• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Price Cut Official - Arcade $279, 20GB $299, 60GB $349, $120GB $449

Gantz

Banned
SapientWolf said:
Those 20GB HDs have to be seeing a price drop too, due to sheer supply and demand. Getting an Arcade would be incredibly stupid right now.

Funny you mention that. I saw 4 ghetto fabulous thugs on the subway yesterday with 4 tard packs from gamestop. No joke. I think Microsoft knows what they're doing :lol

FrankT

Gantz said:
Funny you mention that. I saw 4 ghetto fabulous thugs on the subway yesterday with 4 tard packs from gamestop. No joke. I think Microsoft knows what they're doing :lol

:lol Awesome

Elite at $399 on amazon? Hmm, yea I would go with that over 20gb, but it's probably a short timed deal.

_Xenon_ said:
Basically Apple's business model ruined everything.

This gen (hardware wise) sucks monkey ass, and I doubt next gen would be better.

Referring to keeping the price constant but increasing functionality per revision?

FFChris

They'd better phase out the 20GB SKU, it's completely pointless now.

Geez MS, you really are a bunch of greedy bastards.

Walshicus

FFChris said:
They'd better phase out the 20GB SKU, it's completely pointless now.

Geez MS, you really are a bunch of greedy bastards.
"In addition, Microsoft today dropped the price of its 20GB Xbox 360 console in the U.S. and Canada to just $299 (U.S.) (ERP) while supplies last"

It was even bolded.

FFChris

Sir Fragula said:
"In addition, Microsoft today dropped the price of its 20GB Xbox 360 console in the U.S. and Canada to just $299 (U.S.) (ERP) while supplies last"

It was even bolded.

Thanks, I do need a little help sometimes. :lol

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't the price of the 60GB HDD $99? If so, thats why they are not lowering the price of the core. Cause then smart people would pay the same price for a core + HDD as the 60GB model.

I think people would be ok with MS's 5 differnt flavors of 360's if they sold the "detachable" HDD's at normal prices. Give us: $20 20gb, $60-70 60gb and $100 - 130 120gb. The current pricing doesn't make sense with how they originally positioned this sale to us. They originally said that everything was totally upgradable and people wouldn't be adversely impacted by buying their tard packs.

FFChris

Mamesj said:
this is capitalism, dude.

Yup. They still have wireless left for 'upgrading' as well. No doubt they'll keep their prices high as long as Sonys PS3 is still higher.

I already have a 360, I'm just pissed off that others are missing out because MS are being so stingy. Heck, if MS actually did a meaningful ($100) pricedrop once in a while they'd have second place in this generation wrapped up.

I know. All this shit does is confuse customers and at the end of the day no one even knows the price dropped look at the small rise in PS3 sales this time last year when they did the same shit with the 60gb.

Mau ®

I think they're missing some big opportunities with the Arcade at that price. Why not go head to head with the Wii's price? Or even make it slightly cheaper ($20 less).

I think the proper price cut will come on holidays. This move reeks of Sony at E3 2007 where they cut the price of the 60GB and introduced the 80GB at the older price. Then on the holidays they did a real price cut with the 80GB (to clear the channel) and introduced the 40GB.

So there is no price drop per say and is just a replacement...

That Arcade pack should be close to $200 by now i wonder what MS is thinking.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Here in NA, a 40GB PS3 at $399.99 with built-in wireless and built-in Blu-ray looks a hell of a lot better this week for NCAA Football and Madden down the road. MS is asking people to pay more for less hardware that has a less than reliable durabilty record.

FrankT

DenogginizerOS said:
Here in NA, a 40GB PS3 at $399.99 with built-in wireless and built-in Blu-ray looks a hell of a lot better this week for NCAA Football and Madden down the road. MS is asking people to pay more for less hardware that has a less than reliable durabilty record.

Well if that is the case, by your logic, then I would assume the consumer will agree with this sentiment for July NPD then.

DenogginizerOS said:

You really hate Microsoft now don't you now ahah.

It's obvious Microsoft no longer cares about finishing at any position. They just want to make money on the business. Sony will overtake them for 2nd, and they could give a flip. That's what this news tells me anyway.

le.phat

Jtyettis said:
Well if that is the case, by your logic, then I would assume the consumer will agree with this sentiment for July NPD then.

PS3 is going to outsell 360 by a conciderate amount in july, but that's probably because of MGS4.

FrankT

le.phat said:
PS3 is going to outsell 360 by a conciderate amount in july, but that's probably because of MGS4.

Whatever bump MGS4 has had that time has come and gone. Japan (HD and SW) being clear trend of that not to mention UK (at least software although ChartTrack said there was only a 7% bump for first week HW as well) sales as well.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
HocusPocus said:
You really hate Microsoft now don't you now ahah.

It's obvious Microsoft no longer cares about finishing at any position. They just want to make money on the business. Sony will overtake them for 2nd, and they could give a flip. That's what this news tells me anyway.
I would say disappointed and frustrated with more than hate. They have done a lot of great things with the X360.

NR1

Whipped Spartan said:
I know. All this shit does is confuse customers and at the end of the day no one even knows the price dropped look at the small rise in PS3 sales this time last year when they did the same shit with the 60gb.

I completely agree. Just look at this. Let me know if any of the information is incorrect...

US 11/22/05
Pro $399.99
Core $299.99
Arcade n/a
Elite n/a
New 60GB(?) n/a

US 04/29/07
Pro ""
Core ""
Arcade n/a
Elite $479.99
New 60GB(?) n/a

US 10/12/07
Pro ""
Core n/a
Arcade $279.99
Elite ""
New 60GB(?) n/a

US 07/13/08
Pro $299.99
Core n/a
Arcade ""
Elite $449.99
New 60GB(?) $349.99

In nearly 3 years, Microsoft has released no less than 5 retail configurations at several price points with a few price drops, but yet the price of the system is no cheeper since launch! Sure you have some added value here and there, but this is just headache inducing.

Nintendo got it right... one retail configuration. Period.

Edit: Better price chart.

JudgeN

Whipped Spartan said:

Customer confusion is overrated, personally it gives the customer more choices to make a decision. Last time i checked GAF was all about the mighty choice.

HolyStar

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Whatever bump MGS4 has had that time has come and gone. Japan (HD and SW) being clear trend of that not to mention UK (at least software although ChartTrack said there was only a 7% bump for first week HW as well) sales as well.

Yeah, here is one thing about sales, regardless of how the PS3 does in Japan and Euroland, the 360 will ALWAYS be ahead of the PS3 in the U.S.

Weisheit

inthezone said:
I think they're missing some big opportunities with the Arcade at that price. Why not go head to head with the Wii's price? Or even make it slightly cheaper ($20 less).
The Arcade is only $20 more right now (it's even cheaper in many counties), so no they're not missing some big opportunities. The 360 simply can't compete with the Wii in its current state, and it has nothing to do with price....you really think its that daunting $20 difference thats scaring people away?

FrankT

open_mouth_ said:
by Thanksgiving:

Core-$249
Pro $60GB-$299
Pro 20GB-Discontinued

PS3 down to $349?

Sounds about right. I think this sets up for at least one price cut before Black Friday.

Mrbob

Haha I knew this would happen. Era of the fake price drops.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony kept their prices this year. We need to see June NPD to gauge how well the MGS4 PS3 sold. Sony may just rotate high profile games in the 80GB bundle (as it costs a a little over a dollar to press a blu ray disc and viola 59.99 value) to keep hardware sales going all year.

Pimpwerx

How have stores been stocking SKUs? I ask b/c this number of SKUs have to split shelf-space, and there's not a great deal left now with the Wii taking over. PEACE.

bran

What a joke, 60GB?
Who gives a rat's ass about drive capacity again? Where is my packed-in wireless+blu-ray?

fse

NR1 said:
I completely agree. Just look at this. Let me know if any of the information is incorrect...

US 11/22/05
Pro $399.99
Core $299.99
Arcade n/a
Elite n/a
New 60GB(?) n/a

US 04/29/07
Pro ""
Core ""
Arcade n/a
Elite $479.99
New 60GB(?) n/a

US 10/12/07
Pro ""
Core n/a
Arcade $279.99
Elite ""
New 60GB(?) n/a

US 07/13/08
Pro $299.99
Core n/a
Arcade ""
Elite $449.99
New 60GB(?) $349.99

In nearly 3 years, Microsoft has released no less than 5 retail configurations at several price points with a few price drops, but yet the price of the system is no cheeper since launch! Sure you have some added value here and there, but this is just headache inducing.

Nintendo got it right... one retail configuration. Period.

Edit: Better price chart.

PS3:
20GB
60GB
40GB
80GB motorstorm
40GB MGS4

Wii:
$249 1 SKU
:D

Blueblur1

This is ridiculous. I feel bad for people out there that can only afford one new console and 'jump in' before a real price cut hits.

LCfiner

There better be a real price cut on all SKUs before thanksgiving. 50 bucks off in nearly 3 years? That's pretty shameful, actually.

The only other piece of tech that I've seen stay at the same price over the 3 years is the HD PVR from my cable company ($600). And, surprise, surprise, HD PVRs aren't selling too hot.

Remember kids: With MS, it's all about choice. Bewildering, paralyzing choice.

itsgreen

Again, the price will drop this holiday, I think, when the new motherboard arrives...

And yes the price hasn't dropped significantly, but you are getting more value for your money...

123rl

The silly impulse-buyer part of my brain wants me to import a US Arcade pack - at this price I'd be able to get a US Arcade pack delivered to my house for about £160...it'll be a cheap and easy way for me to get around the cocksuckers at EA delaying Rock Band 2

Top Bottom