• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Press release: Nintendo sold 100M DS worldwide

Segata Sanshiro said:
We can have a good laugh about it now, but really, back then, all the but the most loony of Nintendo fans were doubting the DS vs the PSP. I myself was not shy at all about comparing it to the Virtual Boy.

I never doubted the DS, but I crowned it for all the wrong reasons; namely, it was GBA's Successor.

But man, i'd be lying if I didn't say the first 6 months with the system were boring as hell. (Shy of Sort N Splode, that mini-game was amazing.)

Jaded Alyx said:
GAF doesn't know shit about shit?

Read that thread, it's not as bad as it sounds from the quotes. Some people made good remarks about the DS and I think the general aggressiveness (including ban threats) from especially Drinky probably distorted the discussion even more. It's easy to remember the stupid stuff, but it's not a bad thread and definitely doesn't paint GAF entirely stupid.

Flachmatuch said:
Read that thread, it's not as bad as it sounds from the quotes. Some people made good remarks about the DS and I think the general aggressiveness (including ban threats) from especially Drinky probably distorted the discussion even more. It's easy to remember the stupid stuff, but it's not a bad thread and definitely doesn't paint GAF entirely stupid.
Perhaps, but I'm not basing what I said on that thread alone.

Me neither...I went back and read a few of these threads a few times because they're very funny, but they're definitely not as one sided as I used to believe. It's easier to remember the silly stuff, but I don't think GAF was nearly as bad as publishers :)

Deku

Banned
I'm not sure which threads you guys were reading, but The historical discussion of who said what when is distorted.

I didn't get a DS phat until 1 year after it launched and things werent much better than those quotes, in fact, it was worse.

Prelaunch prognostication being wrong can be excused as short sightedness, or just being plain wrong, but when it goes on for a year, there's something else to it, when for example software at that point (released and announced) was already making the DS a much more interesting platform than those posts would admit.

All forums feature that; the good dissenting opinions are drowned out by the loudmouths who post 60 times a day. Unfortunately, at the time GAF was overrun with boorish loudmouth joke characters and that thread was a perfect example.

DeaconKnowledge said:
All forums feature that; the good dissenting opinions are drowned out by the loudmouths who post 60 times a day. Unfortunately, at the time GAF was overrun with boorish loudmouth joke characters and that thread was a perfect example.

Well yeah but they were mostly the same group of people, weren't they? Of course they were loud but you could ignore them, and after a while they were so obviously wrong that it became funny. I remember saying quite early (on eurogamer) that the DS would have an awesome JRPG catalogue rivalling the PS2 and I was really happy about it, and I remember having a pretty decent discussion about that. Anyway, maybe it's because the failure of these people was so awesomely huge that I used to have the impression that everyone was against the DS, and when I read some of these threads again they turned out to be more balanced than I remembered.

And the PSP also turned out a lot better than I expected after the huge upsurge in DS popularity. PSP and DS together are pretty much enough for me now.

Flachmatuch said:
Well yeah but they were mostly the same group of people, weren't they? Of course they were loud but you could ignore them, and after a while they were so obviously wrong that it became funny. I remember saying quite early (on eurogamer) that the DS would have an awesome JRPG catalogue rivalling the PS2 and I was really happy about it, and I remember having a pretty decent discussion about that. Anyway, maybe it's because the failure of these people was so awesomely huge that I used to have the impression that everyone was against the DS, and when I read some of these threads again they turned out to be more balanced than I remembered.

You're quite right that it wasn't all bad, however I find that in life it's the minority that screams the loudest that we remember. When I think back to those unveils I have a hard time remembering the good conversation and dialogue; it's lost in a sea of "Wii sounds like Pee" and "Nintendo is doooooomed" and "lol sony" memories.

As for Zerodoppler, YOU'RE the reason I can never find people to play Panzer Tacics DS with; that guy who buys a platform for specific titles then ignores everything, then jumps on a website and says everything is ports and remakes. I've played more original games on the DS than I have on any system in YEARS, of all genres, and it made its fortunes of the back of rehashes? Right.

The DS has so much new shit I want to play I actually STOPPED PLAYING IT because I was overwhelmed with the amount of games I wanted, all from series or genres I've seldom touched before.

Vinci

Danish
DeaconKnowledge said:
You're quite right that it wasn't all bad, however I find that in life it's the minority that screams the loudest that we remember. When I think back to those unveils I have a hard time remembering the good conversation and dialogue; it's lost in a sea of "Wii sounds like Pee" and "Nintendo is doooooomed" and "lol sony" memories.

I love reading through old threads on here, especially for Nintendo's unveilings. It's like they specifically did whatever they could to trip GAFfers up.

I've played more original games on the DS than I have on any system in YEARS, of all genres, and it made its fortunes of the back of rehashes? Right.

The DS's library is amazing. Second to none, IMO, and it's the primary system I game on. Without it? Hell, I'd probably just stick to the PC and be done with all this system wars nonsense.

bravo!imo the ds is the best system out there, with an extensive library of quality hardcore and casual games, and its nice when the public recognizes a good thing.

still it bugs me how most of the press seems to think of it as an afterthought,

Top Bottom