• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Press Play: Xbox One GPU "very capable", will be competitive for many years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slappers Only

I'm a PS4 owner and I want to feel good about its marginally higher specs compared to its closest competitor. This topic is not helping me.

I suppose accepting that both systems aren't anything close to state-of-the-art and moving on is probably best.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm only grouping them together because for now there is parity. Killzone and what we've seen from DriveClub is there with the PCs graphical showcases.

Once the Witcher 3 drops....
If thats your criteria, then the Xbox is on par too, because of Ryse.

You're going to have to try harder than that. You know they didn't have a finished console to develop on right? You have seen the many upcoming game announcements yes?

You are just baiting people into your console wars. You enjoy the system you have and feel smug about it all you want. I will enjoy gaming as I have for the last 15 years. Good luck in your warring my warrior!

Ermm... ok.

I'm a PS4 owner and I want to feel good about its marginally higher specs compared to its closest competitor. This topic is not helping me.

I suppose accepting that both systems aren't anything close to state-of-the-art and moving on is probably best.

You should be proud of a launch game like Killzone, looks stunning, is 1080p and for the most part very smooth. Imagine how the future games will look...

We on Xbone have nothing like that

Slappers Only

You should be proud of a launch game like Killzone, looks stunning, is 1080p and for the most part very smooth. Imagine how the future games will look...

We on Xbone have nothing like that
Credit to the devs at Guerilla. And I know that good devs targeting exclusive platforms have the capacity to keep these machines competitive regardless of their limitations long into the future.

JordanN

Banned
MS and MS-studios clearly wants to keep the specs-debate/comparisons going. Don't understand why, though.
Same reason why we see Wii U defenders make snappy remarks against PS4/XBO even if the console is far weaker. It's a balancing act to make one system seem better than it really is.

Why is it that in every thread were a dev or someone else in the industry says something positive about the Xbox One, without even downplaying the competition, it is filled with people who feel the need to point out that there are stronger machines out there?

Because console wars need to be warred and won...everyone on the Sony side who feels the need to point out at in every "positive" XOne thread that it's all lies will get a cookie for it.

theytookourjobz

Same reason why we see Wii U defenders make snappy remarks against PS4/XBO even if the console is far weaker. It's a balancing act to make one system seem better than it really is.

"Weaker" and "better" are on totally different scales. 3D World is "better" than any exclusive XB1 or PS4 title and it's on the "weakest" console.

omonimo

Banned
Because console wars need to be warred and won...everyone on the Sony side will get a cookie for it.

Come on now everytime this bullshit. Xbone cost 499 & it less powerful of the cheaper more powerful ps4, in what world you can call competitive a more expensive console with a worst gpu? What they have said it's stupid, gpu it's not competitive if the price is higher. Maybe at 299 we can concur.

Alchemy

Its funny, the only reason there is still this tech discussion is because Microsoft won't let it go. We've known since E3 when Microsoft themselves commented on purposefully not targeting the highest end graphics possible that the Xbone would be slightly behind the curve. Microsoft needs to be discussing games and features, shift the discussion away from an obvious weakness.

omonimo

Banned
Its funny, the only reason there is still this tech discussion is because Microsoft won't let it go. We've known since E3 when Microsoft themselves commented on purposefully not targeting the highest end graphics possible that the Xbone would be slightly behind the curve. Microsoft needs to be discussing games and features, shift the discussion away from an obvious weakness.

Good point.

JaggedSac

We don't need that snark in here. Consoles are serious business.

MS didn't bright up...? An interviewer asked them a question and they answered. And then if an interviewer asks then another question about it and ignore it, or say "no comment", then they get chastised for that from people also. Come on...damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Don't doubt it's capable. It's just less capable than what the competition has is all.

MS devs need to let go of spec damage control and just focus on their games. Raking over the same issues again does no one any favours. Why are the media still going on about it, even?

Don't doubt it's capable. It's just less capable than what the competition has is all.

MS devs need to let go of spec damage control and just focus on their games. Raking over the same issues again does no one any favours.
I think you need to direct that towards the journalists who keep asking them spec questions then, they are answering what is asked of them, it's not like they are just bringing it up randomly...or at least in this case with Press Play.

Edit: just saw your last sentence, either I didn't see it before or I'm going crazy haha, sorry :(

omonimo

Banned
MS didn't bright up...? An interviewer asked them a question and they answered. And then if an interviewer asks then another question about it and ignore it, or say "no comment", then they get chastised for that from people also. Come on...

It's not what he said. MS can simply 'admit' X1 is not though for the graphic but for more important achievement, end of the story. It's not that tough.

timlot

Banned
Come on now everytime this bullshit. Xbone cost 499 & it less powerful of the cheaper more powerful ps4, in what world you can call competitive a more expensive console with a worst gpu? What they have said it's stupid, gpu it's not competitive if the price is higher. Maybe at 299 we can concur.

You act like to two are performing the same task. My XB1 controls my entire tv entertainment. Its on 10-12 hrs a day as I watch tv, play games or do both at the same time. That "less powerful" argument is a little simplistic. Less GPU capabilty? Yes. System as a whole? Naw.

theytookourjobz

You act like to two are performing the same task. My XB1 controls my entire tv entertainment. Its on 10-12 hrs a day as I watch tv, play games or do both at the same time. That "less powerful" argument is a little simplistic. Less GPU capabilty? Yes. System as a whole? Naw.

It's all about the GAMES man!! I mean not actually playing the games obviously but about arguing on the internet which machine has the prettier looking ones.

omonimo

Banned

Look the OP. It's not that the matter.

A lof of people would disagree, but its fun to push agendas.

I, for one, have owned PS4 and played and almost finished Killzone shadowfall before I sold it.

Now I own Xbox one and the first game I played was Ryse on it. I've finished it and can easily say I wasnt impressed after playing killzone.

Killzone>>Ryse any day of the week

You can disagree all you want :)

ypo

A lof of people would disagree, but its fun to push agendas.

Sure sure some can disagree but the fact is it's running at 900p and sub-30 fps a lot of times. Yea yea you can always use the *aesthetically speaking* defense, but aesthetically Super Mario on the NES is more pleasing than Ryse so...aesthetics... seems to be pretty popular amongst those with agendas though.

I, for one, have owned PS4 and played and almost finished Killzone shadowfall before I sold it.

Now I own Xbox one and the first game I played was Ryse on it. I've finished it and can easily say I wasnt impressed after playing killzone.

Killzone>>Ryse any day of the week

You can disagree all you want :)

If youre going to trash Ryse on fram rate and visuals, theres no way you played Killzone multiplayer.

gatisimo

Ryse looks worse than killzone, is 900p and has major fps problems

I dunno. I showcase both systems to friends and acquaintances who come by; some gamers, some not, and every single one has been most impressed by Ryse. That's the one title they come back to and say "wow that looked incredible." To be fair, none of the gamer friends are hardcore console fans, so they don't know about 720/900/1080p or anything like that, but they are aware of PS4's superior specs.

If I had to choose, I think Ryse is the more visually impressive title, but Killzone is also spectacular to look at. Neither game is incredible insofar as gameplay goes, but I think Ryse also offers a more unique experience there as well. It's more cinematic, and is a little more "different," in that there are less titles that look and play like it. With KZ being a first-person shooter, it has more "peers," if you will.

Seanspeed

Banned
Maybe just in the first part, but Ryse it's definitely 900p & quite unstable in the fps.
Whether its 900p or not doesnt mean much if it still looks amazing.

Besides, using resolution/framerate as a strict criteria, then PS4 isnt on par with PC because it can do 1440p and 120fps. I can keep playing this game all day.

In our world. Apple anyone?

Whether its 900p or not doesnt mean much if it still looks amazing.

Besides, using resolution/framerate as a strict criteria, then PS4 isnt on par with PC because it can do 1440p and 120fps. I can keep playing this game all day.

What does PC have to do with PS4/XB1 comparisons that were clearly being discussed though? Just makes it look like you know he's correct by moving your goalposts like that.

Besides, very few PCs could come close to meeting what you've listed above in any game on par with either Ryse or Killzone SF.

I think you need to direct that towards the journalists who keep asking them spec questions then, they are answering what is asked of them, it's not like they are just bringing it up randomly...or at least in this case with Press Play.

Edit: just saw your last sentence, either I didn't see it before or I'm going crazy haha, sorry :(

Actually I edited the last part in for clarity after seeing your post above mine ;)

No, I haven't. Isn't the MP 60 fps tho? So whats wrong with it?

Its unstable as hell and has seemingly zero AA. The 'flexible' framerate is distractingly noticeable, textures are grainy, loads of aliasing.

Not what Iexpected based on online commentary. I actually like looking at warframe andblacklight more despite their simpler textures.

Iwas quite disappointed first time round as i played mp first. SP is much better but its not going to be played much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom