• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey Demo: Opening Hour Thread: Everything is Going to Be OK

robin2

Just finished the demo, and I'm pretty safely on board. Feels very much like System Shock instead of Bioshock in terms of gameplay, which is what I was hoping for.
I was disappointed because with the recent videos/previews, it gave me the idea that the game was much more like Bioshock than System Shock. This thread is giving me the exact the opposite vibe: the (negative) comments depict a game more similar to SS than BS, which is exactly what I wanted.
Once the hardcore patch/dlc is out, I'll be full on board.

Johndoey

Banned
I don't know. I'm into the art-style and the music, but none of the story hooks did anything for me, and (I know people keep harping on this) various forms of amorphous black goo being the primary enemies is unfortunate. They aren't even in my top ten goo monsters. It feels like Morgan should be more agile than they are can't tell if that's an issue with input lag or just me not liking the default move speed.

Alebelly

someone ripped the music idk how, it was posted a month ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v4FFxR-uKA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ3Hznm5lgs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qerk85U-W5o

mick gordon channeling his inner trent reznor for that first one

I think the music is actually really good overall, but it's the music the starts blasting every time an enemy encounter starts. It might be fine as music piece by itself, but given the context and setting and how jarring and repetitive it becomes each time you encounter an enemy, no it's terrible.

EvB

I liked it!

I kinda like what they are doing with the music, they are using it to condition you to feel tense.
At first you just hear it when there is an enemy near by, then you start hearing it and THINKing there is an enemy near by

etta

my hard graphic balls
I liked it!

I kinda like what they are doing with the music, they are using it to condition you to feel tense.
At first you just hear it when there is an enemy near by, then you start hearing it and THINKing there is an enemy near by
Is that what's happening?
I thought the sound mixing was broken.

GavinUK86

I couldn't even get into it because after less than a minute of looking around with the delayed controls and horrible screen tearing/juddering whatever it was, I literally got sick to my stomach and had to turn off my Xbox One.

There is no input lag on XBO so that's just you having issues with aiming. I didn't notice any tearing either. The framerate does tank with reflections. /facepalm Jesus christ.

danowat

Banned
Finally managed to play through the demo, and, apart from a number of issues, it's not that bad, doesn't feel like a day one must buy though.

I didn't like the reliance on melee combat at the beginning of the demo, against quite mobile enemies, it didn't really work, felt shonky, but I think they were going for a level of fear that having a non-weapon against creatures gives.

I didn't like the lack of ADS, I know lots of other games do the same thing, but I just don't like not having it, especially when there is a zoom option.

The gloo gun feels like a gimmick.

The music crescendo when enemies attack is laugable, it would give a tangable fear effect, if it didn't start playing way too early before meeting the enemies, and finish way too late after defeating the enemies.

I did like the setting, found the way they allowed to player to alter the scenery and realise that they'd been living a lie and weren't seeing reality.

danowat

Banned
Gimmick implies that its only useful once. Its not just for freezing enemies, it's used for other stuff like making pathways for traversal and sealing off environmental hazards.

It's a versatile tool.

I think that will depend on the situations that occur further into the story.

Gimmick implies that its only useful once. Its not just for freezing enemies, it's used for other stuff like making pathways for traversal and sealing off environmental hazards.

It's a versatile tool.
Like I've said before I do really like the idea behind it, I just wish the first person platforming was better, but then again pretty much no game got that right except Mirror's Edge where it's the entire focus.

atpbx

Green man gaming are doing this for £31.99 on PC, so I've picked it up from there after the demo.

It's fun, but not £50 fun.

Oynox

Audio mixing quite buggy or really bad. Controls feel off as well. If they fix both issues the game will be very entertaining I think.

Sande

I think the mimics are reeeally close to being amazing enemies, but they fall just a bit short and end up being extremely obnoxious instead. There's just so much random clutter thrown around that they become impossible to tell apart from the rest. So you're either hitting/shooting every damn object in the game or just embrace the jump scares and possible health loss.

If I could spot them by being very observant, they'd be 10/10. Right now I'm not sure if any enemy has spoiled my enjoyment of a game as badly as they do.

Maybe they could have made their mimicry not perfect or the placement a bit more obviously out of place? I actually love a scared mimic trying to hide because it actually becomes this situation of cat and mouse where you usually can tell where/what they are. I think they should try to capture that for the initial encounter as well.

ActWan

Just finished the demo, and all in all, I loved it. Going to buy the game.
It feels like a Deus Ex and Bioshock combination, and the plot is really interesting...I loved the environments and atmosphere too.
My problems with it are:

-Soundtrack is annoying. The audio cues for discovering stuff are great, but the "combat music" that starts while just looking at an enemy is horrid and lasts way too long after the threat has been dealt with. It would've been better off without any soundtrack - only the small audio cues.

-There's a problem with the colors in this game. Sometimes in combat they all become a huge blurred mess and you can't make out anything. I hope they fix it.

-There's also a small problem with the controls and input lag. Hope they fix this too.

-Graphics looked a bit shoddy at times (that helicopter ride scene looked straight out of an early last gen game) but it's a rather small issue on my side.

atpbx

I think the mimics are reeeally close to being amazing enemies, but they fall just a bit short and end up being extremely obnoxious instead. There's just so much random clutter thrown around that they become impossible to tell apart from the rest. So you're either hitting/shooting every damn object in the game or just embrace the jump scares and possible health loss.

If I could spot them by being very observant, they'd be 10/10. Right now I'm not sure if any enemy has spoiled my enjoyment of a game as badly as they do.

Maybe they could have made their mimicry not perfect or the placement a bit more obviously out of place? I actually love a scared mimic trying to hide because it actually becomes this situation of cat and mouse where you usually can tell where/what they are. I think they should try to capture that for the initial encounter as well.

They aren't perfect.......

That's not a dig, I was done by them a couple of times, but you can spot most of them.

atpbx

Just finished the demo, and all in all, I loved it. Going to buy the game.
It feels like a Deus Ex and Bioshock combination, and the plot is really interesting...I loved the environments and atmosphere too.
My problems with it are:

-Soundtrack is annoying. The audio cues for discovering stuff are great, but the "combat music" that starts while just looking at an enemy is horrid and lasts way too long after the threat has been dealt with. It would've been better off without any soundtrack - only the small audio cues.

-There's a problem with the colors in this game. Sometimes in combat they all become a huge blurred mess and you can't make out anything. I hope they fix it.

-There's also a small problem with the controls and input lag. Hope they fix this too.

-Graphics looked a bit shoddy at times (that helicopter ride scene looked straight out of an early last gen game) but it's a rather small issue on my side.

Beginning to sound like a shill here, but I think the helicopter scene is supposed to look iffy, especially once you look back on it.

I played it last night. Thought it was enjoyable but so highly derivative of System Shock and Half-Life. Still, from what I played I liked using the Gloo gun (pretty unique weapon) but the controls felt very off to me, especially when fighting a mimic. Oh, and the combat music is extremely annoying and waaaay too loud.

Beginning to sound like a shill here, but I think the helicopter scene is supposed to look iffy, especially once you look back on it.
That was something I had a question about

OK so there's the helicopter in one of the Sim rooms but there's definitely not enough space to make it believable that we went all the way from our apartment to the Transtar building, how did they do that?

Luckily for you, there's a Psychoscope chipset that allows you to spot Mimics while mimicking as objects.

KORNdoggy

I did like the setting, found the way they allowed to player to alter the scenery and realise that they'd been living a lie and weren't seeing reality.

I do wish that stuff was drawn out some more though. Its like 5 seconds pass and your running around with a gloo gun, pistol and wrench and knee deep in mimics. I kinda wanted the build up to be longer. It just sort of happens and you don't really have time to appreciate any of it beyond "ohhh, look at that cool broken glass hologram effect"

That was something I had a question about

OK so there's the helicopter in one of the Sim rooms but there's definitely not enough space to make it believable that we went all the way from our apartment to the Transtar building, how did they do that?

Holographic display room which can project any imagery both static and moving + vibrations and movement of the chopper to mimic movement. Like those shitty rides you can go on in theme parks that look like white shuttles.

Apdiddy

I'm at the start of the demo and I get really strong Half-Life vibes everywhere. Not really sure that's a good way for it to start. It feels like a greatest hits compilation of similar games like System Shock, Half-Life, BioShock, and Deus Ex.

Sande

They aren't perfect.......

That's not a dig, I was done by them a couple of times, but you can spot most of them.
What's the tell? Any characteristics I've seen mimics having are also possessed by half of the regular objects. And then there are mimics that aren't following those rules anyway to throw you on a loop even more.

Like, okay, I'm getting most mimics too when I hit every slightly suspicious object, but that's precisely what I wouldn't want to be doing.

Luckily for you, there's a Psychoscope chipset that allows you to spot Mimics while mimicking as objects.
Really? That's amazing. Does it make it really obvious though? Because like I said, I love the idea of the mimics so I wouldn't like to see the whole cat and mouse aspect removed either.

What's the tell? Any characteristics I've sen mimics having are also possessed by half of the regular objects. And then there are mimics that aren't following those rules anyway to throw you on a loop even more.

Like, okay, I'm getting most mimics too when I hit every slightly suspicious objects, but that's precisely what I wouldn't want to be doing.

Really? That's amazing.

Does it make it really obvious though? Because like I said, I love the idea of the mimics so I wouldn't like to see the whole cat and mouse aspect removed either.

Basically, the chipset shows a puts a marker Mimic while in their mimicking state (let's say a garbage can).

Its nice if you grow sick of their cat and mouse aspect, but it kinda removes the suspense IMO.

Oh, and I'd like to say that the Psychscope feels claustrophobic when using it (from what I've seen of the gameplay videos), so only use it when its necessary

I feel like the reception in this thread would be very different had everyone played the Xbox version rather than the PS4.

Indeed

Also, tried a demo run where I unlocked the Slow-mo neuromod first this time and yeah, between that and Gloogun, mimics are a non-issue

I mean, it's cool because it feeds back into the idea that this species to too fast/too unpredictable for a normal, un-enhanced human to handle, hence everyone get's quickly overwhelmed.

plushyp

I'll go for a no-alien power run because sci-fi media has taught me to not inject otherworldly goo into the human body. Also won't kill any humans which I bet will net me the best ending.

That 0451 code is everywhere. Last time I used it was in Mankind Divided.

lol, which itself was an homage to the code being used in Human Revolution- there's even a trophy for guessing it at the first door you hit in Mankind Divided

loved that Arkane threw it in here as an obvious easter egg

I
Holographic display room which can project any imagery both static and moving + vibrations and movement of the chopper to mimic movement. Like those shitty rides you can go on in theme parks that look like white shuttles.

Yeah I suppose + fans which a lot of the emails mention.

lol, which itself was an homage to the code being used in Human Revolution- there's even a trophy for guessing it at the first door you hit in Mankind Divided

Technically, the whole easter egg started with System Shock 1 (Developed by Looking Glass). The first code was basically 451.

It's very weird how all of a sudden there is super tense music. I have no idea why or what triggered it.

As the complaints mentioned, they persist even when there's no enemies nearby,

Should be fixed on release

And Human Revolution used it as homage to the original Deus Ex lol. Googling looks like System Shock and Bioshock used it too.

System Shock released before the original Deus Ex but urban dictionary (lol) says it started with Deus Ex? Probably started with System Shock.

Edit: yeah, started with System Shock

Top Bottom