• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey Demo: Opening Hour Thread: Everything is Going to Be OK

That is the bread and butter Shock game storytelling, which is incredibly off putting after so many years. Someone communicates via radio, there are audio logs, you spend most of the game on your own and these two are the primary source of storytelling. All the while the person talking to you asks you to go from one location to another instead of telling/doing it themselves.

Seeing the gameplay previews and Bethesda streams, January is less asking to go from one location to another and more like telling what you need exactly to do.

He/She shares his own insights and you
eventually get to meet him

This feels like a bad pc port from 10 years ago. Not enjoying it.

That's a bit of a leap. It has all the makings of a really cool first-person adventure/shooter. Just that it seems a touch unpolished. For all we know it's six-month-old demo and our grievances have already been addressed.

Instro

dont know why people think this is supposed to control like an actiony shooter when it controls more like alien isolation

Too be fair there is a legitimate issue with the inputs in the PS4 demo that they are supposedly fixing/is already fixed in upcoming patch.

I believe they are adjusting the FOV as well, although I could be wrong.

That's a bit of a leap. It has all the makings of a really cool first-person adventure/shooter. Just that it seems a touch unpolished. For all we know it's six-month-old demo and our grievances have already been addressed.
I thought the same thing, except I doubt the final game will be that much more polished.

There's very clearly a good game in there, but something about it just isn't clicking.

nOoblet16

Seeing the gameplay previews and Bethesda streams, January is less asking to go from one location to another and more like telling what you need exactly to do.

He/She shares his own insights and you
eventually get to meet him
Tomato tomato.

Also
it's an AI based off your own self from what I can tell, not a person. Explains why it's a female voice when you play as a woman and male voice when as a man.

Tovarisc

Tomato tomato.

Also
it's an AI based off your own self from what I can tell, not a person. Explains why it's a female voice when you play as a woman and male voice when as a man.

Or
advanced alien lifeform that is able to mimick your appearance accurately and has some of your past knowledge as you have given it to.. it

Tomato tomato.

Also

You can hate it all you want, but its not all fighting aliens in an infested space station. Its also dealing with Morgan's identity loss, what's his/her role and what was he/she doing on Talos I in the first place (As well the relationships Morgan has with the people onboard the station).

Personally, I think its interesting that your handler is your
past self

Sillverrr

I'd prefer to buy it on PC, but I'm sceptical as to how it will perform. It's a sad state of affairs that we can't rely on the potentially superior platform to deliver the best experience.

So yeah, STILL making my way thru the demo but thoughts...

FUCKING LOOOOOVE IT!!! (^____^)

Honestly this truly does feel like a genuine System Shock 2 successor minus the more heavy RPG bits.

Pros

+ I actually love the look of the game, both from an art and technical perspective. A lot of times in other titles, I tend to find myself just sort of rushing thru areas eventually but here, I REALLY take my time methodically moving thru and scanning everything
+ Mick Gordon's music is indeed, fucking awesome
+ I love the economy of, well everything, from the ammo, recyclers, fabricators, etc. You really do get to feel like a tinkering savant who's trying to get ahead by any means necessary. This is one of the core things that really makes it feel like System Shock 2.
+ I actually enjoyed the combat, which I'll add some advice at the end
+ The world building is fantastic, both with the environment and the audio logs... which themselves feel like they were mixed to, you guessed it, sound like System Shock 2 audio logs. FUCKING LOVE IT!
+ Quick-Save!
+ The fact that Morgan does NOT feel like a space marine and instead, has to (at least for me), constantly retreat and rethink positioning, engagements options, ammo, etc... I dunno, I got legit Survival Horror vibes :)

Cons

- PS4 Pro input lag... it's manageable, but I sincerely hope it's patched in the final build. To somewhat compensate, I put the sensitivity up to 50
- Audio mix is indeed weird-- to compensate this, dropping the music to 50 helps A LOT

But yeah, I'm definitely day one for this :D

Also, Pro-tip - Your swing with the wrench gives a very faint audio cue when it's charged up for a swing. No need to swing widely at monsters.

nOoblet16

Or
advanced alien lifeform that is able to mimick your appearance accurately and has some of your past knowledge as you have given it to.. it

You can hate it all you want, but its not all fighting aliens in an infested space station. Its also dealing with Morgan's identity loss, what's his/her role and what was he/she doing on Talos I in the first place (As well the relationships Morgan has with the people onboard the station).

Personally, I think its interesting that your handler is your
past self
I'm calling it now
Morgan is a mimic made for testing the Neuromods but he develops a consciousness. The real Morgan is dead or is the handler. Prototype twist, which would be a bit too obvious.

Zutrax

Cons

- PS4 Pro input lag... it's manageable, but I sincerely hope it's patched in the final build. To somewhat compensate, I put the sensitivity up to 50
- Audio mix is indeed weird-- to compensate this, dropping the music to 50 helps A LOT

According to what I've read via developer comments, both of these are fixed in the final build on PS4. But as far as how well they're fixed is up in the air.

nOoblet16

You sure you wanna bet on that? :p
Absolutely.

Yeah, thus the psych evaluation at the start. Pretty on the nose, hope it's something better.
That psych eval. was the biggest giveaway and it seems a bit too obvious especially if they dwell into the whole "who am I?" story.

Remember when they ask you to hide and when you hide behind the chair they react unusually? Same for when you vault over the chest high wall like a human would.

Yeah, thus the psych evaluation at the start. Pretty on the nose, hope it's something better.

Looking at the emails, its more like testing whether he/she still has
alien powers inside him/her

Since Morgan is
the only human who can use alien powers

That psych eval. was the biggest giveaway and it seems a bit too obvious especially if they dwell into the whole "who am I?" story.

Remember when they ask you to hide and when you hide behind the chair they react unusually? Same for when you vault over the chest high wall like a human would.

They're more disappointed you didn't get to use Mimic on the chair or Phantom Shift during the chest high wall test

KDC720

I think its neat. Tried the demo on both XB1 and PS4 and they XB1 version didn't have the same input lag problems which was nice.

This little taste was intriguing, and their are some cool ideas in here, but I think I might hold off on this one till Scorpio drops.

And I bet he can only do so because he is an alien

Or perhaps
she can only do so because TranStar are dedicating their work in elevating humanity through researching the Typhon even further

I think you guys are grasping at straws and want to go like "Aha! I knew the twist. Not so smart now, are you Arkane?".

Tovarisc

Or perhaps
she can only do so because TranStar are dedicating their work in elevating humanity through researching the Typhon even further

I think you guys are grasping at straws and want to go like "Aha! I knew the twist. Not so smart now, are you Arkane?".

If twist isn't that then good on them as it's so obvious.

Sande

So it's ugly, controls like shit and might have the worst audio mixing I've ever heard (seriously, even with music at 1 it still drowns out everything else).

I could live with all that but what I probably can't live with is being "Jumpscare: The Game". Okay, some mimics you can actually spot beforehand and it's actually pretty cool hunting down a mimic trying to hide, but most of the time it's just a completely random object that suddenly jumps at you coupled with the obnoxious sound effect and music. I can't stress enough how much I hate that.

All of this is really unfortunate since the story and aesthetic are really cool and I'm really enjoying the Bioshock style exploration and world building.

Sky87

PC to console port...

That doesn't make sense. Aim acceleration, low field of view, controller friendly UI. None of these applies to a PC>console port.

Rumors are that the PC version is in pretty dire condition as well. Personally i will definitely wait for reviews.

Played about 3 hours so far and I could easily see this being my GOTY. Using a foam crossbow to shoot a door unlock button through a tiny window? Bullet time? Recycling grenades?

This game is amazing.

Landford

Banned
That doesn't make sense. Aim acceleration, low field of view, controller friendly UI. None of these applies to a PC>console port.

Rumors are that the PC version is in pretty dire condition as well. Personally i will definitely wait for reviews.

That, and there isnt a single word about it from Bethesda people.

Tovarisc

That, and there isnt a single word about it from Bethesda people.

Well there is this.

"Hope all is well and thanks for reaching out. We appreciate the enthusiasm in the PC community for Prey, and the interest in a PC demo. The team at Arkane has been fully focused on optimizing and finalizing the PC version of the game. We aim to deliver the best PC experience to our fans – and are hard at work to do just that."
Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=234988300&postcount=686

Official line for not releasing PC demo is that it just wouldn't work that well and needs to be kept in-house and worked on.

Futurematic

Does it matter what you do on the psych evaluation? I ran around in circles mostly throwing the chair at the window, and answered questions like a sociopath to tank the test on purpose. Is there a way for the white board not to be all fail?

4chan already leaked the plot :p

Yeah, but the leaker turned out to be full of shit on a few things.

Remember the bit where he said that Russian Criminals are held in Psychotronics to become food for Typhon? The prisoner in Psychotronics in preview videos is Southern American and they don't kill those prisoners for sport. They use them to multiply Mimics and turn them into materials to make Neuromods.

And there's an achievement where you can escape Talos 1 without elimintating the Typhon for good. Which could dispel the whole fan-theory of ''Morgan is an alien!''

Point is, don't believe everything the guy leaked on 4chan. :p

phant0m

Really enjoyed the demo, buying on PC though. This has all the hallmarks of what a BioShock sequel really should have been.

I don't really notice any input lag (playing on a 2ms Monitor), but something does feel off about the aiming. Feels like you need a mouse to make it feel "normal". I only played for about 20 minutes, but it's interesting.

Hwoar

I didn't say it was one. It plays and looks like one. From the era when it was really hard to do a good PC to console port as well :p

Noks415

Everyone seems really down on the game, so I played the demo with shitty expectations.

This fucking game is awesome. The setting and music is amazing, the way you get to recycle junk to make weapons and ammo is a fun mechanic. I replayed the demo in order to get into certain areas that required really high hacking or leverage skills. I must have spent three hours in total. I'm really excited for this game.

You can see it in this video

Toy crossbow is more useful for distracting enemies and pushing buttons. You can even use it to interact with the computers.

Can't you just jump through the window? Also is that all demo stuff? Seems like I have a lot to see still.

I played a bit more today and I'm actually starting to warm up to this game. The enemies aren't as frustrating as I experiment and find more ways to deal with them. I'm not gonna drop 60 on this, but I'm definitely going to pick this up sometime.

ymgve

Can people please start prefixing their spoilers if the stuff they're spoiling is actual full game spoilers? I clicked one of these spoilers assuming it was gonna be something in the demo that debunked the 4chan leak, but nope, was plot details about later game stuff.

v0mitg0d

https://youtu.be/0Hk7ks5YoWI

Raphael Colantonio interview that discusses:

- At one point Arkane experimented with a deep survival system that had weapon degradation, a trauma system (broken bones if dropped from too high, etc) but dropped it
because it was too overwhelming. Will probably return in DLC.

- After Prey Raphael would like to stick with the FPS/Immersive sim genre, but explore more dynamic storytelling. Essentially open up the narrative like their gameplay.

- Most challenging part of developing Prey was harmony between all the systems and developing the look of the Aliens.

- Raphael’s favorite power is Shift.

- Early on they knew what they wanted the Prey experience to convert a sense of loneliness with a “heavy mood”.

- Lavish craft designed to reflect corporate luxury of the 1960s Aesthetic came much later.

- Scanning is intentionally restrictive and uncomfortable so players don’t stay in it a la Batman Arkham Asylum.

If anyone has questions, feel free to ask.

Stoze

Can't you just jump through the window? Also is that all demo stuff? Seems like I have a lot to see still.

In that case yes, but in the demo once you get to the open lobby, there's a security office but the door to it is locked. With the crossbow you can
shoot through the little hole in the unbreakable transaction windows and bounce it to hit the door button from the otherside.

And no, that video isn't from the demo but a preview from later in the game media outlets got to play.

liftedly

In that case yes, but in the demo once you get to the open lobby, there's a security office but the door to it is locked. With the crossbow you can
shoot through the little hole in the unbreakable transaction windows and bounce it to hit the door button from the otherside.

And no, that video isn't from the demo but a preview from later in the game media outlets got to play.

You can also
crawl through the vent above the door
to get into the security office.

Stoze

You can also
crawl through the vent above the door
to get into the security office.
Yeah, that's how I did it.

There's a couple powered down computers and a door in the demo, and I notice if you use your stun gun or emp grenade on the computers it makes a sound like they're starting up. I wonder if in the full game that's supposed to work, or if you get something later on that can directly power them up.

Mascot

I've never been more disappointed in a demo. I was really expecting to love this game but it just didn't grab me at all.

PS4.

I'm calling it now
Morgan is a mimic made for testing the Neuromods but he develops a consciousness. The real Morgan is dead or is the handler. Prototype twist, which would be a bit too obvious.

I haven't finished the demo but
there are some scribbles early on that suggest someone (probably the mc) may have some sort of conscience outside their body, interestingly enough it even has "superluminal?" in it which i think suggests that you're like an aspect of the evil, uh, big mind that all monsters are part of and that they are a dimension traveling super conscience.

Spoo

I just tried the demo again (PS4), taking more time with it on this run to do some of the extra exploration available to you. I had to turn the music / sound pretty much all the way off to make this bearable.

Focusing primarily on the exploration aspect; it's the best thing the game has going for it. It's fun to hunt for key cards, or codes, etc. It's still really difficult to do the combat effectively on PS4, even having acclimated the latency, it's still so weighty I pretty much save before every encounter in case I fuck up.

There's a lot of little hidden stuff in the demo that I wish had been woven better into the demo.

I'd like to get the game on PC at this point. I may just get it on Steam and make use of the return policy if it's a wreck; it's about all I can do.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Why can't I find this for Xbox one?

Found it on the Xbox store instead

Exhausted the demo after about 2.5 hours yesterday, and holy hell is some of the negativity in here over the top. Of course there are issues that stand out immediately such as the aiming acceleration/lag, and the sound mix (which has become something of a running joke with Bethesda published games at this point), but at the core of Prey seems to be another meticulously detailed if slightly conventional (especially in narrative execution) immersive-sim. Combat isn't amazing, but when has it ever been in these games? The draw of interactivity, experimentation, exploration, and atmosphere in this small slice of the game seem to be intact. And that's without access to the abilities and zero-G sections.

Keeping my on the game for 10-15-20 hour impressions.

nOoblet16

Yeah, but the leaker turned out to be full of shit on a few things.

Remember the bit where he said that Russian Criminals are held in Psychotronics to become food for Typhon? The prisoner in Psychotronics in preview videos is Southern American and they don't kill those prisoners for sport. They use them to multiply Mimics and turn them into materials to make Neuromods.

And there's an achievement where you can escape Talos 1 without elimintating the Typhon for good. Which could dispel the whole fan-theory of ''Morgan is an alien!''

Point is, don't believe everything the guy leaked on 4chan. :p
Remember the FFXV story leak? It wasn't 100% accurate but it was pretty damn close which makes me believe that the leaked story was the true story at some point in development and then it had some changes done. Could be a similar case here, wouldn't be the first time that the leaked story receives some revision and changes while the overall plot largely stays unaffected from that change.

Top Bottom