• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey Demo: Opening Hour Thread: Everything is Going to Be OK

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Pretty bad demo. I didn't even get to combat before turning it off.

Horrible input lag mixed with large deadzone, and ZERO controller customization. I'm getting so sick of this shit. If I want R3 instead of O to crouch I have to go into the damn OS and force it, which affects everything. I'm to the point now where I will not buy your damn game if it doesn't offer these basic options.

pronk420

Its called Prey. Not Prey 2.

If you find it confusing, just refer Arkane's Prey as Prey 2017.

I thought there was originally a game called prey 2 in development that was cancelled? Press were raving about it and describing it as some kind of blade runner future detective thing. Or was that called Prey as well?

Prey, Prey Cancelled and Prey 2017?

Oh I encountered a bug too. Or something like that which made me reload my save because I couldn't figure it out.

Spoilers for demo "twist":

I messed around with the scene selection for the helicopter area from above to make it day time, jumped down and couldn't get back to the initial area again because I didn't have any scene selection in the apartment area. I was pretty much locked out from getting back.

Felt like an instance where invisible walls could've alleviated frustration. Maybe I missed an option somewhere but I don't think I did.

I thought there was originally a game called prey 2 in development that was cancelled? Press were raving about it and describing it as some kind of blade runner future detective thing. Or was that called Prey as well?

Prey, Prey Cancelled and Prey 2017?

Prey, the 2006 game. Prey 2 (that got cancelled).

And this game, made by Arkane is referred to as Prey 2017.

Let's say its a re-imagining since it has nothing to do with both games in any shape or form.

Kalor

I don't know how to feel about this. The story has the potential to be interesting and I really like the environment design and just exploring it but the combat isn't that good, which is concerning when combat will probably be the focus of most of the game. The mimics have no real strategy to fighting them, just run up and hit them with the wrench. You could shoot them but I found that I was wasting ammo because they moved so quickly. Maybe the other enemies are better because that more humanoid enemy was more fun to fight, mostly since it reacted to your hits and would slump to the ground. The controls took some getting used to but they didn't bother me by the end.

Maybe I'll pick this up at some point after launch once they fix any issues with it. The demo sold me on getting it eventually at the very least.

jem0208

I don't know how to feel about this. The story has the potential to be interesting and I really like the environment design and just exploring it but the combat isn't that good, which is concerning when combat will probably be the focus of most of the game. The mimics have no real strategy to fighting them, just run up and hit them with the wrench. You could shoot them but I found that I was wasting ammo because they moved so quickly. Maybe the other enemies are better because that more humanoid enemy was more fun to fight, mostly since it reacted to your hits and would slump to the ground. The controls took some getting used to but they didn't bother me by the end.

Maybe I'll pick this up at some point after launch once they fix any issues with it. The demo sold me on getting it eventually at the very least.

I don't think combat will be the focus, it seems more like exploration and environmental based puzzles will be the meat of the game.

Arkane made the whole situation with Jason Schreier leaks about Prey (aka ''Press Sneak Fuck'' thing) a trophy/achievement in the game lol. Really awesome

C-biS48XYAY5hyb.jpg:large

End of an era.

Huge input lag
No PS4 pro support
Le jaggies every fucking where
Honestly looks like a cross gen ps3 game from 2013.

25 minutes in , awful impressions.

The Third Heat

Neo Member
That's the problem with Input Lag, which should be fixed on launch as well as the audio problem

That's great if I was buying the game, but I'm not convinced at this point. I hope they can patch the demo? Is that even a thing?

I like a lot of what they're doing so it bums me out. Hopefully they can resolve the issues.

Truant

I posted a lot of positive impressions on the first couple of pages, if anyone want to read more in-depth stuff than the "horrible demo, input lag, no combat" impressions in the later pages.

Granted, I love immersive sims and have been known to look past bad combat/movement for these types of games.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I wish a cross-gen PS3 game from 2013 looked as good as Prey.
Hey I'm not a graphics guy and even I think this looks pretty rough. The city flyover in the intro was almost comical... like, lol why are you intentionally bringing attention to this skyline?

Gameplay over graphics for me, but this demo did neither well. And the story (what I played) seems like they just pulled it from five other games and mashed it up... oh it's like Half-life, SOMA, Portal (and every other game ever) mash-up.

I might be waaay off... but blame the demo. It did not show well... especially with the awful controls.

Drain You

Ugh, I just started the download on my Ps4 cause I was too lazy to hook up my Xbox since I just got back home, but now I'm reading all this about terrible input lag on PS4 but not on Xbox. Maybe I'll just let it download and hope it gets a patch for the input lag soon.

Ugh, I just started the download on my Ps4 cause I was too lazy to hook up my Xbox since I just got back home, but now I'm reading all this about terrible input lag on PS4 but not on Xbox. Maybe I'll just let it download and hope it gets a patch for the input lag soon.

Input lag vs "should have gone to specsavers" vision.

You lose in both cases :(

This thread is making even my excitement to download a free demo plunge into an abyss, jesus haha.

It's like every time someone posts impressions, another one of my major gaming pet peeves is pointed out, can't wait to play...

N° 2048

I was super hyped but the input lag is like almost a second delay, I've never seen this before.
I've beaten Dark Souls, Nioh, etc and had no lag, ever.
(on PS4)

Cancel pre-order, buy soundtrack.

Why is the audio mixing such a mess? Some characters talk loud as fuck, meanwhile the ... Walkie talkie? Whatever the fuck is super quiet

Hmmm input lag wasn't a huge problem for me , dishonored 2 was much worse, glad to hear the input lag is not in the full game but I feel like this game has a lot of potential to be really good this is just a poorly put together demo. I still found the game to be quite enjoyable with an amazing atmosphere and story set up so far , I'm very interested to see how this reviews .

I wasn't going to get the demo since I thought this would be an instant buy for me but after reading impressions I'm going to give it a download to see how it plays for me.

Disker

Basically Bioshock in space, which would've been great (story so far was intriguing)

But it has horrible performance even on my ps pro. Horrible pop in textures. Washed out graphics, even Bioshock 2 (remaster) looks better and sharper than this.

Controls? Bad, just plain bad. Input lag, slow as fuck (feels like moving through a thick paste of nutella), inaccurate. Gameplay just doenst feel right.....

And the audio has bad mixing. Music overpowers EVERYTHING. Music style is good but damn that was annoying. Even lowering it by 30% didn't help.

Bummer, here is hoping for a new Bioshock like game with a bit of inspiration from Bioshock 2 imo.

Truant

Basically Bioshock in space, which would've been great (story so far was intriguing)

But it has horrible performance even on my ps pro. Horrible pop in textures. Washed out graphics, even Bioshock 2 (remaster) looks better and sharper than this.

Controls? Bad, just plain bad. Input lag, slow as fuck, inaccurate. Gameplay just doenst feel right.....

And the audio has bad mixing. Music overpowers EVERYTHING. Music style is good but damn that was annoying. Even lowering it by 30% didn't help.

Bummer, here is hoping for a new Bioshock like game with a bit of inspiration from Bioshock 2 imo.

This doesn't seem right. The game runs at a steady 30fps on my pro, and I've yet to see any pop-in texture issues.

I usually play games on my PC, so I'm pretty sensitive to the issues you mentioned.

Ardenyal

The environments and the setting is so good. Hopefully the mimics won't be a thing for the whole duration of the game, trying to hammer little shits skittering at your feet is not exactly exciting.

Hey I'm not a graphics guy and even I think this looks pretty rough. The city flyover in the intro was almost comical... like, lol why are you intentionally bringing attention to this skyline?

Gameplay over graphics for me, but this demo did neither well. And the story (what I played) seems like they just pulled it from five other games and mashed it up... oh it's like Half-life, SOMA, Portal (and every other game ever) mash-up.

I might be waaay off... but blame the demo. It did not show well... especially with the awful controls.

Story opinions are subjective. I thought it was very interesting, even more than Dishonored games. Though it's not exactly a high bar to accomplish since Arkane isn't exactly well known for stories

GavinUK86

Some of these kneejerk reactions in this thread are amazing. I've been playing the demo all day and I'm still finding new stuff. I have no idea what demo some of you are playing.

Ricker

I guess I am not sensitive to input lag because I just finished the demo on the PS4 and did not have any problems with it...and the sound is awesome except,like many said,the overkill of the music when the annoying mimic appear...overall I really enjoyed it,looks great,atmosphere is great,found the bow but can you find a shotgun? did not but had some Shotgun ammo...definetly getting this,maybe not right away because of backlog but in the near future for sure.

EDIT: It's not a bow,its a crossbow and its useless lol...

Auctopus

I don't think combat will be the focus, it seems more like exploration and environmental based puzzles will be the meat of the game.

Maybe it's because I was dreading combat due to my eardrums only just recovering but I felt like there was an enemy encounter in nearly every room. Especially when you got to the main lobby. Also, the demo introduced 4 different weapons in its first hour.

I'm not saying that puzzles and exploration won't be a part of it but combat is most definitely going to one of the game's focuses.

Killzig

Found the game kind of frustrating. Reinstalled the BioShock remaster on STEAM that I'd never gotten around to. Seems like this game needs a little while longer. Gloop and wrench seem like the way it was meant to play but that transition doesn't feel too smooth (maybe I am just missing KB+M inputs). None of the powers look that cool. The mimic gimmick does nothing for me, just jump scares that you get pretty used to rather quickly. More of a nuisance than anything. The environments are big, but atmosphere feels kind of dull. Overall just feels like a pale shade of games you've played before. Now I've got the itch to play some BioShock and then maybe fire up a fresh run of the first Dead Space after that. If you like it, I'm happy for you.

Spoo

Heh, exactly the bug I was describing in my impressions earlier. Looks like it won't be a one-off.

Also, as a PS4 Pro user (who likely won't be getting the game on a Pro, but rather PC, and that's assuming it's not trash), I should mention I did catch one or two instances of texture pop-in. It was not a frequent occurrence, but it did happen at least once. I have a hard time believing the demo itself is optimized for Pro though; there are just too many instances of things that a Pro version would probably capitalize on fixing (namely, the image quality)

BlizzKrut

Banned
I think this thread illustrates the dangers of demos

A lot of the issues people have might be alleviated after seeing more of the game.

This is what I wanted to write earlier, but I was afraid it'd move the topic to another discussion, but yeah, it boils down to this, and it goes both ways too (negative and positive).

I'll echo what others have said, but I thought it was alright. Graphics aren't that amazing on a normal PS4, the input lag is bad, the music during combat sometimes feels broken as it goes on longer than there are enemies around, and the sound mixing is iffy, especially voices coming through the comm device. I took my headset off after awhile and I could barely hear what was being said even though everything else was fine. My issues should be easy fixes or stuff that will probably be addressed in a day one patch outside of the graphics complaint.

I'll grab it when it drops in price at Best Buy. I got sucked back into Destiny and really don't have a reason to run out and buy it immediately, plus I still have to finally start and finish the Blood and Wine expansion for the Witcher 3 that I've put off forever now.

Spoo

I think this thread illustrates the dangers of demos

A lot of the issues people have might be alleviated after seeing more of the game.

It also illustrates the importance of them.

I mean, I am very passionate about this game; it's a great concept, and there's some cool stuff happening here, but there's also clearly a lot here to be very concerned about, and for many people this will put them on a reasonable alert considering we won't be getting reviews until right on release day. It's brave of them to release it in such a disfigured state, honestly (you can't tell me they didn't catch this stuff).

They should release these kind of demos much earlier so that people can actively help the team nail down some of these problems early. Also stamp them appropriately as beta and unfinished. A demo this broken, this close to release, either needs to be annotated by the devs in advance as "a very early build" or something, or used as a basis for deciding how to spend your money.

Top Bottom