• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Press Play: Xbox One GPU "very capable", will be competitive for many years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Translation: "I can't get away with claiming the game is legitimately bad by any stretch but I'll be damned if I don't make my highly subjective opinion sound as scathing as possible!!!"

It is a pretty mediocre game though.

Theres not much new or special about it to experience at all. To the point where it single handedly made me bored of my ps4 within a few days of getting it.

[
8_by_raziel1992-d6ubnne.gif

*drops mic*

The best parts of Ryse graphically include the intricate facial rigging and animations, armor physics, and some of the lighting, far and away. The rest of the game graphically looks like an updated God of War from last gen, which is definitely a good thing.

Respawn

Banned
Isn't it strange that people show public outrage whenever a person has anything positive to say about the XB1s performance when asked about the XB1s performance?

The fact that a person is not even allowed to call the XB1 "capable", not "amazing" or "superior" but just "capable", just shows how stupid things have really become.

Some people just seem like they really need to be told over and over again that the PS4 is more powerful or something and any acknowledgement of any other platforms capability is an unacceptable concept.
I have to agree and this is coming from a mainly PS4 player.

What's been 'new' or 'special' about any new gen game so far exactly?

Forza 5s rumble triggers are quite a different experience imo. It makes it different than any other console racer.

Battfield having 64 players on console.

Dead Risings lots of zombies with no loading screens except when you die.

Stuff that changes the game that provides new experiences not possible last gen.

Killzone doesnt really do do anything new. Its a shooter. Its okay, but its still arun around and shoot people shooter.

TheD

The Detective
Yeah, 360 version of games with low framerates, low resolution, low effects, low texture detail, low shadows etc were definitely competitive with their PC versions!

Especially if your definition of "competitive" is flexible.

Yeah, claiming that the 360's GPU was "competitive for many years" and using that as a base for how the XB1 will do the same is really pushing it.
The 360's GPU was only competitive for a few years and that was because it was both quite powerful for it's time and it had more advanced architecture than other GPUs, both things the XB1 does not have going for it.

Amir0x

Banned
what does 'competitive' mean? 360 and PS3 did not stay competitive for long at all so I'm not even sure his analysis of 360 is right.

If he just means getting an image that sort of looks from far away to the uninitiated like it can produce visuals in the same range, perhaps. If you even get remotely analytical the whole argument would fall apart - 360 and PS3 games from the get go were having problems hitting basic 720p resolution and massive framerate issues, visual effects in a whole 'nother ballpark.

To say nothing of the fact that the only reason EVEN THAT was possible was -only- because 360 and PS3 tech was actually holding back the average big PC development. When that was not the case, usually the games destroyed what was possible on 360 and PS3.

Every single X1 thread that has an ounce of good news lol

Yep, like clockwork...every thread, same people repeating the same nonsense. I honestly haven't been in a single PS4 thread talking nonsense or poking at the other side. You'd think now that the two devices have launched people would be playing or something.

Nope, same stuff people trying to convince us just how HORRIBLE the XOne is going to do. Because, you know, maths...

Yes, the GPU is good. The xbox one has some nice looking games and they will get better looking over time as every system before it has.

How are we still debating this stuff?

Amir0x

Banned
Yes, the GPU is good. The xbox one has some nice looking games and they will get better looking over time as every system before it has.

Because the comment is wrong. 360 and PS3 did -not- remain competitive with PC. It's bullshit. Bullshit is always pushed back against. It's not about whether XBO could conceivably have good looking titles, it'll have them, they just won't be competitive with the high end.

Paracelsus

They are claiming Halo 7 will look anywhere near as good as Uncharted 7, that's what, and I believe it's worth debating.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
It is a pretty mediocre game though.

Theres not much new or special about it to experience at all. To the point where it single handedly made me bored of my ps4 within a few days of getting it.
Single-handedly made you bored of the PS4 in its entirety?!? Gosh, not you too!

Yeah a bunch of really nice looking characters in so so environments. The game doesn't look as good as you make it out to be. And 900p 30fps isn't something to brag about.

Time to take a posting break. Calling out 'so so environments' in Ryse makes you look like a clueless fanboy.

jaypah

Because the comment is wrong. 360 and PS3 did -not- remain competitive with PC. It's bullshit. Bullshit is always pushed back against. It's not about whether XBO could conceivably have good looking titles, it'll have them, they just won't be competitive with the high end.

This would have been a better discussion point instead of "herp derp console warz". It would be impossible to honestly think that the 180 GPU would be competitive with high end PC GPUs. Hell, PS4 either. You can't stand still next to a constantly improving target and say "we're competitive".

P.S. The technical analyst here also told us that 1080p wouldn't fit into the frame buffer or something like that...so again, this is most likely BS.
Do you have a link to that GAF "analyst's" post, claiming Xbone couldn't do 1080p? Because I've never seen any Gaffers make such a claim. I've seen some people talk about how devs may need to sacrifice things like deferred rendering at 1080p due to the small amount of ESRAM.

Off the top of my head, ElTorro has been pretty vocal in discussing the tech in the Xbone. Here are a few of his posts talking about ESRAM limitations and its effect on games that target 1080p:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=82277913#post82277913
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=80376953#post80376953
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=87442342#post87442342
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=87582751#post87582751
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=87849166#post87849166

kpaadet

Meanwhile their own game won't be available in their own country as the Xbox is releasing at who knows when here in Scandinavia.

Piggus

The Xbone's GPU (or rather the PC equivent with almost exactly the same specs) wasn't competitive in early 2012 when it released and it certainly isn't competitive now. It's a lower-mid range budget GPU that will have to rely on cutting corners to compete.

The people complaining about negative reactions to good Xbone news should explain to us how this is "news." It not news, it's an opinion from a Microsoft-owned dev likely ONLY working on Xbone games.

Amir0x

Banned
This would have been a better discussion point instead of "herp derp console warz". It would be impossible to honestly think that the 180 GPU would be competitive with high end PC GPUs. Hell, PS4 either. You can't stand still next to a constantly improving target and say "we're competitive".

Yup. PS4 won't be competitive either with what good PCs are capable of. Now, even. In a year or two? Forget not being competitive, it'll just be another gen of consoles holding PCs back.

That's the true gauge of how wrong the comment is. Anyone who would say "XBO will never have good visuals because of its horrendously underpowered hardware" would obviously be wrong, it'll produce some pretty nice stuff despite the hardware limitations. So will PS4, even though those limitations are substantially less than XBO's, they're still behind the competitive curve on PC. But 'competitive'? Either he's going to have to redefine the terms of what he means there or he's just wrong.

Armaros

That didn't stop forum goers from saying that exact thing the entirety of last gen. The fabled $800+ computers that you needed to run 360 and PS3 cross-platform games at 6-8 years in the generation.

jaypah

Yup. PS4 won't be competitive either with what good PCs are capable of. Now, even. In a year or two? Forget not being competitive, it'll just be another gen of consoles holding PCs back.

That's the true gauge of how wrong the comment is. Anyone who would say "XBO will never have good visuals because of its horrendously underpowered hardware" would obviously be wrong, it'll produce some pretty nice stuff despite the hardware limitations. So will PS4, even though those limitations are substantially less than XBO's, they're still behind the competitive curve on PC. But 'competitive'? Either he's going to have to redefine the terms of what he means there or he's just wrong.

I agree. Funny thing is he's making that statement as if it's ok to just bend the definition of "competitive" until it snaps in half.

That didn't stop forum goers from saying that exact thing the entirety of last gen. The fabled $800+ computers that you needed to run 360 and PS3 cross-platform games at 6-8 years in the generation.

Undoubtedly. I was probably one of them until I got a PC. Hilarious how that works!

admartian

Why do I get the feeling that the XB1 is always getting articles to reassure people of these things?

Just relax either way - more powerful or not.

Amir0x

Banned
Let's be serious, Ryse does not look like a 360 game. That 360 gen is still here and we can clearly see the distinction, it's not time for people to "looks like a N64 game" these titles.

Edit: If you said maybe it PLAYED like a shitty 360 game, a poor man's Arkham City, you'd be closer to accurate :p

TTSupra

Banned
So many opinions. Don't know why people argue over them. We already know the facts so let these people play it out in their world.

You're technically right, BUT...

Most gamers don't have the stomach for the frequent upgrade cycle to stay "competitive." It's better for the industry to give consumers standardized hardware that lasts for 5-10 years, with it being "good enough" for most of that cycle.

It ensures that developers aren't CONSTANTLY chasing new tech and that a much wider audience can enjoy content, allowing more big (and small!) budget games to be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom