• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preacher |OT| The Beginning Is Nigh - Sundays 10/9c on AMC

Siegcram

I'm on board with their take on Cassidy, the rest just doesn't sit right.

It doesn't help that i can't help but picture Walton Goggins as Jesse every time the other dude is on screen.

I don't necessarily understand why you guys who are such big fans want a direct adaptation of the comic. You have the comic for that. Let this be its own thing and supplement that, rather than just directly translate. Watchmen did that and it had no agency unto itself.

really enjoyed the pilot. loved the cast and the overall atmosphere. feels like it's been a decade or more since i read the comics and i don't remember all that much of it now

Reminder: Episode 2 doesn't air until June 5th. Next week is a repeat of the series premiere.

if i had known this ahead of time i probably would have just waited until next Sunday to watch it

I don't necessarily understand why you guys who are such big fans want a direct adaptation of the comic. You have the comic for that. Let this be its own thing and supplement that, rather than just directly translate. Watchmen did that and it had no agency unto itself.

But... The problems with Watchmen are the parts where it didn't directly translate the comic.

I don't know, "they used to do bad stuff -> Jesse vanished and wound up a priest" sounds about right, now? I'm not entirely happy about how competent Tulip was, but that's my only real objection there.

But now he didn't vanish, she knows exactly where he is... Which would kinda imply the reason he accepted to be a preacher is also completely different.

I don't like this change at all... but I suppose I'll try to do my best to take the show as its own thing and see where it goes. There were some good parts for sure, but overall a bit disappointing to me so far. I'll give it a few episodes.

I really liked what they did with Cass and Tulip, but I'm still not sold on some of the other parts of the show. Especially Jesse's choice at the end. Just gotta separate the show from the comic and see where this ride takes us, I guess.

I liked how crazy the whole episode felt. Definitely nailed the weird energy of the source material.
Tom Cruise exploding
felt like something the comic would have done lol

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The problems with Watchmen is that it basically recaptured comic panels and didn't give any thought to the motivation behind them.

Yup, I think the material that diverges in Watchmen is either innocuous or in some cases an improvement.

If this wants to go off on its own path, fill in gaps, and only follow major story beats, I'm cool with it. It's tonally faithful, and doesn't detract from how much I enjoyed the comic.

Maybe we'll finally find out how you're supposed to pronounce
Proinsias
!

Is that what the map said? I missed that. SD cable.

Also really loving the perplexed curiosity at how a teenager could want to blow his brains out if Kurt Cobain isn't on the table anymore. Lmfao

Khoryos

Is that what the map said? I missed that. SD cable.

Also really loving the perplexed curiosity at how a teenager could want to blow his brains out if Kurt Cobain isn't on the table anymore. Lmfao

No, that's a character's name from later in the series. And as for the Cobain thing - I'm dancing around it because I don't want to spoil the comic, but Cobain specifically was a major trigger for Arseface.

No, that's a character's name from later in the series. And as for the Cobain thing - I'm dancing around it because I don't want to spoil the comic, but Cobain specifically was a major trigger for Arseface.

I know, I read it. But again, there's a zillion reasons a high school kid could want to do that.

Totally forgot about that name thing, lol.

So what did the map say?

RangerX

Banned
Maybe we'll finally find out how you're supposed to pronounce
Proinsias
!

I'm Irish, its pretty easy to pronounce. Proin-chus. I've read preacher a couple of times and really liked it, well the first 3/4 at least. I'll check this out later.

Hagi

I've only seen parts of the comic in passing but man I really enjoyed this first episode. It was funny, weird and Cassiday is great. Looking forward to the rest of the season. That bar fight was pretty brutal.

DeathyBoy

Banned
On Amazon (UK) tonight, so will watch this.

Is Joe Gilgan as good as always?

Dude is perfect.

Loved the first episode. And knowing this is loosely a prequel before the shit hits the fan of the comic book is pretty cool - S1 finale is going to be batshit insane.

Also, Dominic Cooper is criminally underrated. Going from Howard Stark to this is some razor sharp acting.

Ruth is perfect too.

On Amazon (UK) tonight, so will watch this.

Is Joe Gilgan as good as always?

His Irish accent is pretty iffy, but he's good. There is a LOT of British actors in this. Every scene had me going "Oh, look, it's so and so off such and such."

Lucy Griffiths is so god damn pretty.

DeathyBoy

Banned
His Irish accent is pretty iffy, but he's good. There is a LOT of British actors in this. Every scene had me going "Oh, look, it's so and so off such and such."

Lucy Griffiths is so god damn pretty.

The show itself is very fetching. Goldberg and Rogen did good. That plane sequence was fantastic.

KonradLaw

Also..lol..one of the goons in the bar scene, the big one with the beard. That was same guy who was in John Wick and Equalizer. Seems his destiniy as an actor is to become a victim of retired badasses who tried to be good, but got pissed and are getting back into the game :D

RS4-

I'm probably in for the long haul, I don't have much invested in the source material as I'm only halfway through over the years.

So I've got no problems with how things went in the premiere.

vaderise

It's not anywhere as good as the comic series.Even with all the violance in this first episode it's still too tamed down especially when it comes to religious stuff.Still it seems like this can be a preety good show on it's own. I will keep watching but won't expect super disturbing-mind blowing stuff from comic series.

But gotta say they truely nailed Cassidy.

Krakn3Dfx

Never read the comics, first episode was alright, felt like maybe they were trying too hard in some respects, but I'll definitely keep watching, since I like the idea of the backstory and content a lot.

It's not anywhere as good as the comic series.Even with all the violance in this first episode it's still too tamed down especially when it comes to religious stuff.Still it seems like this can be a preety good show on it's own. I will keep watching but won't expect super disturbing-mind blowing stuff from comic series.

But gotta say they truely nailed Cassidy.

I'm surprised at how much I loved it since I've long felt that the first four issues of the comic are literally a perfect filmed narrative. No need to change a thing, shoot it as is.

But going back to it, I realized it's a perfect comic book story and this pilot did so many delightful things in a visual medium that I am totally on board with whatever the show develops into. The important thing, that still remains, is the thrilling and elemental combination of these three characters. I'm very excited to see what comes next.

I totally forgot about the Fear midseason finale, as well as Preacher. I don't even know how I spaced it. Thank you, PS Vue, though, as I get to watch last night's showing. I was surprised to see the episode is 90 minutes long!

Moff

that was damn good
love the characters
love the setting
love the themes
I think I might have a new favourite show of the week

just one question: will this thread continue to have unmarked comicbook spoilers or can I unsubscribe?
and yeah, I know, it's far from the comicbook material, but some things are still in it and I don't want to know about any differences either

styl3s

I'm surprised at how much I loved it since I've long felt that the first four issues of the comic are literally a perfect filmed narrative. No need to change a thing, shoot it as is.

But going back to it, I realized it's a perfect comic book story and this pilot did so many delightful things in a visual medium that I am totally on board with whatever the show develops into. The important thing, that still remains, is the thrilling and elemental combination of these three characters. I'm very excited to see what comes next.
I have never been a fan of any movie or DC animated film that just did the exact same thing as the comic i have the comics to get that experience. I want someone to take the characters and stories and do their own spin while staying partly faithful to the source material and that's why i love the Walking Dead. Yeah, it does some similar things especially in the pilot but other than that it's taking the characters i like, the stories i like and changing them up some.

There is no surprise or freshness factor when you just do a frame-frame show or movie. I love the Preacher comics but some of that stuff just doesn't translate well today and i absolutely don't want arseface to have the same origin, i mean, he can't but i don't want it anything like in the comics i want something new.

I have never been a fan of any movie or DC animated film that just did the exact same thing as the comic i have the comics to get that experience. I want someone to take the characters and stories and do their own spin while staying partly faithful to the source material and that's why i love the Walking Dead. Yeah, it does some similar things especially in the pilot but other than that it's taking the characters i like, the stories i like and changing them up some.

There is no surprise or freshness factor when you just do a frame-frame show or movie. I love the Preacher comics but some of that stuff just doesn't translate well today and i absolutely don't want arseface to have the same origin, i mean, he can't but i don't want it anything like in the comics i want something new.

Yeah I agree. I realized I was just playing a movie in my head of a perfect comic. Let the show be the show.

Qvoth

just watched it
intriguing to say the least
not sure if that's a good or a bad thing yet, i'll probably check out the comics

I've only read the first volume so I'm not hardcore like some. I enjoyed the premier. Cast was good with some twisted humor. Cassidy was great as expected and tulips intro scene was fun

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
This aired? I need to watch it.

REALLY curious how they will adapt some of the crazy shit in the book. Pretty much everything involved in Preacher's past alone...well I suppose they could infer a lot without actively showing what goes on with his 'famly'.

Big fan of the graphic novels, and I am in the camp of it being significantly changed, but also feeling so very right.

Yes it seems like a mountain of changes will keep it from being a relatively straight adaptation, but the best compliment I can give it, is that it still felt like Garth Ennis was writing it. There were a ton of beats which felt right out of the comic, and the tone was absolutely in place. Some great casting bolstered that.

I honestly feel like this could be a big hit for AMC if word gets around to non-comic fans, in the way Walking Dead did, and I am largely ok with it being its own thing as long as it always feels as much like Ennis, and Preacher, as this did.

Disgraced

(Non-reader) To echo some common sentiments here — I've never watched anything like that; it's certainly its own flavor of fucking weird.

I too will stick with it but I don't know if it's good. It has extraordinary potential.

Top Bottom