• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Press release: Nintendo sold 100M DS worldwide

Evlar

Banned
lynux3 said:
Someone's angry. I hope it's not the result of my previous comment. Shouldn't you be looking up more quotes and what not, skippy?
I would have thought we were past the stage of DS meltdowns.

Ezduo

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
pspwned.jpg
Nostalgia! I was still posting on Gamefaqs when this picture was getting spammed.

Tim-E

Shiggie said:
Can someone find the thread when the DS was revealed?

While not the same thing, this is a thread from 2004 with people talking about the DS.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27843

DS will NOT be the successor to the GBA and will NOT sell as many units as the GBA/GBASP have. That is very simply a fact.

DS? No. GBA2 on the other hand...

Let's face facts, Nintendo is full steam ahead with the GBA2 and it's going to more closely match the PSP in terms of graphical features.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
theBishop said:
What quality DS games are coming out soon? Maybe it'll be 100M+1.

This year so far:
Big Bang Mini
Retro Game Challenge
Dragon Quest V
Fire Emblem DS
Peggle
(Japan) 7th Dragon
(Japan) Game Center CX2

And the also-rans:
Moon
Elebits
Suikoden Tierkeris
Avalon Code
Puzzle Quest Galactrix

Coming up soon:
Henry Hatsworth
GTA DS
Rhythm Heaven
(Japan) 3d Picross
... and whatever launches on DSiWare.

Also-rans:
Valkyrie Profile DS
Flower, Sun, and Rain
FFCC2
Trackmania
(Japan) Space Invaders Extreme 2

donny2112

The Nintendo websites are blocked, and I can't see the graph. However, garaph.info has the PS2 at just under 120m. Where is the 150m PS2 number coming from?

DS_WW

lynux3

donny2112 said:
The Nintendo websites are blocked, and I can't see the graph. However, garaph.info has the PS2 at just under 120m. Where is the 150m PS2 number coming from?

DS_WW

It's definitely more than 120m. It's closer to 140m last time I checked.

Turrican3

Osuwari said:
so, no DS2 until when?
It's already here... well, more or less, that is.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/nintendo-dsi-article

Eurogamer.net said:
If you can see a pattern emerging, it crystallises further beneath the DSi's slender bonnet, where CPU speed doubles from 67MHz to 133MHz, there's 16MB RAM (four times as much as the DS or DS Lite), 256MB of internal flash memory for the first time, and enhanced Wi-Fi support (WPA and WPA2 security, most notably).

Chalk me up for a DSi when they launch, That'll be my household's 4th DS.

(I dropped my DS Lite and the hinge cracked. It's still intact, but it won't be long until it rips in two. Double Dip excuse 4TW.)

Evlar

Banned
I'm still pondering whether to buy a DSi or not. If I did it would be my fourth DS. My launch-week Phat was given to a friend when I picked up my launch-week Lite. That first Lite developed the hinge-crack problem after a year and a half so I bought a red-and-black Lite. It still works OK except two months ago I dropped it on pavement and the Power/Low Battery LED on the right side of the hinge doesn't work anymore.

Azure J

Woah, awesome stuff there Nintendo. I love the DS library, so rich & diverse. I can't wait to officially get my own through with the upcoming DSi, borrowing my little bro's DS Phat has been getting a little more than annoying at this point. :lol

Jme

For the record, the PSP was launched just 1 month after the DS in Japan.
And on Feb 13, 2009, SCEE announced that the PSP reached the 50 million "sell-in" mark. (Does that mean shipped or sold, I can't tell with the ambiguous phrasing)

So basically 2 DS's sold for every PSP, worldwide.

DeaconKnowledge said:
I could have sworn I saw a press release that said the PS2 was at 140 million.

From the article:
Sony told those attending the video game industry’s E3 convention last week that sales of its original PlayStation, launched in 1994, had reached 102m units and the PlayStation 2 console had now passed 140m worldwide in its ninth year on sale.

The article is from July 2008. So it's probably from E3 you remember it.

botticus

We might be mixing numbers together. I think the 140 million is the last worldwide number Sony stated from last E3, while more recently there was the announcement of 50 million PS2s in North America.

Slavik81

Osuwari said:
so, no DS2 until when?
The DSi seems to be a completely a backwards compatible successor to the DS, much like the GBC was a completely backwards compatible successor to the Gameboy.

Whether it's seen as the DS2 or not is more a matter of how they market it.

DarkMehm

botticus said:
We might be mixing numbers together. I think the 140 million is the last worldwide number Sony stated from last E3, while more recently there was the announcement of 50 million PS2s in North America.

No. That number you mentioned is production shipments. In this old method Sony counted every produced console shipped to their warehouses.

Meier

lynux3 said:
It's definitely more than 120m. It's closer to 140m last time I checked.
Not to say that isn't accurate, but where is the number coming from? The banned site? The PS2 hasn't been selling that well for the past 2 years (relatively speaking of course) and I don't recall it being nearly that high.

Xbox vs PS2 when both were shown together

"Xbox with pwn PS2"
"Next gen graphics are here, PS2 will suffer now"

DS vs PSP when both were shown together

"DS is LOL"
"PSP is going to slaughter DS with its graphics"

Wii vs PS360 when both were shown together

"360 will pwn Wii"
"Wii??? wtf? did they seriously name is 'WIII?' what in the world were they thinking'
"PS3 will destroy Wii, which gamer wants to play last gen graphics on a gimicky control scheme"

.... I see a pattern here

lynux3

Meier said:
Not to say that isn't accurate, but where is the number coming from? The banned site? The PS2 hasn't been selling that well for the past 2 years (relatively speaking of course) and I don't recall it being nearly that high.

Personally, I always go to look at chairmansteve since apparently he has access to these numbers. Someone already posted the approximate sales of PS2 as of December 2008, which was 136.32m.

Also, not too far above is an article that seems reliable enough. I guess we'll have to wait until E3 again to see how many units Sony has shipped. Sales should see a slight boost since Sony started selling PS2 in Latin America, correct?

Opiate

Meier said:

These are production shipments listed in Sony's financial releases. It's at ~138.6 million.

artredis1980 said:
Xbox vs PS2 when both were shown together

"Xbox with pwn PS2"
"Next gen graphics are here, PS2 will suffer now"

DS vs PSP when both were shown together

"DS is LOL"
"PSP is going to slaughter DS with its graphics"

Wii vs PS360 when both were shown together

"360 will pwn Wii"
"Wii??? wtf? did they seriously name is 'WIII?' what in the world were they thinking'
"PS3 will destroy Wii, which gamer wants to play last gen graphics on a gimicky control scheme"

.... I see a pattern here

lol, yeah the pattern is gaf usually is wrong in guessing the market leader

Koren

Still have to change my original DS, personally. It works perfectly fine.

I really, really, really think Nintendo underestimated the pull of attractive graphics.
I really, really, really think many overestimated the pull of attracted graphics, seeing Wii/DS success ;)

Haunted

Someone I trust clarify please.

We've got
garaph.info @ 120 million
chairmansteve(?) @ 136,2 million shipped (Dec 08)
Sony PR @ 140 million sold (July 08)
wiki (lol) @ 151 million

It's also kinda sad that I know some of the authors in Stump's post. I read too much classic GAF. >_<

itxaka

Defeatist
Segata Sanshiro said:
The sad thing is I think I can identify them without even looking. There are at least two drinky quotes in there, one drohne, and one very infamous quote from SonyCowboy.

Damn, Sonycowboy also predicted the wii to bomb. I guess he is not working as a gaming analyst xD

Deku

Banned
Well deserved 100 million for being the most awesome platform this generation.

And assuming a very conservative 5 m sell through in NA in just the 3 Xmas months in North America, 2 m in Japan and 5 m in Europe, that's 12 million in 3 months, not including April to to September sales. Including those you're looking at easily 125m installed based by Dec 31, 2009.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
itxaka said:
Damn, Sonycowboy also predicted the wii to bomb. I guess he is not working as a gaming analyst xD

actually, if he had predicted wii to be a massive success that would be more accurate.

Cdammen

_PsiFire_ said:
Wasn't PS2 at approx. 130M in June, 2008? It sold 20 million in 8 months?

Did you pull that 51M number out of an orifice down under or am I mistaken?
That's not far from the truth... Wikipedia actually and I didn't bother to look at their source. Sorry.

And :lol @ that thread Tim-E linked to!

DarkMehm

Haunted said:

We've got
wiki (lol) @ 151 million

It's simple really. Sony released in July 08 unit sales of its systems as of June 08. Unfortunately PSP and PS2 were rounded and therefore we have now a figure of 136.3m as of Dec 08. That 140 figure are production shipments.

AniHawk

I need to pick up Soul Bubbles. The DS turned out to be a pretty good system, but for me specifically for its 2D platformers. Those have been pretty great.

Hive

Banned
AniHawk said:
I need to pick up Soul Bubbles. The DS turned out to be a pretty good system, but for me specifically for its 2D platformers. Those have been pretty great.

which ones do you like? A lot of the ones I like had to be imported.. >_<;;

donny2112

Haunted said:

We've got
wiki (lol) @ 151 million

* 151m is just wrong. The Wiki article's source on that number even says 140m in Jul-08.
* garaph.info only has the "production shipments" number for PS2. My guess is that without a way to translate the previous tracking method to the more reasonable "retailer shipments" method, JoshuaJSlone just left the PS2 number unupdated.

AniHawk

Hive said:
which ones do you like? A lot of the ones I like had to be imported.. >_<;;

The usual suspects. Yoshi's Island DS, Sonic Rush, NSMB, etc. Yoshi Touch & Go was pretty good too.

Jokeropia

Go DS!
Haunted said:

We've got
wiki (lol) @ 151 million
The problem stems from the fact that Sony stopped giving LTD shipment numbers for PS2 (and PSP) in their quarterly reports when they switched their reporting method from production shipments to regular shipments (and you can't really add the old production shipment numbers to the new shipment numbers) and the only way to get this data nowadays afaik is from the occasional PR or interview.

Regulus Tera said:
Is there a breakdown between DS, DSL and DSi?

This isn't perfect, but the last time they reported a separate number for both DS as a whole and DSL was the end of March 2008. That should give us a pretty good idea of where original model DS ended.

70.6 million (DS total) - 51.78 million (DSL) = 18.82 million original model DS?

DSi shipments were 1.66 million at the end of 2008; obviously they're up somewhat since then.

donny2112 said:
Jokeropia said:
The problem stems from the fact that Sony stopped giving LTD shipment numbers for PS2 (and PSP) in their quarterly reports when they switched their reporting method from production shipments to regular shipments (and you can't really add the old production shipment numbers to the new shipment numbers) and the only way to get this data nowadays afaik is from the occasional PR or interview.
This. So for now the PS2 (and PSP) shipment numbers on Garaph go through March 2007 and then cut off. PS3 was still new enough that we have its entire history in the current shipment reporting method.

Top Bottom