• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey Demo: Opening Hour Thread: Everything is Going to Be OK

gafneo

Banned
I was giving this game another try. Feels too much like a Half Life 3, System Shock 3 clone. We already had those genres covered. Prey 1 was cool because the antigravity stuff was new. Prey 2 looked promising because it was set in a futuristic city. Prey reboot has most art and style, but really nothing new. You shrink into objects like in Guiest. Again, another old idea.

I was giving this game another try. Feels too much like a Half Life 3, System Shock 3 clone. We already had those genres covered. Prey 1 was cool because the antigravity stuff was new. Prey 2 looked promising because it was set in a futuristic city. Prey reboot has most art and style, but really nothing new. You shrink into objects like in Guiest. Again, another old idea.

You played System Shock 3 and Half-Life 3?

How was the future? Do we get to stab our needles into the eye to get better abilities? :D

I went in not expecting much and I left very happy. I will definitely be getting this game. I loved the vibe it gives off. Sure I had small troubles with the mimics but the gloo gun is great for them and it's the start of the game, you're gonna get more ways to deal with them as it goes on.
I don't see how they could put someone off the whole game though, 'git gud' I guess.

nOoblet16

Ok I tried the demo on Xbox One as well and immediately I noticed a big improvement. I guess I can confirm as well that the Xbox One version does not suffer from input latency issues like PS4 version.

Drewfonse

Ok I tried the demo on Xbox One as well and immediately I noticed a big improvement. I guess I can confirm as well that the Xbox One version does not suffer from input latency issues like PS4 version.

Well, at least the latency issues are being addressed on Ps4.

Right? Or am I wrong?

nOoblet16

Right? Or am I wrong?
I don't know about that tbh, someone else might do.

However, I can say that after fighting a few enemies on Xbox One all this clunky feeling is gone. The spider mimics are still a bit shit innthstnot they don't telegraph and can often start the fight by hurting you with an ambush but it's so much easier to aim and hit them now.

Piggus

Not feeling this one. It might be better on PC, but on PS4 it's visually pretty bland and the combat is extremely sluggish. Doesn't seem to have any PS4 Pro support either (at least not yet). Too bad since Prey 1 was very responsive and fun to play.

That said, the concept is interesting. Maybe I'll get it on Steam when it's cheap.

chrixter

The demo has really tempered my hype. I share a lot of the criticisms here, though I expect playing with mouse and keyboard will alleviate at least some of the clunkiness of combat. If you had told me beforehand that the campaign structure closely follows the System Shock/BioShock model, I would've said "great!" But having now played the demo, so far it already feels like a tired and somewhat uninspired retread of old ideas. Hoping it differentiates itself enough as the game progresses, similar to how the Dishonored series feels like a fresh, modern take on Thief.

I'm curious how exactly they intend to "address" the music in the final game. Simply lowering the volume wouldn't fix my primary complaint which is that the audio design during combat felt highly dynamic with so many different sounds phasing in and out to the point that I wasn't sure at times if they were coming from the music, the enemies, or my surroundings. I suppose it's something I'd eventually be able to discern over time but during the first hour it was extremely disorienting. I'd rather not to have to disable the music while playing because I liked what I heard otherwise.

SomTervo

Nothing is original, execution is everything, etc

I don't want to ruin the experience with the game by playing the whole demo so I played like only 15 minutes and stopped.... I'll wait for the reviews and see.

Stoze

Yeah, weirdly enough playing the demo made me even more excited for it on PC. With higher FoV and mouse control, Mimics will presumably be much more appropriate to deal with. The in-game interfaces should also work perfectly, hacking would feel better, looting and messing around with physics objects as well.

I do think they are in a predicament with the Mimic design in the demo specifically; they are purposefully wild and hard to hit with the just wrench so you are tempted to use better weapons and powers on them, or the GLOO -> Wrench combo at the least (which again, would work better on PC). But in the first hour of the game you get limited tools and no alien powers and very little ammo, so players tend to stick with just the wrench. edit: Also the slowdown power helps a lot with them as well, you get enough points to use it in the demo.

I'm really crossing my fingers that they pull it out this time on PC. I'll be fine with a hardware intensive game with some frame drops when it gets chaotic, what I won't be fine with is a game where dropping settings and resolution does little or nothing to remedy that, and the framepacing always feels off ala Dishonored 2.

Nocturno999

I liked the game's art style and the story seems interesting.

What I didn't liked was the input lag, weird music that stays long even after you defeat an enemy and motion sickness which may have been caused by input lag plus 30FPS.

Most of these can be patched though. Will wait for PC impressions.

SomTervo

Yes. Not on PC, unfortunately.

*Fingers crossed for a well-performed PC port*

Jesus, i had no idea. Fingers crossed indeed.

I didn't have any issues with Dishonored 2 (I'm happy with unlocked 60 and 1080p, and my machine is powerful) but i imagine there's more going on in this game.

GavinUK86

Right? Or am I wrong?

I don't know about that tbh, someone else might do.

However, I can say that after fighting a few enemies on Xbox One all this clunky feeling is gone. The spider mimics are still a bit shit innthstnot they don't telegraph and can often start the fight by hurting you with an ambush but it's so much easier to aim and hit them now.

Yeah the PS4 input lag has already been fixed for release.

Where do you see input lag? I didn't :)

If you played it on PS4 you did. It's there, for everyone.

Memphis-Ahn

Neo Member
Glad to see a game where the mooks are actually challenging and terrifying and not just canon fodder for the player to feel good about themselves.
Having that sense of dread - like in System Shock 2 when you accidentally get spotted by a camera and Hybrids swarm onto you - is great.

RedAssedApe

Banned
input lag on ps4 sounds like a bummer. bad for marketing even if its fixed in the final game. which no one can actually confirm for sure yet (outside of taking their word) since no review copies?

GavinUK86

I just love how the mimics act when they spot you.

UrMRaqQ.gif

And how sometimes they turn into explosive objects.

8qtA6pT.gif

You have to remember how much easier they are to kill when you use the Gloo gun, which is the whole point of it.

z5eMWQp.gif

Okay, played the demo a good way through. Didn't finish it as I want to be able to play the game fully. I absolutely love the setting and the premise so far. Really really digging it.

But oh man the controls are iffy. :/

Like, they just feel very sluggish. I guess it's this input delay people are talking about. Having just played Doom last week this feels like I'm wallowing through mud. The aiming in particular is just slow and I died twice just trying to locate an enemy off screen.

If they can tighten up the controls with a patch I'll be way more interested.

One more gripe, what's with the FOV? Why does the shotgun take up like a quarter of the screen? Feels really claustrophobic.

Otherwise I'm pretty impressed. Maybe this is just an older demo or something and the final game will have this all addressed.

Tovarisc

One more gripe, what's with the FOV? Why does the shotgun take up like a quarter of the screen? Feels really claustrophobic.

Lower the FoV and larger the 1st person weapon model less resources are required for rendering the world as less is rendered at any given time => more stable FPS and/or able to hit FPS goals.

Lower the FoV and larger the 1st person weapon model less resources are required for rendering the world as less is rendered at any given time => more stable FPS and/or able to hit FPS goals.

I see. Well I guess if it means the game runs better, so be it. Thanks for the explanation.

nOoblet16

You have to remember how much easier they are to kill when you use the Gloo gun, which is the whole point of it.
Which will get boring quick, if the whole point of it is to do this even for the lowest level enemy. If you are gonna waste a shotgun round on a mimic spider anyway then there's no point to gloo them cause the shotgun has a large spread anyways. That particular moment when you start freezing them, they stand still and do this screaming thing, at which point I just used my pistol...much quicker.

On PS4 ofc it was difficult but simple enough on Xbox

nOoblet16

Honestly, these days in most cases the performance difference between an FoV of 65 and an FoV of 90 isn't big enough to make for any real measurable difference (atleast not something that can't be easily optimised if there is even a measurable difference). I personally think the reason so many console games have low FoV is due to the average distance from television.

Also the weapon model does not really affect culling, so unlike frustum culling which culls stuff outside of FoV the weapon model does not actually cull anything. I think the reason for the weapons looking that big is again FoV, at that FoV if the weapons were made smaller then their scale would look wrong relative to the world and hand size of character.

GavinUK86

Which will get boring quick, if the whole point of it is to do this even for the lowest level enemy. If you are gonna waste a shotgun round on a mimic spider anyway then there's no point to gloo them cause the shotgun has a large spread anyways. That particular moment when you start freezing them, they stand still and do this screaming thing, at which point I just used my pistol...much quicker.

On PS4 ofc it was difficult but simple enough on Xbox

It won't get boring at all. I used the shotgun in that situation but the wrench would've been good enough. If the game isn't for you then fine. I'm just pointing out how good it is in my opinion.

Yo this FOV is KILLING ME man. I haven't played first person in consoles in a long time. This is really uncomfortable.

Anyway i really like it, the analogs are wonky but i don't know it kinda feels like these games ussually are on consoles so i don't really know how they're supposed to be.

One thing i wish i could do is use dead bodies to lure the little monsters, bodies that clearly weren't, uh, sucked by the enemies. Would be really cool and there seem to be a lot of bodies laying around anyway.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
dont know why people think this is supposed to control like an actiony shooter when it controls more like alien isolation

controls just feel bad.. I started it up and didn't read this thread and the first thought I had was how awful it felt.

It honestly doesn't look good at all visually so not only does it not move well but it looks sub par. Need atleast one of them... maybe the level design or something is good but I have had an issue of even getting engaged in the game so far.

I just wanted to say, they got rid of the cool looking prey for this? that's funny, would have liked if it was like the first game too.... I'd rather play a remaster of that.

Tovarisc

dont know why people think this is supposed to control like an actiony shooter when it controls more like alien isolation

Alien Isolation also came loaded with input lag? I imagine people would be less harsh on how game plays if PS4 didn't suffer from that issue. Even then telegraphing attacks should be a thing, even Xeno in AI does that.

I wasn't implying Prey needs to control like something akin to Doom, but at the very least its inputs should be snappy and not cumbersome to a point where the player is continuously reminded of it. I don't remember the controls in Dishonored even registering an afterthought in my mind; they worked fine. But in Prey even after turning the sensitivity up I was still having issues. In particular it was super frustrating trying to shoot a Mimic that darts all around the environment whilst fighting with the right stick to get the target reticle in place fast enough to shoot it.

I'm so fucking mad that the AI companion won't just tell you what's going on, omg.

What a fucking useless piece of shit.

If you have my memories, then I don't need to find these video files.

I just wanted to say, they got rid of the cool looking prey for this? that's funny, would have liked if it was like the first game too.... I'd rather play a remaster of that.

That's not what really happened. While Arkane were making the game, Bethesda suggested to use Prey as a title for their game and they accepted.

End of story.

Played through a fair bit on Xbox One but haven't finished yet. Atmosphere is great, but controls and gameplay really are not clicking with me. Maybe because I'm just getting started, but even the UI isn't the best.

It definitely plays great on the One though. Seems like a rock-solid 30fps without any input lag.

Oh, and I got a bunch of BioShock vibes already.

nOoblet16

I'm so fucking mad that the AI companion won't just tell you what's going on, omg.

What a fucking useless piece of shit.

If you have my memories, then I don't need to find these video files.
That is the bread and butter Shock game storytelling, which is incredibly off putting after so many years. Someone communicates via radio, there are audio logs, you spend most of the game on your own and these two are the primary source of storytelling. All the while the person talking to you asks you to go from one location to another instead of telling/doing it themselves.

nOoblet16

It's all in their heads,like framepacing,dont worry about it lol ;)

Going to replay it to find the shotgun,only thing I missed I think...
How did you miss the shotgun? Its like the first thing you see on the ground the moment you enter the main demo area.

DKF590

Not feeling the demo at all despite thinking this would be exactly what I wanted based on previews. Willing to give it another chance on PC later, but that was a rough first impression.

A combination of sluggish controls, fast-ish moving enemies and some strange audio mixing really makes it an aggravating experience. I could see the mimics creating some good tension in an ideal situation, but the controls/combat really just made exploring and encountering them a nuisance. Hoping it's a bit better with a M/K and no input lag.

Top Bottom