• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

President's lawyers may offer Mueller a meeting with Trump

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/12/trump-mueller-meeting-russia-243692

Donald Trump’s lawyers are open to having the president sit down for an interview with Robert Mueller, according to a senior White House official, as part of a wider posture of cooperation with the special counsel’s Russia probe.

If Mueller doesn’t request an interview by Thanksgiving, Trump’s lawyers may even force the issue by volunteering Trump’s time, the official said. The White House believes such an interview could help Mueller wrap up the probe faster and dispel the cloud of suspicion over Trump.

A meeting with Mueller could bring serious risks for Trump—exposing him to questions about everything from potential obstruction of justice over his firing of FBI Director James Comey to what Trump might know about Kremlin support for his presidential campaign.

But the official suggested that the White House has no reason to stonewall Mueller.

“Whatever happens with regard to whether or not, or how, the special counsel might want to interview the president, there’s no reason to expect that would be combative,” the senior White House official explained.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
tenor.gif

Please record it.

Trump would stonewall any questions. He's done this before. When he was subpoenaed to testify years back about either fixing rent or some other illegal act with his businesses, he played dumb for like 3 hours of testimony. Like, literally acted like he couldn't remember what type of toothpaste he uses.

That's a worryingly confident thing to do.

Unless Mueller is selling it as needing cooperation from Trump to nag someone else like Manafort.

Steejee

Yes, please do. You're already the worst lawyers I've seen in years, setting up this interview could mark you as the worst ever.

Please record it.

Trump would stonewall any questions. He's done this before. When he was subpoenaed to testify years back about either fixing rent or some other illegal act with his businesses, he played dumb for like 3 hours of testimony. Like, literally acted like he couldn't remember what type of toothpaste he uses.

"I don't recall".

kevin1025

Banned
So the guy who is more concerned about sandwiches and seems mighty forgetful in depositions, you want him to answer questions? The dude even messed up under oath about proofreading his own damn books.

Godspeed.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
omg this is like the criminal who thinks he's super smart and can talk his way out of anything, but is really just going to incriminate himself.

LiK

Trump trying to win over Mueller is gonna be delicious if he says anything that may get him in trouble.

He's probably imagining being able to go and just ask something like "We're good right?" and then Mueller would say "Yes. You aren't under investigation. You can go."

He's got no idea what it would really be like.

DeviantBoi

That's something Trump would tell his lawyers to set up, despite them telling him that it's stupid.

Trump probably believes that he's the smooth-talking, brilliant negotiator that he keeps saying he is... probably thinks he can talk his way out of the whole thing.

Mueller should turn him down.

"No, thank you, we have what we need."

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
I'm no lawyer, but I've watched a lot of lawyer and cop shows on tv and this seems like a setup for that one meeting or interrogation in every episode where the criminal ends up incriminating themselves.

kaskade

Pretty sure mueller would just deny it. Trump just wants to to seem like he has nothing to hide, exactly what he was doing with Comey which Comey even felt was highly unorthodox.

Zolo

Pretty sure mueller would just deny it. Trump just wants to to seem like he has nothing to hide, exactly what he was doing with Comey which Comey even felt was highly unorthodox.

Yeah. I imagine Mueller likely wouldn't accept it.

"I am...the moooost innocent person you have ever met. Honestly. All friends think so. I tell you. I was talking to my friend Put-"

*White house aid hurls himself at the President."

So the only thing I can think of is perhaps the administration believe the longer it goes on the closer they are to incrimination. Then by extension believe they can help bring it to a head sooner this way and rush the FBI along.

Either that or he's surrounded by people who hate him and are trying to speed up his demise.

Top Bottom