• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre ordered Mario Odyssey from Amazon, never again.

Halabane

I don't understand why people put themselves through all the hassle of ordering online and dealing with the delivery shenanigans.

Save yourself the headache. Wake up on launch day, enjoy coffee and a crumpet, stroll down to the nearest store and buy it. Back home by 9:15, ready to play.

good plan if you are unemployed. for the rest of us after working all day having it on the doorstep works out a bit better.

amazon using ups was worked out fine. rarely have an issue with them being late on anything. the other thing is distribution centers are often specialized so even if you have one near by does not mean the product comes from that site...for example I am in Mass but most of games seem to come from Kentucky.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
In my experience amazons track record with release day delivery has been rather poor. Only about half of the games I preorder end arriving on release day.

However the discount I get for being a prime member makes up for it.

jorgejjvr

For myself, it was because I work from 9am to 9pm today. I knew I wouldn’t have time to go to the store. I was hoping it’ll be home by the time I get home. Tomorrow I’m traveling. So there are reasons for online purchases. I bet it is convenience that makes most people do it. Going to the store can be time consuming for some.

I’m grateful for digital downloads.
Let's not forget discounts

$40ish beats $60 any time

In my case, I also had some gift cards and credits, so it was basically $0

This was an inconvenience but they always make up somehow too. I got an extra month of prime, and extra $10 credit. Something similar happened to me with Samus returns, and they basically game me the entire game back as credit. Around $34. Got it for free basically.

And now I get to apply that towards odyssey

There's definitely reasons to order online.

And of course, I was working all day

I'm pretty pissed too. Mine was out for delivery this morning (from Amazon's delivery service) and around 6pm I got a notice saying there was a carrier delay and I wouldn't get it until tomorrow. I chatted with their support and all they did was give me an extra month of prime and say they were sorry.

I don't understand why people put themselves through all the hassle of ordering online and dealing with the delivery shenanigans.

Save yourself the headache. Wake up on launch day, enjoy coffee and a crumpet, stroll down to the nearest store and buy it. Back home by 9:15, ready to play.

If you pre-ordered during E3 here in Canada you got 20% off games from Amazon. That is why. :)

That being said Amazon had been going downhill lately for me. I pre-ordered Battlefront 2, but didn't get a beta early access code. When I contacted them about they said we are sorry, but go contact EA. Gee thanks. My Wolfenstein TNC, which I pre-ordered during E3 has yet to ship, although it is "arriving today". I happened to go to Best Buy and by golly they had lots in stock. Hmmm...

WTF is going on with Amazon and games lately? Prior to these examples I usually got things right on time, other than an exception or two where I got the game a day later that I should've.

rochet

Same with me Now expected Oct 27 - Oct 31, called amazon and gave me 5 bucks credit. They said it will be in tomorrow.

starmud

rarely ive had this issue with pre ordering on amazon, usually if you make a support ticket they'll give you GC credit... plus the fact you get the prime pre order discount now... i find it really hard to complain about anything with video game ordering on amazon.

LukeA

Neo Member
Not to hi-jack the thread, but I wanted to share my Mario Odyssey + Switch issue from Amazon yesterday. I don't have posting privileges ;-)

I ordered a Nintendo Switch and Mario from Amazon UK as a surprise gift for my girlfriend. I work from home and was in the whole day to receive the order. Near the end of the day I got an email to say that my delivery had been left with a neighbour. I rang around all my neighbours and nothing.

I called Amazon UK who were initially incredibly helpful. Later in the evening I received an email where they told me that despite them not delivering it to me they would not be refunding nor replacing my order because their driver claims that he did in fact deliver to me.

What the fuck do I do now!?

https://imgur.com/a/m3EqM

MadmanUK

If it’s a game that I have to play day one I just go to the local supermarket. Our Amazon deliveries usually arrive between 12-6 which is too late. It’s not worth the hassle to save a couple of bucks.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
good plan if you are unemployed. for the rest of us after working all day having it on the doorstep works out a bit better.

amazon using ups was worked out fine. rarely have an issue with them being late on anything. the other thing is distribution centers are often specialized so even if you have one near by does not mean the product comes from that site...for example I am in Mass but most of games seem to come from Kentucky.

Amazon has much cheaper prices than local stores and the price dropped even at shipping some more (£41 was the final post shipping price and I did get it on launch day... benefits of living in London and not outin the countryside perhaps).

Mung

Amazon have always been super unreliable for me. Even on prime, which I pay for. Here in the UK I've stuck with GAME, who've delivered over 20 preorders on day one for me without fail. They use dpd as well, who are great. They might have a bad rep here but they've never let me down.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Had AC Origins preordered for about a month at Amazon UK. Said it would be shipped on the 26th and arrive 30th to 31st.
The 26th came, game was shipped late in the evening, delivery date changed to November 6th

Jonathan20022

Neo Member
Some of you seem to feel like you can just call and complain but expect a discount/credit to your account. And while Amazon is pretty generous about this kind of stuff, you should look into what happens if you do that one too many times. A couple of people in this thread seem like they make a habit out of it.

A high school friend got their Amazon account banned because they would complain, which there is nothing wrong with. But she would also demand compensation in the form of credits with almost every order she did, now she's blacklisted and can't use Amazon again.

Like I said, Amazon is pretty consumer friendly in terms of returns and stuff but don't push it. If you don't believe me just google it, and you'll see hundreds of people who went through the same thing.

My copy didn't arrive today, package was empty so I'm assuming it was a shipping error. I just asked for a refund and bought it in store at my Gamestop, didn't think the discount was worth waiting until Monday for.

onken

Yeah my buddy took the day off and paid for AM delivery, expecting early morning. Didn't actually show until 4pm. Just go digital or brick n mortar if you want something on time.

PrimeBeef

Did they ship it usps?
Usually Amazon ships my stuff through USPS and I never have issues. I even get Sunday deliveries. It's when it's shipped through UPS or Amazons own shipping unit that my stuff arrives days after it says it was delivered if tracking info is even updated.

drotahorror

I'm pretty pissed too. Mine was out for delivery this morning (from Amazon's delivery service) and around 6pm I got a notice saying there was a carrier delay and I wouldn't get it until tomorrow. I chatted with their support and all they did was give me an extra month of prime and say they were sorry.

What more do you expect? It's definitely not amazon's fault that there was a carrier delay.

Anywho, I got mine today, no problems.

yeah mine arrived at around 2 with no problems by one of Amazon's delivery drivers... but then I pre-ordered when I bought my Switch like 2 months ago.

1morerobot

This is why I do Gamers Unlocked and buy in-store at BB now. I actually try to avoid buying anything online as much as possible due to shipping problems.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mine shipped from an hour away Thursday morning. It is delayed. I asked Amazon chat why it was delayed and when it would arrive. They told me I could call the carrier (???) to find out and to contact them again on Wednesday if I do not receive it by then. They did not offer any compensation. It arrived at the post office 5 minutes away this morning, but no out for delivery notice so I think it won't be here until Monday.

I canceled all my gaming preorders on Amazon and am going down to Gamestop later today to do them. Amazon shipping has been shitty since they started using USPS for stuff.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Mine shipped from an hour away Thursday morning. It is delayed. I asked Amazon chat why it was delayed and when it would arrive. They told me I could call the carrier (???) to find out and to contact them again on Wednesday if I do not receive it by then. They did not offer any compensation. It arrived at the post office 5 minutes away this morning, but no out for delivery notice so I think it won't be here until Monday.

I canceled all my gaming preorders on Amazon and am going down to Gamestop later today to do them. Amazon shipping has been shitty since they started using USPS for stuff.

If you have a best buy near by I would go there gamer club unlocked is the best bargain in console games imo. I can't blame you if a item is must have on a certain date I still go to retail. Shipping issues will always happen.

thatJohann

Had the same issue with Amazon for Mario Kart. It was my first and last order with amazon for games. Not worth it. I love amazon for anything but games.

Petrae

Both Amazon and Best Buy have dropped the ball with me when it comes to "release day" shipping, so I've turned to picking games up at my nearest Best Buy store instead. Amazon is for retro games that I can't find in the wild now.

Red Comet

Mine as been “on it’s way to USPS” since Thursday. No idea what the hell is going on. Plus it’s shipping from a state over when there is a massive amazon distribution center about 30 minutes away from my house. Makes no damn sense.

majik13

some people work during the day, so its easier to just have it delivered( shop isnt open in the morning when I leave and is closed when I get home), also plus the %20 off discount of using Amazon, its a no brainer. Deliveries just shouldn't be an issue, but they are now. But its pretty easy to understand otherwise.

HalfJoey

Neo Member
Last night I did an online chat with Amazon customer service. Told them the carrier said it was delivered, but I never received it. Service Rep aked me to look around the area and i already had with no luck. I told them sometimes the carrier says its been delivered when it really hasn't been and they drop it off the next day. They said sometimes if the carrier thinks they can delivery it that day they will mark it as "delivered". To me that sounds like a way to game their delivery numbers, but I'm use to it by now... He gave me $5 Amazon credit, which I didn't ask for but accepted.

I would honestly be happy with a "shipment delayed" notice. But I got a "package delivered" notice and although its happened a lot before and I'm 90% sure the package will get delivered today, their false notice makes me think it could be lost and I was waiting all day for the package to arrive. Now I'm waiting today but have no tracking info because, according to Amazon, its already been delivered.

I pre-ordered with Amazon to get the pre-order discount and not worry about going to a store. But worrying about my package in limbo may not be worth the $12 savings.

Had multiple problems with Amazon getting new releases (both hardware and software) the day it’s released in spite of pre-ordering...and I live in Dallas with an Amazon distribution center 20 miles away. It’s why I gave up on Amazon and paid for the Best Buy Gamer’s Club...and I’ve had no problems picking up new releases.

I’m kinda nervous that my XBO:X Scorpio Edition won’t arrive on the 7th like it’s supposed to—I ordered from Amazon because I had $300 in credit, and I’m taking the day off to wait for it at home.

I digital preordered it. Didn't get it in time to preload.

Is Xenoblade Chronicles 2 a game you can preorder on the eshop? I'd rather do that than use Amazon for digital games.

ronpontelle

Neo Member
I spoke to Amazon UK's chat twice this week to make sure they sent my copy out to France asap. They said it would be later than Friday as I'm abroad. Fair enough, but here by Monday.

They posted it Thursday night, so it's blatantly not going to get here for a few days, the order says delivery Thursday as it's not first class.

Their staff do just say anything a lot of the time. They offered to send a replacement with 24 HR courier to France, but that's just insane and I turned them down and will wait for next week.

Relaxt

Neo Member
Mine was delivered a day early. Mario Kart 8 was delivered a day before release as well. Zelda, ARMS and Splatoon 2 came on release day.

Nester99

Its a crap shoot that sometimes pays off big.

I got Southpark delivered at my door 4 days early. Right when i was sick and had a ton of downtime to play!

It was supposed to be released Tuesday, Monday was a Thanksgiving so they sent it early and i got it Friday.

Nester99

I don't understand why you are so eager to pay 20% more for new games.

(pre order on amazon prime for a 20% discount)

RedFox85

I'm in the camp of no problems when it comes to this Amazon has always been awesome but I can understand your frustration OP. I also got my copy on THURSDAY one day before release so I double can't complain.

Red Comet

Day 2 after the guaranteed delivery date, and it’s still not going to be here today either. Way to ruin a weekend, Amazon. I know it’s probably the carriers fault, but I blame Amazon for saying that it will be delivered on release day and then not following through on that promise. Wish they would give us codes for a digital version in the time being or something.

Crazyorloco

Mine as been “on it’s way to USPS” since Thursday. No idea what the hell is going on. Plus it’s shipping from a state over when there is a massive amazon distribution center about 30 minutes away from my house. Makes no damn sense.

Same thing with me. It just stayed stuck there. I had to reship it. They said it’ll come today....hopefully it will.

bobone

I had similar experiences and will Never order from that site for games again.

Joined Best Buy club thingy, and its amazing. Never looked back.

Top Bottom