• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey Demo: Opening Hour Thread: Everything is Going to Be OK

BigEmil

Weird how other 60fps first person shooters on the same platforms look better visually than Prey's 30fps visuals

pretty psyched for this game after playing a bit of the demo.

Feels more System Shock than Bioshock which I love, much more thorough irt inventory and skill trees and such.

I feel like most people complaining in this thread are picturing a fast paced action shooter with snappy controls...which is pretty confusing to me but.

jem0208

Maybe don't ship a demo on the largest installbase with crappy input lag then?

True, they definitely fucked up in that regard. That said I feel like the game is getting an unfair negative reception because of it.

Listening to some of the ripped music on YouTube and damn, Mick Gordon has done a fantastic job. This is damn creepy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ3Hznm5lgs. Genuinely sets me on edge just listening to it.

EGM1966

True, they definitely fucked up in that regard. That said I feel like the game is getting an unfair negative reception because of it.

Listening to some of the ripped music on YouTube and damn, Mick Gordon has done a fantastic job. This is damn creepy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ3Hznm5lgs. Genuinely sets me on edge just listening to it.

How is it unfair to critize an actual objective flaw?

They know the biggest install base is PS4, they have their very own XB1 version to compare it to... there's really little excuse for having input lag on PS4 and not XB1 at this point in the gen.

And it'll cost them because now they've got the largest install base grumbling with bad WoM.

Shame I agree as I like these kinds of games a lot but its not unfair. It's warranted.

jem0208

How is it unfair to critize an actual objective flaw?

They know the biggest install base is PS4, they have their very own XB1 version to compare it to... there's really little excuse for having input lag on PS4 and not XB1 at this point in the gen.

And it'll cost them because now they've got the largest install base grumbling with bad WoM.

Shame I agree as I like these kinds of games a lot but its not unfair. It's warranted.

Unfair because apparently it'll be fixed for launch and because of the bolded.

Based off of the demo I think the game is shaping up fantastically and I think it's unfair that a ton of people are going to be turned off of it because of a technical issue which hopefully shouldn't be present in the final product.

Dragoshi1

I liked the demo very much, a gripe I have though, that seems to be common, is that the encounter music is loud, and overstays its welcome.

Otherwise, damn. Mimics are cool, those human-like enemies are creepy, and the GLOO gun is pretty neat, used it to clog some pipes spewing acid/fire and tried building stairs, but failed.

Sande

I feel like most people complaining in this thread are picturing a fast paced action shooter with snappy controls...which is pretty confusing to me but.
What about the game justifies bad controls? Why should any game ever have bad controls? I've never understood this mindset.

Good aiming should always be a goal. You can always introduce weapon sway and bullet spread if your character is supposed to be a bad shot.

Overall bad aiming essentially means that your character can't turn their head and eyes correctly. Which is fine I guess if they're supposed to have some kind of medical condition. But to do that because you don't want the character to be an elite soldier is putting the cart before the horse.

Pinewood

What about the game justifies bad controls? Why should any game ever have bad controls? I've never understood this mindset.

Good aiming should always be a goal. You can always introduce weapon sway and bullet spread if your character is supposed to be a bad shot.

Overall bad aiming essentially means that your character can't turn their head and eyes correctly. Which is fine I guess if they're supposed to have some kind of medical condition. But to do that because you don't want the character to be an elite soldier is putting the cart before the horse.
This. Have scarcer ammo, tougher enemies etc, but make the weapon handling good. Right now Im wasting ammo just because Im struggling with the controls trying to hit a small moving target.

Based off of the demo I think the game is shaping up fantastically and I think it's unfair that a ton of people are going to be turned off of it because of a technical issue which hopefully shouldn't be present in the final product.

It's not really unfair. Promises of it being fixed are great and all but there's no guarantee until post launch when the game is in the hands of folks and tests are done (especially when Dishonored 2 still has the issue post launch).

If they want people to give it another chance, update the demo with a fix and let them try it out. Otherwise, consumers will judge your $60 product by the 1 hour demo you put out and make a purchasing decision based off their experiences.

As a consumer, that seems like the very definition of fair to me. Especially this generation, where promises of games being fixed and issues being addressed are a dime a dozen.

Kneecap

Basically, the chipset shows a puts a marker Mimic while in their mimicking state (let's say a garbage can).

Its nice if you grow sick of their cat and mouse aspect, but it kinda removes the suspense IMO.

Oh, and I'd like to say that the Psychscope feels claustrophobic when using it (from what I've seen of the gameplay videos), so only use it when its necessary
But in an interview one of the developers said that getting any particular chipset is RNG based.

I mean how old is the build for this demo. Sometimes things are already known and have fixes in place cause a demo is 1 or 2 months old or more. The problem with demos honestly. Cant seem to win usually. No demo means they are scared to play, early demo and problems means its fucked and the final game is a mess.

I mean how old is the build for this demo. Sometimes things are already known and have fixes in place cause a demo is 1 or 2 months old or more. The problem with demos honestly. Cant seem to win usually. No demo means they are scared to play, early demo and problems means its fucked and the final game is a mess.

The demo went live just a few days ago, the game has to have gone gold long before. Why would you ship a demo with an outdated build?

Even if there is a Day 1 patch to fix these issues, that's precious bandwidth. In the age of data caps, publishers (or console makers?) should start working out zero-rate agreements with ISPs. It's not like net neutrality is going to get in their way!

Sande

I'd imagine they'll sort out the action music and improve controls a bit for release or day 1 patch at the latest, but still, these are honestly things that should already have been in order for the demo.

KORNdoggy

The demo only exists because of desperation due to the games complete lack of fanfare surrounding its approaching release. My guess is they knew it was going to sell horribly either way just like dishonored 2 so threw a demo out in the hopes it might convince a few extra people and get people excited.

Sadly it seems to have done the complete opposite and it'll probably get even less sales compared to if it had no demo at all.

It really should have been a better demo. There really is no excuse for one version having input lag when the others do not.

I turned the sensitivity down to 10 and didn't really have much issue - Dark Souls and Killzone 2 are examples of games that have really floaty controls where I think it works? Idk 60 FPS/ COD-style smoothness isnt a requirement for me

BlizzKrut

Banned
The demo only exists because of desperation due to the games complete lack of fanfare surrounding its approaching release. My guess is they knew it was going to sell horribly either way just like dishonored 2 so threw a demo out in the hopes it might convince a few extra people and get people excited.

Sadly it seems to have done the complete opposite and it'll probably get even less sales compared to if it had no demo at all.

It really should have been a better demo. There really is no excuse for one version having input lag when the others do not.

Man this game really did kill your puppy.

Sande

I turned the sensitivity down to 10 and didn't really have much issue - Dark Souls and Killzone 2 are examples of games that have really floaty controls where I think it works? Idk 60 FPS/ COD-style smoothness isnt a requirement for me
Dark Souls has really crisp and responsive controls. The movement has weight and momentum to it, sure, and that's fine. If I remember correctly, Killzone 2 had quite a bit of input lag which made the controls feel stiffer than necessary.

Handling as well as COD might not be necessary, but it's something to strive towards. People aren't some clumsy robots that take seconds to rotate so I don't know why games should deliberately go for that. At best it takes me out of the experience and at worst gives me nausea.

EGM1966

Has w would I know that? They put out a demo to allow me to evaluate their product. I- nor anyone else - should need to also search around to find this out.

If it's going to be fixed for launch it should have already been fixed for the demo.

The bad WoM va the demo is fair. It's their mistake not consumers.

Every new game needs to have pro support right? So this should get it too?

No, some games have not had Pro support recently. It most likely will but it's not a guarantee.

And we might be locked out of downsampling on 1080p TVs if it ends up having support if Dishonored 2 is any indication.

I can get why publishers might pump the brakes on doing demos after seeing this thread. It's been overarching complaints and hyperbole how the game is qualitatively shit when the developer has even commented directly about those fixes that are happening.

Demos are usually separate submission packages for devs and is indicative as a taste of the game rather than opening it up to technical review up and down, DF analysis and such

IDK bums me out to see people so down on this when I think the core gameplay, concept, execution are really well done albeit some control & audio issues.

Or maybe the game just isn't striking a chord with some people, which is fine too

EDIT: Prime example: I don't think this should be necessarily the standard of evaluation? We can wait one week and see if the issues persist, but saying a demo should have the polish of the final product is questionable eval imo

If it's going to be fixed for launch it should have already been fixed for the demo.

jem0208

Has w would I know that? They put out a demo to allow me to evaluate their product. I- nor anyone else - should need to also search around to find this out.

The bad WoM va the demo is fair. It's their mistake not consumers.

Okay.

You've got a bit of a "consumers vs devs" mentality going on at the moment which isn't what I'm getting it.

It's unfair for everyone involved that the game is getting a negative rep because of a technical issue in a demo.

It's unfair for the gamers who are disappointed in the demo due to the input lag, it's unfair for the devs who had nothing to do with the input lag that their work is being tarnished by it. It's generally just a shitty situation,

KORNdoggy

Okay.

You've got a bit of a "consumers vs devs" mentality going on at the moment which isn't what I'm getting it.

It's unfair for everyone involved that the game is getting a negative rep because of a technical issue in a demo.

It's unfair for the gamers who are disappointed in the demo due to the input lag, it's unfair for the devs who had nothing to do with the input lag that their work is being tarnished by it. It's generally just a shitty situation which I think is unfair.

That seems like the definition of fair. How are the devs not responsible for their own demo having input lag? Thats on them. And if its on them, then consumer judgement based on the demo they deemed a fair representation of their game, is also fair. Nothing about this situation is unfair.

If anything its merely a shame the devs put out a crappy demo. Because its ultimately going to bite them in the ass about something they CLAIM will be rectified, but we have no proof of that actually being the case yet...but all that is squarely on them.

Top Bottom