drop, eight months. That's a full 1/3 drop, too, not just a measly 25%. :lol

MS reduced the original XBOX by $100 within 6 months, so there's definitely a precedent.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
50 new BC titles would be hot - if they're the good titles still left to be emulated (Capcom and SNK 2D fighters/metal slug, Otogis, Fatal Frames, Silent Hills, Panzer Dragoon Orta, JSRF, Phantom Dust, etc.) and if they're perfect out of the gate.

soundwave05 said:
If it was so easy to develop a "cool" image like that overnight, why didn't Nintendo do it ... I dunno ... at some point during the past 12 years?

The "casual" people who buy an iPod still love music ... so an iPod has automatic value to them ... most "casual" people don't give two shits about video games, so even if Nintendo can come up with a good line of games for them to enjoy, the system had better be cheap.
arf, people don't enjoy videogames? you're funny you know. here some of my observations

-My brother and sisters play Solitaire on my computer all the time and were NES gamers in the past

-My other sister and my niece play Tetris on GB/GBA all the time

A lot of people play flash game on the net, DVD Movies game like the recent harry potter DVD, cellphone games, retro consoles, etc. Today gaming is just not accesible at all and I believe the Revo controller will break that problem.

Sorry it's not the place for this discussion but anyways!

SyNapSe

_leech_ said:

They'll lower it or discontinue it. While I'm not going to say that list is true a lot of the things on their wouldn't be that surprising. It's one of the reasons I didn't bother with a X360 yet. I bought an Xbox at launch and 6 months later at E3 it dropped in price $100. They tried to price super high in europe as well but it didn't work.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see Sony launch at $499 or something. If people are willing to buy them in the 1000's of Ebay at $800-$1000 dollars why not take a little bit of that profit yourself for the first few months when hype is crazy. Then cut the price at the next E3. Granted your walking a bit of a fine line, but it seems pretty obvious at this point that the early adopters are willing to pay a hefty fee to have these devices first. An extra $100 * even just 5 million units is a lot of extra cash.

Wait ... there's even more to his list.

Nintendo and Microsoft will sign a deal to work together. There will be a Revolution add-on for the XBox 360 for $130 availible the last week of October.

Nintendo's virtual catalog, including Rare titles like Donkey Kong Country and GoldenEye will be availible on the XBox Live Marketplace.

MS will bring Halo to the DS and re-release Halo 1 + 2 to support the Revmote.

Absolutely killer if true!

chespace

Blackcherry said:
arf, people don't enjoy videogames? you're funny you know. here some of my observations

-My brother and sisters play Solitaire on my computer all the time and were NES gamers in the past

A lot of people play flash game on the net, DVD Movies game like the recent harry potter DVD, cellphone games, retro consoles, etc. Today gaming is just not accesible at all and I believe the Revo controller will break that problem.

NeoGAF is here for you. Stay off the streets, and most of all -- believe, son. BELIEVE.

Blackcherry said:

Sorry it's not the place for this discussion but anyways!

If you're equating music to be as popular/valuable to a person as video games (assuming that person even plays the occasional game of Solataire here and there) you're off your friggin' rocker.

Nintendo has no business selling hardware any longer if that system is going to be over $150. It's a modestly souped up GameCube with a $40 controller tops (otherwise how are they going to sell seperate controllers at any kind of reasonable price?) for fall 2006.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
uh, the moment i saw the words "sega virtual console" my ex sega fanboy fanboy radar went off like mad. I think its safe to say whenever theres a big rumor involving microsoft and sega you can probably safely dismiss it without giving a second thought. Its almost always some ex sega fanboys wet dream.

chespace

sp0rsk said:
uh, the moment i saw the words "sega virtual console" my ex sega fanboy fanboy radar went off like mad. I think its safe to say whenever theres a big rumor involving microsoft and sega you can probably safely dismiss it without giving a second thought. Its almost always some ex sega fanboys wet dream.

Shenmue 3... :'(

where is kikizo when we need their lies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom