• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preacher |OT| The Beginning Is Nigh - Sundays 10/9c on AMC

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, no new episode until two weeks?

I really enjoyed that, having no prior knowledge of the source material.

so they're just doing the encore next week? Weird.

Some of the shots in the preview make me feel like a gun-running church shootout like in Black Lagoon should happen eventually in this show.

Platy

Is the episode over yet there ?

Just a question before seeing the episode later this week : How many issues of the comic does it cover ?

A friend still didn't read and he wants to rush as much as he can to see after he read the parts that he will watch

Anon67

If Preacher is my favorite comic ever, one that I re-read every year and can by now recite whole arcs, should I even give the show a try? Its completely fine if the answer is no.

How should we know? We've only seen the first episode.

Ashby

I already miss forced-against-his-will, constantly-in-a-literal-drunken-stupor-Jesse-as-a-preacher.

Just a question before seeing the episode later this week : How many issues of the comic does it cover ?

A friend still didn't read and he wants to rush as much as he can to see after he read the parts that he will watch

None of them. It's like a weird quasi-prequel so far.

It's been a while since I've read it, but I don't think they've even made it past the first issue. They're really taking their time while also adding a bunch of new stuff.

It's has hints of the comic but it's doing something different.

Well that was strange and wacky. I'm in. i don't know how to feel about the show yet. I liked some parts but I feel it dragged in the middle then started to get interesting

If Preacher is my favorite comic ever, one that I re-read every year and can by now recite whole arcs, should I even give the show a try? Its completely fine if the answer is no.

Of course.

It's completely different but fuck if that isn't Jesse and Cassidy and Tulip.

zedge

Don't know a thing about the comics but I enjoyed that. Really odd but I'm intrigued. I love the English guy from Misfits, although I wish he didn't have to fake the Irish accent. His real accent is much better. Not sure if the character he's playing was Irish so he has too.

Anyway looking forward to the next episode.

Nobody is gonna really watch during Memorial Day Weekend.

Oh duh, that's right forgot about Memorial Day weekend when I saw the commercial.

Well that was strange and wacky. I'm in. i don't know how to feel about the show yet. I liked some parts but I feel it dragged in the middle then started to get interesting

Yeah, I don't know anything about this but that was pretty cool, weird, crazy, and oddly intriguing.

Steve Dillon, keeping up on things nicely

cx593Xt.jpg

I am kind of indifferent at the moment. I am trying to judge it on its own merits and not nitpick it based on the source material, but it is difficult. It is doing well enough on its own, but it does have a vibe to it like it is a teen trying hard to be edgy.
They didn't fuck up the characters at least, so for that I am thankful and will still be tuning in.

Have no connection to the source material and am only tangentially familiar with it, but I really enjoyed this a lot. Anything with good/evil/angel/demon stuff gets my attention.

JeTmAn81

Started watching it. I'm a huge fan of the comic. Cassidy's first scene might be one of the best character introductions I've seen on TV. So far most of the individual interactions aren't really from the comic at all but they fit right in with the story. I'm really liking it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This was surprisingly good. I was expecting a trainwreck because lol AMC but it worked out really well. I hope this didn't bomb and that they can tell the whole story.

I've been watching from the start and I still have no idea what is going on lol.

Edit: that bar scene was good. Liked the tv saying tom cruise blew up at the church of Scientology lol.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Preacher is my favourite comic and so far this episode is underwhelming as shit.

Yeah yeah yeah "it's an adaptation". Okay but this has fuck all to do with the source material. Like it adapted the characters sort of... that's about it.

I'll keep watching for now because it's mildly entertaining. I did burst out laughing at Tom Cruise exploding and the dude "opening his heart". But yeah... I don't care for where this is going. Like him staying a preacher. SMH

Zero. No hyperbole either.

Khoryos

I just realised - Arseface doesn't really make sense anymore, does he? He ate a shotgun the day after Kurt Cobain did, but that's now quite a while ago.

JeTmAn81

I just realised - Arseface doesn't really make sense anymore, does he? He ate a shotgun the day after Kurt Cobain did, but that's now quite a while ago.

I'm hoping they'll come up with another clever reason for him to blow himself up.

Also, looks like the show continues the tradition of every video game played on screen featuring a Donkey Kong or Pac-Man noise. I hope they're being ironic...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Preacher is my favourite comic and so far this episode is underwhelming as shit.

Yeah yeah yeah "it's an adaptation". Okay but this has fuck all to do with the source material. Like it adapted the characters sort of... that's about it.

I'll keep watching for now because it's mildly entertaining. I did burst out laughing at Tom Cruise exploding and the dude "opening his heart". But yeah... I don't care for where this is going. Like him staying a preacher. SMH

yeah this sounds more like what I expected and why maybe I should avoid it :/

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I really enjoyed that. It's doing its own thing, but it definitely retains the spirit of the comic. Totally okay with this being prequel-ish if it continues the quality of the pilot. They nailed Jesse, Tulip, and Cassidy. Already loving what they've done with those roles.

KonradLaw

That was amazing. The best type of adaptation - keeping the spirit, but not necessary the letter. And they were right. This already was weird as fuck, so easing up the audience before the insanity starts was a good choice.

I will rewatch this episode today, because it was just so filled with those great little moments. Like those toy soldiers sticking out of that dead guy's head. :D Or the mess Cassidy was after his landing. Or those stereotypical clothes those two pursuers had everywhere they went :D

And Jesus...those were some truly spectacular fight scenes. And somehow, despite the insanity, the whole thin feels coherent. It mixes humor, with action and then some darkness and yet it all gells together somehow.

With this and Outcast summer TV season is off to a fricking amazing start.

Dalek

I really enjoyed that. It's doing its own thing, but it definitely retains the spirit of the comic. Totally okay with this being prequel-ish if it continues the quality of the pilot. They nailed Jesse, Tulip, and Cassidy. Already loving what they've done with those roles.

I only got to watch half of it tonight because my wife fell asleep but they nailed Cassidy and Tulip's introductions.

Khoryos

Changing Jesse and Tulip's relationship so fundamentally kind of irked me. There was no reason for that.

I don't know, "they used to do bad stuff -> Jesse vanished and wound up a priest" sounds about right, now? I'm not entirely happy about how competent Tulip was, but that's my only real objection there.

That's what I don't understand about this at all, there's parts of the first couple comics in there and then there is all this extra embellishment.

I liked parts of it, but I am really kinda... ehhh so far with it.

I mean in the comic, when
Genesis possessed Jessie, the whole town exploded like an atom bomb. He basically gets pursued by the mysterious Vatican guys, Herr Starr, and the local Police department. I'm kinda summarizing events here but that is the gist of it, Jessie wants answers and basically wants to tell God off for things being so shitty on Earth, and why the fuck he's possessed by Genesis. I mean I am simplifying a little bit.

Also, how they just drop Arseface on you without going through why he looks the way he does, not to mention I don't really think the whole mimicking Kurt Cobain thing is gonna factor in so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I love whoever they got to play Cassidy, he's great and his landing was hilarious.

I didn't really care about the deviations in TWD, but here... it's feeling a bit weird for me.

Top Bottom