• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Press release: Nintendo sold 100M DS worldwide

Stumpokapow said:
pspwned.jpg
Eww! @ the thumbs on the right.

How do you get your fingernals all nubby like that? Can he even cratch anything? It's way past the meat!

Neomoto

Great! The DS is a fuckawesome handheld. Soo many great games I lack the time to play new releases regurarely.

The DSi will sell hotcakes too. I wonder when we will get the next big thing (first party Nintendo kaliber game like NSMB).

D.Lo

donny2112 said:
The Nintendo websites are blocked, and I can't see the graph. However, garaph.info has the PS2 at just under 120m. Where is the 150m PS2 number coming from?

DS_WW
It's likely someone combined the old and new shipping methods from that Sony shipping page, which led to two decent PS2 quarters doubling up.

(For those that don't remember, Sony changed their tracking methods from 'production shipments' to 'retail shipments' in 2007 to mask slowed/stopped PS3 production due to poor sales for the half year. Unfortunately they did it to all their consoles, and didn't provide retrospective numbers for PS2, leaving two eras of internal reporting that are not compatible).

EDIT: beated.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Ahh the portable wars of 2004/2005. No one in their right minds would have thought of such a lopsided result 4 to 5 years into the future. Good times..

*turns on DS*

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Kudos. It got off to a slow, rough start, but since has more than earned it's way to the top.

Flakster99

I'll also chime in - well deserved and some of the most fun I've had in any gaming generation. :D

I eagerly look forward to Nintendo's next proper iteration of their handheld line.

Cipherr

lynux3 said:
Someone's angry. I hope it's not the result of my previous comment. Shouldn't you be looking up more quotes and what not, skippy?

You just got COMPLETELY owned. have some self respect and leave the thread. Your not fooling anyone with that "someones angry" nonsense :lol

GBA sold about 65 million at this point. That's quite a difference!

edit: Dragon Quest V DS is taking up my game time atm.

edit2: PSP growth is like a baby-GBA kind of growth curve.

Huggy

Dark Octave said:
Eww! @ the thumbs on the right.

How do you get your fingernals all nubby like that? Can he even cratch anything? It's way past the meat!

They are his toes, dude.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
When are people going to learn to stop siding with the console that has the best graphics?

100 million base built by ports, remakes, spin-offs and shovelware. I think it kind of earned its Dragon Quest by now.

Also, where the hell is my 2D Metroid?

Zerodoppler said:
100 million base built by ports, remakes, spin-offs and shovelware. I think it kind of earned its Dragon Quest by now.

Also, where the hell is my 2D Metroid?
You shut up. Shut up right now!

;_;

Why did you have to go and remind me that I've subsisted on Igavania all these years?

AnnSwag

angry @ Blu-Ray's success
I can't seem to find mine anymore so I guess I'll be picking up a new one(I had a fatty anyway so it's time for a lite). Especially with Devil Survivor and Knights in the Knightmare coming out. Damn I love atlus maybe a little too much these days.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Zerodoppler said:

Seriously you're dissing the DS at this point of its history? Ooook here goes.

1.) Ports - am I back in 2005? There are a shockingly low amount of ports on the DS. People were anticipating Nintendo to port everything N64 onto it. I struggle to come up with more than five off the top of my head.

2.) As for remakes, what's the problem? They're generally great classic games with a new coat of paint and polish introduced to a new gaming generation that never had the chance to experience them before.

3.) Spin-offs? You're complaining about spin-offs in the VIDEOGAME industry where sequelitis is absolutely rampant on ALL platforms? Seriously?

4.)Shovelware. Because the Playstation didn't have its share. Because the PS2 didn't have any.

When you're playing in the 100 million club, shovelware will always comprise a majority of your software sales. That's a fact.

I also like how you completely ignore the enormous amount of completely innovative and original IPs that form the backbone of the DS catalogue and make it one of the best videogame platforms of all time. In a little over 4 years. I know you're bitter, but come on.

Fredescu

The phat really is dog ugly. If I was a console warrior at the time I probably would have doubted the success of the DS v the PSP too.

Fredescu said:
The phat really is dog ugly. If I was a console warrior at the time I probably would have doubted the success of the DS v the PSP too.
We can have a good laugh about it now, but really, back then, all the but the most loony of Nintendo fans were doubting the DS vs the PSP. I myself was not shy at all about comparing it to the Virtual Boy.

kswiston

Congrats to DS!

Going into this gen the only handheld game I had ever owned was Pokemon Blue. With the DS, I am already at ~45 games and I have owned the machine a little less than two years. Hell, my DS collection is rapidly approaching my total 360+PS3+Wii collection (Not counting arcade/PSN/VC titles).

kswiston

Fredescu said:

The phat is great for people that have large hands. My fiance's cobalt blue DS lite is sexier but would murder my hands if I had to play a game like DQV on it. It's too damn small.

BorkBork said:
Seriously you're dissing the DS at this point of its history? Ooook here goes.

I wasn't trying to diss [my most played system] the DS. I simply find it interesting that it managed to reach 100 million units with a library that mainly consists of "lesser effort" games. Could it have done even better if it had been given as many top developer titles as the NES, SNES or PS1? I guess we'll never know.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Segata Sanshiro said:
We can have a good laugh about it now, but really, back then, all the but the most loony of Nintendo fans were doubting the DS vs the PSP. I myself was not shy at all about comparing it to the Virtual Boy.

I agree... I was convinced Nintendo had shot themselves in the foot... I couldn't imagine this state of affairs.

What's really amusing is the GAF posts from about 6-9 months ago, when the tune switched to "the PSP is doing great! Everyone KNEW there was no chance the PSP would supplant Nintendo's hardware!"

Heh.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Segata Sanshiro said:

I totally called that the DS would win big. Part of the reason why I have this tag, actually :)

legend166 said:
I still have a DS Phat.

:(

I have both... but that was actually because I lost my DS Phat for a while. I finally found it after I got the DSL. Go figure. For the record, I always thought the DS was a good idea and thought it was brilliant when I heard about the touch screen. With that said, even I was surprised at how well the DS did and how the PSP performed under most experts' expectations in America.

Yagharek

Same here, never upgraded to Lite so Ill probably grab a dsi sometime soon if I can. Bigger screen and matte finish and dsi ware are the deal makers for me.

I reckon these sales at least confirm that the DS is the handheld equivalent of the SNES. Not in terms of hw, but in terms of how it may well be remembered. The software library is phenomenally good in terms of quality and imagination. And it has Crono Trigger :D

Nocebo

Zerodoppler said:
I wasn't trying to diss [my most played system] the DS. I simply find it interesting that it managed to reach 100 million units with a library that mainly consists of "lesser effort" games. Could it have done even better if it had been given as many top developer titles as the NES, SNES or PS1? I guess we'll never know.
I think for a significant part of the user base it's the first time they played the games the remakes / ports are from.

Dragon Quest V springs to mind. I'm having a trip to nostalgia city playing it for the first time. It feels the same as when I first played rpgs on my snes back in the day.

I'll bet 200 million if you get me an ocarina of time that I can comfortably play on the train. And none of that Mario 64 DS bullshit.

seat said:
Hey, that's pretty neat, Nintendo!

Now where are the sequels to Phantom Hourglass, NSMB, and EBA?
You'll probably see them when the DSi gets a much more established user base. At least 10 million or so.

Top Bottom