• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pregnant woman ran down a fleeing man 'who stole purse from her car' in Walmart

There's a chunk of GAF that has no sympathy for criminals. I assume most of them are American, considering how messed up our justice system is.

I don't have sympathy for the thief. I just think potentially losing a civilian law suit for huge medical cost is extremely stupid. Pregnant or not.

DBT85

I think the general rule of thumb is that you can only legally shoot at someone when your life is seemingly in danger. So if someone is running away from you unarmed you would have no justification to shoot.

He'd likely need to be IN the car and present adequate danger for some form of castle doctrine to fly.

If he just grabbed it an ran? Probably not okay. Probably would be okay if he threatened her.

I'm no criminal justice lawyer though.

This is what I'm wondering. If she comes back to the car and see's him, pulls a gun and he drops the purse and runs, not ok. If he posed a threat, probably ok. Since she was pregnant that threat isn't going to need to be that high to get itchy with the trigger I wouldn't have thought. If she was police, him running with the purse would easily have been enough to shoot him.

Don't know how I'd react in that situation. Though I'm not pregnant so I'd probably rugby tackle or run away myself. Can't honestly say that a few extra kicks wouldn't have gone in after I'd caught him though. Still not as harsh as actually running him over of course.

I'd totally run away

Thewonandonly

Oh she literally ran someone down with her car

I thought she like, RAN to catch up to him, which made me confused with her being arrested for assault.
Right that's what I thought to.

Was expecting a fat lady to waddle as fast as she can and catch the criminal....

Nope she just fucking destroys him with her care like I had the same reaction as the man "holy shit"!!!!

zeemumu

So what would be the appropriate reaction to watching someone steal your stuff? (Not saying running him over is ok)

QIqgL3L.gif

Abounder

Banned
Stupid all around, especially risking a pregnancy for that

Hopefully this at least takes that 1999 Explorer clunker off the road...godspeed baby

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
This is what I'm wondering. If she comes back to the car and see's him, pulls a gun and he drops the purse and runs, not ok. If he posed a threat, probably ok. Since she was pregnant that threat isn't going to need to be that high to get itchy with the trigger I wouldn't have thought. If she was police, him running with the purse would easily have been enough to shoot him.

Don't know how I'd react in that situation. Though I'm not pregnant so I'd probably rugby tackle or run away myself. Can't honestly say that a few extra kicks wouldn't have gone in after I'd caught him though. Still not as harsh as actually running him over of course.

I'd totally run away

Well police aren't suppose to shoot unless they or someone else is in danger either. Cops aren't supposed to just have a license to shoot people at will.

Cels

i'd have run after the guy and tackled him, and then when i failed (cause i'd probably fail, i haven't tackled anyone since hs football over 10 years ago) i would call the police

although the guy in this video doesn't look particularly fast. maybe i could take him

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Do people at least agree he should have gotten his ass kicked?

Gotten his ass kicked for stealing ? Sure. But that's a good ass whopping that's well deserved. Getting run over, possibly crushed to death by a vehicle, no.

Hell, I'd say even an ass whopping can get out of hand, if someone is able to catch up with the guy, the best thing would be to pin him down and restrain him with force if needed until the police arrives.

I don't condone her actions, but I don't feel sorry for laughing.

”Not saying what she did was right, according to the letter of the law, but when you decide to commit a crime against another person, you do assume a certain amount of risk that that person may be crazier than you, and, as in this case, run you over with a red-orange SUV...He played a stupid game and they both won a stupid prize," Dave Conklin wrote.

That's a pretty good take on the situation.

Dynomutt

I'd totally run away

I would not run someone over especially if I could prevent it. But getting robbed is no joke that is some degrading shit. Short of kids being stupid or the robber not having a knife or gun they're catching lumps. But if you tried to rob me and your a grown ass man the onus is not on me they took a risk and I one of those people who might be crazier than they are.

We use to throw house parties in college and charge for entrance. Once caught some dude trying to shove a laptop down his jeans. This idiot just stood there and then tried to bolt past me. I proceeded to help him out by kicking him down a flight of stairs and then we stomped his ass out at the bottom. Then we called the cops.

She shouldn't have done that and i think she needs more than just a slap on the wrist, but I gotta admit i enjoyed seeing the thief get ran over.

Oh she literally ran someone down with her car

I thought she like, RAN to catch up to him, which made me confused with her being arrested for assault.

Yeah my brain was confused on being confronted of that gif in the OP. Thought this pregnant lady was sprinting like an athlete or something.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yeah my brain was confused on being confronted of that gif in the OP. Thought this pregnant lady was sprinting like an athlete or something.

Sorry guys, I edited the first post's subject, would appreciate if any resident mod can change the topic title to reflect the same.

Original title came from a source I didn't know was banned so I had to edit the whole OP.

Zee-Row

Banned
Gotten his ass kicked for stealing ? Sure. But that's a good ass whopping that's well deserved. Getting run over, possibly crushed to death by a vehicle, no.

Hell, I'd say even an ass whopping can get out of hand, if someone is able to catch up with the guy, the best thing would be to pin him down and restrain him with force if needed until the police arrives.

Ok because people here give me the impression that doing anything to someone stealing is bad. Sure you can leave it in the hands of the law but as we've seen with people getting wrongfully shot by cops that the law is flawed and bias to certain people.

E92 M3

I'd acquit her in a second. That asshole will think twice next time.

I am also a big fan of the castle doctrine which probably can't be used a defense here.

DBT85

Well police aren't suppose to shoot unless they or someone else is in danger either. Cops aren't supposed to just have a license to shoot people at will.

Oh I know they aren't supposed to. But we all know that the police man would say stop or I'll shoot, and when the guy keeps running he gets shot. This is assuming he gets given the courtesy of a warning.

wow the responses in this thread are amazing .. Gaf really is a wonderful place. I guarantee if it was in another part of the world and the story was

"man stole loaf of bread and has hand severed by law enforcement"

You guys would be in arms and calling it a backwards country . Bur thief steals purse and is almost murdered.. you guys don't have no sympathy.

I mean it's easy to sit behind your keyboard and think.. She should have called the police or his life isn't worth the contents of her purse. These are true and logical statements.

Try putting yourself in her shoes. She's pregnant so hormones are doing weird things to her emotions. Maybe she going through a rough time with other aspects of her life. Now she dealing with someone that broke into her car and stole her purse. That makes you feel vulnerable. That's enough to flip a switch in your head.

Not saying what she did was right. But I understand.

E92 M3

wow the responses in this thread are amazing .. Gaf really is a wonderful place. I guarantee if it was in another part of the world and the story was

You guys would be in arms and calling it a backwards country . Bur thief steals purse and is almost murdered.. you guys don't have no sympathy.

I have negative sympathy for criminals.

Budi

Yeah really surprising to see so many people in favor of possible death penalty for STEALING. Or any serious life long impediment.

Nydius

So basically the robber gets off free with all your stuff? Lol Cops never actually catch these people. Then you leave them out there to victimize more people.

Even if what you said was 100% accurate (it isn't), none of what you wrote justifies vigilante justice, or her response of using her three ton vehicle as a weapon.

Situations like this is why laws and police exist. Polite society decided generations ago that wild west justice was no longer desirable.

Steel

Banned
The law doesn't matter. Depends on how good your lawyer is, really.

Sorry, I didn't spell out what I meant. There was an article not long ago detailing where a state, in an attempt to guilt women out of abortions, would make abortions murder but also make it so that women couldn't go to jail for that murder, which accidentally made it legal for pregnant women to murder people.

So what would be the appropriate reaction to watching someone steal your stuff? (Not saying running him over is ok)

You can call the police and then wait at least 15 minutes for them to get there. Then by the time they get your statement and maybe have you sit with a sketch artist about half your day is gone. They'll never catch him; maybe if he's stupid enough to try it again in the same parking lot, but regardless your valuables will be gone forever.

Honestly the smartest reaction would be to take the L and make your way over to the DMV for a new license. Going after them yourself would be risky and calling the police would be a colossal waste of time.

lol this country has more protection and sympathy for criminals than victims of crimes. if the police showed up and handcuffed or shot the dude there'd be protests.

If you're going to attempt to steal from somebody then you need to be prepared to face the consequences. Without knowing his backstory and reason for stealing I can't say I feel bad for him. Stealing from a pregnant woman? Good on her for showing some fight.

Yah, good on her for trying to killa guy for stealing her fucking purse. A purse is not worth someone's life.

Fuck him for being a thief, but triple fuck her for being a fucking psychopath. I already feel bad for her child.

liquidtmd

Banned
She had a heat of the moment response to a theft.

She isn't right for running him down. At all. But it's heat of the moment irrationality to a horrible act. She is being dealt with by the authorities under those circumstances.

Should she have done it? No, though that surge of emotion and adrenaline given the context, it makes you consider many things like it.

I hope the guys ok and they charge him according to his crime, and I hope likewise for the woman.

Top Bottom