• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

President Trump has sent private messages of appreciation to Bob Mueller

Zolo

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...e-messages-special-counsel-mueller/547917001/

WASHINGTON – President Trump has publicly called the widening federal investigation into Russia's election meddling a "witch hunt." But through his lawyer, Trump has sent private messages of "appreciation" to special counsel Robert Mueller.

"He appreciates what Bob Mueller is doing,'' Trump's chief counsel John Dowd told USA TODAY in an interview Tuesday. "He asked me to share that with him and that's what I've done.''

Trump's legal team has been in contact with Mueller's office, and Dowd says he has passed along the president's messages expressing “appreciation and greetings’’ to the special counsel.

“The president has sent messages back and forth,’’ Dowd said, declining to elaborate further.

Even so, Trump's private communications represent a "striking" contradiction with his public condemnations of the Russia investigation, said Jimmy Gurule, a former assistant attorney general in the George H.W. Bush administration.

"It's an extreme position to go from hateful statements to this," Gurule said. "What would cause him to change his mind?"

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So he's giving Mueller the very evidence he needs to make the case for obstruction?

That's a bold move Cotton, let's see how it works out for him.

This-Levitating-Chess-Set-Will-Freak-You-Out.jpg

Send Nukes

Nevermind, I can't even compete with this...

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
honey catches the same amount of indictments as vinegar.

guess it finally sunk in that bullying tactics won't work and firing isn't an option, so now he's thinks being friendly will benefit him.

It's all corporate/business bullshit that just isn't going to work in this world

FyreWulff

Isn't Trump prohibited from contacting the special counsel?

probably is lying to try and look like the investigation is being tained by him as a hail mary

I wouldn't be surprised if Mueller is just straight up not answering any phone these days

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
"If it's possible, would you let me know, am I under investigation?"

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
guess it finally sunk in that bullying tactics won't work and firing isn't an option, so now he's thinks being friendly will benefit him.

It's all corporate/business bullshit that just isn't going to work in this world

Several months later at 3 am in the morning:

"I was nice to Mueller and THIS is how he treats me? Sad"

IMO this highlights the disconnect between him and his legal counsel we've heard reported.

Yep, since Ty Cobb came onboard with the defense team, they've been working to normalize relations with the special counsel office which you can see in their public statements.

This has nothing to do with Trump's mood, it's the result of expensive lawyers trying to paint their client in a more favorable light.

WedgeX

Banned
probably is lying to try and look like the investigation is being tained by him as a hail mary

I wouldn't be surprised if Mueller is just straight up not answering any phone these days

Mueller, when aides tell him someone is on the phone:

qULrWfc.gif

kevin1025

Banned
I don't think sweet talking Mueller is going to make him go easy, haha.

"Oh, he said I'm nice! Well, I'll just overlook these several hundred crimes I've uncovered. What a nice man!"

The other thing to remember: why believe this dude? He could be setting up his own collusion, that Mueller and Trump are speaking and so it's tainted.

Top Bottom