• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Price Cut Official - Arcade $279, 20GB $299, 60GB $349, $120GB $449

duk said:
across the board price drop this fall believe

I'll agree to this, price cut as soon as Jasper rears its head. I don't think that in this economic climate companies will be cutting prices for the hell of it. Everyone is battening down the hatches and trying to keep the accounting books looking respectable.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
evlcookie said:
Why didnt they just ditch the 20 and replace it with the 60? Good lord MS, what are you doing.

That's precisely what they're saying in the damn PR...

Most people in this topic can't read for shit - it's a clearance price, the 20 gig Pro is going for good - how hard is that to understand?

Monocle

Bossman said:
That's just stupid. Most Xbox 360 users don't need the extra space.
What with DLC, XBLA's ever-expanding library of appealing titles and dozens of save files per game (in many cases), an active gamer's 20 gig HDD is left with minimal room for the fun nonessentials like demos and videos. As a shameless demo whore and digital packrat, it's a pain for me to have to worry about my 360's hard drive space every time some cool new thing comes along on Marketplace. Bringing it Home for E3 '08 is going to test the limits of both my HDD and my patience. To me, more space is definitely welcome.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
So, this is basically a fire sale for the 20GB before replacing it at the same price point with a 60GB model, interesting.

In my view they should have stuck with their 3 current models and reduced the price of the 20GB to $299 anyway, but what do I know?

Edit: Also, I have to say the gap between the 60GB and 120GB SKUs would be far too great once the 60GB hits, paying $100 more for 20>120GB and a nice black console is one thing, paying the same price difference for 60>120GB is quite another. I expect sales for the Elite to drop like a stone until that price drops.

Luckyman

Banned
Skilotonn said:

Most people in this topic can't read for shit - it's a clearance price, the 20 gig Pro is going for good - how hard is that to understand?

Yes, this is fake price drop all over again.

Skilotonn said:

FlashIsSorry.jpg

ZeoVGM

Banned
Well I hope you guys realize by this point that if the multiple SKUs weren't working out for them, they wouldn't still be doing it.

Polari

omg rite said:
Well I hope you guys realize by this point that if the multiple SKUs weren't working out for them, they wouldn't still be doing it.

Exactly. Microsoft aren't content trailing Nintendo.

It's third place or bust.

Sean

Banned
It's a step in the right direction for sure. Marketplace is such a huge part of the console with all the DLC and Video Store etc that it makes sense for a bigger HDD. 60GB is a nice sweet spot between the two PS3 SKU's (40/80) as well. A $299 60GB Jasper 360 will be really popular this fall I think.

This'll pretty much kill sales of their Elite SKU though - 60GB will be fine for nearly everyone. I think it'd be a good idea to include WiFi and a year subscription to XBL with the Elite to differentiate it some more.

duk

Banned
i bet they'll add wifi to the elite to make it more compelling and drop it to 399 this fall

(i wish)

TomServo

Bossman said:
That's just stupid. Most Xbox 360 users don't need the extra space.

It's actually more than tripling the usabale space. Figure 13GB usable on the 20GB drive vs. 53GB usable on the 60GB.

As much as I'd like the space for a rainy day, I'm one of the people that doesn't really need it. I think I've still got around 10GB free on my 20GB. For me, the download speed over a wired connection is fast enough that I don't think twice about deleting a demo once I've played it a few times. Even with only 3GB used on my drive, my download history probably totals in the hundreds of gigabytes.

Zerachiel

akachan ningen said:
You'd be a fool to get anything besides the 20.

It depends on what you want.

Someone who doesn't care about xbox live and xbox live arcade (which you should, at least the latter!) will be fine with a core.

20 GB is most likely to appeal to gamers, who only really need the storage for the above, which 20 GB handles quite easily.

Can't see a reason to get the 60 GB while the 20 GB is so cheap.

Elite's for people who want to be downloading a lot of HD content from XBLM.

So this is obviously just a clearance sale of the 20GB sku.

Any guesses on how many 20GB there currently are in the channels? There can't be more than a few hundred thousand right?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Bravo, MS. 4 SKUs. You will have that casual gamer in no time. I mean, why wouldn't you? Buying one of your consoles is so simple. 0.o

M3wThr33 said:
4 skus? God dammit. My brain hurts trying to figure that out.
Especially when it's a $20 difference for the Arcade.

Yeah, it's one of the stupidest things this gen: mult sku's (regardless of company)

2 skus is too much.

itsgreen

Tucah said:
4 SKUs, insane. The Arcade should be cheaper too.

20 gig is gone when they are gone... than everything will be the same again, except for the pro model will now have 60gb instead of 20gig

itsgreen

permutated said:
Yeah, it's one of the stupidest things this gen: mult sku's (regardless of company)

2 skus is too much.

except, everyone wishes that that one sku company had a more beefy second sku :)

FightyF

Banned
The whole point of the "Core" SKU from the get-go was to have a unit at mass market price so sales could really accelerate. So what is MS thinking at this point?

Either:
1) Don't want to "cheapen" the console when compared to the Wii (they shouldn't be focused on the Wii, they aren't competing for Wii sales, everyone who wants a Wii is focused on getting it and nothing else)
2) They can't (highly unlikely)
3) Weak dollar (even more reason to reduce the price to have a highly affordable SKU out there)

It's funny how the armchair analysts at GAF called it as soon as the SKU was announced in 2005.

It's funny how nonsensical MS has been this generation in terms of packaging and promoting their product. So many aspects of the 360 are great...but they totally fumbled the ball in the marketing and promotion of the console.

AMUSIX

yup, had this coming...actually did the price drop on Friday...only we also dropped the price of the Elite to $399 (with Forza and Marvel)...

After the 60 comes out, I won't be ordering any more Elites, as there is little to no reason for it.

legend166

FightyF said:
The whole point of the "Core" SKU from the get-go was to have a unit at mass market price so sales could really accelerate. So what is MS thinking at this point?

Either:
1) Don't want to "cheapen" the console when compared to the Wii (they shouldn't be focused on the Wii, they aren't competing for Wii sales, everyone who wants a Wii is focused on getting it and nothing else)
3) Weak dollar (even more reason to reduce the price to have a highly affordable SKU out there)

It's funny how the armchair analysts at GAF called it as soon as the SKU was announced in 2005.

It's funny how nonsensical MS has been this generation in terms of packaging and promoting their product. So many aspects of the 360 are great...but they totally fumbled the ball in the marketing and promotion of the console.

Another thing:

If rumours are to be believed, Microsoft are going to launch a big push for the 'casual' gamer. Lips, waggle wand, avatars, etc. How do they expect to get them at these prices?

1. The Elite needs something to make it seem more...well, Elite! Wireless dongle would be a very useful addition in the box, although I think that an extra controller/games bundle might be more likely.

2. With the increase in the standard HDD size, the Arcade's 256mb memory stick looks very paltry indeed. I think they should up the bundled memory unit to 512mb to make that bit more attractive. (Especially since the Arcade is aimed at the casual gaming Guitar Hero/Rock Band/Lips sort of crowd. Give them a bit more space to download those track pack DLC to)

FightyF

Banned
sionyboy said:
2. With the increase in the standard HDD size, the Arcade's 256mb memory stick looks very paltry indeed. I think they should up the bundled memory unit to 512mb to make that bit more attractive. (Especially since the Arcade is aimed at the casual gaming Guitar Hero/Rock Band/Lips sort of crowd. Give them a bit more space to download those track pack DLC to)

I think the whole purpose of the memory unit is to basically say, "If you want to play games like GTA IV, Gears 2, Madden 09...you just need to buy this $279 console".

That is to say, the mem card covers game saves and that's about it. Anyone looking into downloading demos and playing XBLA games would need to get an HDD.

TheOddOne

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Microsofts E3 is gonna suck, we already know nearly everything.

Some might have ''leaked'' but what has leaked has all been ''WTF''. I think we will see stuff we still havn't heard about.

mclem

Gnngh. Last night I was just about ready to order a 360 (couldn't make up my mind between Pro and Elite), and now I'm back to indecision. Need EU details STAT!

itsgreen

FightyF said:

Either:

IMO, they can't at this moment, not untill a proper price drop comes this fall.

They can't have the price of the premium be lower than the Arcade + harddrive... so untill they have a price drop across the line, the Arcade can't be cheaper.

I think MS is quite ok with the HW sale numbers, they most likely make money at this point on every console sold, and with the software numbers, they are just very very good.

It is just waiting now till the hardware refresh kicks in, and not far after that the console will lower in price again.

itsgreen

mclem said:
Gnngh. Last night I was just about ready to order a 360 (couldn't make up my mind between Pro and Elite), and now I'm back to indecision. Need EU details STAT!

Maybe tomorrow ;)

But wouldn't count on it, E3 is mostly a US party...

_Xenon_

Banned
Basically Apple's business model ruined everything.

This gen (hardware wise) sucks monkey ass, and I doubt next gen would be better.

mclem said:
They just had a price-drop. The Premium is only 10 € more expensive than the Wii - I don't think they'll add more value to the Premium package (plus they also have the value bundle with Forza 2 and VP for 269,99 €).

But if you've waited this long you might as well wait till later this year, they might have another price drop then.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
akachan ningen said:
So it's a fake price drop then? I guess Sony won't feel any pressure to drop the price after all.
yes, the same thing sony did when it introduced the 80GB PS3.. that is EXACTLY what it is. A price drop without really dropping prices. So no, I don't see sony lowering the prices. For $50 more you get a Blu-ray player, and frankly now that blu-rays are being openly and widely advertised by everybody (studios and retailers) that's a pretty good proposition for $50. I can honestly say everyone is finally competitively priced.. well, except Nintendo who will continue to own the market at $250 for 2 years now without a single price drop.

Top Bottom