• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict what Nintendo teams are working on.

mrmickfran

Retro - Donkey Kong 3 hopefully
Monolith Soft - Xenoblade 3
Game Freak - Gen IV remake or 3rd version of S&M
EPD Tokyo - Mario
EPD- NSMB, Zelda: BotW, Some killer app for the console, Spla2n
Hal - Smash 4 port/ Smash 5?
Intelligent Systems - New Fire Emblem

Linkyn

This used to be a bit easier when they were still using the EAD, etc. structure. Right now, we don't know much about their internal studio structure, and it could be much more fluid and flexible now that some of their hardware and software divisions have been consolidated. For the sake of the argument, I'll go with the old structure. I'm also going to include some of the more prominent affiliated studios. I'm leaving out studios like Grezzo, Monster Games, the SPD group, and so forth on purpose, since those only co-develop games for the most part.

• Nintendo EPD:
    • Nintendo EAD Kyoto 1:
      • Mario Kart, Nintendogs
      • Most Recent Game: Mario Kart 8 (DLC 2 on 23.04.2015)
      • Pretty clear they are working on the next Mario Kart.
    • Nintendo EAD Kyoto 2:
      • Various Wii-style games, Animal Crossing, Splatoon
      • Most recent game: Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer (30.07.2015)
      • Given the success of Splatoon, a sequel seems likely, but if the NX is a least in part a portable, my guess would be the next game here is a new mainline Animal Crossing.
    • Nintendo EAD Kyoto 3:
      • The Legend of Zelda
      • Most recent game: The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes (actually already developed as EPD) (22.10.2015)
      • Definitely working on Breath of the Wild at the moment.
    • Nintendo EAD Kyoto 4:
      • 2D Mario, Pikmin (at least Pikmin 3)
      • Most recent game: Super Mario Maker (10.09.2015)
      • We know that Pikmin 4 was far into development at some point, and is possibly being held back for the NX. Normally, I'd say that a NSMB is also likely, but now I'm thinking that a sequel to Super Mario Maker makes more sense here, though that would seem to be a bit further off.
    • Nintendo EAD Kyoto 5:
      • Steel Diver, Wii fit (but mostly co-development on various titles)
      • Most recent game: Steel Diver: Sub Wars (13.02.2014)
      • No idea. Could be a new 'Fit' game, a new Steel Diver, or just help for one of the other teams.
    • Nintendo EAD Tokyo 1:
      • The Legend of Zelda Remakes (mostly oversight)
      • Most recent game: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (13.02.2015)
      • More or less the same deal as for Kyoto 5.
    • Nintendo EAD Tokyo 2:
      • 3D Mario, Flipnote, NES Remix
      • Most recent game: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (13.11.2014)
      • My money's on a new 3D Mario here. Maybe a few people working on SNES Remix, though with the NES Classic coming out later this year, it's hard to say what the general strategy for retro titles could be going forward.
  • Non-Nintendo Internal Studios
    • Monolith Soft:
      • Xeno games
      • Most recent game(s): Xenoblade Chronicles X (29.04.2015) / Project X Zone 2 (12.11.2015)
      • There's been some talk about a sequel to Xeno X, but that seems quite some time off.
    • Retro Studios:
      • Metroid Prime, Donkey Kong Country Returns / Tropical Freeze
      • Most recent game: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (13.02.2014)
      • This is probably the most interesting one. Could be a new Metroid game, could be a new DK game, could be a revival of another Nintendo IP, could be something completely different.
    • Nd Cube:
      • Mario Party and similar titles
      • Most recent game: Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival (13.11.2015)
      • They're currently working on Paper Mario: Star Rush, and the next one after that is most likely going to be another Mario Party game or minigame collection.
  • Affiliated Studios:
    • Intelligent Systems:
      • Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, WarioWare, Pushmo / Pullblox and other puzzle games
      • Most recent game: Fire Emblem Fates (25.06.2015)
      • We know they're working on Paper Mario: Colour Splash, but I'd be shocked if there isn't already planning for the next Fire Emblem being done. Possibly also a Warioware game to showcase potential hardware gimmicks.
    • Next Level Games:
      • Mario Strikers, Punch-Out!!, Luigi's Mansion 2
      • Most recent game: Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (20.03.2013)
      • Federation Force is coming out next week. I'd also really like to see another Strikers or Luigi's Mansion game at some point.
    • HAL Laboratory:
      • Kirby, Mother, Super Smash Bros.
      • Most recent game: Kirby: Planet Robobot (28.04.2016)
      • Probably another Kirby game. Maybe a new Mother game, or work on Smash Bros. with some other studios (depending on Sakurai's disposition).
    • Sora Ltd.:
      • Super Smash Bros., Kid Icarus: Uprising
      • Most recent game: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U / 3DS (21.11.2014, significant post-release support)
      • A bit of a wild card. The conservative choice would be Smash Bros., but Sakurai might want to do something different again.
    • Good-Feel:
      • Kirby's Epic Yarn, Yoshi's Woolly World
      • Most recent game: Yoshi's Woolly World (25.06.2015)
      • Given the modest success of Woolly World, I can see another Nintendo IP get the fabric treatment.
    • Game Freak:
      • Pokémon
      • Most recent game: Pokémon ORAS (11.11.2014)
      • No secret here, they're working on Sun / Moon. After that, it's a toss-up between Gen 8 and Gen 4 remakes.

Kneefoil

Nintendo EPD is making an adventure game about the wacky life of Mr. Game & Watch. Mr. G&W has a hard time keeping a job, because he always fucks up somehow in the end. The jobs are presented as mini games which are updated versions of classic G&W games like Fire, Chef, Judge and Octopus. The ultimate goal of the game is to impress and marry Ms. Game & Watch.

On a more serious note, we know they are working on a new Mario, Pikmin, Splatoon and Mario Kart. My guess is that they are also making a new Animal Crossing, because it's been a while since the last one. I'm sure they're also helping with Skyward Sword HD, but whether the "main" dev for that is Grezzo, Tantalus, or someone new is uncertain.

Bamco and Sora are focusing on Smash NX.

Nd Cube is probably just making a Mario Party again.

Intelligent Systems is working on Fire Emblem again, though I would like a new Advance Wars.

HAL will never stop making Kirby games.

Alpha Dream is unsurprisingly making a new Mario & Luigi.

Monolith is working on Xenoblade 3 which focuses a bit more on storytelling like the first game.

As much as I would like to say that Next Level Games are working on a new entry in a series they haven't touched on yet, I'm honestly expecting Luigi's Mansion 3 from them.

Perhaps most interestingly, I think that Retro is working on a new, completely original IP.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Nintendo EPD (in-house, Enterainment Planning & Development Division of Nintendo Co., Ltd.)
  • Hideki Konno, Production Group - Mario Kart Team, Nintendogs Team
  • Hisashi Nogami, Production Group - Splatoon Team, Animal Crossing Team, Wii Sports Team
  • Eiji Aonuma, Production Group - 3D Zelda Team, 2D Zelda Team, New IP Team?
  • Hiroyuki Kimura, Production Group - Super Mario Maker Team, Pikmin Team
  • Tadashi Sugiyama, Production Group - Wii Fi Team, Steel Diver Team
  • Takao Shimizu, Production Group - Nintendo DS Guide Team
  • Koichi Hayashida, Production Group - Super Mario 3D World Team, NES Remix Team, Flipnote Studio Team
  • Yoshio Sakamoto, Production Group - Miitomo Team, WarioWare Team, Rhythm Tengoku Team
  • Kouichi Kawamoto, Production Group - StreetPass Team, Nintendo Badge Arcade Team
  • Toyokazu Nonaka, Production Group - New Mini-Game Team (stole the lead programmer from Sakamoto's group to make Wii Play Motion)

Nintendo EPD (external, Enterainment Planning & Development Division of Nintendo Co., Ltd.)
  • Hitoshi Yamagami, Production Group - Japan Games
  • Keisuke Terasaki, Production Group - Overseas Games
  • Hiroshi Sato, Production Group - Mario Party / Mario & Sonic Series
  • Toshiharu Izuno, Production Group - Yoshi Series

As far as outer Nintendo companies / affiliates. Only thing substantial I see next year is from Retro Studios. Who knows what that is.

Neoxon

Retro - Donkey Kong 3 hopefully
Monolith Soft - Xenoblade 3
Game Freak - Gen IV remake or 3rd version of S&M
EPD Tokyo - Mario
EPD- NSMB, Zelda: BotW, Some killer app for the console, Spla2n
Hal - Smash 4 port/ Smash 5?
Intelligent Systems - New Fire Emblem
HAL hasn't done Smash games since Melee wrapped up. The Smash 4 port will likely be done by Bandai Namco (as rumored).

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
HAL hasn't done Smash games since Melee wrapped up. The Smash 4 port will likely be done by Bandai Namco (as rumored).

Nintendo actually bought HAL's share of the game copyright, and presumably fully obtained the Melee source which is how they've facilitated the Brawl and Wii U/ 3DS games.

Feffe

Now that SPD and EAD merged things are going to be a bit different; for the start, Sakamoto now has a development team if he were going to create games bigger than Rhythm Haeven.

EPD1 (Konno's team, Mario Kart team): Mario Kart, obviously, and maybe something for mobile since Konno is overseeing every mobile game

EPD 2 (AC/Splatoon/WiiSports team): Animal Crossing NX, Animal Crossing mobile, Splatoon NX. Safe bet.

EPD 3 (Zelda): BotW, then the thief game Aonuma mentioned some times ago

EPD 4 (Pikmin/NSMB): Pikmin 4, New Mario Maker

EPD 5 (Steel Diver, Wii Fit, Star Fox): I honestly think this division doesn't exist anymore. I don't think we'll see another SF for a while, Wii Fit is dead, Steel Diver nobody cares about. Assuming it's still alive, maybe something for mobile. Or F-Zero NX, if Nintendo decides to revive the series.

EPD 6 (Rhythm Paradise, Metroid, Tomodachi): Oh, Sakamoto's team. Tomodachi NX is a safe bet, I think. I don't think without Iwata Rhythm Haeven will continue. So... I dunno. Sakamoto might finally create Metroid Dread, returning the series to its 2D roots.

EPD Tokyo 1: "A new kind of Mario", as Koizumi mentioned.

EPD Tokyo 2: Some filler-in game (Captain Toad, NES Classic)

Retro Studios: Metroid. Remember when Tanabe told us how he'd like to continue the Syrux plot and so on? I think Retro is already developing a new Metroid Prime for NX (was for Wii U, then it got moved), but obviously Tanabe has to tell us in a hypothetical manner. Almost like Square annuoncing DQ for NX then going "No, we're just thinking about it!"

Monolith: A new Xenoblade, I guess. Might reuse the engine of X.

Nd Cube: A Mario/Wii/AC party.

NST: Mario vs. DK mobile.

Intelligent System: Fire Emblem mobile, Fire Emblem NX, puzzle games

HAL: Kirby, smaller games like BOXBOY

JaseMath

Retro is working on Star Tropics. Mark this post.

I've been saying it for years and it will come to pass. It's the perfect series for Nintendo to reboot.

Nintendo EPD (in-house, Enterainment Planning & Development Division of Nintendo Co., Ltd.)
[*]Toyokazu Nonaka, Production Group - New Mini-Game Team (stole the lead programmer from Sakamoto's group to make Wii Play Motion)
[/LIST]

As far as outer Nintendo companies / affiliates. Only thing substantial I see next year is from Retro Studios. Who knows what that is.
Shouldn't Nonaka be listed under external. The only 'internal' thing he has done is Wii Play Motion and that was a big collaboration between several small Nintendo partner plus a small portion of SPD1. His most recent work was Disney Art Academy and Mario & Sonic at Rio
Izuno hasn't worked on a Yoshi game too. He's worked with Camelot, Alphadream, Smash and on the Fatal Frame series

Retro : Donkey Kong
My fantasy is that they make a Retro inspired Donkey Kong Maker. It's so easy and logical to imagine, that's why Nintendo won't make it. :(

I believe with the success of Splatoon Nintendo's teams can and will suprise us with more high quality originals, while other teams still bring us the tried and true mainstays that we love.

The beauty of this strategy is the handheld and console teams are working hand and hand to make sure there is no overlap on one unified platform. Thank goodness for that too, because how annoying and pricey it was to have multiple versions of Mario Kart, Smash Bros. etc. Now there is going to be a much needed variety of software available for us to enjoy.

radcliff

Given that EAD and SPD have now merged, any chance that EPD 4 (Hiroyuki Kimura) could develop a 2.5d Metroid title? Kimura has worked on 2d Metroid titles in the past (Metroid II and Super Metroid) and his group is experienced in making 2.5d games as they are the New Super Mario Bros. team. I would imagine his Metroid experience, coupled with some artistic direction from Monolithsoft Kyoto could make a great Metroid title.

Anth0ny

Now that Switch is revealed, I think it's safe to say:

EAD Tokyo 2 = 3D Mario for Switch (shocking!)
EAD Kyoto 1 = Mario Kart Switch
EAD Kyoto 2 = Splatoon Switch
EAD Kyoto 3 = Breath of the Wild along with Nintendo EPD Team

Now some light speculation:

EAD Kyoto 4 = Pikmin Switch? Assuming Miyamoto wasn't talking about the 3DS Pikmin during that interview.

Really curious about EAD Kyoto 5, which previously worked on Wii Fit. I have a feeling the Wii ___ games will be retired for the time being, so I wonder what they'll be working on going forward.

EAD Tokyo 1 helped with Majora's Mask 3D, so perhaps they're working on another port/remake right now? There are no shortage of Wii U games to port to Switch, that's for sure.

Also, some teams have to be working on mobile and 3DS still, right? Anyone have a possible breakdown handy?

Top Bottom