• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

President Barack Obama preparing to issue Executive Order on gun control

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all for more extensive background checks when trying to acquire a gun. I was stunned at how mundane the process was when I bought my gun. It was like buying produce, but instead of an apple it was a Glock.
I was in and out of the gun shop in twenty minutes with a shiny new gun, 3 boxes of ammo, and 2 extra mags. 10/10 would casually shop for instruments of death again.

commedieu

Banned
First stage of sharia law.

شريعة‎[[ACTIVATED]]شريعة‎

JordanN

Banned
I'm still think it's hilarious that these people think the fat asses of wal-mart will be able to wage guerilla warfare against the United States military, if they had some tyrant wanting to take their guns.

There's no solving the gun problem in America, it's going to rip the nation apart.

A real tyrant would just use the thousands of nuclear missiles the U.S has stored away if any gun owner seriously thought about putting together a militia and waging war with the government.

And don't say "it can't be done". Look at Saddam Hussein or Assad.

Piggus

It's amazing (in the worst possible way) that anyone would have a problem with it.

And yet I'm pretty sure my Facebook feed will be a fucking mess lol.

I think it's mostly mega anti-government people who think any gun law is a slippery slope to a ban. The shop owner who sold me an AR spent a good 10 minutes calling the ATF a bunch of "motherfucking cocksuckers" because the system was backed up and going slow. The shop also refused to use Oregon's much faster, more reliable system out of fear that I'd be put on some kind of list lol. Those are the kind of people against these laws. They're generally not terrible people, but their views on the issue are extreme.

You don't need a fucking AR. But - before I preach to you about something you most definitely know way more about than myself - what does one do with such a toy?
Have you ever gone to an archery range? Target practice is tons of fun. ARs are typically easy to aim and shoot, and are thus great guns to take to the range. They are also great for hunting, another American tradition that hundreds of thousands of people take part in each year.
Why are you the arbiter of what hobbies people can have?
Only a tiny fraction of gun crimes involve a gun that was purchased legally/registered. It's not like hobbyists are going out and shooting up movie theaters... The people doing crimes with these guns are almost always not the registered owner.

Halcyon

It's amazing (in the worst possible way) that anyone would have a problem with it.

And yet I'm pretty sure my Facebook feed will be a fucking mess lol.

I believe the argument is that if you require all private transfers of firearms to perform background checks, the only way to enforce it would be for the firearms to become registered which is what they have a problem with.

Registry can then be used to confiscate said firearms. Hence "Obama's comin for ur gunz"

MrHoot

First stage of sharia law.

شريعة‎[[ACTIVATED]]شريعة‎

order66.jpg

Carcetti

Well I can't argue with that. I didn't buy it because I needed it, I bought it because I wanted it.

There's the real issue. Lots of people get shot up because having any sort of minor control on people's toys is somehow a satanic dictatorship.

The other issue is that Americans have clearly demonstrated they can't handle their guns safely vs any other country with high amount of guns.

PBY

Banned
Have you ever gone to an archery range? Target practice is tons of fun. ARs are typically easy to aim and shoot, and are thus great guns to take to the range. They are also great for hunting, another American tradition that hundreds of thousands of people take part in each year.
Only a tiny fraction of gun crimes involve a gun that was purchased legally/registered. It's not like hobbyists are going out and shooting up movie theaters... The people doing crimes with these guns are almost always not the registered owner.

I'm not the arbiter. I'm just curious what the countervailing use of guns is, when balanced against the near-daily slaughter we see in this country.

Good to know we're ignoring these deaths for the sake of protecting target practice.

gcubed

I believe the argument is that if you require all private transfers of firearms to perform background checks, the only way to enforce it would be for the firearms to become registered which is what they have a problem with.

Registry can then be used to confiscate said firearms. Hence "Obama's comin for ur gunz"

Jumping from registering firearms to confiscation is a morally bankrupt and childish argument (not aimed at you, aimed at the people who make that argument)... at that point its like trying to have a conversation with people who say letting gays marry means that you can marry farm animals.

Piggus

There's the real issue. Lots of people get shot up because having any sort of minor control on people's toys is somehow a satanic dictatorship.

Even if it were harder to get (which I said I would support), it wouldn't change the fact that I would buy it for hobby purposes rather than some need for defense or something.

PBY

Banned
Even if it were harder to get (which I said I would support), it wouldn't change the fact that I would buy it for hobby purposes rather than some need for defense or something.

If I showed you statistical evidence indicating that if hobbyists were to give up their guns, gun homicides in America would certainly be reduced- would you be willing to turn in your guns?

iamblades

You don't need a fucking AR. But - before I preach to you about something you most definitely know way more about than myself - what does one do with such a toy?

The AR is the most versatile rifle ever made, so pretty much anything you want. Target shooting, hunting of almost all small and medium game ( throw in most big game if you count AR10s) with the various calibers you can get uppers for. With frangible ammunition it's a better home defense weapon than a shotgun or a handgun. Can be customized to fit you no matter what kind of ergonomics you prefer. It would be basically the perfect rifle design if it weren't for the buffer tube that eliminates folding stocks and decent pistol ergos. That and the standard ar trigger is shit, but that's easily remedied.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
While I am absolutely in favor of tighter gun control, I am not in favor of executive action on this front. Regardless of how mundane this executive order is, it plays rigtpht into the hands of the NRA and basically confirms (at least in the minds of the gun rights activists) that Obama is trying to unilaterally take away their guns (even if in reality, this is simply improving background checks).
ffs, Obama just standing there being president "plays right into the hands of the NRA". There hasn't been one legitimate attempt to ban all guns or repeal the 2nd amendment in this country and yet the NRA has been banging that drum for decades, successfully getting away with crying wolf over and over again even though none ever materializes.

But if your biggest concern really remains some modest exec order proposed by Obama, look on the bright side - maybe it'll finally force Congress to take some action on gun control.

Then you're a piece of shit. And I don't say that lightly.

That's mean.

I'm not going turn in my guns until other gun nuts continue to drive me towards that decision, or the government calls for it. And I'll do either peacefully because I'm not that super serious about having them.

Piggus

If I showed you statistical evidence indicating that if hobbyists were to give up their guns, gun homicides in America would certainly be reduced- would you be willing to turn in your guns?

Nope.

Then you're a piece of shit. And I don't say that lightly.

Why, because he doesn't want to just hand in thousands of dollars worth of property after doing literally nothing wrong? Most people don't support hypothetical legislation that punishes the the 99.9% for the actions of the 0.1%. I would much rather we try to come up with solutions that target the perpetrators of crimes.

RPGCrazied

You are probably in a losing battle trying to compromise with the pro gun crowd.

I'm glad my hobbies don't include shooting guns. I will never own one, hold one.

Halcyon

Also things like this gun:

Which looks like a little toy hunting rifle not all that far off from a BB gun can basically function similarly to an AR-15 with a few more bits of plastic thrown on it.

I don't know why everyone loses their shit over AR-15's like they are military grade hardware. They're just a rifle with black bits on it.

PBY

Banned
Just quoting this for when a moderator inevitably wanders in here.

You don't think a person in my hypothetical is a piece of shit?

Maybe you didn't understand what I proposed/the question, because my intent was not to name call - I'm saying that if I could definitively show you that if you gave up your hobby you could save lives, you wouldn't do it?

Sad thing is this is the mentality of the people we are dealing with. People like you are willing to sacrifice their fellow citizens lives to make sure they aren't further inconvenienced when trying to attain their precious guns.

Assume much? I will never support the outright disarmament of the American population: that does not mean I am against sweeping regulatory reforms that dramatically reduce the ease with which people acquire firearms.

Jonm1010

Banned
Assume much? I will never support the outright disarmament of the American population: that does not mean I am against sweeping regulatory reforms that dramatically reduce the ease with which people acquire firearms.
But that wasn't the question, the question was with regards to hobbyists. People purchasing these guns solely for hobby purposes.

But that wasn't the question, the question was with regards to hobbyists. People purchasing these guns solely for hobby purposes.

And my answer to that question couldn't have been any clearer.

Do you believe that motorcycles should be legal? They are purely recreational and their owners are at much higher risk of death than the average driver. They legitimately do nothing that is necessary that could not be done by a 4-wheel automobile.

Sure. If you showed me compelling evidence that the homicide rate would decrease beyond the typical margin of error for such a statistic as a direct result of the reduction of legal guns in American homes, I'd be all for it. The thing is, in cities like Chicago they've already placed stringent controls on the availability of guns, yet their homicide rate has only decreased by 17% as opposed to the national 25% decrease. In fact, the US has a relatively low homicide rate, historically speaking, despite gun ownership being at a historical high.

I believe that taking guns from those who legally purchased them won't drastically reduce gun crimes, as the perpetrators of those crimes aren't getting their guns through legal means. These gun control measures won't impact them whatsoever. The gun suicide rate would likely decrease, though.

Bsigg12

The overwhelming majority of death or injury from guns are caused by handguns. I wouldn't give up my shotgun or rifle because I like to hunt. If anything, more restrictions on handguns should be set in place because they are concealable.

I'm saying that if I could definitively show you that if you gave up your hobby you could save lives, you wouldn't do it?

Would you? I mean, if we're playing this game: You're on a video game enthusiast forums, so I assume electronic gaming is a hobby you share. Electronics built basically using slave labor at Foxconn. And don't get me started on the source of many of those materials coming from similar slave like conditions in Africa.

Blader

Great idea. So now, not only do you get shot to death by the police, but you've actually justified their response for doing so!

Do you believe that motorcycles should be legal? They are purely recreational and their owners are at much higher risk of death than the average driver. They legitimately do nothing that is necessary that could not be done by a 4-wheel automobile.

I think the problem with your example is that motorcycle owners are largely putting only their own lives at risk for their hobby.

PBY

Banned

Does a motorcycle endanger everyone else around it in a way that a gun does?

Sai-kun

Banned
Would you? I mean, if we're playing this game: You're on a video game enthusiast forums, so I assume electronic gaming is a hobby you share. Electronics built basically using slave labor at Foxconn. And don't get me started on the source of many of those materials coming from similar slave like conditions in Africa.

this is such a boring route to take his hypothetical :/

Does a motorcycle endanger everyone else around it in a way that a gun does?
Can you show me statistical evidence that guns do what you propose, or is it just pretty rhetoric that makes you feel good?
For clarification because you couldn't parse your own 1 sentence post: you claim that simply having guns around endangers everyone else. Prove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom