• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Press secretary: Justice Department ‘should certainly look at’ prosecuting Comey

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

The Justice Department should consider prosecuting former FBI director James B. Comey for actions that “were improper and likely could have been illegal,” White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Tuesday.

“I think if there's ever a moment where we feel someone's broken the law, particularly if they're the head of the FBI, I think that's something that certainly should be looked at,” Sanders said.

She said that recommending such a prosecution is “not the president's role,” and that the White House is not encouraging it.

“That's the job of the Department of Justice, and something they should certainly look at,” Sanders said.

Asked to clarify, Sanders said this:

“Anybody that breaks the law, whatever that process is that needs to be followed, should certainly be looked at,” Sanders said. “If they determine that that's the course of action to take, then they should certainly do that, but I'm not here to ever direct DOJ in — in the actions that they should take.”

Nonetheless, Sanders ticked through a list of actions or alleged actions by Comey that she said justified his firing by Trump, in May, and some of which, she said, may be illegal.

“The president is proud of the decision that he made. The president was 100 percent right in firing James Comey. He knew at the time that it could be bad for him politically, but he also knew and felt he had an obligation to do what was right, and do what was right for the American people, and certainly the men and women at the FBI,” Sanders said at a White House press briefing.

“I think there's no secret. Comey, by his own self-admission, leaked privileged government information weeks before President Trump fired him. Comey testified that an FBI agent engaged in the same practice, they'd face serious repercussions,” Sanders continued. “I think he set his own stage for himself on that front. His actions were improper, and likely could have been illegal.”

Linkura

nibk9Pn.gif

Tagyhag

“If they determine that that's the course of action to take, then they should certainly do that, but I'm not here to ever direct DOJ in — in the actions that they should take.”

Lol

"I think they should do it, but I'm not telling them to do it"

Hope she goes to jail as well.

kirblar

They've started impugning the character of the investigators again?

Something's coming. This is the Trump Admin equivalent of a shaking water glass.

RPGCrazied

Absurd. Its obvious they are on a smear campaign against him after he wouldn't kiss Trump's ring.

Fucking lunatics.

For what?

Not taking down Hillary.

Something's coming. This is the Trump Admin equivalent of a shaking water glass.

Especially with Trump giving Tillerson free reign of the Russian deal, which may be an intent to make himself appear as though as he has no Russian connections. Scared of something coming, huh Donnie?

Con_Smith

Banned
Not the head of the DoJ for blantant purjery

Not Joe for being a shit stain on humanity

Not the president for living another day in the white house

Countless examples of law breakers and you choose the guy who helped hasten your demise. Smart.

"Anybody that breaks the law, whatever that process is that needs to be followed, should certainly be looked at."

I look forward to this very sentiment being used against Trump.

Kind of amazing how you can predict exactly what new batshit insane pronouncement is going to come out of the WH today by simply catching a few minutes of Fox & Friends the day before LOL

“I think there's no secret. Comey, by his own self-admission, leaked privileged government information weeks before President Trump fired him.Comey testified that an FBI agent engaged in the same practice, they'd face serious repercussions,” Sanders continued. “I think he set his own stage for himself on that front. His actions were improper, and likely could have been illegal.”

What practice? What testimony? WTF is she talking about? When did Comey say this about his own actions?

this fucking dumbass

i imagine her voice saying this too, the voice of a redneck alien with 3 brain cells who learned to speak by listening to underwater recordings of dukes of hazard. like molasses personified

”I think there's no secret. Comey, by his own self-admission, leaked privileged government information weeks before President Trump fired him. Comey testified that an FBI agent engaged in the same practice, they'd face serious repercussions," Sanders continued. ”I think he set his own stage for himself on that front. His actions were improper, and likely could have been illegal."

This is false.

Unless there have been updates on the situation that I'm not privy to:

- Comey sent the memos to his friend after being dismissed, not "weeks before"

- Trump made reference to the conversations described in the memos in his letter firing Comey, meaning those conversations cannot be considered "privileged government information" from the moment their contents were publicly described by Trump

- Comey never testified that someone sharing unclassified documents with the public would face serious repercussions, probably because this isn't true

Allard

Nothing is coming. This reeks of the Trump WH saying dumb shit like usual

Most of the WH outbursts related to Comey and the FBI seemed centered around something that happened behind the scenes that we only find out much later. Trump for instance tweeted out of nowhere wanting the acting FBI director to get fired unprompted and we find out several weeks later that the day that outburst happened was the day Paul Manafort had a raid on his home in the middle of the night. Trump is an impulsive and short sighted person, most of the shit he does comes directly from cause and effect, he lashes out/doubles down on stuff when he is unhappy about something. Anything that is random/done without obvious provocation likely stems from something he saw or learned about that same day. There was a leak yesterday about the lawyers wanted Kushner fired because of his implication just standing in the room of possible obstruction of justice, they are aware, which means any reaction like this probably has some catalyst.

Shadybiz

this fucking dumbass

i imagine her voice saying this too, the voice of a redneck alien with 3 brain cells who learned to speak by listening to underwater recordings of dukes of hazard. like molasses personified

She really is just the goddamned worst. Spicer, come back...

“The president is proud of the decision that he made. The president was 100 percent right in firing James Comey. He knew at the time that it could be bad for him politically, but he also knew and felt he had an obligation to do what was right, and do what was right for the American people, and certainly the men and women at the FBI,” Sanders said at a White House press briefing.

Is she going to be the next Conway?

Zubz

Banned
Something is coming, right?

This reeks of desperation, looking to stain Comey in the eyes of the public.

The past couple of weeks have felt like build-up, IMO. I feel something major was supposed to be revealed but it was put on hold due to the natural disasters being, you know... natural disasters. Those take priority.

Most of the WH outbursts related to Comey and the FBI seemed centered around something that happened behind the scenes that we only find out much later. Trump for instance tweeted out of nowhere wanting the acting FBI director to get fired unprompted and we find out several weeks later that the day that outburst happened was the day Paul Manafort had a raid on his home in the middle of the night. Trump is an impulsive and short sighted person, most of the shit he does comes directly from cause and effect, he lashes out/doubles down on stuff when he is unhappy about something. Anything that is random/done without obvious provocation likely stems from something he saw or learned about that same day. There was a leak yesterday about the lawyers wanted Kushner fired because of his implication just standing in the room of possible obstruction of justice, they are aware, which means any reaction like this probably has some catalyst.

There's a difference between Trump's personal outbursts and the rest of his staff's. You may have a point when he says something, because he's a fucking child unable to follow guidance from his advisors about staying quiet, but I don't think the rest of his staff suffer from the same levels of impulsivness

Maybe they read this.

Republicans with close links to the White House increasingly believe that special counsel Robert Mueller is “going for the kill” in his investigation into links between President Donald Trump and Russia, according to a report from Axios Tuesday.

Members of the GOP are said to have come to that stark conclusion based on Mueller’s hiring of lawyers experienced in dealing with money laundering crimes and the Mafia, as well as the intensity of his pursuit of both witnesses and evidence.

Apharmd

Not the head of the DoJ for blantant purjery

Not Joe for being a shit stain on humanity

Not the president for living another day in the white house

Countless examples of law breakers and you choose the guy who helped hasten your demise. Smart.

Ay for real. What's up with Keebler Elf's perjury cookies? They still baking in the oven or some shit?

Yeah literally ANY time I read about the WH or trump impugning Mueller or Comey I assume they just heard some awful news about the investigation proceeding towards them like a barreling train. WE may not hear about what that incitement was until usually a week or two later but you can bet there's something going on behind the scenes to dredge up this nonsense again, particularly when it's coming from the press secretary herself

Top Bottom