• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey Demo: Opening Hour Thread: Everything is Going to Be OK

FelipeMGM

Arkane made the whole situation with Jason Schreier leaks about Prey (aka ''Press Sneak Fuck'' thing) a trophy/achievement in the game lol. Really awesome

C-biS48XYAY5hyb.jpg:large

Regarding the music issue, it's going to be fixed at launch.

From a Bethesda CM on the /r/prey subreddit:

Good to know, this and the control issues which they say it will be addressed too were my only concerns. Will wait a few days after the release tho to be sure

drotahorror

Maybe one day we'll get working mirrors in a modern video game.

I remember in The Last of Us, in the intro there's a working mirror but the game never had another one.

I think I'll wait and get it on PC if the port is good. I agree though, these games are slow of console. It just doesn't feel designed for a controller.

I think there's a PC demo coming first week of May.

Maybe one day we'll get working mirrors in a modern video game.

I remember in The Last of Us, in the intro there's a working mirror but the game never had another one.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the primary reason reflective mirrors aren't implemented in games is because they're resource-intensive.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I can confirm the game works on PS4 Pro.

God's speed.

Based on comments on the last few pages I'm interested in knowing whether or not its patched/improved in any way. Sounding like the performance is shite, but that could be typical gaf hyperbole.

Zoracka

Started the demo, got on the helicopter, got out of the helicopter and jumped into the blades. I died and had to start over from the beginning. Best game.

Started the demo, got on the helicopter, got out of the helicopter and jumped into the blades. I died and had to start over from the beginning. Best game.
I really like the style of the opening, the presentation of the "dev presents" and gake title. Very slick

Aesthetic and character design is definitely reminiscent of Dishonored's stylized realism

Edit: interesting, seems like they're doing the Soma thing of
getting the obvious twst and implications out of the way early, and not even treating it like a twist

Mifec

Not sure you should put too much faith in that 4chan rumor.
It quickly becomes pretty clear that they're trying to give normal humans alien powers like telekinesis, stealth etc via neuromods, which is more supportive of you being a normal human.

Also, if you were an actual alien, why would the aliens attack you, while the turrets designed to detect alien life forms leave you alone?

The fact that everyone is surprised about you being able to exhibit empathy and not using any alien powers and most of the hidden achievements being about it is what makes me think that on it's own, not the leaks although they do go in line with it.

I'm not expecting an amazing story anyway but I do hope it's not exactly what it portrays itself to be.

Aesthetic and character design is definitely reminiscent of Dishonored's stylized realism

Edit: interesting, seems like they're doing the Soma thing of
getting the obvious twst and implications out of the way early, and not even treating it like a twist

Let's hope the story is even half as good as Soma's.

GavinUK86

Based on comments on the last few pages I'm interested in knowing whether or not its patched/improved in any way. Sounding like the performance is shite, but that could be typical gaf hyperbole.

I don't think the demo has any specific Pro mode. The performance is great though. Didn't notice any drops in framerate. The only issue on PS4 is input lag, which they know about and has apparently already been fixed for release.

The Third Heat

Neo Member
Is hitting mimics with the wrench supposed to be the worst? Did I miss a cooler weapon besides the GLOO gun (which isn't all that helpful in stopping them)? I feel like I die so fast on Normal and that I'm flailing around wildly as mimics attack me. Had to hard quit the demo because I wasn't having fun at all. Bummer.

And the music is too much. Glad to hear at least that will be fixed.

ymgve

Mimics seem like an enemy type that will work much better with KB+mouse where you can track their fast movements more easily.

Is hitting mimics with the wrench supposed to be the worst? Did I miss a cooler weapon besides the GLOO gun (which isn't all that helpful in stopping them)? I feel like I die so fast on Normal and that I'm flailing around wildly as mimics attack me. Had to hard quit the demo because I wasn't having fun at all. Bummer.

And the music is too much. Glad to hear at least that will be fixed.

That's the problem with Input Lag, which should be fixed on launch as well as the audio problem

renzolama

That's the problem with Input Lag, which should be fixed on launch as well as the audio problem

Yeah, I don't mean to be a negative Nancy, but having a single corporate response that problem <x> will be improved at launch means nothing. Dishonored 2 still has terrible analog controls with significant input latency on console. Tweaking an input curve can only reduce input latency if the latency is actually perceived due to the curve itself rather than being a true latency due to the engine's gameloop and how it handles input/frame drawing. Personally I'm not nearly as optimistic that this will be significantly improved at launch.

Edit: I should mention that aside from that frustration I enjoyed the demo

Yeah, that music that pops up with every mimic so far has gotten really annoying. It even plays if they're changed back to typhon now form but you haven't seen them

Haven't any issues with the controls yet

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Holy crap, controls are bad (or I messed up too much with sensitivity) and that music is annoying as hell

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'm gonna wait till my copy arrives from Amazon, but reading some impressions makes me believe this demo was created during development. I remember subtle changes to the RE4 demo compared to the launch version. The map and inventory screen especially. Maybe they'll address everything that's causing such issues.

Stoze

Yeah, I don't mean to be a negative Nancy, but having a single corporate response that problem <x> will be improved at launch means nothing. Dishonored 2 still has terrible analog controls with significant input latency on console. Tweaking an input curve can only reduce input latency if the latency is actually perceived due to the curve itself rather than being a true latency due to the engine's gameloop and how it handles input/frame drawing. Personally I'm not nearly as optimistic that this will be significantly improved at launch.

Edit: I should mention that aside from that frustration I enjoyed the demo

It's non-existent on the Xbox version apparently, so I would hope that's a decent indicator for the PS4 version on release.

I'm gonna wait till my copy arrives from Amazon, but reading some impressions makes me believe this demo was created during development. I remember subtle changes to the RE4 demo compared to the launch version. The map and inventory screen especially. Maybe they'll address everything that's causing such issues.

So far, the input lag and the persistent combat music are the major issues for a lot of people which are already being addressed.

Can't play until tomorrow evening at the earliest -- how are the early impressions generally?

Other than the input lag on PS4 and annoying combat music that persists, the impressions are pretty positive.

So if you loved Dishonored games or Bioshock, you probably should give the demo a shot

FelipeMGM

Played more today and explored as much as the demo lets you (I think)

Definitely my kind of game, the more I played the more I liked it. Hope the control issues and the music stuff are really resolved, because they were really annoying.

Played and beat the demo. Disappointed so I'll probably wait for a huge sale later before actually diving in.

I'm not a fan of Mick Gordons music so having it be blasting in my ear for so much of the demo while nothing is happening was not a good look.

Input lag plus melee combat just not being that good was also really disappointing (though the former is going to be fixed supposedly). But what really killed most of my interest in the game was how uninteresting the story and premise was and especially how it was presented. I don't feel compelled to explore or figure out what's going on at all.

pronk420

I didn't notice lag but it felt really hard to hit the mimics because of the way they warp around. Also they looked cool in the trailers but aren't actually that interesting in the game.

Its also a bit disappointing that playing it, I immediately thought 'oh its another one of these' - basically Deus Ex/Dishonoured/Bioshock. Based on the Prey 2 press impressions I was hoping they had done something a bit more imaginative, even though prey 2 was scrapped(?).

Zeneric

Disappointing reading the shitty impressions. especially the input lag. hopefully it's fixed/at least almost non existent for the pc version. i have to remind myself it's a demo. a demo is not a full game you get to experience fully. wasn't impressed with DOOM's demo but the full game, oh boy, one of greatest games of all time.

Spoo

Just finished playing the demo.

Yikes.

I mean, there's so much wrong with this demo, I can't actually believed they released it -- and I say that as someone who is willing to bend over backwards to ignore a *lot* since I've been a Prey fan for a while now.

I guess, first, the technical front -- it's a mess. And yes, I know, "Oh, all that will be fixed in the final release!", but promises like that are pretty suspect to me considering the way things tend to go. The controls are, as stated over and over again, messed up -- but actually, that's not the biggest problem with them. They can fix the input lag, and it's still going to be a *pain* to actually control your character in this game. Movement is all-together too "heavy", and reacting to enemies that can zip around and hurt you with very little feedback is not very fun. Collision detection with the Gloo gun is way too strict. Sliding doesn't really gain you much mobility (and appears to be glitched on certain surfaces -- oof!), either. In general, input lag aside, it feels a bit too slow and clunky. Loading times are pretty bad, and a lot of aliasing reduces the image quality (not sure if this is a bad AA solution altogether, or maybe dynamic resolution at play?). Framerate was *mostly* stable, which was surprising given everything else, but some hitches in loading new areas aren't well-disguised.

Sound mixing seems really, really off. Some sounds blare through and are almost deafening, just like the awkward music which is astoundingly bad considering the talent behind it. Almost seems like there isn't really a vision beyond "Can you just make it sound high-tech with some beeps and boops and wubba wubbas?" -- it feels kind of out of place with the tense atmosphere the story is trying to establish. I won't complain about the fact that sometimes the music appears out of nowhere and lasts for long after the encounter, because I know they say they'll fix it, but you can't really fix something that tonally feels off. In Doom, a lot of the hardcore music worked because your character was *always* running about, snatching ledges, blowing shit up and ripping the guts out of just about everything; here you're just kind of jumping around, fighting oversized spiders that occasionally think they can trick you by becoming a cup (only to decide a mere fraction of a second later that that isn't going to fool you, and they go right back to their other form).

I encountered a lot of bugs with this system, by the way. Conceptually, I fucking love it, but one of these mimics turned itself into a canister, and then decided it would start floating about in a spiral path downward, until it eventually disappeared right through the ground. Thankfully, that meant I didn't have to fight it, which is something I tried to avoid in this demo given how bad the controls were, but still, that's *probably* not supposed to happen.

For being a CryEngine game, I'm underwhelmed by the visuals; UE3 probably would have been a better choice, and looked better too, despite it being an entire engine iteration behind. Still, it's the console version, so my expectations weren't all that high to begin with.

Other than the big "reveal" of the demo, and the general sense of exploration and environment being interesting, pretty much hated this. And sure, a lot of this stuff can be fixed in the final release, but maybe they should have considered releasing this build months ago with a nice "Pre-Alpha" tag on it or something to let people know it's in a real bad place. Most people will assume that this is representative of what they'll get in a few days, and I'd guess that if they thought that, they'd cancel their pre-orders based on this.

If the final product doesn't see some major overhauls (that *actually* fix the problems), this is going to be a real rough game. In fact, I'd say anyone that has a PC should get it on that instead to avoid some of the difficulties here, but considering the fact that there's *no* demo for PC, and that Bethesda won't allow reviews until day one, I would *reallllly* hold off on even that until we can get DF impressions or something.

I didn't notice lag but it felt really hard to hit the mimics because of the way they warp around. Also they looked cool in the trailers but aren't actually that interesting in the game.

Its also a bit disappointing that playing it, I immediately thought 'oh its another one of these' - basically Deus Ex/Dishonoured/Bioshock. Based on the Prey 2 press impressions I was hoping they had done something a bit more imaginative, even though prey 2 was scrapped(?).

Its called Prey. Not Prey 2.

If you find it confusing, just refer Arkane's Prey as Prey 2017.

Top Bottom